Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Haha, did you seriously not notice the guy's name is Kenny Waste?

That K could stand for anything! Kevin or Katie or Ktulu or just anything!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Danger posted:

It's been reported to the student conduct office, so don't worry. He should be meeting with the professor late this week and will likely receive an F for the semester.

If you fail CineD do you have to repeat it?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

LloydDobler posted:

It's like the ban on pork and shrimp. Clearly they figured out that they didn't know how to prepare these things well enough to keep from getting sick, so they write a law for the generally-illiterate populace that's like "god says don't eat pork". Then centuries go by and we learn about bacteria and parasites and how to properly deal with them. But without any real context, people still think that god gives a poo poo what you eat.

This logic doesn't follow because despite our modern Western food compunctions, which can't be said to be uninfluenced by the kashrut, there isn't any evidence that prohibited foods are more dangerous than allowed foods. There are a lot more things there than just pork and shrimp (which you can generally eat raw). It seems, if anything, more ridiculous that the Jews alone couldn't figure out how to prepare these things without getting sick (cook them a little more) when millions of other people all over the world were happily eating pork and shrimp all the time, and pork was the mainstay meat of a region that at some points may have housed the majority of all the people on the Earth (premodern China). Why didn't other societies have these rules? Were they too stupid? As stupid as the "generally-illiterate" populace who somehow didn't notice they kept getting sick when they ate pig? Far more plausible, in my mind, are explanations that don't condescend to premodern peoples, like Wenham's social boundary explanation or either Douglas's early explanation in Purity and Danger that forbidden animals are liminal, category blending, and therefore dirty, or even her later and more esoteric altar-body complex explanation.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

K. Waste posted:

A communist atheist homosexual already made the best Jesus movie ever but it still had a bunch of miracle stuff.

At one time Paul verhoeven was tryna make a non-magic Jesus movie, but that's clearly never happening.

Speaking of which, what did Pasolini mean when he called the said he was ashamed of the miracle scenes and compared them to Pietism? My knowledge of Pietism is not that deep and I can't draw the connection.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Kangra posted:

The translation you want to pick varies on what you need it for. The NIV is a translation by committee, and feels like it (not in a good way like the Septuagint, either), but it is probably the most modern with the widest readership, at least among Protestants. The NASB (New American Standard Bible), originally from the 1960s, is well-regarded for study, since it's a quite literal version, but it's not terribly readable. There is the 'New King James Version' that's pretty popular with those who are looking for modernized English but still like the KJV. The English Standard Version is somewhat less popular than the NIV, but I think it's a bit more consistent (it's based on the Revised Standard Version of the mid-20th Century). Other ones that might be useful are the New Living Translation (a fairly interpretative translation) and the Amplified Bible (which is like having extensive translator's notes ).

You can see the vast array of just about all the English versions for a particular verse at the Bible Gateway.

English Standard is the Oxford Study Bible, right? I'm no expert but when my wife was in grad school that seemed like the go to for Religious Studies departments.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Animal-Mother posted:

A lot of ex-Muslims are appreciative of Hitchens' strong criticism of Islam.

Oh good point, just like how I learned you're an unredeemable dick by talking exclusively to your ex girlfriends. Pretty sure I got a reasonable and unbiased perspective on that. Sorry about your bad sex having and selfish attitude.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The media (which I'll take to mean the major news networks) does not skew left of the general public. Just the opposite - the overall population is strongly supportive of the social safety net, liberalized drug and marriage laws, and tax increases at higher brackets. Socially conservative christians perceive themselves as a threatened minority because they are, and increasingly so. They're just a fairly large and well energized minority.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

DStecks posted:

Watch the Trump Supreme Court gut copyright law in the name of watching bleeped movies

Net gain IMO but I promise they love the money from ip factories like Disney and American pharmaceutical and biotech firms much more than they love Baby Jesus and his scandalized sensibilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Max22 posted:

Hey folks, help me out: about a year ago this thread recommended an ultra-low budget Christian dystopia on Netflix where Christianity has been made illegal. The main character is a Breen-esque hacker who ends the movie by e-mailing the Bible to everyone in the world. Nearly the whole thing was shot in people's church group living rooms. Anybody remember the title of this one?

Evangelical remake of The Matrix on a 50 dollar budget sounds great.

• Locked thread