Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I caught Tribulation on TV once, and it was actually the first time I ever learned about the Rapture (growing up in a predominantly Catholic country, we thankfully didn't get a lot of rapture-folk or creationists). I thought it was a hilarious misinterpretation of the Bible since someone in the movie says "every Christian believes in this", and I, at the time Catholic, certainly did not, but after spending a lot of time on the internet, I realized how wrong I was. D:

Anyway, the movie was pretty funny to me back then, because I didn't watch it expecting a Christian propaganda film. It was a movie about how some Satan guy had taken over the world, and the resistance's plan of rebellion was literally driving around in a van broadcasting old episodes of (what I think was) The 700 Club. There was a lot of weird stuff too, like people being forced into a VR machine where they had to accept Satan or stick with Jesus, and if you chose Satan, you'd get branded with a 666 and automagically turn evil.

Infamous Sphere posted:

Yeah, it was definitely Superbook - there was a bible that sent the kids back in time to the biblical days. I remember them having to get to grips with biblical technology, etc.

I loved Superbook and Flying House as a kid, and I was so pissed that Jesus seemed to be completely clueless that they were time travellers. I THOUGHT YOU WERE GOD, JESUS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I liked how their college level biology professor seemed to be trying to put on a Bill Nye style edutainment routine.

Maybe at the the end of each of the films (Heaven is For Real, God's Not Dead, Matter of Faith), they can all be recruited into some kind of Christian Avengers team to take on gay marriage.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I remember watching Tribulation on Cinemax; it was the first time I'd ever even heard of the Rapture and I was baffled at who could believe something so wacko and why the movie described "every Christian" as believing in the Rapture (which was certainly not the case here in the predominantly Catholic Philippines). As I recall, the Christian rebels did their "rebellion" by driving around in a van broadcasting old episodes of the 700 Club with a satellite dish, which was pretty ridiculous to me. And as I recall, they win by revealing the bad guy's intentions to the world, which made no sense since to everyone on his side, it should already have been pretty clear anyway that he was evil incarnate.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

It's also available to watch for free on the company's official Youtube page. This is apparently a cut version but it's still like 50 minutes, and it already covers the entire tract.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

It's an official adaptation of a totally sincere Chick tract (they actually got his permission and licensed it or whatever). However, the people who adapted it are... shall we say, less than sincere.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Ensign_Ricky posted:

So uh...THIS is a thing that's happening apparently...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI8LYSAUZCU

Oh man, that gang of bullies who can be immediately identified because every single one of them is wearing a white cap backwards so you know they're rebels.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Guy Mann posted:

Apparently even Christian movies are getting in on the post-credit sequel bait stinger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPaYbm7kQdQ

I hope it turns out to be a shared universe with Left Behind and/or Tribulations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Jack Gladney posted:

There's that Jack Van Impe-produced one where it's after the rapture and true believers make a pirate television station to show tapes of Jack Van Impe's show to spread the gospels. That's probably not it, but it was mostly filmed in people's houses and in the Jack Van Impe studio and editing bay. It was probably pre-internet, actually.

This is Tribulation with Gary Busey and it was the first time I learned about the Rapture; I was still Catholicish at the time and actually thought the movie was some ghastly caricature of Christianity made by people who weren't Christian, since early on in the movie a character says "it's called The Rapture and every Christian in the world believes it".

They defeat Satan at the end by tricking him into talking on camera about how evil he is.

• Locked thread