Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The mormons did some pretty hilarious bad ones about the history of Joseph Smith and the other guy to play at drive-ins, I guess either to give mormons an excuse for going to drive-ins or to get some converts before Sleeping Party Massacre or Master of the Flying Guillotine starts.

Some of them are included on those 100-movie dvd sets from Mill Creek. I saw them on this set with Christopher Lee as Dracula on the cover. Probably not what the mormons had in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I hope they cast Bull as the devil. He's already done the part like three times.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dante Logos posted:

Speaking of bringing him to his knees, does anyone catch some of the things that the daughter mentions about her professor? They seem to be on the sensual side, which is unusual to me. Like those scenes are designed to raise the ire of TRUE CHRISTIAN MEN TM who have daughters. I may be the deviant but even if the movie feels like a film grad's first film, that was probably done on purpose.

She's a woman, you see. That's how you measure their worth.

Also in what universe would a teenager find Old Harry Anderson attractive? He was never particularly attractive, but he's starting to show his age.

I wonder if they tricked him into appearing in the movie by saying that it would be pro-evolution and he'd be the witty, charming professor who reaches the brainwashed, exploited kid? Because in a Poe's law kind of deal he really comes off looking sane and kind and like a good influence.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

raditts posted:

I thought he was dead for some reason. Of course he's probably going to die soon now, since that seems to always happen within a few weeks of whenever I look up an actor and think "Huh, I didn't know he/she was still alive." Sorry guys :smith:

Nope: he's still kicking and working a lot. He was in a sci-fi channel original movie last year.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I'll never forget the episode where they accused liberals of being behind draconian drug laws and of distorting information about drugs.

Specifically, they did it by having a giant corporation make millions about lying to kids. Because if there's anything that liberals are known for, it's being tough on drugs and pro-business.

South Park is almost as bad an Penn and Teller, honestly.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

K. Waste posted:

I'm straining to remember when they 'tore apart Islam.' I'm also fairly certain that the episode where Stan's parents pay the actor to pretend to be his drug-addicted self from the future never makes any explicit reference to any kind of political ideology besides drug paranoia. Me thinks people are conflating the public persona of creators with the content of their programming again, which is unfortunate, as while South Park the show isn't much more nuanced than Matt and Trey, it has done a consistently good job of not doing what people constantly try to make it out as doing, which is being more open to mocking one side of the political spectrum than the other. This conveniently sidesteps actually having to engage with the (admittedly cynical) content of Matt and Trey's work, which is that these distinctions are arbitrary because both liberals and conservatives have stupid beliefs about the war on drugs/religion/language and iconography/etc.

From My Future Self N' Me, season 6, episode 16:

quote:

Director:So, everything is working out with your future actor? Your son seems to be responding.

Randy: I think he's pretty scared alright.

Sharon: It's just a little weird having people lying to our boy like this.

Director: Well, you know what us ultra-liberals say, when it comes to children and drugs, lies are OK. The ends justify the means. We'll take smoking, for instance. The truth is there's no hard evidence that second-hand smoke can kill but, we believe it's okay to lie about it as long as it gets people to stop smoking.

Sharon:Well that makes sense.

Director:So it is with everything here at Motivation Corp. It's okay for us to lie and tell kids that all marijuana supports terrorism. [a shot of a marijuana leaf superimposed over the burning World Trade Center] Or that... one pill of Ecstacy is gonna kill them. It's not necessarily true, but the ends justify the means.

Randy: Well I think when this is all over, our son is gonna thank us.

They literally put Bush-era neocon talking points into the mouth of a character describing himself as liberal. At the very moment John Ashcroft was going after potheads as though they supported terrorism.

This is a derail and I am sorry. But South Park is and always has been lazy poo poo. I am sorry.

I AM GRANDO fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 15, 2014

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Danger posted:

Yea, it's not like a hallmark of the democratic party has been to continue and precipitously expand Bush era neoliberal policies
There's a pretty big gap between South Park's angry suburban teen-level "everything is dumb! People who don't laugh at racism are stupid!" and critique of the way neoliberal ideas underwrite our political system. There are many ways in which republicans and democrats are exactly the same, but South Park isn't really smart enough to diagnose them, instead saying that anyone who cares about anything is a big loser. If Parker and Stone were literate enough to know who Chomsky was (and they do sometimes sound similar out of context), they would excoriate him for being yet another old hippie who cares too much. They would probably also put tits on him or have him be a pedophile.

Or do you think those fart-loving children of privilege have been warming up for a sustained marxist critique of the system that has made them millionaires?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Argue posted:

I remember watching Tribulation on Cinemax; it was the first time I'd ever even heard of the Rapture and I was baffled at who could believe something so wacko and why the movie described "every Christian" as believing in the Rapture (which was certainly not the case here in the predominantly Catholic Philippines). As I recall, the Christian rebels did their "rebellion" by driving around in a van broadcasting old episodes of the 700 Club with a satellite dish, which was pretty ridiculous to me. And as I recall, they win by revealing the bad guy's intentions to the world, which made no sense since to everyone on his side, it should already have been pretty clear anyway that he was evil incarnate.

It was Jack van Impe. Coincidentally, Jack bankrolled these movies and used his studio as the major set for them.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

LaughMyselfTo posted:

So how 'bout them Mormons?

I wish there was more, better LDS cinema. I could easily see a lot of their mythos translating well to film.

Battlestar Galactica

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Simplex posted:

A movie about the American Anglican church in the period during and immediately after the revolution could be really interesting I think.

I'm honestly kind of surprised that there is so much vitriol directed towards Catholics in this country when Anglicans seem a more natural target.

A lot of it is because of racism. There was a time when the only white people were English or French, and nobody was worried about French Catholics.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

K. Waste posted:

I don't know that it's "average churchy kid activities," but I had a similar response to Jesus Camp. Unlike Alexandra Pelosi's Friends of God and The Trials of Ted Haggard, it's not really that interested in the zealotry of its subjects, just in the fear that it inspires. The real master behind the film is minister Becky Fischer, whose leadership should be described as nothing short of modern. But the film doesn't emphasize this, the uncomfortable reflection that the same motifs and pantomimes of any given feel good public school speaker are not unique nor especially noble, that they are by their very nature abstract and malleable. Instead, it goes for the easier, reactionary emotion, the one where it's not actually necessary to understand your 'enemy' so that you can avoid interrogating your own relationship with indoctrination. This is epitomized by the intercutting of Ring of Fire host Mike Papantonio's cold sweat style of rebel rousing, treating Evangelicals like pod people. But Papantonio's flabbergasted liberal piety exists purely to emphasize that it's impossible to divorce the political from the personal, that there are pervasive and surviving political views that embrace intolerance as the same as tolerance and faith as the same as science. This betrays the cynicism of Jesus Camp: Ewing and Grady give Fisher's ministry credit by justifying it with a response. Their film rings hollow as a liberal Christian horror movie, because it throws the profound contradictions of spiritual pluralism back up into the face of consumers who want to watch the freaks but also want to feel like they're defending the rights of children. I love the part where Fisher basically

Mike Papantonio's role can't be understated. He's the essential point of identification, the galvanized, legalistic, spiritual pluralist who 'just can't,' the redundant, cynical confirmation of what we should already know: that Fisher is batshit. Except, oh, no, she's not, or, at least, not any more batshit then the liberal Christians who cherry pick the friendly stuff from the Bible and ignore the things they don't like. But if Jesus Camp fails in any regard it's in exposing the shared contradiction between both viewpoints. It's not brave enough to just let Fisher's zealotry speak for itself. If we did that, we might end up in an unfortunate situation where we realize... Oh, Fisher is a really compelling performer and the fervent emotion she encourages really does eclipse the relationship between people and contemporary, castrated religions. Friends of God is a great documentary because it makes you think, like the South Park episode about Mormonism, "poo poo, maybe these people have something here/maybe we all subscribe to our own 'social lies.'" The only defense you have is the ability to know, implicitly, that the punch is spiked.

I love the part where Fisher just straight up tells him 'indoctrination isn't bad, it's what everybody does,' because it's literally the truest statement in a film filled with lies.

It wouldn't hurt you to cite when you post somebody else's work:

http://letterboxd.com/kenny_waste/film/jesus-camp/

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Haha, did you seriously not notice the guy's name is Kenny Waste?

I was seriously not prepared for this, by the way.

There's a different name credited in the review.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

limeincoke posted:

Real question - is it plagiarism if it's your paper? I reused like, 10 papers towards the end of my degree. That's what happens when you have a major that's like, 2 semesters worth of classes spread out to make 4 years worth.

It seriously is. You are expected to cite yourself as you would anyone else, and you should see it all the time in the scholarship you read.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Does this count? Redlettermedia found a Japanese video called S.O.S., which had been produced by The Family, a Christian cult who apparently was trying to get recruits in Japan before the Aum Shinrikyo attack happened and the authorities cracked down. The cult was originally known as the Children of God, where Joaquin Phoenix grew up in and was responsible for some pretty terrible poo poo before they cleaned up their image in the last few decades. Some standard stuff, like a video advocating against abortion, disparaging technology, the teaching of evolution and more extreme stuff like barcodes being a mechanism for the Antichrist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceUSZBMeREY
The discussion of the video starts at about 26 minutes in.

They produced a version in English and Spanish as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RfU5r63AXY

Cindy Don't Go is still stuck in my head, along with the Japanese version of that anti-computer song. That Fleetwood Mac guy has a lot to answer for if he's not already poor and locked in a basement somewhere.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Gonna be funny how many people troll them with that unfortunate title.

I'm also a little afraid to guess what that description means by 'free-spirited woman', knowing these films....

The bondage parts will be exactly the same, but just actual torture to burn out her whorish, satan-inspired independence and make her an obedient, satisfied wife. After enough time in Room 101, she will truly love God with all her heart.

Except that was already the plot of that anti-abortion movie with Robert Loggia as the torturer who was also an angel.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Their siege mentality is an essential part of their identity. Fundamentalists spout that same poo poo even when they control every aspect of a culture or government. They need to believe in their own immanent destruction or else they lose control. Just look at the way cults behave, or North Korea.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The whole point of this thread is that fundamentalists have established their own parallel culture and media. They don't engage the fallen world: they make their own bubble and stay inside. Jerry Falwell said a few years before he died that his side lost the culture war. What he meant was that they were retreating back behind the walls of their own communities to have their own universities, businesses, and media.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

One of the things American conservatives are most passionate about is obedience to authority. Lock-step ideological purity is a foundational value for almost all of them, even if they don't seem that political. It's why so many of them vote to take rights away from gay people.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Italian dressing seems pretty decadent for a true Christian. He should be gulping down those Spicy Italians dry. God help him if he got the honey wheat buns.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

sbaldrick posted:

Because the Elvis estate would sue the gently caress out of them

Yeah, the same reason Bubba Ho-Tep dances around Bruce Campbell's identity so hard. They're all actually pretty lucky that Elvis created such a strong public persona with so many unique costumes and distinctive movements.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I just read the wiki on the last book and Jesus apparently crushes a dude's head with his foot as the dude is crawling away so that he can get some blood on his robes and satisfy a prophecy from Ezekiel. Jesus don't gently caress around after the rapture. gently caress your peace and mercy.

Also one of the characters changes his name from Buck to "Cameron." Subtle.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Uncle Wemus posted:

How come evangelicals hate the UN?

Stops them from violating the rights of women, muslims, children, workers, and gays. Also probably for the same reason they love Israel: end-times prophecy.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Cythereal posted:

There's a certain strain of evangelical (not all, but those that believe this make the news and those that don't... don't) that believes that a "one world order" is foretold in the book of Revelation as a necessary precursor to the end times and have latched onto the UN as that herald of apocalypse, and therefore oppose it. Same reason they oppose anything that smacks of a national ID system or anything like that: the mark of the Beast.

It's complete batshit nonsense, and I say this as a Protestant Christian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lknW2mzXMMY

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Christians invented Halloween, like they did with Easter and Christmas and all that poo poo. It's some garbage about souls being saved, but with pagan local flavor where people have fun but suddenly the local gods are deadly loving demons out for your soul instead of magical people who just like to drink and fight and have sex.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

It is here

Old Fashioned,the christian movie that is being released on valentines day as a response to 50 Shades of Gray

Now comes the trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFO-RmMv6T8

It would be great if this is actually secretly about the Christian Discipline movement.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Me too. If it's not, why "respond" to 50 Shades except to say that spanking can be wholesome?

I'm still a little sad that King of the Hill didn't last long enough to do an episode about it. I can just see it now: Hank and Peggy meet a nice couple at church and become friends. Then they get invited over for bible study after the husband misunderstands Hank's enthusiasm for "discipline" (he of course means the protestant work ethic necessary to repair his riding lawnmower), and right at the first act break they walk into the living room, see the couple decked out in Christian bondage gear and cut to commercial right as Hank lets out the first "bwaugh!"

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

jodai posted:

Oh man isn't that the one where they behead Christians in a guillotine? I watched that at my church several times and with my parents and their friends a couple times when I was a kid. I remember thinking it was cool but it's very hazy. I need to find a copy.

The guillotine one was posted earlier in the thread, along with one where filthy communists stab a kid in the ears with pencils to make him deaf and then he vomits. I guess that has something to do with the bible.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Did you know the History Channel made one of these and airs it on Saturday nights? It's found-footage to make it fresh for the new century. I don't know who's playing the part of the commies this time around. They have an FAQ about it:

http://www.history.com/shows/revelation-the-end-of-days/articles/revelation-the-end-of-days-faq

I guess they made it because they're owned by Moonies? I would have expected a UFO-themed movie first, really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9suANftwAk

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Cap quit his job to do movie reviews full-time because he believed God would provide, but nobody has donated any money to him since. The latest "new release" on his site is Spider-Man 3.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

DoombatINC posted:

He'd probably do well with a GodFundMe

He could even take donations through Papal

Actually, fundamentalist Protestants like Cap don't like Catholics very much at all and would never take money from them.

and it would make more sense with regular monthly expenses to do a Praytreon anyway

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

JediTalentAgent posted:

I saw reviews for Avengers and Captain America 1, though. So he's been active at least up through 2012, I guess.

His reviews were always sort of amazing and I tried one time to figure out a film that would hit his 100 perfect clean score. Turned out it was Mary Poppins.

http://www.capalert.com/capreports/marypop/marypop.htm

It's sort of interesting that in a lot of films ANY sort of display of people doing incredible things with superpowers is deemed some sort of offense to God, but excused is Mary Poppins. Even the 'magic' is excused on account of "Well, she's not a WITCH!" It's been a while since I've seen it, but there's got to be something in there worthy of a point or two deduction...

Meanwhile, The Little Vampire had points taken off for Wanton Violence/Crime for: "two kids sitting atop an aloft blimp"

I remember that he loves original Star Trek, even though probably 30% of it is Captain Kirk being smug about killing or discrediting somebody's god. I wonder if he saw the one with the Roman planet where the twist at the end is that Jesus is real and just shows up on different planets sometimes. He also says The Next Generation ruined Star Trek because the character of Riker was too promiscuous. Not like Captain Kirk, you see.

Anyway, the guy's a huge hypocrite and I can believe that he easily dismisses Mary Poppins' magic and willful undermining of Mr. Banks' authority while blasting, say, Spider-Man for unnatural and ungodly powers.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

DStecks posted:

lol at the people itt unironically saying that "a movie that advances a conservative agenda cannot be any good", when that exact sentiment reversed politically is what leads to the movies in this thread.

How so? Do you mean that Old Fashioned and Alongside Night are going to radicalize someone into making communist propaganda films structured around a bricklayer being pressured into reading Marx and building bombs in the basement?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

DStecks posted:

I literally cannot parse what you're saying, so let me drop out of GBS mode to explain that what I meant is that these movies exist to appeal to people who can't tolerate movies with what they view as liberal agendas. I know some of them, and they literally consider the film's "moral correctness" as the primary, or even only, measure of its quality; so saying that a right-wing movie can never be good is the precise thing these people are saying, just swap out the word left for right.

Right, but for different reasons. When people say that conservative movies like that are bad, they're assessing the quality of the art, which is what makes regular movies good. It's not only ideological to laugh at people who don't know how to make movies in the same way that it's ideological to say that God's Not Dead is the only good movie made in the last five years because god wins and women know their place.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Isaac Horowitz, eh? I wonder what that could possibly suggest.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

A big part of conservative philosophy going back to enlightenment resistance to popular democracy and the collapse of an aristocratic, land-based economy has been the sense that one is fighting a losing battle against the hordes of modernity. Dirty Harry wants to bring back the sane world of the Eisenhower era, but nobody else talks sense in his fallen modern world.

They all think they're Gandalf or Obi Wan or whatever.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

How do you feel about Rambo?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Xibanya posted:

I liked "The Prince of Egypt" and it had both!

I feel like biblical literalism is not as much of a problem if you're using it to get an interesting plot and setting for your movie rather than trying to justify the death penalty for mixing wool and flax. God's Not Dead is an example of chain-e-mail literalism in that sense, I guess.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

raditts posted:

I'm sorry, what?

That sounds like a decidedly pre-Civil-Rights-Era motion picture.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Cognac McCarthy posted:

It's not strictly the same as the Christian films we talk about in this thread, but it's still pretty hilarious:

Deception of a Generation, an expose on the evil of Satanic children's toys and cartoons from the 1980s. The Satanic Panic is a fascinating thing, and I don't think there's a whiter person than Phil Phillips, who comes on screen for the first time around 3 minutes in.

This is the pro-est click. I love that they can't tell the difference between the heroes and villains in any of these kids' shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Was that Carman asking us to trib with him?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKRV6Mpm6cw

I love the 70s Italian satan who can make people's clothes fly off like Scott Baio in Zapped.

• Locked thread