Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I would find it irritating if it became the shows "thing" that they would do each episode, but I liked it as a concept for one episode. The only scene I didn't like was the first one with the corn people because it was a normal, not funny scene, but with corn people. I don't want to say "Family Guy", but gently caress, that one was definitely Family Guy levels of "funny".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

My only disappointment with this episode is that we didn't get to see Chairworld-Rick. There must have been a Chairworld-Rick, right?

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Fellbat posted:

Oh god, we are the daycare for Jerrys.

:psyduck:

Now I can't help but read every post in Chris Parnell's voice.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

There's actually already been a crossover between rick and morty and gravity falls, but it's not obvious at all unless you're really paying attention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F1MSiZVHX4

I like how for Stan opening the portal is his life's work, but for Rick it's something as simple and everyday as pressing a button on your TV remote.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

JT Jag posted:

Considering how absurdly similar they were, I wonder if Zeep Xanflorp was actually his universe's version of Rick. Given, his name wasn't Rick and he was voiced by Stephen Colbert, which are points against.

If Rick lived in a world where humans were instructed by an alien to step on a thing in order to produce energy and "siphon the waste" into a volcano, he would have immediately realized what's up as soon as he invented his own tiny universe.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Sometimes other people get disproportionally more invested in things I like, and it kinda bothers me. Am I experiencing that thing half-assedly? Will I extract more enjoyment if I engage with the thing more fully? Or will I cross the invisible line of "fandom" if I do so? Is the line absolute, or relative? Are some things more acceptable to be engaged with to a larger extend than with other things, and what kind of qualities define that?

But then I scroll past their walls of text and forget about it.

Rick and Morty is a good show with funny gags and smart plotlines :)

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I, too, would have appreciated the subtle urological gag of Tinkle, if she wasn't featured in the same episode as a character named Mr. Poopy Butthole.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Veryslightlymad posted:

You sometimes want to start a story in the middle so it's tense (or some other feeling) wire-to-wire. You cut out the beginning because the beginning doesn't fit the mood you want for the piece. You have to lovingly craft the relevant backstory by events that take place during the remainder of the story.

I think that Mad Max: Fury Road is a good example of this. It knows that it's elements are so simplistic (evil warlord, girls making their escape) that the audience can be trusted to put two and two together so it jumps straight to where it matters instead of putting us through the very obvious backstory.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Also, how could they hear the Screaming Sun if there was this huge swath of vacuum between it and the planet?

Horrible show, would not watch again.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Angrymantium posted:

On the topic of speculative content, we've had episodes with near infinite Mortys, Ricks, and Jerrys, how long until we see infinite Beth's?

Probably (hopefully) never. Whenever the show does an infinite version of a character it seems to try and point out how insignificant each individual is if there is actually an infinite number of them, and their own personal history and issues don't matter if there are a billion different possibilities. Beth on the other hand seems to be one of the grounding elements of the show, and treating her like that would take away any of Rick's humanity. I really can't explain this as well as I have it in my mind, but Rick caring for Beth, that one Beth, is the one aspect of the character that keeps him from becoming an unrelatable caricature, and "Infinite Beths", especially if it's treated how other Infinite X plots have been, would be too nihilistic for me to enjoy.

(Yes, I am still coming to terms with Rick abandoning Cronenberg World Beth, but at least she seemed happy)

Re: Cob World: The punchline is the fans trying to break down the joke. However, it can't beat the magnificence of Silicon Valley's first season's finale's Microwave Heater joke in the way it made goons tear at each other's throats about what the actual punchline was.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

QwertySanchez posted:

why am I even talking about [how to create actual poo poo]?

Because there is no new Rick and Morty for at least another year.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I showed my brother the pilot and he loved it. But maybe he is just an idiot with low standards.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

If you start people with the best episode, then the only way left for them is downhill.

The pilot is a litmus test for the show. There are definitely episodes that are way better than the pilot (all of them), but if you can't watch the pilot and say "yeah, that is a show I will probably enjoy seeing" then you will probably won't appreciate the rest and you are better off watching something else. Which is ok, because R&M is a special kind of show and I can't hold it against anyone who doesn't find the humor in stuffing things up people's butts in order to cross interdimensional border control.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Megaspel posted:

I don't know who is still interested by edgelord stuff like that with no substance that it can get so much funding.

Teenagers? I am willing to admit I would have gladly gobbled that poo poo up 20 years ago.

maybe even 10 years ago...

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

counterfeitsaint posted:

You may want to sit down for this, but all human beings, even the best of us, are hosed up in one way or another, and your goal to find the perfect person who never did a lovely thing is futile. You will also do lovely things. Sorry.

Dunno, Rick is pretty much perfect.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

The Council of Ricks proves that Ricks have some disposition towards order even in the face of an infinite, uncaring universe. It is just* the Rick the show focuses on who probably said "gently caress it, nothing matters". R&M's world is still one where if the most intelligent person met their's alternate universe version, the result would most likely be an alliance rather than a duel. Even if the alliance is not for the betterment of the multiverse, but for protecting it from mutually assured destruction.

*There are probably more nihilist Ricks out there, which is why they have a whole security force.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

It's just that he doesn't care about him as a son in law, he cares more about him as his little daughter's annoying pet dog.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Maybe it was just Harmon retconing their relationship because it turned out that if the show didn't have even a little heart like that it would be an unfun nihilistic wasteland.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Typical posted:

Well Goons, it sure has been a while. but I have returned to work on Season 3 of Rick and Morty.

Good. Now stop posting and go back to work.

Seriously though, great that you are working on this again!

Typical posted:

in addition to to its uncanny ability to wash your bowels out it also gives you the much needed strength to animate at 60 frames per second. (we have to accommodate for 4k TV's)

Does this mean that it's now double the required work, or is it just something you need to keep in mind while still animating at 25FPS? If you have to animate twice as much, is it just same technique but more effort, or does higher frame rate require different techniques than traditional animation?

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

quote:

Custom flooble cranks and gobble boxes replace traditional houses and hotels

Too bad there is nothing to replace bad game mechanics.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I rewatched the timeline-split episode (s02e01) with my brother last night, seeing Rick getting paranoid about some other timeline version of him plotting to kill him and then he starting to plot killing the other Rick first made me think that it would make a great concept for a Mafia game. Same with the Citadel of Ricks episode.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

captain innocuous posted:

I have a friend I recommended Rick and Morty to. Now he thinks I'm super cool. But now that I'm cool, what other shows do I recommend him to stay so cool?

Venture Bros?
Frisky Dingo?

I played my hand too soon. Help me SA forums, or he'll know I'm a joke.

What did he like about Rick and Morty?

Sci-Fi rigmarole? Futurama (Though he has probably watched it already)
Trope subversion? Venture Bros (For me it peaked in the third season, and was completely unwatchable by the sixth, but your mileage may vary)
Protagonist looks super confident but actually hates himself? Bojack Horseman
People being mean to Jerry, even when he doesn't deserve it: Archer

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Oh there's lots and lots of differences, but OPM is totally a Jerry.

If anything, Saitama is more like Rick than anyone else in R&M. They both represent the apex of power in their respective genres; Rick is the most intelligent person in a sci-fi universe, while Saitama is the strongest in an anime world. In fact, they are so much more powerful than anyone else, that any kind of conflict provides just a minor distraction that is immediately forgotten as they slide back into their empty lives. They balk at anyone trying to get close to them, and spend their time just escaping, either by living a sedentary lifestyle (Saitama), or indulging their addictions (Rick).

The shows are completely different though and I would never suggest OPM to someone as a follow up to R&M. Do watch it if you want to see a funny and loving deconstruction of the shonen genre that comes with a few strings attached, but don't expect to have your mind blown.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I can't even force myself to consider whether Mr. PB was parasite or not because I always get sidetracked and end up thinking of a trembling Beth repeatedly filling and downing a glass of wine.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Any animation made to pander and/or sell merchandise to nerds and kids will inevitably be just enough quality to not drive people away with disgust. Western animation in the 80's was saturated with this (mainly Hanna-Barbera shows), and even today you will find many low effort 3D productions aimed at children. Japanese animation today is the same, with the addition of shows aimed at man-children.

Some of it is good though. Like One Punch Man. Just don't watch it because someone in the Rick and Morty thread told you to because that's a silly suggestion. Watch it because you find a bald nerd making bug's heads explode with a single punch inherently funny.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

sticklefifer posted:

Nah let's just keep talking about last season. Hey guys remember that screaming sun, that was great.

Can someone please explain why they didn't want to stay on Everything-On-The-Cob Planet??? I didn't understand that scene. Was it because they would turn into on-the-cob people if they stayed there? If that's the case, then does it mean that the planet was residing in a separate dimension where everything is on the cob? But then, how could they go there in a normal spaceship, I thought only Rick's ship could travel between dimensions. Feels like there were more scenes there that were explaining this but they were cut. Are there any articles that go into more depth about Everything-On-The-Cob World? Seems like an important part in the R&M mythos, and the creator's silence on the matter is suspicious. Maybe they want to expand on the cob world in the third season.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

StringOfLetters posted:

If you really want a retro-explanation, it's because the cob proteins all over the environment would get into our uncob bodies and act like a prion infection, cobifying new proteins and making it so human bodies would basically stop doing anything right, internally. Nothing would be safe to eat, pollen in the air wouldn't be safe to breathe.

Why couldn't the writers just say it! I am not a goddamned cob-physicist for gently caress's sake!

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Couldn't you at least go out to some neighbors you have some at least tenuously friendly relationship with and give them some candy to give to your kid when it comes over? No one will say no to your face even if they hate your guts otherwise, and your kid gets sweets it can eat without becoming a target for bullying the next day.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Yeah, that was a weird reaction for Rick, but maybe he is going through an arc this season.

(Or maybe it's just part of that one joke)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Doubtful. Rick himself said that it was made up and could be made up on account of it being a fabrication inside the Shoney's.

But you know what was outside the Shoney's?

His wife leaving him and taking Beth with her.

That's actually very interesting because it parallels what happened to Jerry at the end of the episode.

• Locked thread