Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

A.C. posted:

in other news, this planet has a mountain of bone:

X 9236144 Y 72611316
Beta Al Dhibain 87 II

Left of spawn

Thank you much for that, I need a ton of bones and flesh for my skull throne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Dingo Unchained posted:

Head to a moderately high desert / arid planet (7-10) and just dig down. It's pretty rare you find silver on the surface. It usually comes deeper underground or in chests. I usually just go on a suicide mining mission and mine all the way to the centre of the planet and take all the ores, and then jump in the lava to respawn in the ship. It's easy enough to get pixels later in the game, anyway.

Alternatively, you can just quit to menu rather than killing yourself. Might help save ya few thousand pixels.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Nastyman posted:

Jesus, the Bubble Boost tech is my favorite by far.

Butterfly Boost is better. :colbert:

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 7, 2013

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

BrainMeats posted:

I wouldn't mind if the hundreds of different dirt, sand, moondust, cobblestone, poo poo and obsidian blocks all got abstracted down into maybe a few levels of "construction materials" or something. Maybe digging up dirt and sand just increases your count of light matter. Then when you want to build a sick fortress the matter manipulator has a dropdown list with different materials you've learned. They clearly saw it as a problem already what with an entire second inventory for building supplies. After a dozen planets you've just got half stacks of cobblestone that all look nearly the same but don't fit together.

Goddamn, that is a beautiful idea. It'd be awesome if they did something elegant like that.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Delaio posted:

I swear I get the explosion/burning shrine over half the time.

Protip! Activate them from as far away as possible, and you'll avoid the insta-kill explosion 100% of the time. If you're quick you can even avoid the burn. Once it activates you can see if buff-smoke came out, and step into it if it did. I thought those devices were just absurdly too risky until I heard about that.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Mice Everywhere posted:

There should totally be a confirmation box before you set a planet as your home. I just accidentally set a new planet, losing my old one that had all my gear. At least it was all going to be wiped anyway

One of the devs Molly, posted some instructions on Twitter the other day about how to fix this. Basically you can just look up your planet visit history for your character and find your old home planet that way. Far from ideal, but if you have any idea what your home planet was you should recognize it when you look up the coords ingame.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It seems like most or all crops give slightly more than one seed per harvest on average, with harvesting occasionally giving two or zero seeds. The problem is the chances for getting zero seeds on harvest seems to be somewhat high.

You're probably right; the flipside, though, is that if you start with even 10 seeds or so, that should be enough for probability to kick in and give you a good yield. My best results have been with plantings like that - tomatoes specifically work pretty well because they grow quite fast. I just harvested and 36 plants and got 41 seeds. Maybe a 5-20% chance at a bonus seed? It's enough for small but steady growth. I actually like it a lot better than just giving you double seeds every time.

When working with small numbers of starter seeds, it's really hard to grow your farm and there's a decent chance that your crop numbers will remain even or get reduced. I don't think it's very fun that this can happen and they should probably change it so you're always guaranteed at least one seed.

I've never run out of seeds for a new crop but if that's possible it should definitely be looked at. It would be cool if there was a way to get a couple starter seeds for any seed that you've found, maybe with a long cooldown or high price or something, in case you run out.

That said, I kinda like it how it is, too. If you find a planet with a wild crop, you can easily harvest a dozen or more seeds and add a healthy amount to your farm, but occasionally you may just find a few seeds from some exotic species, and you gotta carefully take care of them to them really established. But I know I'm in the minority and wouldn't want to force that on most people who probably just see that as tedious. :haw:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

victrix posted:

It would be nice if they'd do something about monsters being utterly unable to fight the 'build a wall of dirt' tactic. Creatures that can break walls or shoot through them would fix it, among other things.

That's not a bad idea, but I don't think it's always a problem when games let you degrade your own experience. Skyrim (and many other games) have the same issue. Sure, you can power-cheese the systems to completely break the game. If you enjoy that, then go for it, but if you don't enjoy it and do it anyway, that's not to be blamed only on the devs.

Of course, there's a middle-ground; the devs should probably remove that 3D Printer dupe bug, for instance. But, generally, I think more responsibility has to be put on the player to choose to play games in a way that's fun for them. This kind of issue is only going to become more prominent in games as they open up more and more.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Motherfucker posted:

this'd also help with the god drat unreadable attacks.

I'm hopeful this is coming - I came across an enemy with those lightning tails, and they'd flash right before he did the body slam. That doesn't help let you know when he's safe to touch again, but it was really cool to see stuff like this is already in the game.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Motherfucker posted:

If we're having crappy boss-fight ideas mine is the player versing an avian high priest in gold power armor with wing-themed jetpack and combination of a grenade launcher and a sword that he uses in swooping attacks.

Avians have some insane consumable flying meteor item, he can use those.

"Phoenix Emblem", tears poo poo up, huge explosion and leaves like 10 block wide burning wreck.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

babies havin rabies posted:

4. There is no point or benefit to building or settling a planet. Don't lie to me, you may have a few bonsai gardens here and there, but really you live out of your ship, which is the same shape/size as everybody else's, and all of your important stuff is in there because it can be. Add some kind of settlement mechanic, let me start an Apex settlement Dwarf Fortress style or something which I then have to defend from Florans or whoever.

This is certainly a huge issue with the current build, but I don't think there's any reason to worry. Right now, it's kinda pointless to build anywhere because unless you write down crazy coordinates, you can only save one planet. So you'll just lose everything. But the game records every planet you go to, so even if all they did was surface that info to you, giving you a Planet History, that would go a very long way to making building meaningful. And they plan on that, and there's no reason to think they won't implement it.

If plants could grow while you were offworld, or you could automate other tasks, it'd be even more worthwhile.

Having all of your resource/crafting buildings be unlimited fuel, featherweight furniture pieces is boring too and has been all done before (Minecraft, Terraria).

Not sure what this sentence means, little more explanation?

A lot of those are not beta problems though, and that's my biggest concern. All of the core gameplay mechanics are already in the game.

Are you sure about this? I thought they'd specifically said the core gameplay mechanics are not all in there and won't be until the next phase of beta. That's what they've said, anyway; as with all betas, you never know what the end product'll be. I have hope that a number of your (very valid) concerns will be addressed, but I certainly can't assume they will be.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah I think a lot of my points are "beta problems", but I should elaborate on this one because it's the one that I feel is most unlikely to be fixed as development continues.

In Minecraft and Terraria, all of your crafting and actions is accomplished using this easily-movable, overly compact "furniture" which may as well just not be there. Everything could (may as well be) thrown into the crafting menu and the stone furnace could be decorative. This kind of goes hand-in-hand with settlements, but I guess I feel these "facilities" need to have some weight and importance to them. There's simply no point when you can pick up your infinite fuel furnace, crafting table, and other "facilities", and plop it down in whatever cave you're in whenever you need it. Once NPC settlements are easier to find (or create), make these buildings that you can use or which are part of the larger economy/quest structure. I think it would go along way towards making crafting feel more significant than just getting the resources you need and clicking on a menu. Skyrim's system for this isn't perfect, but is a good direction to head in.

Or, as I said, just make it super convenient and get rid of this stuff and throw all the crafting into the crafting menu.

So you'd have entire rooms/buildings needed to create things, instead of single placeable items? Sort of like Terraria's "room" concept, except instead of spawning NPCs, the room itself would have an in-game function. That's actually a pretty cool idea. I'd be all for it. If the wiring system is elaborate enough, players will be able to design and create things like that on their own - that sort of thing already exists in Minecraft, if you weren't aware. People build factory complexes and automated farms.

But I suspect you're also looking for "facilities" that would enable you to create new things that you couldn't before, not just do old stuff better. Yes, that would be very cool as well.

I'll be happy even if there isn't any big gameplay advantage to building, though, as I imagine many others will.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Rita Repulsa posted:

note: these are only early game tips
I cannot survive level 10+ planets and find the crazy loot some posters have gotten ahold of.
Q: can you do anything with the crystals you find deep underground or mushrooms on some planets or are they just decoration. Also, does the ufo encounter's difficulty scale with the planet it's on like the dungeons?

I'm probably going to wait a while before playing again, just curious.

You can use those blocks for special furniture, like chests and tables. You have to be lucky and find the blueprint though (unless there's a vendor that sells that kinda stuff?). It's a system that'd be rough single-player, but much better in multiplayer where everyone can work together. That seems to be the ideal way to play the game for a number of the mechanics.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Pakled posted:

Is there anyone who doesn't use either a shield or a fuckoff magic two-hander? I've found using anything other than shield + one-handed gun/sword or purple two-handers that drop from mini-bosses to be impossible not to die a million times with. For me at least, these seem to the most viable weapon choices and I'm curious if anyone's had success with other combat styles.

I recently came across a couple really nice 1-handers, and it can be a nice setup. It's tricky because you have to get so close to hit, but you really savage an enemy with double-blows. You also get twice as many weapon effects, which gives you a lot of utility. You can use a poison and a projectile. Right now the risk is too high since you're getting one/two-shot, but with better balancing it should be pretty viable to get in close and tear poo poo up.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Elendil004 posted:

Banking coming in next update. You basically craft big blocks of pixels at a slight loss (but less than dying twice). Kinda neat.

http://www.reddit.com/r/starbound/comments/1sdh0j/hey_guys_i_made_a_mod_to_store_pixels_with_style/

Man Tiy is being crazy awesome with the mod community. There's a guy making a Toxic biome, and Tiy said he'll work on adding acid rain as a weather type to help him out with that. (which is also cool 'cause it's just the kind of thing people are asking for with planet diversity)

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

randombattle posted:

Yup depending on the bullet type the different guns will do different things.

The best are sniper rifles with ricochet bullets. Skilshots! :freep:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

I'm not sure why people are having problems with fuel. I spent like 10 minutes strip-logging a forest or jungle planet one time in tier1 and ended up with 4000-5000+ wood. That, and just grab coal when you see it. It's absurdly common even at low levels, and very speedy to mine. Once you get a halfway-decent pick it takes almost no time at all. If you do both of those things, and then also mining out sand & gravel avalanches, you should never want for fuel.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Tengames posted:

races have thier own armor crafting recipes unlocked from the start, but you can get the others via blueprints

They also have some different food tolerances, though I'm not sure if that's implemented yet. I.E., only humans can properly handle chiles, only florans can eat oculemons, coralcreep for hylotl, etc.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Party Alarm posted:

Logic gates: People have modded these in, but there are logic gates for complex mechanisms in the game. Also there are plans to make traps affect monsters again, so you can build elaborate defenses for a base or even resource producing machines / aids of sorts.

From what I saw their system looks pretty robust; they've got far more than the typical inverter/and/or gates, they've got fancy poo poo in there like D latches and stuff (which honestly is a bit above my head but I guess has something to do with clocks?). Anyway, looks so much easier than manually constructing basic circuits with redstone.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

You can just change the seed in the files on the server and you're done, the universe it generates will be totally different.

Oh, there's a universe seed, as well? Well that goes a long way towards solving that.

Another suggestion I saw that could help is drastically scaling the fuel requirements, making it much cheaper to visit nearby planets, and much more expensive to visit far away ones. Right now you can kinda just instantly flit around anywhere in the universe, which is one more thing that goes towards making planets feel so samey.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

How many more gender options should they add?

Maybe make a slider?

You're still two restricted by the "two choices" model. I'm thinking color wheel.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

pwnyXpress posted:

Surely you're kidding? I found a harmonica, violin, keytar, clarinet, saxaphone, electric lead guitar, and I know there are plenty of others like the microphone, classical guitar, trumpet, pan flute, and probably more. What do you need to be satisfied, a full symphony? Somebody mod this goon a set of wind chimes and some timpani.

Remember that there are also playable cosmetic instruments - Florans have wind chimes and Avians have several sizes of drums.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

What other kinds of percussion is there? That seems to be the most lacking instrument category.

Avians have two differently toned bling-rear end gold gongs!

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Kyrosiris posted:

Also apparently there's going to be an official Chucklefish-sanctioned/hosted mod website going live tonight with the patch, per Tiy. (source)

This is the best news all week. Nexus is such garbage, for a number of reasons. It's obscene how many good mods there are already; the extent that Chucklefish has developed this game to be easy to mod, as well as how well they're working with the community, is gonna do wonders for the game's vitality.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Roland Jones posted:

Well, sometimes; I found some trees made out of metal on one planet and they still gave wood when chopped down.

This has been my experience too, but I just saw on a stream someone cutting down those trees and getting "metal-coated wood". Maybe it was 'cause they were on a high level planet... either way, glad to see. I hope some of the various other flora becomes droppable, like the rafflesia or the prickly pears.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

An Unoriginal Name posted:

The developer that is currently streaming mentioned in his little text FAQ that the update isn't out yet because the other devs are going through the whole game to make sure they didn't break anything or make progression impossible, etc.

Which dev is currently streaming? Link?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Lallander posted:

You can also always check on the starbound wiki.
http://starbounder.org/Main_Page
They have a list on the side that shows when any of them are live.

Sweet, thanks!

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Pylons posted:

There's no @ and Tiy's nick on IRC is @Tiy so I assume it's fake.

Yup, Omni confirmed it on his stream, too.

:argh: I needs me some pokememons!

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Enzer posted:

Here is the official rules regarding it:

For reference, a 3 point infraction results in a 3 day ban, 5 points is a one month ban.

This is such a reasonable approach, I don't understand why the rest of the MC modding community can't accept something like this. Oh wait greed.

Hey, don't leave out greed's best bud, stupidity! (or am I wrong, and modders actually make money from adfly?)

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Lallander posted:

In more interesting news. Omni is apparently working on making weapons (spears at least) able to attack in different directions. So far it looks like it can attack in 45 degree increments based on mouse position.

Edit: I would love if you could angle shields like in King Arthur's Gold.

I hope they keep it as a "45-degree increments" system instead of just Terraria-style freeform. It's much easier to build good game mechanics around something like that. Compare Mount & Blade and their very limited directional attacking system. For example, it looked like there was something about parrying in the code at some point, and that'd work way better with 8-way attacks than freeform ones.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Tyty posted:

The most fun I've had with this game so far is modding it :allears: This is how you make your game easy to mod.

Trying to get the eyes to be able to change color. If I can't, I'll leave them red, but I kinda want to use all the color changers. Gonna make a whole race of bug people with villages and dungeons and everything.

That is glorious. First new race I've seen that matches the game's style & quality.

Also - I know there are enemies with hypnotoad eyes, hopefully you can find and re-appropriate that asset!

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Uh

Doesn't steam often take HOURS before an uploaded patch is ready for customers to download?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Rocketlex posted:

One thing bugs me about the Florans. If they're carnivores, how can they also be cannibals? :v:

They eat plants too, like Oculemons, Toxic Tops, and anything that reminds them of murder, like Diodia (tastes like blood), Tomatoes (red and bursting like human), and Kiwis (fuzzy and squishy like prey).

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Rocketlex posted:

Found on the wiki...

This game. :allears:

How is it that every aspect of this game is the best. Oh, Chucklyfoosh.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Whoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Careful when tilling soil, there's some sort of hoe-crash in the new build.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

I'm not sure I like the lack of variety within a sector. It was an issue people brought up prior to the patch and it may have come to fruition. There are more possible attacks from ground enemies, from what I'm seeing, but they're all about equally difficult within a tier. Getting better equipment just doesn't feel as good. There isn't a constant sense of moving up in the world. When you move up a tier, you get new stuff and it all cancels out in a way that makes it feel exactly the same as the last tier.

I've been thinking about this for a while, and I think something that would help a lot would be armor with special effects. Even if your tier2 armor doesn't protect you from any more damage in Beta sector than your tier1 armor did in Alpha sector, if your armor had cool bonuses to it, it'd feel like a step up.

Maybe when they get around to better balancing damage values (they already admitted the numbers are way off right now and they're going to get to work on tweaking them) things will feel a little better, but I think the system as it is has a pretty fundamental flaw in how little variety there is in difficulty from world to world. Completely homogenizing difficulty levels between planets within a sector was a very bad decision, and I feel like there must be a middle ground between how it was previous and the new change. I hope they're able to find that, because how it is now is an extreme step taken way further than they had to go in the opposite direction of how it was.

Well, they already have easy/normal/difficult monsters, right? They should just split up the planets into easy/medium/hard, then, with monster spawns weighted towards that difficulty tier.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Lunimeow posted:

So I found what seemed to be a giant alien ship that was powered by crystals and it was inhabited by purple slow moving robots that didn't look like glitch, inside i found some kind of large generator object and i used it and it caused me to explode into gooey purple blocks of mush that went flying everywhere and stuck to the walls...

E: I went back to check it out, the generator is now closed and the purple blocks that used to be me are still there...

I wondered what they are for a while, so I started checking their dialog closer, and it turns out their Avian robots or cyborgs or something! They yell at you for being a heretic to Kluex, but they also say poo poo about not being able to control themselves and you should run before you get hurt. Don't know what the gently caress is going on there.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Tiyuri posted:

(Mon, 06:19:51P) @Tiy: all weapons configured!
(Mon, 06:19:51P) @Tiy: woo
(Mon, 06:20:01P) @Tiy: the most powerful weapon you can craft now does 4000 damage
(Mon, 06:20:08P) @Tiy: now to configure all armors
(Mon, 06:20:53P) @Tiy: tier 10 monsters have around 10,000 health

Meanwhile, the tier 10 weapons do 800,000+ dps. I think this may not be "working as intended".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

Apparently just finished the endgame right when the patch came out. Looks like I'll have to say goodbye to my old ship. We had some good times together...

That is beautiful. Please, feel free to post more screenshots of your builds.

• Locked thread