Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

What are the "new" Jumpstart games like any ways? I direct that towards the Advanced line and alternate versions of 3rd, 4th and 5th Grade. I read somewhere that 4th Grade was pulled from shelves pdq because it was a bit toooo scary for a kid's game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Aces High posted:

What are the "new" Jumpstart games like any ways? I direct that towards the Advanced line and alternate versions of 3rd, 4th and 5th Grade. I read somewhere that 4th Grade was pulled from shelves pdq because it was a bit toooo scary for a kid's game.

The only one that was changed was 4th. I haven't actually played all the way through 4th (ether of them) 5th or 6th.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
It's time for a Bonus

Video

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Well it's good to know that childhood me was right in thinking that the Buzzy games were probably boring.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
I really hope you're going to play Putt Putt travels through time - that was by far the best of the series.

Blue Ghost
Dec 12, 2012
I remember as a kid I was allowed to go with a few friends and parents to an airport and have someone take us down to the tarmac and look at how planes are prepared for flights, as well as some other areas. I'm pretty sure that they wouldn't let you do that anymore.

I don't think I ever used the "What is THIS" button, for a time before the internet it would have been fairly useful.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
There are a full 99 levels of that luggage minigame, and the last one is basically luck-based. Beating it puts you back to level 1.

While the Airport game has music from Putt-Putt Goes to the Moon and the first Freddi Fish game playing in the waiting room, its HE4 file also contains unused music from Fatty Bear's Birthday Surprise and Putt-Putt Joins the Parade. :eng101: The waiting room also has a bunch of shout-outs.

TVTropes posted:

Paging Mr. Waldo, Mr. Waldo, where are you?
Would the owner of a small purple convertible please come to the parking garage?
Would the owner of a teddy bear with red overalls please come to the Lost and Found?
Calling Steven Spielberg, would you please phone home?

For the curious, the Jungle game's most notable feature was that their Anteater Feeder minigame went for a fairly Doom-like hud, complete with a bunch of different reactions for the anteater's face. (That, and some of the animals were in the wrong place. :ssh:)

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

The luggage sorting minigame would also go on to be turned into a full on side game: Pajama Sam's Sock Works
Same basic concept, puts colored socks in the bin. But now we can charge money for it!

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Video
Alternate Paths and Extras

Something stinks at school and it isn't all the fish.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hell yes, this was the first HE game I played. It took young me and my parents like a week to beat it because I had never seen anything like it before.

I also later owned a cassette tape with extended versions of all the songs from the game. I probably still have it in a closet somewhere with all my other childhood tapes.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Regy Rusty posted:

Hell yes, this was the first HE game I played. It took young me and my parents like a week to beat it because I had never seen anything like it before.

I also later owned a cassette tape with extended versions of all the songs from the game. I probably still have it in a closet somewhere with all my other childhood tapes.

I had that Cassette too. It came with this book.

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy

Yapping Eevee posted:

There are a full 99 levels of that luggage minigame, and the last one is basically luck-based. Beating it puts you back to level 1.
I almost played to the end of that luggage game when I was a little lad, but the later levels of that game would fail you if you didn't react in the first second or two. Now that I know that finishing it brings me back to the start, I'm kinda glad I gave up to save me from disappointment as a kid. It was pretty much the only game I would load up once I put the disk in. I was strangely addicted to it.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Are the Humungous Entertainment games just considered kid's games or are they also considered educational? I mean the Jumpstart series and Cluefinders games were obviously meant to be teaching kids skills that they were learning in the respective grades but what about other games like The Yukon Trail or The Amazon Trail? Heck I think The Oregon Trail technically falls under those titles listed above :v:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

They're not really explicitly educational, though they can still teach things. Like for instance this game taught me what a pullet is.

Pulley too for that matter. :v:

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Well, now we're into the first game of the thread I never played. Looked like a pretty good one though! (Those trophy lines were cheesy as all-get-out, though.)

I'll be eagerly awaiting more awesome HE games, mateo. Keep up the great work. :allears:

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

mateo360 posted:

Video
Alternate Paths and Extras

Something stinks at school and it isn't all the fish.

Just one word: mock-stock-mibble-bock-wopper-bopper.
gently caress Y'ALL THAT IS SO ONE WORD.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
I find watching this interesting not because of nostalgia, but because it's very different from my own first games. We had a NES, and I played iceclimber, bubble bobble and Mario, but my first computer game was on floppy disk. Our first computer, and I got to choose a game at the store, picking Hugo's house of Horrors 3: Jungle of Doom. You had to write what to do. I still remember sitting in my dads lap as he translated to Swedish for me. It thought me words like Examine and Matches.
Later on, when I was twelve, our teacher was the first computer "administrator" of our school, leading to our class being the first to have computers in our classroom, which were his own donated computers that he scrounged up. We played Cheops pyramid, getting far above our grade in maths even if none of us ever solved it. On two of the computers there was a game I can't find any more where you were accused of theft and was trying to clear your name. It was a straight adventure game mystery and went well over the head of all of us.
The only educational game I remember playing, except straight up boring spelling games (and one teaching you how to type on a keyboard correctly) we played on the only projector in the school, I think that too belonged to our teacher, all else was still on overhead projector. It was about red riding hood, some kind of alternate story. We raised hands with suggestions and our teacher played the game.

So yeah, this is interesting to me, seeing what I might have played a few years later. As far as I know, these games might have been available in other countries at the time, or even in Sweden. I don't recall ever seeing them when I was actually little though.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Hello thread.

I just wanted to let you know I have decided to open this thread up and make it into an Edutainment Megathread.

I have made a new OP you should go take a look at. I have also put in a name change request with slowbeef.

edit: wow the name change was fast. Thanks slowbeef.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

What are you using to record your stuff Mateo? I figured I might dust off my copy of Jumpstart 5th and give it a go but I'm not sure if just using Fraps will work (some older games I have haven't worked that way)

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Aces High posted:

What are you using to record your stuff Mateo? I figured I might dust off my copy of Jumpstart 5th and give it a go but I'm not sure if just using Fraps will work (some older games I have haven't worked that way)

I'm using Virtualdub with SCFHD for my stuff, but it is also in a window so it is easy to drag to cover the window. Fraps still might be better for full screen.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm a little sad to hear the doofy sharks aren't coming back for future games. If Hollywood has taught me anything, it's that doofy sharks are essential to properly present animated marine life children's entertainment.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Video
Alternate Paths

available on iOS and Android

mateo360 fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Feb 6, 2014

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Our school had an edutainment game that took place in a spooky castle or mansion or something along those lines. The puzzles were too hard for me at the time but I've always
want to take another crack at them today.

All my searching just leads me back to the Dr. Brain series, but it wasn't one of those games.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
There seems to be something wrong with the first video, as it's not unlisted... but not showing up on mateo's video list either. This is also bugging out the downloader I normally use (because Youtube's buffering is rubbish).

It even says it has no views. :psyduck:

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Yapping Eevee posted:

There seems to be something wrong with the first video, as it's not unlisted... but not showing up on mateo's video list either. This is also bugging out the downloader I normally use (because Youtube's buffering is rubbish).

It even says it has no views. :psyduck:

It still says it is processing but also while it is doing this I got a copyright strike against the two Animaniacs Great Edgar Hunt videos I made a while ago so that may have affected things.

Edit: it has been "rejected" for beeing too long now.

mateo360 fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 6, 2014

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
try it now. It still says processing but it is on a new account now.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
The thing you said made no sense is actually a Socrates quote. "I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing"

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The first Pajama Sam game really resonated with me as a kid. I was a little older than when I was afraid of the dark, but I think something about him going and confronting his fears really endeared him to me.

A weird thing about this game, at least in my experience, is that the three less interesting paths (the ones in the main video) are the ones that are vastly more likely to show up in a playthrough. It took a long time before I was even sure that there was a second path for the mask. I'm glad they later added the ability to select which paths you were going to see in a playthrough.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Yeah, I remember it took a good few tries before I could see ANY of those 'used in a different path' rooms to trigger, aside from the area under the well.
This game is the first of the lot you've shown that I can look on with fondness beyond just nostalgia. The whole Land of Darkness is a beautiful-looking and beautifully trippy place (god I would've killed for a treehouse like that) and everyone you run into is so memorably weird - those three candles in the stairwell behind the secret door have the most rambling, ludicrous conversations if you click around them in different orders.
I'm sort of surprised you could run into a situation where you hadn't met Otto and yet the game mentioned him by name, given they had the foresight to record a whole different conversation if you just chuck the board into the stream without speaking to him first.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Oh man, this is the nostalgia-est thread. I had Putt-Putt Saves the Zoo and Travels Through Time, Freddie Fish (not sure which ones), Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego, and a bunch of those JumpStart games. The one I remember the most is (after some research) the 6th grade one and the Spy Masters ones, but I think I played most of them. The computers at school had Pajama Sam but I never really played it. I also had Math Blaster Episodes 1 and 2 that I remember pretty well, and one of the others but I can't figure out which one - it was set on a group of islands or something, and there was a volcano involved.

Oh, and the Zoombinis games. Those sucked, or at least young-me thought so.

Looking back on it, I'm pretty sure my mom (a teacher) was using me as a guinea pig for all these edutainment games... I'm not sure if most of them were actually ours or stuff that the school owned. I know I still have the Spy Masters CDs somewhere though.

So basically this thread will be one huge nostalgia trip for me.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

This game seems to have the strongest Lucasarts feel to it. It was actually pretty funny at times.

-Gratuitous Educational Segment-

For the Ancient Egypt Question, bot Ra and Re would be correct answers. Ancient Egyptian writing leaves vowels out of the word similar to how Hebrew and Arabic do. Whenever Archaeologists come across Egyptian words that they don't know the vowel sound to, they just insert an 'e', although it could also be an 'a' sound. So the Sun God's name, which was just written as the Egyptian equivalent of 'R' could be Ra or Re.

Also Khafre (as written before, he could also be called Khefre or Khafra) was the son of Khufu, the builder of the Great Pyramid of Giza, and the grandson of Snefru the first of the great Pyramid builders. While Snefru was remembered as a great architect, Khafre was remembered poorly by the historian Herodotus(possibly incorectly due to the differing culture of the Greeks, not to mention the fact that he lived centuries later) as a much more cruel leader.

RaspberryCommie fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Feb 6, 2014

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I still have my copy of Wishbone and the Amazing Odyssey and it worked pretty well when I tried it on the last computer I had. I'm tempted to LP it, some of the minigames and stuff were pretty cool (including playing a snakes-and-ladders style board game with Hades)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

a medical mystery posted:

I still have my copy of Wishbone and the Amazing Odyssey and it worked pretty well when I tried it on the last computer I had. I'm tempted to LP it, some of the minigames and stuff were pretty cool (including playing a snakes-and-ladders style board game with Hades)

Oh man, that game was like Jumpstart 3rd Grade in that it was my loving JAM.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ooh I forgot about that one. That was a game I never owned but kept borrowing from the library for some reason. I think it took me like three borrows before I actually beat it. Not sure why I never just got my parents to buy it for me since I had plenty of other games.

I also borrowed one of the Civilization games when I was way too young to understand what the hell I was doing. I vaguely remember getting completely roadblocked because I couldn't figure how to attack other countries but they could attack me.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

I loved Wishbone growing up. I didn't know they made a game of it. Now I'm going to be humming the Wishbone theme all day.

If they don't have a badly compressed version of the theme song to start the game I will be severely disappointed. :colbert:

mateo360 fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 6, 2014

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

There were two edutainment games with the Pink Panther in them: Passport to Peril, and Hokus Pokus. Both involved travelling to different countries and meeting local stereotypes from the human and animal kingdoms. Highlights include Pink faking Chinese opera singing by stepping on a cat's tail, Pink using a termite-loaded anteater as a wood-crafting shotgun, Pink kicking a short Cockney kid for his rhyming riddles, and multiple animations for riding an overcrowded train in India. That's the first game. I had that as a kid. Years later I played the second one, and don't remember anything from it.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

:aaaaa: there were Wishbone GAMES?!?! Man if my sister knew about that she would've tried her hardest to get it. All we had was Wishbone's Print Tricks, which still felt like a game even though it was just a printing application

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Aces High posted:

:aaaaa: there were Wishbone GAMES?!?! Man if my sister knew about that she would've tried her hardest to get it. All we had was Wishbone's Print Tricks, which still felt like a game even though it was just a printing application

There was only the one, AFAIK. Wishbone's little quips and stuff are legitimately amusing in it, I actually had more fun than I thought I would replaying it for larks a while back.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

There was only the one, AFAIK. Wishbone's little quips and stuff are legitimately amusing in it, I actually had more fun than I thought I would replaying it for larks a while back.

well hell that's half of the fun with anything Wishbone is hearing him make his little side comments :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There was actually another one!

Though it was more a collection of minigames like the one with Fatty Bear and Putt-Putt.

• Locked thread