Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

The whole "caveman" thing kinda falls flat when you start with a space ship, 3d printer, and a high tech matter manipulator, and you have to use said manipulator to cut down your first tree, and mine the stone for your first pickaxe. if it can do all that, why cant I just freaking use that instead of having to bang rocks together for progress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Feenix posted:

Holy gently caress. You can! But since it's not a tool MADE for that, it's not the most efficient way.

Jesus Christ some of these complaints are bordering on the dense at this point.

This is tantamount to crash landing on
a planet with pistol and wondering why you'd still need to craft a sledgehammer instead of shooting tiny bullets at a brick wall to bust through.

But no one is stopping you from using the slow rear end matter manipulator to Dig and Chop if you so desire.

jesus christ you guys are so goddamn loving quick to defend the goddamn ~story~, that god forbid your loving item that relocates matter with energy beams might be a bit more practical then smacking a tree with a blunt stone ax, and that players not have to wait for multiple teirs for it.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Slime posted:

Know what I think would make the game feel more sci-fi early on? Instead of better picks, you upgrade your matter manipulator. Maybe the one you start off with is damaged and you're just fixing it up as you go along. Wedge a chunk of stone in there to keep these two components from touching, get some copper to fix up some wiring, replace the casing with some iron, make more corrosion resistant wiring using silver and gold. Then later once you get more high tech you ditch that silly manipulator for something better. The tech and the basics just feel kinda poorly meshed together, too. Why does making armor on my anvil use up pixels? I'd give it a pass if I was later in the game and was using high-tech armor, but I'm smashing metal into shape. That shouldn't cost funky future space materialmoney.
This is pretty much what i was thinking, something along the lines of your matter manipulator stored on the ship having a few blueprints along with it to upgrade with local materials in case of an emergency. You could even have it use fuel for mining powered by ores, to imitate the repairing a pickaxe function. using pickaxes instead doesn't make it any more authentic with the scifi tech still in your hotbar unless you have a really selective type of immersion.

Enzer posted:

Why are you not also making the complaint that you are using "caveman tech" bows for hunting and not a techbow that shoots lasers, or complaining that you can find swords and hammers that shoot magic or giant skulls or bones that explode into more bones, that is anything but sci-fi.
Because I want to use a single tool for convience, Because people can have reasons for things beyond story and immersion.

Also yes, having to use a bow or specific knife for hunting is stupid. why cant I use any weapon I wish? Why cant I use my awesome weapon i bought from a shop to cut up some alien steaks?

Tengames fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 6, 2013

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

DareToSlack posted:

It's a videogame, dude. You're using axes and pickaxes because they're both intuitive and established as part of the genre. Sure, they could have made it so that you just upgrade the matter manipulator, but using ores to do so doesn't make a lot of sense and isn't intuitive as a result. Any further argument from either side is just sperging. :colbert:
I just want to use one tool that already does the job instead of making more items to clutter my hotbar.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Party Plane Jones posted:

I went through one of those complexes, it was sort of annoying because there was absolutely no loot in it from what I recall.

This game needs a lot more treasure chests to spawn, mining is almost completly useless because there is absolutely nothing good underground

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Roach Warehouse posted:

Oh, I'm not complaining. I'm just eager for the new patch to come out so I can restart.
Speaking of which do the different races have any mechanical differences or is it all cosmetic?

races have thier own armor crafting recipes unlocked from the start, but you can get the others via blueprints

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Angry Diplomat posted:

Are you being deliberately obtuse or are you genuinely arguing that it is impossible for games to implement cost or penalty mechanics because they are games?

Technically its kinda true, if the game makes you lose pixels on death , all its done is make you lose more time to have to grind it back. honestly I think its better to reward a player for staying alive longer then punishing for dying, because punishing just dicks over players who aren't very good at the game to begin with and could use those pixels to buy more items/gear to survive longer.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

President Ark posted:

Throw bombs at him.
I tried this and most of the time it would just get to close and id end up blowing myself up along with it.

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

The pervasive "Here's a beta! It's a week before launch and not a beta at all!" Thing has changed what most consumers think a beta is. Blame EA and the like.
Frankly they should call Phase 1 an alpha since they're still tweaking core gameplay mechanics, might get the idea across more that its still a work in progress.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

Your very first genes world should always be flagged as some kind of safe haven with maybe only one enemy type.

Because Jesus gently caress sometimes you end up getting dumped into a screen of electric nail gun shooting shits with flying bloodpuke birds and acid pools and spike plants.

Give every starting player the same pre-made tutorial starting planet, with easy to find wood, supplies, and a dungeon to explore so they understand stuff. last quest of the tutorial should give the player a maxed fuel ship and tell them to go find a new planet.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

JerikTelorian posted:

This is something that also bothers me about the 3D printer: I'm paying shitloads of pixels for purely cosmetic items. Even the idea that scanning items both destroys the item and costs pixels is crazy. A 2000px item ends up costing 4500px after all is said and done.

3d printer is garbage. It doesnt replicate anything useful like resources, YOu need to already have the thing you want to make just to scan it, and very rarely will you find youself needing mulitple of a single decouration that you didnt already steal several copies of.

Honestly it should be combined with the refinery in that anything you scan gives you pixels, and can scan anything. Actually thinking about it i could mod this if someone hasn't already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

No, not really. Terraria's requirements are barebones since you can just do a brutal apartment building, but still significantly bigger than Starbound's, which has nothing.
More importantly, I'm talking about the fundamental nature of the games, where Terraria (especially due to central storage and magic mirrors) has a solid "home base" that you can build up. In Starbound, that's just the spaceship. The fundamentally nomadic nature of Starbound makes building even more pointless than it is in either of the other games because if you build on a planet you're just bound to leave it eventually.

this is why the mod that lets you build your ship is the best mod for this game. Making a giant space station full of different exhibits of stuff I looted from various planets is the one thing this game did much better then terraia and minecraft ever will. they should seriously ust scrap the dumb ship upgrading and make the ship building mod standard(or just make an unlockable "custom" option.)

Also while combat is still techically a discussion, are the attack animations really still so stiff? It doesn't look like the character's body moves at all when they're swinging a weapon, which just looks terrible. Even if its just them leaning thier torso forward a pixel while swinging or having their arm recoil from shots, they should be moving somewhat.

• Locked thread