Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

kadjule posted:

I certainly was not expecting to ever see Crumply Crumplestien again.

:nws:Unbelievable Tales:nws: which is somehow even more disgusting than Doc and Mharti.

Jesus loving Christ, this guy is completely insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

This episode was a bit flat to me. I liked it, and I haven't seen an episode of Rick and Morty that I haven't liked, but it doesn't hold up to the other episodes. I think I find the Amazon trope pretty played out. It seems to tread a lot of the same ground as that Futurama episode Amazon Women In The Mood. The jokes aren't exactly the same but it felt like this episode was doing something that lots of other cartoons have done, which is disappointing.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Rick seems like the kind of person who has seen way too much to really care about their own mortality. He's a massive alcoholic and has little regard for safety. I imagine the dude just doesn't care if or when he dies.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Sakarja posted:

Also I'm outraged that people are saying they didn't enjoy this episode as much as the last two. Why do you hate fun this thread/forum is the worst I'm no longer able to enjoy the show because of this thread the sky is falling etc.

The problem is up till now Rick and Morty has been fairly original, or turned tropes on their heads. This last episode seemed to be lifting directly from well-known source material and not exactly doing anything new with it. The Zardoz nods were cool but everything else seemed to be simple retreads of jokes everyone has heard for decades.

It wasn't bad or completely unfunny but it's not consistent with the rest of what has aired.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

All threads based around Harmon shows inevitably become like this.

WHYYYYYYYYYY :negative:

Because nerds. Really that's it. This happens in all the nerd-friendly TV shows. Look at a dumb show like True Blood and compare the level of discussion among fans to nerd friendlier stuff like this show, Game Of Thrones, Community, Breaking Bad. Rick and Morty isn't the smartest thing ever, but even being kind of a smart tv show in the wasteland of television is going to invite overanalysis from the fans, because the fans are neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerds.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Sakarja posted:

Next epiosde is supposed to be a doozy. Here, have a preview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQVbaTYGZXE

Starts ~30 seconds in

This looks like it'll be more of what I like about the show.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Even more than standards ***AND*** practices i think it also comes down to case-by-case judgement, and shows that don't have as much clout probably tend to get away with less.

Riot Bimbo fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Mar 14, 2014

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Funkmaster General posted:

This. Comparing anything censorship-related to South Park is dumb because South Park can do whatever the gently caress it wants. If Matt and Trey wanted a 30-minute episode in which every character walked around with a photorealistic boner sticking out of their pants and spoke only in "gently caress"s and "oval office"s, they could probably still get that on TV unedited.

Well they have their limits but they're in a position that they can constantly feel out and push the boundaries of what's acceptable to Comedy Central S&P. Rick & Morty has had a good start but we're only in the first season and they probably don't have that kind of working relationship with Adult Swim or Turner Broadcasting. Not yet anyway.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

zoux posted:

Harmon said in his AMA that whichever exec is in charge of his show is really good about going to bat for them with S&P.

It's just one more example about how weird America is with what can and can't be done on TV.

America gets less weird when you realize that once you eliminate the broadcast networks, it comes down to money. Ads and eyeballs pay the bills. Networks that cater to young adult male demos can get away with more obscene things. Censoring 'pussy' may have been an effort to not piss female viewers and feminist advocacy groups, just like channels like the History Channel and Discovery try to avoid the ire of Christian advocacy groups. They don't want complaints and they don't want boycotts of products.

It comes down to culture war bullshit affecting advertiser's bottom lines, which affects television's bottom lines. Nobody involved in cable television gives an iota of a gently caress about S&P beyond how it affects their bottom line. Money is the source of the weirdness, and money isn't that weird.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Ahahaha Morty is comoflauge.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I remember when the Community thread wasn't terrible either. I give it till next season for the weekly complaints to come out, and season three is where everyone will start complaining it's getting too weird.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

If the soviets had won rick and morty would be full sail ahead sans drama. :smith:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ecYoSvGO60

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Spaceballs is basically the worst thing Mel Brooks ever did.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

spaceballs felt like an aging Mel Brooks was thinking "The Star Wars! We have to do the Star Wars! That's the thing the kids want! That puts asses in seats!" and then he watched maybe 20 minutes of empire strikes back and he came out of it with Yogurt, pizza the hutt, and the schwartz. It's bad. Im glad he could turn it around and give us Robin Hood Men In Tights which was my go-to bored kid/preteen movie for years.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I just watched those episodes and yeah, like I already knew this, but Justin Roiland is a loving insane crazy person and the world is better for it.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I like a couple of seasons of community, mostly 3 and the yahoo one. Back when they were airing I was in love with the show all the way till season 4 when the badness of a harmonless community made me pretty critical of the whole series. Sucks how things can spoil in hindsight like that. Oh well. That's my cred for saying that there's nearly nothing in common between community and rick and morty. There's maybe two or three Season 3 community episodes that are surreal on a R&M level but Community was tailored to NBC and NBC demos and Adult swim is adult swim. The guiding philosophies of the people writing out the paychecks for these shows are entirely different.

Adult Swim mostly goes "yeah stoners will loving love this greenlight it and do whatever." and I think NBC is a little more controlling and thoughtful.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

MrAristocrates posted:

Don't bother them with this, they're all busy talking about watching Alison Brie sleep.

Allison Brie is hot and you're never going to stop people from appreciating that fact on the internet, lol.

But yeah everyone who wants to have a community discussion go over there. You may or may not like it, but I don't think it has much in common with R&M other than Dan Harmon being involved.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

China il, is not that good. The intro is bad and i care about nobody or nothing that happens

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I think season 2 is actually better than season 1, which i haven't been able to finish.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Doc and Mharti was insanely visceral and weird and graphic and it came together in a very disturbing, upsetting, 'punk-rock' avant garde kind of way. That is to say, kind of lovely, overtly explicit, and deliberately showing things that are supposed to upset a well-adjusted person.

So it makes perfect sense that it could ruin someone's enjoyment of Rick & Morty.

To be completely honest, I didn't believe it was going to work at all as an Adult Swim adaptation. Much as I enjoyed what I'd seen of Roiland, I couldn't believe any executive could have possibly seen those shorts and thought "this could be a hit!", i thought it was a drug-addled mistake, which sometimes works on adult swim but usually it doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The season 2 opener was kind of lacking, so I didn't have huge expectations this time around, but that was legitimately cool and fun stuff. This is a pretty strong start.

• Locked thread