Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Varinn posted:

Again, before someone thinks I'm arguing against progression, I'm not. I want Sci-Fi Progression instead of a weird Pseudo-Terriarcraft Progression before the real one starts.

Hey, at least you aren't getting started by punching trees into submission. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

All of this has happened before, all of this will happen again. Never change, beta testers. :allears:

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Butts. Twice now I've used the beacon and no UFO. Think I'll just wait for the patch.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Random monster generation is the greatest god drat thing and the thought of losing some of the best of them to patch wipes is deeply saddening. I've seen some creepy and exotic and weird things roaming around, from giant otter things that make fart noises to vicious Barney looking dinosaurs to smiley wall-eyed turtle things, but my buddy went back to his house to heal up in bed when he first encountered these magnificent bastards coming out of nowhere to mince on and stare at him through his roof:

We call them diddlers. :allears:

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Oh hey, if any of you wind up with a clunker of a starting world, this place is pretty neat:

Good amount of ore (including passable deposits of silver), lots of fairly deep cave systems, and a big ol' Glitch village not far to the left that has some weapons and musical instruments including (for me at least) a harp and harmonica.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

I wonder if this is going to change world gen at all. That system I posted earlier was a really great starting system. After I posted it I found out that another planet in the system has space pirates. Really had everything you needed.

On a side note, I wound up cheesing the UFO pretty easily. I dug a shaft straight down and just a bit too narrow for the UFO to fit through. It'll only drop down so far when it does its drop attack, so I waited at the bottom, shooting upward the entire time. I placed some blocks over me so penguins couldn't teleport right on top of me and shot straight up through it like in Space Invaders. It finally died about half a screen above me and I only had a couple dozen penguins to clean up once I got myself out of the really deep, wide pit I was left with.

Now that I know there's nothing to lose with that patch coming, I think I'm going to try summoning bosses onto the avian pirate ships. The extra firepower would be nice.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

So hey, uh, I posted a few minutes ago that I thought I'd give the boss a shot atop a pirate ship.

I uh, think we've been doing it wrong until now, guys. :stare:

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Working with a sample size of Terraria, Minecraft, and Starbound, this isn't a family of games known for good combat. Really the best time I've had with combat out of the three is Starbound so far. I haven't been bothering with armor at all and just try to keep the best shield I can. Doing it that way makes the combat somewhat reminiscent of Dark Souls in that if you aren't a little patient and rely on your shield to keep you alive you're going to get your poo poo wrecked by just about everything you see.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Maybe there'd be more of an incentive to build and colonize if you could have your colonists gather resources for you. Get your little town set up, bring in some folks to build and expand the village, then have them farm and mine and hunt and gather/refine fuel and crap like that. Wouldn't keep people from drifting and never building if they didn't want to, but would create some small incentive if you were so inclined.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Agnostalgia posted:

Well you could spend eight hours in a Hohmann transfer orbit or three minutes making the stars go stripy what're you gonna do.

I play this when I'm at work. I've got time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Kyrosiris posted:

drat straight. Sand/Gravel surfing is the best way to farm ore.

This is all I ever did. Did stone ever get easier to mine though? I haven't been able to play for weeks, but I only ever surface mined (and then mostly on desert planets) when I could help it because goddamn does stone slow a guy down.

• Locked thread