Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

What is Edutainment?

Edutainment games are computer software designed to be (questionably) fun and also provide learning opportunities to the one playing it.

Most of the time you will find Edutainment software in schools or libraries but most is publicly available for purchase. Many people grew up playing some of these titles such as The Oregon Trail or the Jumpstart Series.

May I contribute tho the thread?

Yes you can. I would like for people to PM me or skype me if you would like to contribute just so we don't have something like five people all LPing Jumpstart 3rd Grade at once. With that in mind please also at least have one video ready to go so I'm not holding a game for someone that never gets done.

Feel free to create OPs for your games in the thread and I will link to them in this post

Some ideas for Edutainment games
Jumpstart series
The Oregon Trail
The Amazon Trail
Super Solver series
Magic School Bus
Carmen Sandiego
Cluefinders
Math Blaster
Sierra's Dr Brain Series
Reader Rabbit

Humongous Entertainment Adventure Games - VLP mateo360

JumpStart 4th Grade: Haunted Island - SSLP widespread
Chapter 1-1 Frog Drugs and Ghost Bubs
Chapter 1-2 The Hunchback of Haunted Island Met Some Scottish Pirates I Guess
Chapter 1-3 Wolfgang Owes Us Big Time

mateo360 fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Apr 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

What is Humongous Entertainment?
Humongous Entertainment (Here out called HE) was a children's game development studio formed in the early 90's by Shelley Day and Ron Gilbert (Yes THAT Ron Gilbert). The name its self was actually a suggestion of Tim Schafer. Around 1999 HE was purchased by GT Interactive which was then bought by Infograms which then became a part of Atari. HE as of now no longer exists but the company Humongous Inc does but really just oversees the new Backyard Sport games. Humongous Entertainment is back in business.

What games will you play?
I will be playing all the main series Junior Adventure Games of the Big 4 +1. Putt-Putt, Freddi Fish, Spy Fox, and Pajama Sam (Fatty Bear is the +1 since he only got one adventure game). The videos will be released in order of release date of the games so It won't be one series of characters after another. There will also be a few bonus game along the line. (as of this writing I only have one Junior Arcade and one Junior Field Trip game each)

How will you play?
There are a lot of clickable points on every screen of these games. I will not be doing all of them. I will do a full run through each game and for the games with different paths, I will also show off all the alternate paths using the debug codes. I will show some of my favorite clickable points when I can and maybe some other random ones if I get curious.

Where can I get these games?
Unfortunately, since Atari went bankrupt, most of these games are out of print for the PC/Mac.:siren:UPDATE 4/17:siren:All of the games except Fatty Bear will be available through Steam by Mid June. However, an app developer called Nimbus Games (http://nimbusgames.com/)have release several of the titles as iOS and Android apps that are available to play. I will link to both the App Store and Google Play (Amazon for a couple) for the games when we get to them. :siren:UPDATE:siren: Since this thread started, Humongous Entertainment has actually been revived as a company at https://humongous.com taking over for Nimbus Games.

Games

Video

Available on Steam

Video

Video

Available on Steam

Bonus

Video

Available on Steam

Video
Eddie and Luther Easter Egg (thanks Bluhman for linking this)

Available on Steam, iOS, Google Play and Amazon App Store

Video
Thanks to Bluhman for linking all these cut bits.
Cotton Candy Easter Egg
Pope Mole
90's Dino meme
The Moose Joke

Bonus

Video

Video
Alternate Paths and Extras

Available on Steam

Video
Alternate Paths

available on Steam, iOS, Google Play and Amazon App Store

Video
Alternate Paths and Ending

Available on Steam, iOS and Google Play

Video
Alternate Paths

Available on Steam iOS, Google Play and Amazon App Store

Video
Alternate Paths

Available on Steam iOS, Google Play and Amazon App Store

Video
Alternate Paths

Executive Washroom Easter Egg (NSFW?)

Video
Alternate Paths

Video
Alternate Paths

Chair Easter Egg

Available on Steam

Video
Alternate Paths

Available on Steam

mateo360 fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 4, 2014

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

ABANDONED HOMEWORLD FOR SALE, CHEAP!!!
Custom desert-marsh conversion in galactic core, 12% oxygen atm., great weather, friendly native life (missing one moon). Great fix-er-upper. Must sell, alien invasion imminent. $3995 or best offer.
Jesus, I completely forgot about the Putt Putt games. I know it's not Humongous, but you should play the old Broderbund games as well. :shepicide:

edit: You might want to balance your audio a bit... the game is absurdly quiet compared to your commentary, at least in Putt-Putt Joins the Parade.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Steak Flavored Gum posted:

Jesus, I completely forgot about the Putt Putt games. I know it's not Humongous, but you should play the old Broderbund games as well. :shepicide:

edit: You might want to balance your audio a bit... the game is absurdly quiet compared to your commentary, at least in Putt-Putt Joins the Parade.

Which Broderbund games? I have a couple Carmen games and a couple of Rugrats games

as far as audio goes. I don't know if this is just parade or what but the sound is ether quiet or overpowering to the point where you can't here me (Mostly with the background music). I am trying to tweek ScummVM properly so the game come through fine with out being so overpowering.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Man I was all about these games from like age 4-10. Freddi Fish 2 was the first computer game I ever played. I'm pretty sure I played all of them. Eventually I gave most of them away to a younger kid I knew. This LP will be the ultimate nostalgia trip.

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

When do we learn head explosions?
Man, I grew up with a lot of these games. I was juuuuuust too old for Spy Fox, which is one I always wanted to try. Maybe that explains my love for adventure games now.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

AdventFalls posted:

Man, I grew up with a lot of these games. I was juuuuuust too old for Spy Fox, which is one I always wanted to try. Maybe that explains my love for adventure games now.

I played and beat all three of the spy fox games as a kid (not counting those two poo poo arcade racer games) and while they were awesome as a kid, they don't hold up now, even when only considering the games geared towards older audiences that were released around the same time. The same thing can probably be said of all the humongous entertainment games.

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

When do we learn head explosions?

gatz posted:

I played and beat all three of the spy fox games as a kid (not counting those two poo poo arcade racer games) and while they were awesome as a kid, they don't hold up now, even when only considering the games geared towards older audiences that were released around the same time. The same thing can probably be said of all the humongous entertainment games.

Oh no doubt. It just sticks out as the last kids game on the PC I wanted before I switched to console platformers.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Back in the days of playing on my dad's PC, the main games I played were a couple of Putt-Putt and Freddi Fish games. :allears: I still have the CDs for these!

I remember that it was these, and Jumpstart Adventures 3rd Grade: Mystery Mountain. Ah, memories.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yapping Eevee posted:

I remember that it was these, and Jumpstart Adventures 3rd Grade: Mystery Mountain. Ah, memories.

Yes! That was the other main one I loved. I never cared for the other Jumpstart games as the younger ones were too simple and the older ones didn't have as tight an interesting a plot. But me and Botley spent a ton of time together saving those robots.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 8, 2013

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Regy Rusty posted:

Yes! That was the other main one I loved. I never cared for the other Jumpstart games as the younger ones were too simple and the older ones didn't have as tight an interesting a plot. But me and Botley spent a ton of time together saving those robots.

Awesome. Glad to know someone else has good taste in kid's games. :hfive:

After watching the video: Oh God, Pep's bark. I remember that sound effect. Can't wait for the zoo game.

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

i really think you're overestimating how much
i love having dog shit smushed all over my face
I can remember seeing these games on demo computers set up in Software Etc stores. I was a teen at the time and well out of the target demographic, but my mother would screw around with the games and remark on how cute she found them (I'd hide by the console games and pretend to be REALLY interested in Sega Saturn and Playstation games).

It's weird seeing a nostalgia thread based on games that I'm aware of, but never played, and that most of the people posting in this thread are going to have rich memories of, and it's all based on the difference of like 3-5 years between us.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Yapping Eevee posted:

Back in the days of playing on my dad's PC, the main games I played were a couple of Putt-Putt and Freddi Fish games. :allears: I still have the CDs for these!

I still have my copy of Jumpstart 3rd Grade Mystery Mountain. I loved that game. I actually bought grades 1-6 for my brother and sister to play.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

mateo360 posted:

I still have my copy of Jumpstart 3rd Grade Mystery Mountain. I loved that game. I actually bought grades 1-6 for my brother and sister to play.

Sounds like you're a pretty awesome sibling then! :D

Someone could LP that, perhaps. They would only need to find guests for 25 episodes. :v:

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

I remember playing both Putt Putt Goes to the Moon and Spy Fox in Dry Cereal. I always got stuck on Spy Fox because the paths weren't always the same and the places to go weren't obvious to me. I needed both of my siblings for to do even decently on it.

And on the Jump Start series, I only played Kindergarten and Second Grade. I don't remember much about the Kindergarten one, but I still sing the noun song from the second grade one. I think all of my childhood games ended up with my god sister since she liked playing them when she came over.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
Humongous Entertainment, oh the nostalgia rush. My copies of the Putt-Putt and Freddi Fish games have vanished (think they were given to a cousin), but the Pajama Sam and Spy Fox ones are sitting in a stack of stuff next to the computer. And another memory is also in the pile, Logical Journey of the Zoombinis. Anybody remember that one?

Jumpstart 3rd grade was the poo poo, such a fun one. But the haunted island one (4th grade I think?) I just couldn't figure out what the hell I was supposed to do and lost interest from the start.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Level Seven posted:

Jumpstart 3rd grade was the poo poo, such a fun one. But the haunted island one (4th grade I think?) I just couldn't figure out what the hell I was supposed to do and lost interest from the start.

They actually changed 4th grade from the Haunted Island to something called Sapphire Falls in 2000. I still haven't found a copy of Haunted Island to play yet.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I'm sorry, I was a The Learning Company kid, so I never got the full Freddie the Fish experience. Gonna watch this to figure out what I missed.

Actually, I asked for a Freddie the Fish game for my birthday once, but got a stupid minigame where you had to shoot bubbles instead of a real adventure.

(I was also thinking of streaming the ClueFinders 3rd Grade game at some point just for fun, but I never really had a thread to put it in... Dyslexiactic was going to make an Edugames thread, but never got around to it... would you mind if I put that here as bonus content at some point?)

Suspicious Dish fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Dec 8, 2013

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yapping Eevee posted:

Someone could LP that, perhaps. They would only need to find guests for 25 episodes. :v:

I'm not sure it would really work too well as an LP since as fun as it was for 7-8 year old me, it has a lot of repetition of the same puzzles/minigames that just get progressively harder. The quiz show at the end was always the best part. I think games intended for young children tend to have a lot of repetition really. It's why I never beat things like Treasure Cove! as a kid, because they just kept going on and on with the same kind of thing forever. The HE games are pretty special in that respect.

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.
I never had any of the Putt-Putt games at home, but our local library's computers did and I played the HELL out of it there whenever I got the chance. :allears:

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm not sure it would really work too well as an LP since as fun as it was for 7-8 year old me, it has a lot of repetition of the same puzzles/minigames that just get progressively harder. The quiz show at the end was always the best part. I think games intended for young children tend to have a lot of repetition really. It's why I never beat things like Treasure Cove! as a kid, because they just kept going on and on with the same kind of thing forever. The HE games are pretty special in that respect.

Indeed, I was being quite sarcastic. :cheeky: There is only some many times you can show off not-Astrolander before it starts getting silly.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
Oh wow, Putt Putt. I completely forgot about this game, how could I ? I think I borrowed it from a multimedia library when I was 5, and it was one of my first games ever. I think I also played to Spy Fox, but I really can't recall any of it.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Tink Tonk Adventures for life! (As literally as is possible... if I found a copy of Castle Clobber today, I'd play the hell out of it, but its very existence seems to have been erased from history, even the Internet that never forgets anything that existed for even a second...)

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Suspicious Dish posted:

I'm sorry, I was a The Learning Company kid, so I never got the full Freddie the Fish experience. Gonna watch this to figure out what I missed.

Actually, I asked for a Freddie the Fish game for my birthday once, but got a stupid minigame where you had to shoot bubbles instead of a real adventure.

(I was also thinking of streaming the ClueFinders 3rd Grade game at some point just for fun, but I never really had a thread to put it in... Dyslexiactic was going to make an Edugames thread, but never got around to it... would you mind if I put that here as bonus content at some point?)

Be my guest I would be interested in seeing Cluefinders. I never played them as a kid.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I used to love these games when I was a kid. I was looking up info them and found out that the story writer, co-founder, and former CEO of Humongous Entertainment Shelly Day went on to be imprisoned for bank fraud to the tune of $1.5 million.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
(Please note I had to run out to work while this was uploading. Give it about 5 minutes from this posting time to be ready to watch)

It's Birthday time

Video

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I remember being really disappointed the second time I played this because I tried what you did - not letting the puppy out of the box. It would've been funny if they'd let you skip half the game by just leaving it alone.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
The best Putt Putt game is Putt Putt Saves the Zoo. The best Pajama Sam game is the third one that has to do with food and poo poo. The best Spy Fox game is the first one. I'm not sure what the best Freddi Fish game is but I think it's the third one. These have been my opinions on a bunch of children's adventure games

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Oh, wow. I had this game too, but I completely forgot about it until I saw this video. :monocle:

BoltR
Jun 3, 2008
My house was also a The Learning Company, and Sierra house. Though looking at the years these were released, I guess I would have out aged them by a fair amount anyways.

I kinda feel like I missed out.

Think Quick! was the best thing ever.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
I forget if Buzzy would count for this...

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I played the poo poo out of Pyjama Sam 3 as a kid. And the western-themed Freddi Fish game, but I don't know what number in the series that was.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Aw man, SO much nostalgia. I'm pretty sure some Freddie Fish thing was my first ever video game, and I remember being so excited when my dad got me some Spy Fox game for being a good boy when my tonsils got taken out when I was like 5. This should be a trip down memory lane.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

DStecks posted:

I played the poo poo out of Pyjama Sam 3 as a kid. And the western-themed Freddi Fish game, but I don't know what number in the series that was.

That was Freddi Fish 4: The Case of the Hogfish Rustlers!

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
And now for more Putt-Putt

Video

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The Fatty Bear plane game gets pretty nuts as things go on. It's probably the best thing about this game. Even at the time I didn't care for these early ones as much because they're just so short and have almost no puzzles whatsoever. It's a good thing these three were later released on a single CD collection, or I'd have been really disappointed by them.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
I'd recommend taking a look at the Fatty Bear demo, since there's a decent amount of content in said demo that doesn't actually appear in the main game. Nothing major, but enough to be interesting.

PeterSlaybriel
Jun 23, 2013
I'm just hoping that there's still interest in this thread- I'd love to see someone get to Pajama Sam, Spyfox, or Freddy Fish. Pajama Sam was one of the first games I ever played, I can't say how much I love it.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
There is. I have the next two videos recorded. With the holidays, dentist appointments and work I have been very busy and tired, but I sould get the commentary for them done some time by next week and there should be a new video then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
I never played the early Putt Putt games you've shown off; it's cool to see how Humongous' games grew from such simple things into their later, more polished works. Spy Fox in particular was a lot of fun, but they were all pretty great.

• Locked thread