Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

mateo360 posted:

Where can I get these games?
Unfortunately, since Atari went bankrupt, most of these games are out of print for the PC/Mac. However, an app developer called Nimbus Games (http://nimbusgames.com/)have release several of the titles as iOS and Android apps that are available to play. I will link to both the App Store and Google Play (Amazon for a couple) for the games when we get to them.

Some of them were even ported to the Wii:

http://www.amazon.com/Pajama-Sam-Dont-Fear-Dark-Nintendo/dp/B0017HGHFC/ref=pd_sim_vg_1
http://www.amazon.com/Freddi-Fish-Kelp-Seed-Mystery-Nintendo/dp/B0018YDK9U/ref=pd_sim_vg_1
http://www.amazon.com/Spy-Fox-Dry-Cereal-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B0018YDKAO/ref=pd_sim_vg_2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
You have a pretty good voice for narrating over these games, Mateo. It's just so cheery!

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
For the long delay, have two videos

Bonus

Video

Video

Available on iOS and Android(via Amazon)

in other news: I was at the thrift store the other day and I was able to pick up two things

The game on the left is the original Jump Start Adventures 4th Grade: Haunted Island. We were talking in the thread about Jump Start earlier and how the 4th grade one was replace in about 2000. Now I have both versions.

The other game is another HE game. Blue's Clues was the only licence that HE ever really worked with outside of their own so I was happy to find one of the Blue's adventure games for this thread. Expect this as a bonus some where later in the thread

I also saw copies of Cluefinders 3rd and 4th grade but I didn't pick them up.

Also what would people think about me turning this into a Educational games megathread? Dish brough up that Dyslexiactic was going to but never did and we have a good start here.

I do want to address this. Atari made these ports and since they have gone bankrupt, these aren't really made any more (though I was thinking of getting a copy of Spy Fox and maybe doing a live commentary run of my impressions of the port along with Pajama Sam 3 on PS1)

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Ah man. Freddi Fish. Pretty sure that was my first ever video game.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You didn't show off one of the best mini-games in the series! It's in the beach area with the crab, off the right side of the screen.

Anyway I actually forgot that this game even had multiple locations for the bottles to appear. I guess it's because unlike later games, where all the puzzles actually change drastically depending on which path you get, in this one all the puzzles are solvable and items obtainable, even if you never need to do them to get a bottle. Really the only things we missed out on were Luther's incompetence resulting in the need for the fishing pole and the king being a selfish jerk.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
Been silently following the thread up to now. This game, along with the 2nd Freddi Fish and Putt-Putt saves the Zoo were probably my favorites of these games.

But what if there was another way to get past Eddie the Eel?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The original Jumpstart 4th Grade scared me too much as a kid to play it very much. Jumpstarts 3rd and 5th Grade were my poo poo, 3rd especially. The games in 6th went on too long for my tastes.

I have opinions on edutainment.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Bluhman posted:

Been silently following the thread up to now. This game, along with the 2nd Freddi Fish and Putt-Putt saves the Zoo were probably my favorites of these games.

But what if there was another way to get past Eddie the Eel?

I would show that (and several other Easter eggs in other games) but they require the editing of hegames.ini which I can't do with scummVM.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
I remember playing Checkers a bunch in that activity pack. :) Watching that video somehow reminded me of an edutainment game that had you looking around an airport, with this luggage directing minigame. Some searching revealed it as part of the 'Buzzy the Knowledge Bug' games, also by HE. (Buzzy is actually one of the bubbles from the credit sequence of the Freddi video. :ssh:)

Oh man, I remember playing that Freddi Fish game a bunch. :allears: The sheer level of nostalgia in this thread is incredible.

...Wait, Freddi's a girl? :psyduck: I suppose that explains the spelling, huh.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Yapping Eevee posted:

I remember playing Checkers a bunch in that activity pack. :) Watching that video somehow reminded me of an edutainment game that had you looking around an airport, with this luggage directing minigame. Some searching revealed it as part of the 'Buzzy the Knowledge Bug' games, also by HE. (Buzzy is actually one of the bubbles from the credit sequence of the Freddi video. :ssh:)

Oh man, I remember playing that Freddi Fish game a bunch. :allears: The sheer level of nostalgia in this thread is incredible.

...Wait, Freddi's a girl? :psyduck: I suppose that explains the spelling, huh.

Yep, Buzzy Explore's the Airport is one of the bonuses I have planned. I unfortunately don't have the other two any more.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

mateo360 posted:

Yep, Buzzy Explore's the Airport is one of the bonuses I have planned. I unfortunately don't have the other two any more.

Awesome! Good luck with your luggage.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

mateo360 posted:

in other news: I was at the thrift store the other day and I was able to pick up two things

The game on the left is the original Jump Start Adventures 4th Grade: Haunted Island. We were talking in the thread about Jump Start earlier and how the 4th grade one was replace in about 2000. Now I have both versions.

:swoon: oh you lucky fucker, when I graduated high school I got lucky and got copies of Jumpstart 3rd and 5th Grade off Ebay for like combined $10 but couldn't get the 4th one (the BEST of the three)

man I feel like these games would do well with group or just co-commentators

Next-Jin Engine
Dec 7, 2013
Humoungous Entertainment was the height of games during my childhood, back when all I had was my parents' cruddy Windows 95 computer. I like to think Humongous Entertainment implanted the souls of adventure gaming into kids at a young age, maybe even installing the drive to go make them themselves...
(skip to 2:05)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmHElzMl78M
(video from way back during Telltale's Strongbad games)

Next-Jin Engine fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jan 10, 2014

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

hell yea! Putt putt! one of the few educational pc games I've played along with various school approved games like reader rabbit.

The Zoo one is definitely the best of them, and I liked Freddie the fish to an extent too.

Blue Ghost
Dec 12, 2012
I think I only played this first Freddi Fish game and the maze arcade game so I'm kind of interested to see the other Freddi Fish games.

I'm not sure that the purple sea urchins are money, they just seem like rocks because nobody cares that you pick them up off the ground and hold open doors. But then the mother gives you one for saving her child, so I don't know how much she actually wanted her child back.

Twisted Eye
Jan 6, 2011

mateo360 posted:

Awesome, all I could think of when I opened this thread was, what, no love for Buzzy at the airport? Annnnd then I remembered it wasn't actually a game, unless you were playing the hide and seek kind of game. Definitely fun to just poke around at all the weird crap

Now, the luggage mini-game on the other hand, was much too awesome to belong there. still pissed off at the last level basically being little more than, 'hey, good luck with that RNG there, loser!' :arghfist:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Blue Ghost posted:

I think I only played this first Freddi Fish game and the maze arcade game so I'm kind of interested to see the other Freddi Fish games.

I'm not sure that the purple sea urchins are money, they just seem like rocks because nobody cares that you pick them up off the ground and hold open doors. But then the mother gives you one for saving her child, so I don't know how much she actually wanted her child back.

They are money - this will become clear in later games.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Video

Available on PC surprisingly enough, iOS, Android through Amazon as well

In other non HE games news, I went back to the thrift store today and picked up those copies of Cluefinders 3rd and 4th grade

I also found a sealed copy of Star Wars X-Wing Alliance for $3. Score.

mateo360 fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 11, 2014

Brewsuke
Jan 8, 2014
This is without a doubt the best thing I've ever come across. I loved playing the first Pajama Sam game when I was a kid, I must've beaten it a hundred times on my old computer. They're hard to find nowadays, of course, but it's nice to see that there's someone else who enjoyed them. Multiple someone elses, it looks like.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Putt-Putt Saves The Zoo. :allears: Just look at this great game. The animation in this and Freddi Fish's first game is pretty impressive when compared to the previous titles.

That song, though. That song is a thing of beauty.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
Now that you've gone through it and taken like a billion photos, I realize how much detail was put into this game. Also didn't know that tidbit about The Fat Man doing music for this game - I mostly remember him for doing the soundtrack for The 7th Guest.

The detail coincides with it having the most hidden easter eggs, all of which are activated by changing game settings:
The easter egg Mateo mentioned - Eating 10 cotton candy's isn't such a good idea.
A pope mole
Putt Putt is not a paleontologist.
A very long joke.

Blue Ghost
Dec 12, 2012
The entire time I was watching this I had a really goofy smile on my face. I also liked the new art and kind of transposed the art of this game to the previous games before watching the previous videos, it was kind of surprising the difference there was.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I believe the notion of "open = down, closed = up" for drawbridges is specific to bridges that seal gates when raised, since they act more like doors and the relation is in reference to the gate rather than the bridge itself. As someone who grew up around drawbridges that simply separate in the middle so ships can pass, I'm rather familiar with drawbridges being open when they're raised and closed when they're lowered.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Jesus motherfucking christ, this entire thread is my childhood. I used to have a lovely mac without internet, all I'd do on it was play, like, loving Pajama Sam and Putt-Putt and Freddi Fish and Spy Fox and ClueFinders. I swear I used to have all the discs for a poo poo ton of old edutainment mac games in some case. I had a few other different games I can very vividly remember, but that's a matter for the Help Us Remember The Name Of A Game thread.

But Pajama Sam and Spy Fox, man. Those games were the poo poo. They may have contributed to my personal love for adventure games in general.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Have you though about doing any of the Hulabee games? Ron and Shelly founded it soon after they left Humongous, and did a few other kids games there before it folded.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jan 13, 2014

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Oh holy poo poo, this looks to be promising. Let's see... did Spy Fox 3 and Freddy Fish 2. Those were my first bits into PC Gaming.

Waffleman_ posted:

The original Jumpstart 4th Grade scared me too much as a kid to play it very much. Jumpstarts 3rd and 5th Grade were my poo poo, 3rd especially. The games in 6th went on too long for my tastes.

I have opinions on edutainment.

Dude, Jumpstart 4th Grade pretty much was the one game I flat-out refused to play out of fright. But then again, the game was done SUPERBLY. Also, fuckin' 5th Grade's my addiction and poo poo. Gah.

P.S. We shouldn't speak about ScummVM here, should we?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

widespread posted:

Dude, Jumpstart 4th Grade pretty much was the one game I flat-out refused to play out of fright. But then again, the game was done SUPERBLY. Also, fuckin' 5th Grade's my addiction and poo poo. Gah.

Man, it's too bad the Jumpstart games come in a terrible format to LP or I'd be all over that poo poo.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Man, it's too bad the Jumpstart games come in a terrible format to LP or I'd be all over that poo poo.

Well they're not too different from the Cluefinder games, just a lot longer. For 5th Grade, as an example, you could probably capture all of the conversations and then just splice in footage of solving everything as you go through. 3rd Grade I think would be the easiest because all you really need is to capture all of the footage for choosing a robot and then playing Polywood Squares.

At least 3rd, 4th and 5th actually have stories to encourage you to keep playing, 2nd Grade was just collecting stamps and I never played 1st but it was probably similar in that sense.

I'm sorry, I just really love the Jumpstart series, that was my "kids game" series growing up when I wasn't reading Living Books or playing Warcraft v:shobon:v

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Aces High posted:

Well they're not too different from the Cluefinder games, just a lot longer. For 5th Grade, as an example, you could probably capture all of the conversations and then just splice in footage of solving everything as you go through. 3rd Grade I think would be the easiest because all you really need is to capture all of the footage for choosing a robot and then playing Polywood Squares.

At least 3rd, 4th and 5th actually have stories to encourage you to keep playing, 2nd Grade was just collecting stamps and I never played 1st but it was probably similar in that sense.

I'm sorry, I just really love the Jumpstart series, that was my "kids game" series growing up when I wasn't reading Living Books or playing Warcraft v:shobon:v

Probably should get mateo on the horn about that. Or make a thread. Now, as for how they'd go, it would most likely wind up as a narrative LP or something.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

widespread posted:

Probably should get mateo on the horn about that. Or make a thread. Now, as for how they'd go, it would most likely wind up as a narrative LP or something.

I wish thinking I may try and stream those games and post them in this thread, but I would need people who would be willing to go through them with me. The games get so repetitive that I would need some one to at least bounce off of as we get later in to the games. Or I guess for a LP format: The first couple of episodes introduces each game and then later would be the robot intro, Highlights from the games and than Polywood Squares like Ace said.

widespread posted:

Go ahead. I am using ScummVM for this and it will be greatly obvious when I start doing the videos with multiple paths using the debug rooms.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

mateo360 posted:

I wish thinking I may try and stream those games and post them in this thread, but I would need people who would be willing to go through them with me. The games get so repetitive that I would need some one to at least bounce off of as we get later in to the games. Or I guess for a LP format: The first couple of episodes introduces each game and then later would be the robot intro, Highlights from the games and than Polywood Squares like Ace said.

If you need someone, I'd totally be down. This game was my jam even long after 3rd grade came and went.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

With your acquiring various kid's games were you planning to just turn this into a megathread Mateo? Or were you just gonna finish the Humongous games and then start another thread for The Clufinders and Jumpstart games?

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Maybe I should just go ahead and make this a mega thread. :P

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
Oh man, "Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego" was the poo poo. It's how I learned about stuff like Yuri Gagarin and the Norse origins of Tuesday (Tyr's day), Wednesday (Woden's day), Thursday (Thor's day) and Friday (Frigg's day).

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
This thread is going to be a massive nostalgia trip I can already tell and it's the best.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Phelddagrif posted:

Oh man, "Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego" was the poo poo. It's how I learned about stuff like Yuri Gagarin and the Norse origins of Tuesday (Tyr's day), Wednesday (Woden's day), Thursday (Thor's day) and Friday (Frigg's day).

Time is something I have been wanting to do for years. For the longest time I wasn't even able to get it to run but recently I have been able to but I am having some weird random audio glitches. I may just have to Frankenstein videos together for it to avoid audio problems from the game.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

mateo360 posted:

My family had so many of these. And likely a dozen more not seen here.
I never did play the cluefinder games, more of a supersolver kid, but my younger siblings finished the 3rd, 4th, 5th grade and the math one.
Does anyone remember Carmen Sandiego Think Quick? It was the game with the robots and it was set up like a quiz show. I think I moved my sister's save of it through 2 or 3 different computer upgrades.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Major_JF posted:

Does anyone remember Carmen Sandiego Think Quick? It was the game with the robots and it was set up like a quiz show. I think I moved my sister's save of it through 2 or 3 different computer upgrades.

Holy poo poo I remember that game, my grandparents owned it and me and my cousins used to play that to pass time. My grandparents also got me Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge one year, my grandparents are pretty hip :cool:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Major_JF posted:

That game. That loving game. I've remembered that game so clearly and never even knew the name. I owned that and Where in Time.

I owned a lot of these games. One game I used to have was Oregon Trail 5. It was Oregon Trail with animated cutscenes and a plot with characters. It also was not good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

mateo360 posted:

Not sure if this'll be a good idea or not. But if it winds up being way successful, then I wanna do 4th/5th Grade. One or the other or both or something.

• Locked thread