Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

I was going to do the cartoon as well. If you get it up and running I'll do my part and add interesting info about the times . I may even try for where in the USA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Erm... gimme a bit. Life got in the way. I'll try to get the next student nice and human soon-ish. Read: 3 or so days, give or take.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It makes me a little happy that all of Humongous Entertainment's old protagonists come back for the credits roll.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Video
Alternate Paths

Executive Washroom Easter Egg (NSFW?)

Available on Steam, iOS, Google Play and Amazon App Store

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Couldn't you see it? the last puzzle piece was in the diner.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I swear I looked in the lunchroom 3 time and I didn't see it.

it seems so obvious now.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Hey, an Edutainment games thread. Awesome, I'll have to catch up.

Also I distinctly remember running an old series of games on our one black-and-white Mac back in grade school. It was called Decisions, Decisions: The Environment and it was basically a mostly text CYOA where you're a mayor or something and you have to save your town's environment without pissing everyone off. Looks like that series is still in production: http://teacher.scholastic.com/products/tomsnyder.htm

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
It is interesting that sam doesn't need a mask anymore.

It was cute that the backgrounds of the personal files were the persons favorite color.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Thunder and Lightning are kind of interesting. Thunder's wearing a full-length garment of some sort and Sam calls her "ma'am", but I don't think that's a woman voicing her.

Kitten Head Ridge
Apr 3, 2009

It is surprising how much space is needed to 'swing a cat'!
I thought I had posted in this thread some time ago, but I guess not. Anyway, I've been enjoying these LPs. I hadn't played any of these games, but they seem like something I would have really enjoyed when I was younger. Instead, I had grown up playing a ton of Apple IIGS and Macintosh Performa MECC games when I was in elementary school. Considering that I was of the intended age range when these games were first released, I guess budgetary or curricular reasons were probably why I hadn't played any of HE's games.

Glazius posted:

Thunder and Lightning are kind of interesting. Thunder's wearing a full-length garment of some sort and Sam calls her "ma'am", but I don't think that's a woman voicing her.
I, too, thought that Thunder had a masculine-sounding voice. If you take notice of her figure, it is feminine, so there is that, too.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

how old are most of these games any ways? Late 90s? Early? All over?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Humongous Entertainment games ranged from the early 90's to the early 2000's. We're up to 1998 with the latest game.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
What do you get for completing the jigsaw puzzle, by the way? Also, are Thunder and Lightning supposed to be fraternal twins? It seems too coincidental for them to have the same birthdays otherwise.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Video

Alternate Paths

I'm now going to try and speed through the rest of the HE games since it and almost been half a year since I started.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Wow, Putt-Putt just sounds wrong like this. :psyduck: (Mind you, that's probably just the nostalgia talking.) The dashboard painting was a nice touch though, as was the race itself.

This thread is still great. :allears: I've thoroughly enjoyed the HE games we've seen so far; I hope that we manage to see some other interesting edutainment games in this thread.

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.
I thought the credits pictures that included animals like an anteater or an ostrich implied the baby lemur was also a variable factor in Putt Putt Enters the Race, but I'm guessing that's not the case? Ah well.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I have some exciting news I want to share. I think I finally have almost all the bugs worked out of play Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego (90's version with the good guides). If all works out, I will ether run it along side the remaining HE games, or do it immediately after.

NoGoodNight
Dec 26, 2013
Been loving this thread so far - I was pretty big on Humongous games when I was young, always good fun to revisit them every once in a while.

Dunno if anyone mentioned them yet, but who here has played Edmark games, such as Thinkin' Things? I remember being quite fond of them and it'd be nice to see someone go to a run-through on some of those games.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Thinkin' Things! I haven't thought about those in ages. They were cool, I don't remember them as well as the HE games though.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Anybody remember Snootz Math Trek? The game with the purple and green aliens and the talking dog? I think my copy was glitched or something because I could never find the ship's fifth piece, even though it was randomized where they were each time you reset the game.

Kitten Head Ridge
Apr 3, 2009

We had one of the Thinkin' Things games pre-installed on our family Macintosh Performa that we had purchased when I was in fifth grade. Even though I was older than its expected age range, I still had fun goofing around with it from time to time. For a while, we had to babysit my cousin who is five years younger than me, and she enjoyed playing this game when she was over to visit.

EDIT: Also, I remember playing some sort of math- and puzzle-based game in middle school where you played as three different aliens: a tall and thin green woman who had pulled-up hair, a small hovering robot, and a hefty green man who wore a helmet and had antennae. You had to navigate these characters around a board that had a series of rooms to collect numbers to use in solving arithmetic problems. The rooms were either closed off by doors or could only be accessed by small holes in the walls or floors. The doors either opened by stepping on floor panels which only the man could trigger because of his weight or by drawstring switches (with ring-shaped handles) which only the woman could activate because of both her height and strength. (The robot could reach the drawstrings, but he was too weak to properly pull them.) The robot could go through the holes in the walls and floors because of his hovering ability and size. I know that my explanation is lengthy, but does anyone have any clue what the name was? I'm guessing it was a Windows 95 game.

Kitten Head Ridge fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jun 3, 2014

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013
Sounds like one of the mid-90's Math Blaster games.

*Edit: Specifically this one:

Unload My Head fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 3, 2014

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I have learned that they have actually remade the first two Math Blaster games several times. I have the third version of both, Mega Math Blaster and Math Blaster Ages 9-12

Kitten Head Ridge
Apr 3, 2009

Yep, Math Blaster certainly is it, and it's evidently the second episode that we had at my middle school. (I've always been better at remembering visual details than names.) And I don't think I had played any of the other activities other than Number Hunt at length.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. Joins the Race seems a lot shorter and less variable than the other Putt-Putt games. Wonder why?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The Putt-Putt games are weird. Right at the time when the other series were getting more complex, they took a sharp turn back to simplicity. The next one is equally straightforward. I don't know why.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Regy Rusty posted:

The Putt-Putt games are weird. Right at the time when the other series were getting more complex, they took a sharp turn back to simplicity. The next one is equally straightforward. I don't know why.

Yep, the last two Putt-Putts are complete straight forward. No extra videos for those. In other news, I got a second external hard drive exclusively for my video recording and editing and with the new found space, I have record all the rest of the HE games left. 8 games, about 12 hours of footage... I have edited down and now I have to commentate over it :shepicide:

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Hey everyone. The Steam Summer sale started today and all the Humongous Entertainment games are 50% including the packs. You can get the complete pack for about $50.

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/42723/

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Dibs on Mario's Time Machine. History is extremely my poo poo.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Video
Alternate Paths

Chair Easter Egg

Available on Steam

mateo360 fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 23, 2014

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.
So what happens if you dump LeRoach into the Fiji pipe or the sewer water? And what happened to that electric-chair-elevator easter egg you hinted at?

I ask the hard hitting questions about edutainment LPs, you see.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

ElTipejoLoco posted:

So what happens if you dump LeRoach into the Fiji pipe or the sewer water? And what happened to that electric-chair-elevator easter egg you hinted at?

I ask the hard hitting questions about edutainment LPs, you see.

Fox won't let you pull the lever until the spy jail pipe is positioned.

also Oops

Chair Easter Egg

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Wow this game has a lot of "sneak past guard when they're looking away" puzzles. I never noticed that before.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Is the video quiet for anyone else?

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Chimera-gui posted:

Is the video quiet for anyone else?

I just checked, I forgot to up my audio but I still lowered the game's volume in the main video. I balanced it correctly in the extra video.

oops

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

"Creating false ID cards is something only secret agents can do, and then only when we're on a case"

Sounds like someone was afraid our furry protagonist might encourage underage drinking.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

mateo360 posted:

I just checked, I forgot to up my audio but I still lowered the game's volume in the main video. I balanced it correctly in the extra video.

oops

At least I know it wasn't something on my end, are you uploading a fixed version soon?

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
here is a fixed one

New version

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Video
Alternate Paths

Available on Steam

Also, Putt-Putt Enters the Race is now available on iOS and Amazon App Store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
Wait! Ice sitting on a table UNDER the sea? And the rudder moved the wrong way compared to how the wheel spun.
Yeah, yeah, I know expecting correctness from a children's game about talking fish but come on.

• Locked thread