Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nightchild12
Jan 8, 2005
hi i'm sexy

Varinn posted:

The ~story justification~ doesn't matter, because you can change it to justify ANYTHING, it's about the gameplay. You mention that the sci-fi stuff 'comes later on', but why shouldn't the sci-fi stuff be in the sci-fi game from the get-go?

Again, before someone thinks I'm arguing against progression, I'm not. I want Sci-Fi Progression instead of a weird Pseudo-Terriarcraft Progression before the real one starts.

I don't think your argument is about gameplay, though; it's about aesthetics. Unless I'm misunderstanding, you want to start off with everything looking sci-fi rather than having to use hand tools, but you still enjoy the resource gatherting / crafting / tool improvement progression, right?

I understand where you're coming from, but disagree with you. I enjoy playing through the "caveman tier" and think it is fitting thematically and aesthetically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nightchild12
Jan 8, 2005
hi i'm sexy

Varinn posted:

Yeah, if the caveman tier is REALLY important to the devs for whatever reason, then it needs to be made more reasonable to someone starting the game up blind. That's a good idea, or even just making your ship hella busted or SOMETHING.

I like the idea of having the ship look busted up for the first tier or something. I don't think it should be unable to take you to other planets because that's a huge important part of the game, but having it look a little more worn out at the beginning might make the first part of the game feel more survivor-y.

FPzero posted:

I just hope that theres eventually a better indication that we should build tools. I mean, it's completely my fault for not seeing the Stone Pickaxe in the crafting list, but I seriously thought that my first pick was going to be the copper one and spent over an hour digging with the Matter Manipulator before realizing the stone one existed. Again, completely my fault but the tutorial never mentions anything and just sort of dumps you off with the beacon boss quest.

This over and over. The tutorial missions could be much more thorough. Maybe make them optional or something, but I think it'd be better to hold the player's hand more in the beginning. I read through the codex and that helped a bit, but I think I would have been pretty confused or missed some stuff if I hadn't been following the game for a while before the beta.

nightchild12
Jan 8, 2005
hi i'm sexy

Torokasi posted:

Sorta stupid interface question. I see a ton of other photos with people talking to themselves or people commenting that NPCs are talking, but I can't figure out how to do that with my character or talk to the one friendly NPC I've found. What button am I magically failing to press to make this work? :v:

Mouse over them and press E. Some of them don't talk, some sell you stuff, some will talk without prompting.

Tengames posted:

jesus christ you guys are so goddamn loving quick to defend the goddamn ~story~, that god forbid your loving item that relocates matter with energy beams might be a bit more practical then smacking a tree with a blunt stone ax, and that players not have to wait for multiple teirs for it.

Well, in real life I have a nice modern multitool with a small saw blade that I could conceivably cut a tree down with, but if I used it to cut a branch and some strips of bark and used the bark to tie a sharp rock to the stick to make a crude axe, it would probably be more practical to use that. Same concept with the starting multitool in Starbound.

nightchild12 fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 6, 2013

nightchild12
Jan 8, 2005
hi i'm sexy

mune posted:

I would like another few pages of this argument if possible.

We will do our best to accommodate your wishes.

nightchild12
Jan 8, 2005
hi i'm sexy

Zereth posted:

Why are these not growing? am I doing something wrong?

If those are chili peppers, I think they just take forever to grow, or are bugged. I have the same thing happen with chili peppers that I have planted. I think I might have had one of my chilis grow a single step in a few hours of playing, but can't confirm right now.

nightchild12
Jan 8, 2005
hi i'm sexy

Deathwing posted:

Along these same lines, is there an easy way to find a planet nearby? So far all I can seem to do is Find Random or enter specific coords, but maybe i'm just not seeing something on the map controls.

You can right click to zoom out on the star map to see other stars, then click on them to check out the systems and planets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nightchild12
Jan 8, 2005
hi i'm sexy

Leadthumb posted:

No I think they said it would only be the first 3.
I think it's weird though that people are talking about having infinite energy and flying and stuff, when we only have the first 1/3 of the item progression.
There must be some end game stuff sprinkled in.

The last "tier" right now is just what they have of all the >3 tiers smashed together into one tier.

• Locked thread