Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Liked the Pilot, interesting to see where it goes since you had fakeouts like the HS bully which was a pretty wild break from that cliche (literally thought I would see like a half season devotion to that guy)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Also dig the sci-fi aspect even though oddly enough I don't care for Dr Who

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Just finished ep. 2. I'm surprised they managed to cram two crazy plots into a single episode which means they must have so much ground to cover across the entire season

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Yeah with all the reference humor it could easily become lazy like Family guy but they really do a better job of weaving it into the actual plot instead of just dropping here andd dthere

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Yeah I thought it had kind of a weird resolution at the end after giant santa hobo explodes (that was delightfully twisted might I add). Probably because I was expecting blondie to eat it because that would be the GRRM thing to do. Seems like maybe they are setting it up for a later thing?

Enjoyed it though, I'll probably stick with the show. Seems like it might be a hard sell for your friends even by Community standards, but it'll just have to grown on people

"did we have a relationship with that guy?" definitely said at least once during King Kong

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Any word on ratings? I always assumed that Adult Swim ignored Nielsen ratings in favor of watching the number of funyon and dorito sales

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Really enjoyed that episode. How the hell did you call Morty? I mean I know in the beginning Rick was being supsicious but Rick is Rick.

Also, kind of a shame they blew up the Zygerians (or however you spell it). I kinda wanted to see them scam more people. I WANT MORE LORE DAMNIT

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Hope to see lots more Rick and Morty seasons, we need more good animation and with Archer also on Monday, that's my new show watching day

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jan 27, 2014

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Why

why did I have to watch Doc and Mharti :gonk:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

How are the ratings? I stopped subbing cable so I just watch from Youtube since that's the most direct way I can support it. Suprised AS is doing it though I imagine they don't do it for every sho. VERY VERY COOL OF ADULT SWIM and I encourage them to do this more often

Really enjoyed Rushed License Adventure and everything they've put out to promote the show. It's definitely one of those things the creator puts a lot of care into and really adds to the appeal

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jan 27, 2014

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Typical posted:

The ratings are good, like 1.5 million viewers usually. plus online viewership wich is good. they really need people to watch online / buy the youtube/itunes episodes

Yes there will be. I forgot to post about it.

ugh, my philosophy has never been to buy season passes online even though it's to support shows that are still gauging whether or not to renew for next season or even release on DVD/bluray in the first place, it's a terrible catch 22 and I see it happening to other shows like Gravity Falls

I'm already all over a disc purchase for season 1 assuming there isn't a sharp decline in quality and I would be amazed if it got that bad.

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jan 27, 2014

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Just watched it holy poo poo tumblr is gonna LOVE this show. Trigger warning Rick and Morty Jesus

CelticPredator posted:

Mmm, cool if I post a bit of Fan Art I did?

This is pretty awesome

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

kadjule posted:

I certainly was not expecting to ever see

ultramiraculous posted:

The whole post-credits scene was very Perry Bible Fellowship...just absurd in an incredibly dark fantasy way. "Remember him for the Jellybean he represents, not the Jellybean he was."
Yeah, I mean it was a dark kinda funny, on a superficial level it's just like "the jellybean he was that's so wacky!" and then you realize poo poo like this really does happen IRL, I mean look at loving Sandusky and all that poo poo at Penn State and how the football dregs all can't wait to get in line to suck off the dead coach's statue and it really goes into hyperabsurdity

quote:

Crumply Crumplestien again.

:nws:Unbelievable Tales:nws: which is somehow even more disgusting than Doc and Mharti.

:psyduck: whoever said this makes Doc and Mharti tame was spot on what the gently caress

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I'm sure they've grown as creatives since then. I mean he acknwoledged the 101 crowd didn't care for it and I mean that's your typical "so edgy!" types who find Amy Schumer or whatever comedian of the month in LA funny. You either say to yourself "these plebs don't get my vision!" over and over or you sharpen your poo poo

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Chairman Mao posted:

The Meeseeks plotline was hilarious, watching their optimism just drain over the course of the episode was amazing.

I'm constantly impressed by R&M being able to pack two parallel plotlines in a single episode, it doesn't feel rushed either, though I guess since the collective family outside of R&M aren't terribly in depth beyond their "this character wants this out of life" subplot. I was totally expecting the hostage situation to escalate really quickly or when it diffused, a gun would go off accidentally and hit someone in the head or the meseeks would kill someone for the gently caress of it. This show is that twisted I thought it would go there :stare:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

And it's funny they basically did a genie "be careful what you wish for" plotline without using actual genies

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Not to be a stickler Meseeks but...they didn't take 2 strokes off his game, his wife did

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Last Chance posted:

But the Meseeks caused his wife to help him take two strokes off.

I am a genie lawyer and yup, this checks out

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I still find it funny after the poptart and toaster deconstruction where Rick points out the entire absurdity behind the world building logic of it and then throws the guys in a giant staircase bar full of small staircases and ummm....yeah remind me again what the gently caress I saw?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Yeah he definitely went the "well you see dickwolves are wolves that violate humans sexually and are in no way turned off by interspecies relations and have no concept of concent" route

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

They weren't pre-industrial OKAY they were post-apocalyptic

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

dumpster17 posted:

And why is no one questioning the polaroids, which were arguably more high-tech than the zippo?

Alan Smithee posted:

They weren't pre-industrial OKAY they were post-apocalyptic

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Dr Christmas posted:

They were just very poor, like they lived in that world's equivalent of a third world country. Stuff from countries with higher standards of living still makes it there. :regd08:

I liked that that to make Summer popular, they somehow called a school assembly on a day's notice for no other reason that to explain how good of a friend this one specific student would be, and it totally worked.

They probably skipped all the other stuff like the pizza parties and the wet prom the meseeks talked the staff into allowing. Pulling people from lovely classes always helps too

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Well I see it more as Rick being territorial

only he may have his balls licked by Morty

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

can't wait til next week when frivolity returns

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jan 27, 2014

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

IM ALAN SMITHEE LOOK AT ME

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jan 27, 2014

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Heatvision and Jack was an awesome thing by Dan Harmon and you should all check it out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lWgXDOAJ5s

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jan 27, 2014

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

But theoretically he could just quit golf entirely and get the same result

I'M ALAN SMITHEE LOOK AT ME

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Welp, I'll be at Disneyland tomorrow but hopefully it'll be up by the time I get back. Fast becoming one of my favorite shows for sure though. The only thing stopping me from buying the season on youtube is I've always been wary about redundancies in ownership, but a season 1 box set I'm pretty much a guarantee

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Seriously though I don't think anyone posting here has had anything "bad" to say about the show, even after last week's...touchy subject matter. Give it some time once the awards start coming I guess

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jan 27, 2014

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

6 seasons and a DS game!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Seriously though this loving show. I was expecting them to resolve the potion part of the show within that narrative. As crazy and hosed as that was it would have been funny to see mobs constantly chasing him, this show doesn't do your usual vanilla zombie poo poo so that would have been interesting and then they went full hosed up with the body horror stuff and instead of returning everyone save for the people Jerry shotgunned, it just threw the baby out with the bathwater. This loving show does not care what you want to happen.

My only problem with the state of things is now we're going to constantly question if this universe is "canon" or not and this isn't even the drat inception episode!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A_Raving_Loon posted:

Don't Think About It.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Does Cronenberg even do body horror anymore? Last one was like Existenz and I still need to watch that

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Jerry is skinny Homer Griffin. And only once (getting fired) has things not worked out for him in the end relatively speaking. I enjoy the antics but yeah not exactly groundbreaking character

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

George posted:

We are now in true mad science territory. This show takes every philosophical extreme and shows the darkest part of the path.

Next episode: "What if hamburgers...eat people?"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

I kinda want my fan art becomes an episode. I never draw fan art for wish fulfillment...but I want Rick and Morty to take on an Alien-esq creature. I just want to see where they'd go with the concept. :v:

I feel like aliens in the xenomorph sense are pretty vanilla. They have to make you question the ethical/moral nature of Rick messing with them

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I guess mankind is the most dangerous game after all

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Sounds like someone's getting SHITCANNED

jk jk congrats to Rick and Morty staff!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Rick and Morty: Winner of the TVTropes' Tropiest TV Trophy 2014

• Locked thread