Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Anyone know what a Matter Block is and how to get it? I have the rest of the materials to craft a rad helmet and that's all I'm missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Didn't get a response to this from page 1:

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Anyone know what a Matter Block is and how to get it? I have the rest of the materials to craft a rad helmet and that's all I'm missing.

Anyone? The wiki I found has nothing on it. Is it a boss item or higher tier item?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I was on a server with around a dozen active players and there wasn't much lag at all but YMMV. I hope they keep up on server optimizations so we can have semi-massive servers. The game's format screams for it. But in order to accommodate higher player counts I'd like to see better player tracking, party functionality, and better chat functionality. Somewhat related but also useful for single player would be an upgradeable navigation view that can tell you what kinds of structures are on a planet, who is inhabiting it, what kind of materials are abundant, etc.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Dec 6, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I've gotten both carrots and nanomelons to grow on my spaceship.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Enzer posted:

You can grow crops inside your ship? :aaaaa:

Now I really want the bigger ships, going to have a hydroponics section. :dance:

Welcome to my mess:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

ShadowMar posted:

Anyone find some merchants selling guns with 15+ Armor penetration in the Beta Sector yet?

x: 97689579 Y: 69453123 - Planet II in that sector (i forget the name). Go left for about five minutes from spawn. I forget if it's 13 or 15 AP though, but the sniper rifle I got from there is doing me decently in tier 2.

Mr. Pumroy posted:

I don't really feel like harvesting plant fiber so I just carry a bed around in my backpack and whenever I need to I find a place that seems calm and whip the bed out and catch a few z's.

Please put regen in this game.

Harvesting plant fibers would take way less time than using a bed. Just go to a jungle planet and slash at the ground foliage while you explore. Also, some planets have large plants you chop down with an axe that collapse into fiber instead of logs.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

A.C. posted:

I blame all of the streamers for the confusion; every single streamer I watched stayed on one planet and played the game like it was Terraria. I remember watching the absolutely atrocious Totalbiscuit/Jesse Cox stream which was 14 minutes long, and thinking at the end of the 14 minutes, "It took them 14 minutes to accomplish what I expect to have done in about 90 seconds" and I was right. I watched one where they actually killed the first boss after about six hours, which was the most "successful" early stream I saw, and I still managed to do what they had done in about an hour and a half. Famous minecraft/terraria streamers are notoriously bad at videogames and they should have given some of the early copies to people like Kripp who are actually good at videogames and give viewers a good idea of how to advance in videogames.

Six hours to beat the first boss if you aren't cheesing it is actually pretty good. That fucker is hard and if you don't know what you're doing going in, chances are you'll lose once or twice requiring you to rebuild the beacon multiple times, which is time consuming.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

A.C. posted:

e: vvv the boss stays around if you fail to kill it; I died a few times on my attempt before deciding to cheese it and he stayed on the planet each time. There may be some kind of timer before he disappears but if you put the beacon down at a planet's spawn point you can jump right back down he's still there and you can keep damaging him, he's easy enough to graveyard rush and you could do it with the starting weapon and no armor with enough patience

This was not the case for me. I died almost immediately in my first attempt and beamed down right away and he was gone. Then in my second attempt I cased myself in with some blocks and shot him with my bow and arrow, and got dispirited when I saw it would take me like 10 minutes of shooting him with that. Then a couple minutes in he just up and left, I couldn't kill him fast enough. My third attempt had me with much better armor and a better weapon but I still died eventually because I couldn't manage all the penguins. Upon immediately beaming back down, he was gone. My fourth attempt was the cheese attempt. Building a beacon 4 times takes a long time. Especially when during the first three attempts, you don't know you can fuel a spaceship with logs and coal.

I believe he only doesn't leave if you're in multiplayer and have another player around. And even then he's on a timer.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Fair to Midland posted:

Do we have developers here? I'm already in love with this game so that's cool to know. It'd be like when I found out one of the creators of The Walking Dead Telltale game is a member here. Too bad he left for better pastures. :(

The lead designer, Tiy, registered here this year and posts from time to time, he posted today in the old thread. There are a handful of other chucklefish members who are goons. Molly, the community manager, is one. Rho, one of the artists, is a long time goon.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

legoman727 posted:

God, gently caress Avian temples. The random guards with laser shotguns capable of one shotting you on level 1 planets are just horrible.

You really need at least full copper armor before attempting to take on even threat level 1 dungeons.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Oneiros posted:

Sometimes even that isn't enough. I tried to take on a USMC Prison on my starting planet and even with full copper armor and a nice, big axe I was still getting one-shot by melee NPCs and getting nailed for 30-40 damage a bullet by rapid fire rifles.

That's just how the game goes right now. The way armor penetration, armor, and damage works gives a very small window where things actually deal reasonable damage. It seems like 90% of the time you're either being one or two shot, or taking very little damage. You just have to learn how to be very cautious and how to avoid melee attacks completely. Getting a shield helps immensely.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

"Complete tiers of content are coming really soon. I’d like to get 1/2 tiers of content done per week. "

Dang, that's a much faster pace of content implementation than I expected. It must all be really close to completion. Which makes me wonder about their beta timing, but I guess they wanted it out before 2013 ended no matter what.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Turtle Dad 420 posted:

Dunno how my Avian learned how to play the harmonica considering the beak and all, but here's his ship littered with the trophies of his conquests.

I love this.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Slime posted:

Attention everyone: Rainbow Wood can be found on desert planets. I have 2000 pieces of it, which will give me 6000 planks. I think...I might build something with it. But first I'm going to have to jet off into space and fight some worthy decorations for my fabulous castle.

Rainbow wood is pretty awesome. My friend didn't know how to place background walls and had a hut without any, so I used my rainbow wood collection to solve that problem for him.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Fintilgin posted:

WHERE THE gently caress IS THE PAUSE KEY? :mad:

Singleplayer mode needs a pause key. Period.

At the very least, quitting and reloading shouldn't bring you back to your spaceship.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Dezztroy posted:

Found a frog-man merchant in some underground brick house. He was selling bombs for 10 pixels each. I'm now sitting on 150 bombs. :toot:

I found one of those too. The whole environment he was in was strangely beautiful. He was the lone resident in some large subterranean ruins nestled on the bottom of an absolutely enormous cavern.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Kiggles posted:

Cuts both ways. A game so easily modded will be really neat from the adventure perspective. Ideally we'll be able to see a whole crap ton of unique dungeons, and level scaling, nevermind complete overhauls of the progression, making replays really dynamic.

On the other hand, it is going to make multiplayer a strange experience for the end user.

Level scaling would require modifying game logic which isn't possible at this point and may never be possible, unfortunately.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Spudd posted:

The beta JUST came out for it, they are going to try and fix everything and add lots of stuff. The game is not finished in the slightest.

The executables being 600mb doesn't strike me as a beta issue, I mean it's not exactly a bug, and it is a pretty big concern for people with bandwidth caps if there are going to be daily updates.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

gobbledygoat posted:

This is less of a beta issue and more of a they hosed up issue. This game is rife with questionable and downright dumb design decisions.

This isn't very fair. They haven't even attempted to balance any game mechanics yet, which is a beta issue. They just haven't gotten around to that yet. I don't know if the way armor and armor penetration works is great yet, but I'm going to hold back on criticizing the entire mechanic until they attempt to balance it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Vib Rib posted:

I really wish you could teleport to your home planet.
I'd love to find a nice cozy planet and build a huge fancy decked out base with massive storage, then check back in there whenever I need to. But a round trip costs me 600 fuel, I have to sit through 2 warp sequences, and going back to the planet I was just on would require writing down the coords. A sudden teleport, even if it's with an item you have to unlock, would really be a godsend. Especially since the ships aren't really big enough for a real base. And even if they were bigger, their shape isn't modifiable. So even if I had to choose between bigger ships or a "warp to home planet" button I'd definitely choose the latter.

I still hope they reconsider preset ship shapes and change it to let the player design their own ships. After they axed the space station concept, I was bummed to hear that spaceships would have limited customization. I think being able to custom design your own ship from scratch would be an amazing feature and is exactly the kind of thing this game needs, so that feature's omission is a pretty big bummer.

Oh well, maybe we'll get it as post-release content.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

A.C. posted:

9236086, 72611326
Beta Cursa Minoris I a
I found a Gravity Bubble tech (go right until you reach a second Flesh Forest) - does anyone know how to use it?

edit: Holy poo poo it's a jetpack, jump again in the air. It can fly infinitely!

So uhh, are techs really universal for everyone? I found an eye chest in the second eyeball forest and it had 10 torches.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

A.C. posted:

Has anyone found any Oceans yet? Are they their own planet type, or part of other biomes? I haven't seen any in Sector X but I've also only seen one Tentacle planet too

Yes - look for the High-Tech chest in the same area

Is it in that forest or past it? I combed through that place multiple times now.

edit: And now it's dark and I have to hide in a hole again. Kind of wish there was something better than 15 armor for tier 2. Higher levels absolutely destroy you with such weak armor.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

gently caress it, I give up. That high tech chest with the Gravity Bubble is just not in my version of that world for whatever reason. I searched high and dry for it and the only chest in that area for miles is an eye chest.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Orv posted:

It's in the second section of eye forest in a small cavity in the earth, in a black chest with green highlighting. Not sure what's up if you can't find it.

I searched in some of the holes but not all of them because I figured that would have been mentioned. ... gently caress. Oh well, maybe I'll go back there some other day. I'm sick of the high stress worlds where everything can murder the gently caress out of you nearly instantly if you're not careful even when using the best armor available.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

People are being real assholes for no good reason. It's perfectly fine to discuss the issues a beta has and possibly find workarounds or ways to improve the experience. Maybe there's some way to get better framerates? Maybe no one else was having bad framerates and he'd figure out it was something on his end? Don't be a dick to people asking honest questions. Anyways, for me, the game doesn't slow down unless there's a lot of stuff going on. I'm on a Phenom II X4 with 8gb of RAM. Sometimes I got sporadic slowdown but it runs smooth 99% of the time. The 1% is when I triggered a massive sand cascade or something along those lines.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Sedisp posted:

So, a lot of goons were saying exploring underground is boring. I'd like to take a moment to emphatically disagree.

:stare:

Deeper exploration yielded bones. The planet is alive and very evil judging by the corrupted dirt that appears in it's flesh walls.

There are honestly a lot of interesting features to be seen underground if you go deep enough. I like the humongous caverns that you frequently find.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Paradoxish posted:

The big problem with underground exploration is just that digging is really slow. I've found tons and tons of cool stuff underground, but getting to it is really tedious. And this is coming from someone who would build giant tunnel systems in Minecraft for fun.

Edit- I think I'd feel better about digging with a way to bookmark planets, actually. Knowing that I have to complete a dig before I leave to do something else kind of saps the fun out of it.

Bookmarks would be great. Maybe just a list of favorites that you can always select from, instead of just a single home planet.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

DarkAvenger211 posted:

If someone can find Guile's Theme in .abc format I will love you forever.

Also does food do anything aside from fill the hunger bar? There seems to be a huge set up for tons of different food, but it seems like a waste of effort to try and make.

http://www.thefatlute.eu/rapid/view_song/g/7699

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

FirstPlayer posted:

As someone with a silver pickaxe and bits of armor, what's supposed to be my next goal? I made a beacon and got annihilated, then explored a few other planets and didn't find anything 'new.' Does the ship drop the 'molten core' I need for the next level of crafting and if so how am I supposed to beat it?

Edit: also my friends and I are having difficulty getting multiplayer to work. We have 21025 forwarded but can't connect to servers each other have put up.

Right now, the snow armor is crazy OP, it's made on the spinning wheel with leather. Once that gets nerfed, though, you'll probably want silver armor for the UFO fight. The racial iron stuff is warmer and looks cooler but isn't as protective. Raid some dungeons to try to find some decent weapons. Or maybe explore some planets until you find sky pirates and buy some guns from them.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

nightchild12 posted:

The last "tier" right now is just what they have of all the >3 tiers smashed together into one tier.

There are some things independent of tiers, such as the Gravity Bubble. Furthermore, there has been very little effort to balance anything. So finding a Gravity Bubble in a tier 2 planet with tier 2 gear will allow you to fly forever. The Steel stuff has enough energy regen to allow that. That's the kind of thing that will be balanced in future beta patches.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

smashthedean posted:

Is this new to the day 2 patch? I seriously got zero out of probably 50+ drops as 1-handers when playing on release day. I only played a little this morning though and spent most of my time mining/spelunking so maybe things have changed?

No, it is not. You were just unlucky.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Vib Rib posted:

Heads up, huge patch scheduled for a few days from now, will wipe characters.
http://playstarbound.com/coming-in-a-few-days-sorry-for-the-delay/

Mostly a balance patch.
Here are the highlights:

Looks like some huge overhauling for the better, I'd say.

The problem I have with the current system isn't figuring out how much damage I'll do, but my problem is the way you're always getting one-hit-killed in higher TL planets of your current tier even when you have the best armor, and also that armor and weapons are only useful against monsters in a ~3 level range. Both of these issues were really problematic. I'm worried that this change might be a bit too heavy handed. I hope they mark planets as easy/medium/hard like they do monsters instead of every planet being a grab-bag of different difficulty monsters. Or maybe it would be better that way with every planet having varied threats.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Genocyber posted:

If I understand the update correctly, it sounds like it's balancing it as well. It even says that armor was the primary cause of a lot of balance issues. At the least, if they simplify it to just raw damage, it should be considerably easier for them to balance.

It's a change I'm glad for.

Yeah, I realize this. I guess what I'm saying is that I liked the idea of having a progression within a tier. That there are dangerous worlds you have to stay away from until you get better gear. That's a good concept and I hope with the new system they're still able to keep that. It's just really extreme in the current version. I just got one hit killed on a threat level 18 planet while holding up a shield, with 15 armor. That's crazy. (I suspect the shield was bugged and not blocking, though, but still, that's really huge damage for such a small level gap)

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Dec 7, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Genocyber posted:

I think shields increase the damage you take in some cases. i.e. when I got hit by an enemy directly I took ~40, when I tried to block the hit the same attack from the same enemy oneshot me. :v:

How exactly are you reading the update? How I read it doesn't make it sound like they're removing the progression, just changing the way it works.

It was the part with planets having only 10 threat levels. I assume that means all planets in alpha sector will be threat level 1. I just hope that doesn't mean every planet in the alpha sector will be the same difficulty.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Dec 7, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

While we're talking about the armor system, I also don't like how the your overall armor value is an average of all of your pieces. It's always a bit discouraging when you wear a new armor upgrade with a lot more armor, and your total armor goes up by 1.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Brackhar posted:

I must be an idiot and can not figure out how to place a door. Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?

You need blocks both above and below the space for the door, with that space being 5 blocks tall.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The Colonel posted:

On one hand I'm sad that I have to say goodbye to Jazzy Allied Mastercomputer the robot space pirate, but on the other hand, I get to properly try a new race, and hopefully not have to deal with horribly unfair difficulty anymore.

I don't know, being one-shot should only happen if you're somehow out of your tier, imo (which is only possible in MP). Or if you're fighting a hard elite monster or something with poo poo gear. With the worst gear of a tier, the toughest monsters should two or three shot you, just because instantly dying is a real big bummer. Even when you're out of your league, it should be possible to be able to fall back and readjust after taking a hit.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Fishstick posted:

There's 2 variations of the Y-coords on the gdoc, and neither of them have an Alpha Umbraxion (except a 304 one) even closeby. Oh well.

Make sure you have the correct sector selected.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

dis astranagant posted:

Where can I find a brain for my robot?

By zapping monsters with the brain extractor, an item you craft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Reiley posted:

I went to a moon planet and found a Medic Spawner in a chest so I put it on my ship and it spawned my own personal med supply seller:

I showed a friend of mine and that friend very promptly splattered the medic with a hammer. :(

That's alright, because those prices are just appalling. 100 pixels for a bandage, are you kidding me? Maybe 10 wouldn't be a ripoff. Maybe.

• Locked thread