Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Davros1 posted:

I-I-I . . . I can't even begin to comprehend the type of message it's trying to convey when there's a DINOSAUR MAN on the cover.

Kids love dinosaurs. If a scientist says the earth is billions of years old and the dinosaur laughs at him and his beard and says he's 6000 years old, and he should know, who is a kid going to believe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Casimir Radon posted:

You get a pretty good glimpse of how those kind of families operate in Jesus Camp, from what I remember they showed the kids watching a lot of homeschooling poo poo and being really excited about it. The main family they profiled also had their massive copy of Lord of the Rings taking up a lot of space in the middle of their dinner table which makes me think it was intentionally staged their for some reason.

If there's two things homeschooled kids loving love it's LOTR and Narnia.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Casimir Radon posted:

The movies must be a pretty schizophrenic experience for them. Ian Mckellen is gay, and Disney loves them queers.

A lot of Christians understand that actors aren't the people they play. There's also a lot of diversity in the strains of whack-a-doodle beliefs amongst homeschoolers (but there's always some) and LOTR and Narnia are things that even parents who won't kids read Harry Potter will still permit, so they create a kind of shared acceptable degree of pop culture for homeschool kids who exist at different states of cultural filtering.

Weirdly enough, Douglas Adams is pretty popular with a lot of homeschool kids.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Bibleman is the lamest superhero ever. He just tries to stop kids from gossiping or fighting and has the worst villains. They always tried to be cartoony and lightly meta about how goofy the bad guys were but really it's just poo poo.

Sometimes I like to daydream about interesting ways to launch a Bibleman reboot that would be lightly subversive, and kind of Hijack an IP.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Casimir Radon posted:

I'm kind of surprised how competent the dinosaur man is done. Buddy Davis is apparently a taxidermist who made a bunch of the Creation Museum's dinosaurs, so that's probably why. Talk about misusing your talents.

The Creation Museum looks like it has a really nice facility, I wish they'd go bankrupt so something nice could be put in there.

I had the fortune of visiting it once with a friend. It's genuinely impressive. If you're ever in the area please don't let anything stop you form seeing it. It's wonderful and terrifying. Like the Hagia Sophia of the religious right.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Grey Fox V2 posted:

They lost me at the part where they said dinosaurs went extinct because I touch myself at night.

It isn't god's fault that you can't handle the truth of his Word.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

4 Catholic Kidz Only
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IHFpnQATjE
There were a whole bunch of these Catholic Specific ones about saints n poo poo. This one has Tress McNeille voicing the lead.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

I've seen Jesus Christ Superstar do the resurrection on stage before, at the end, when they performed Superstar. It's a pretty good compromise because for Christians you can have your resurrection, but for everyone else you get Judas basically heckling the resurrected Jesus, but he's ok cause he's resurrected. It changes the tone a lot, but it actually works really well.

Also Robocop is the best movie about the historical Jesus.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Jack Gladney posted:

Or do you think those fart-loving children of privilege have been warming up for a sustained marxist critique of the system that has made them millionaires?

Why? Do you think they should? Because that would be terrible and unfunny. In the world of comedy, a fart joke is infinitely more valuable than a nuanced subtle critique.

also "Fart loving children of privilege" is my new band.

Also it's funny you think even though they're essentially right about liberals carrying on Right Wing policies, but it's not cool because they aren't right for the reasons you want them to be right for.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

K. Waste posted:

American Protestantism has a long history of mediated depictions of Catholicism as being a sinful, idolatrous, wacko outfit. I believe the Catholic Church is even explicitly connected with the anti-Christ in one of these apocalyptic novel series, though I'm confounded to remember which one.

The Left Behind series features The Pope as the Antichrist's right hand man and leader of the One World Unity Mystery Balabon Illumination Station New World Order Mecha Religion.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

I can't remember if it's been mentioned here, but it bears another mention. There's a great documentary about Jack Chick, and more specifically Chick tracts that cam eout not long ago. It's called God's Cartoonist. It isn't hard to find. It gives an excellent overview of his style, history,a nd what little is known about Jack himself, and features the first onscreen interview with Fred Carter, the guy who does the more realistic (and occasionally deliciously lurid)art in the tracts, as opposed to Chick's more cartoon-ey style.

It has some good interviews with Ivan Stang and Hal Robbins of the Church of the Subgenius along with some other folks, and in a way I like embraces Chich as the freaked out weirdo outsider artist he is, and the most widely published comic book artist in the world. The people behind it were into the good ol' underground comic scene, and it largely views him through that lens instead of just pontificating about his backward-rear end morals and bigotry, because everyone with half a brain knows all that poo poo already.

Not directly related to Christianity, but does anyone know any good movies about Scientology or L. Ron Hubbard apart from the Master? Id like something that focusses less on "Oh Scilons are dopey" because that's all easy to find, but Hubbard was just such a ridiculous cartoon of a man, and The Master really was almost perfect but I want more like that.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Cathy Don't Go is a stone cold classic and the best song about laser scanner paranoia and I've been meaning to cover it for a few months and now RLM goes and finds this poo poo so now I feel more pressured.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

WickedHate posted:

Just dropping in to say that I watched that McGee and Me stuff that was mentioned a bit in the first few pages. Notable because it was shown in school, and this was around 2003 or so, but this is a small southern town so I guess that's how they managed it.

It was shown in Christian schools much earlier than that. I must have first seen it
in 93 or 94.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

I really i ironically loved Sorbos performance. He's such a delightfully endearingly smarmy rear end in a top hat and in the end God proves himself to be every bit the creepy rear end in a top hat he hated him for being.

Though I just say my current favorite Xian flick is a rapture picture from 1981 called Years of the Beast which has a pretty cool Red Dawn flavor of focussing on a small group of post-rapture survivors and is also basically the source most ripped off for the Left Behind stories as far as I can tell from my amateur interest in the history of Xian media with a focus in rapture fiction

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

I'll just leave this here
https://youtu.be/KQWUEJh-SVk

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Ten commandments and Prince of Egypt are Jewish movies, and no one ever said the jews were bad at movies.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Fun Fact: God Is Not Dead was originally written from a more catholic POV but got watered down by evangelicals. Still poo poo, but it actually came form a different direction and experienced the Xian film equivalent of studio meddling.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

If Sorbo's character wore a fedora, wasn't handsome and was less articulate he'd be a pretty realistic depiction of the average antitheist on the internet.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

LORD OF BUTT posted:

:cripes:

dude can't possibly need money that badly, the residual checks from all the poo poo he's done have to be pretty huge (seriously jesus loving christ go look at his filmography, he's basically the Asian "that guy"), does he just hate himself that much?

Actors have a literally bottomless unfillable need for money and attention.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Also hard up for some garbage Jesus cinema tonight, but I've seen almost everything in this thread. Someone hook me up with some real bad poo poo, ideally maybe that's condescending towards women and has a token already saved black guy.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Oi I checked out Left Behind on Netflix and loving :laffo: that they basically only adapt the first chapter of the first book. Okay so I saw this too in God's Not Dead, but has anyone noticed the weird depiction Christian movies tend to give Muslims nowadays, like "Oh it's admirable that these brown heathens are super devout and religious but don't forget that they don't worship the right god :downs:"? I swear this is the most condescending a "positive" depiction can get.
Yeah the worst part of the left Behind movies is how they always end right when I start to get half interested in the plot.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

BuckarooBanzai posted:

What are you talking about 90 minutes of five idiots in a plane talking about nothing was fascinating.

sheeeeeit I forgot about the new left behind movie. Watching it now. It's a movie alright. It's burying its Christianity as much as possible so far and just being a lame disaster picture, and Nic Cage's performance is impressively understated and almost naturalistic, which is hilarious considering this project seems custom made to get him to do some weird poo poo in front of a camera.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Stopped watching because it was the most boring goddamn movie ever and had zero bulldada appeal.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

AGirlWonder posted:

My roommate and I are watching the Kirk Cameron Left Behind. It's not very good. The characters keep referring to "the Arabs" and "the Jews" as monolithic groups.

The pastor knocked over a four-foot cross with a single baseball. It's clearly particle board.

And yet it's still worlds more entertaining than the new one

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Decided to watch the Revelation Road on thread's advioce and it looked sort of rough, for a minute I was worried my old pal David A.R. White might not show up, but then he did because he apparently doesn't sleep and is just a homeless man who wanders around from Christian film set to Christian film set all day every day.

Mother fucker is prolific!

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Revelation Road is like, ALMOST sort of cool. It's really, really trying it's precious little heart out trying to be a cool badass christian movie and not be the regular boring old bible pic, and it's just constantly teetering on the edge of engaging mroe than this genre ever does.

Also what is Ray Wise's loving deal? He killed Laura Palmer and seems ot split his time now between Christian movies and Tim & Eric. It's really strange to see the Shrim man preaching about Christ instead of the healing power of young boys shits.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

I might just be reallys toned, but a little over halfway into revelation road 2 and honestly, this is probably the best Xian movie I've ever seen. it gets needlessly preahy sometimes, but it's shot nicely enough. the first one suffered from the fact that the rapture happened in the last 10 minutes, and really you can almsot skip it but you'd miss Ray Wise.

The White's bootleg Jesus-ey supersoldier wandering the psot rapture wasteleand isn't anything fancy but it's ok enough. The film makers are actually doing a lot to try to flesh out the biker antagonists. It's actually half decent storytelling. It's like an above average TV movie with occasional bizarre talk of Jesus.

tbh I'm a little let down it's so competent because I was coming for badness and bulldada.

So has everyone else liked David A.R. White on Facebook yet? We sure watch enough films he's in.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Our old pal and patron Actor fo this Thread David A.R. White is way too pretty to play a grizzled old Vietnam vet.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Mods plz change thread title to Christian Movie Megathread: David A.R. White Fanchat

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Grizzled DARW (Dar Dubs if you will) is his best form!

I also enjoyed Mad Max: Revelation Road

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

He does a fine grizzly dad, but I don't buy him as grizzly gramps.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Made a tweet that Ray Wise should get Tim and Eric to do something with David A. R. White. David A. R. White favorited it.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

ZDar Fan posted:

He did not. At the end of the movie, he gets hit by a car, and makes a last-minute conversion to Christianity. Then the two preachers who helped him make said conversion say "God is good" as Sorbo's freshly dead corpse lies right in front of them on the street.

That part was awesome.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Jack Gladney posted:

He said that if you believe in witches, then it is moral to burn the people you believe are witches.

I can't find a full phone quotable version and Lewis was a fucker but you're reallly grossly misrepresenting what he was talking about in the passage in question which was about how people outgrow old ideas when they find new evidence. Basically if there actually are people going around making pacts with Satan and destroying crops with black magick then yeah that's criminal. We don't burn witches though, because we know there aren't witches.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Jack Gladney posted:

I apologize if I took him out of context. I get a little reckless sometimes.

quote:

Three hundred years ago people in England were putting witches to death. Was that what you call the 'Rule of Human Nature or Right Conduct?’ But surely the reason we do not execute witches is that we do not believe there are such things. If we did—if we really thought that there were people going about who had sold themselves to the devil and received supernatural powers from him in return and were using these powers to kill their neighbours or drive them mad or bring bad weather—surely we would all agree that if anyone deserved the death penalty, then these filthy quislings did? There is no difference of moral principle here: the difference is simply about matter of fact. It may be a great advance in knowledge not to believe in witches: there is no moral advance in not executing them when you do not think they are there. You would not call a man humane for ceasing to set mousetraps if he did so because he believed there were no mice in the house.”

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Sleeveless posted:

Ah, so CS Lewis said that burning witches is moral in the same way that Andrea Dworkin said that all sex is rape. That is, as a thought exercise or rhetorical argument that people looking for ammunition against them present without context to make it look like a direct and uncritical statement.

That's an astute comparison, though people tend to trot out Dworkins more than Lewis. Lewis is pretty fondly viewed even among liberal Christians. This is obviously because of Narnia and, to a lesser degree the Screwyape Letters, which is still a fun read. It's hard to tag on it for being ham handed about religiosity, and it's inspired a lot of poo poo imitators amongst people who aren't as good writers, but I think it's probably the origin of depictions of a less sinister, more bureaucratic Hell. It was probably quite a thing when it was shiny and new and I can't think of any other books of Christian rhetoric that are as good a read even for an atheist.

But I haven't ever finished Chesterton's Everlasting Man. Man Who Was Thursday is dope though b

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

Lewis wrote a lot more than that on Christianity, both in fictional allegories and theological writing. Narnia and Screwtape are his best known works, but his body of work is much larger.

Right. I just named the ones msot people actually know/care about. Mere Xianity is a runner up.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

computer parts posted:

Dead Poets' Society is a strange choice if you're in a conformist culture.

It's socially acceptable non-conformity

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Tolkien certainly though of it as a christian allegory.

No he didn't. It reflects his view of morality and Middle Eart has a Christian inspired cosmology but it's not an allegory. It's a Christianity's pan-European pagan mythology but not Al allegory. There are a lot of allegorical aspects but they aren't in any way coherent and most relate to super weapons and industrialized warfare.

Narnia on the other hand is straight up allegory. Allan is Jesus and The Last Battle is the best depiction of the catholic apocalypse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Right, not allegory, but still deeply rooted in his christian morality. I mispoke.

No worries I sperged. Tolkien was all about how much he hates allegory but he still did it and his self awareness glossed over it but he didn't do it there.

• Locked thread