Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2103281/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_9-3Fj3ZdI - Teaser Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sHMCRaS3ao - Full Length Trailer

Some set pics

Release - July 11, 2014

Starring - Gary Oldman, Andy Serkis, Jason Clarke, Keri Russell, Kodi Smit-McPhee, Judy Greer

Director - Matt Reeves (Cloverfield, Let Me In, Untitled Dawn of the Planet of the Apes sequel )

Writers - Scott Burns (Bourne Ultimatum, Contagion), Mark Bomback (Total Recall, The Wolverine)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh0KAjjJryw - Comicon Panel

http://www.simianflu.com/us/#!/the-simian-flu-and-you - Viral marketing

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is the sequel to the surprisingly good and financially successful Rise of the Planet of the Apes. It takes place eight years after the virus from Rise has ravaged humanity leaving the apes, led by Caesar (Andy Serkis), the dominant species on Earth. A band of survivors including Gary Oldman and Jason Clarke struggle among themselves to decide if they can co-exist with the apes or to make one last-or maybe not depending on how well this does- not so last stand to take Earth back for humanity.

EDIT: Early review are killing it on Metacritic as of 7/3

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/dawn-of-the-planet-of-the-apes

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jul 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
The first movie really went out of its way to make references to the Icarus mission. I would love to see that explored, but it's likely just a nod to the original series.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Boomerjinks posted:

The first movie really went out of its way to make references to the Icarus mission. I would love to see that explored, but it's likely just a nod to the original series.
If they did a third film, I could see them going through with something like that. It should be worth noting that Rupet Wyatt did not direct this one and there are two additional writers credited on this one.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Don't forget that Matt Reeves, director of Cloverfield and Let Me In, is directing this movie.

I only hope that a reference to "ape-mixing" is made in this movie, to drive the metaphor in.

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!

Boomerjinks posted:

I really doubt that the Icarus mission was just a nod or an "easter egg". It was mentioned two times - when the mission was launched and during the third act when the spaceship gets lost in space somewhere. It has to lead to something in Dawn of the Apes or the next sequel.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Attention Horse posted:

I really doubt that the Icarus mission was just a nod or an "easter egg". It was mentioned two times - when the mission was launched and during the third act when the spaceship gets lost in space somewhere. It has to lead to something in Dawn of the Apes or the next sequel.

I don't think they can afford to directly lead into an equivalent to or a remake of Planet of the Apes, I think it's just the inevitable future that these films are building towards but won't directly address or depict.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Doesn't the Icarus mission unleash the pandemic?

Corek posted:

Don't forget that Matt Reeves, director of Cloverfield and Let Me In, is directing this movie.

I only hope that a reference to "ape-mixing" is made in this movie, to drive the metaphor in.

Definitely made me sit up and pay attention.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I've never seen the originals, but apes are some of my favorite animals and I loved Rise. I think the original was really good for being both a reboot and a prequel.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
At least watch the first.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Doesn't the Icarus mission unleash the pandemic?

In the old version, or the new one?

I think the Icarus missions and whatever happened in Gen-Sys labs was unrelated.

In the old one, I remember some sort of virus/sickness appeared, killing all domestic pets like cats and dogs.

Wonderful Bread
Nov 11, 2013
The trailer for this movie was done ridiculously well. Rise was good (as long as there weren't humans on the screen) but this trailer, as well as the change in directors/additional writers, significantly raised my expectations for what this film could end up doing.

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.
In the original novel isn't the ape planet fully advanced? Driving cars, broadcast media, etc. Sounds like a possible third film might be the closest to the original source material yet considering humanity has died out due to disease and not nuclear annihilation-- leaving behind their infrastructure.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Soulwrangler posted:

In the original novel isn't the ape planet fully advanced? Driving cars, broadcast media, etc. Sounds like a possible third film might be the closest to the original source material yet considering humanity has died out due to disease and not nuclear annihilation-- leaving behind their infrastructure.

Boulle's novel is less a sci-fi setting and more like philosophical literature. From what I remember, it's just modern day with apes and humans transposed, like War With The Newts or something.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

WickedHate posted:

I've never seen the originals, but apes are some of my favorite animals and I loved Rise. I think the original was really good for being both a reboot and a prequel.

Definitely watch the original, Charlton Heston is such a miserable poo poo in it and it's a good time.

I liked Rise and went to see it totally based on the fact that it had a huge gorilla charging a man on a horse in the trailer and I stand by my decision making.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
OK, it's January 1st and I now have a most anticipated film for the year. July needs to hurry up and get here!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Boulle's novel is less a sci-fi setting and more like philosophical literature. From what I remember, it's just modern day with apes and humans transposed, like War With The Newts or something.

Also in Boulle's novel the titular "Planet of the Apes" wasn't Earth. Although at the end of the book the main characters Escape from the Planet of the Apes and return to Earth only to find out there was a Conquest and now it is the Planet of the Apes too.

I think its funny how apparently a new trend in movie advertising is Jason Clarke yelling.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Apparently the studio is happy with what they've seen so far as Matt Reeves has been hired again to do the sequel to this.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I just watched Rise of the Planet of the Apes tonight and now I'm pretty hype for Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. Andy Serkis loving owns. Is James Franco coming back for the sequel?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I just watched Rise of the Planet of the Apes tonight and now I'm pretty hype for Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. Andy Serkis loving owns. Is James Franco coming back for the sequel?
IMDB says no. Andy Serkis is, however :getin:

spikenigma
Nov 13, 2005

by Ralp
Ok, I just have to say.

I've always been disappointed with the direction this franchise has taken since the reboot.

Since the :bahgawd: original :bahgawd:, I've always thought the apes taking over was a naturalistic transition: One species replacing the other * gradually, in the inevitable march towards the future. Rather than:

a) Apes become intelligent due to science experiment.
b) But humans have massive technological superiority, But humans have massive numerical superiority, How did the Apes do [x] when it's infeasible they can do the required [y], even with their new intelligence
c) Apes take over the world in a few years.

Just seems a bit quick and rushed without saying anything profound like the original.

* While humans move underground and develop psychic powers due to pollution.

spikenigma fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Mar 19, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

spikenigma posted:

* While humans move underground and develop psychic powers due to pollution.

I didn't know [x] of the Apes copied The Time Machine.

spikenigma
Nov 13, 2005

by Ralp

computer parts posted:

I didn't know [x] of the Apes copied The Time Machine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beneath_the_Planet_of_the_Apes

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I thought the first movie was totally saved by the CGI monkey

Every human character was worthless but Ceasar was straight up captivating

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Zzulu posted:

Interesting thing about the movie was that all of the apes/monkeys were CGI.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Zzulu posted:

I hope the new one keeps on focusing more in the apes than in the humans, that's something I liked so much from the first.

JesseHechtCREATIVE
Feb 20, 2013

​ Creative New Content Weekly

Cuisine
Reviews
Entertainment
Animation
Toys
Images
Videogames
Everything!
The first was great, and yes I need to watch the original series. Franco not coming back and being replaced by Gary Oldman is a plus though. July needs to speed up along with May...

Ungoal
Mar 13, 2014

by XyloJW

spikenigma posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beneath_the_Planet_of_the_Apes

Holy gently caress they need to do a remake with this story line.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Here's the new full-length trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sHMCRaS3ao

It looks pretty drat exciting.

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012
Maybe this was answered in the first movie, but how can humans not win this war with their technology? Besides "it's a movie" as the answer, was there something more fitting provided?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hand of the King posted:

Maybe this was answered in the first movie, but how can humans not win this war with their technology? Besides "it's a movie" as the answer, was there something more fitting provided?

What are you referring to? The war in the trailer?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Shadowhand00 posted:

Here's the new full-length trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sHMCRaS3ao

It looks pretty drat exciting.

Looks amazing. Serkis and the effects folk are going to make you forget you're looking at a computer generated character, again.

This is really the best kind of remake, where they take the original concept and explore it in an interesting new way. What if we had to share the planet with an emerging sentient species? It's easy to empathize with the apes here.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Hand of the King posted:

Humans got hosed by the virus and by intraspecies fighting, weakening them. Apes together strong.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

:swoon: That new trailer was amazing! Forget Godzilla, I'm really looking to see this one.

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012

What are you referring to? The war in the trailer?

poo poo. I am way confused. I thought there was just one virus (just that made the apes intelligent). I'm guessing there are two? One that enhanced the apes and another that kills humanity?

But regardless, yes, with regard to the war in the trailer, I guess it's just hard for me to believe humans lose this unless like 90% of the population was wiped out. I didn't even think the apes could reproduce that fast.

Pigbog
Apr 28, 2005

Unless that is Spider-man if Spider-man were a backyard wrestler or Kurt Cobain, your costume looks shitty.
The first movie was surprisingly entertaining, and this one looks even better. Consider me hyped.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Hand of the King posted:

poo poo. I am way confused. I thought there was just one virus (just that made the apes intelligent). I'm guessing there are two? One that enhanced the apes and another that kills humanity?

You should watch it again dude. It was the same virus, the apes got smarter because of it, but it killed humans.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hand of the King posted:

But regardless, yes, with regard to the war in the trailer, I guess it's just hard for me to believe humans lose this unless like 90% of the population was wiped out. I didn't even think the apes could reproduce that fast.

That is precisely what happens at the end of Rise. They point it out in the trailer, too.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

That is precisely what happens at the end of Rise. They point it out in the trailer, too.

People missed it in the first film because while it was strongly hinted at during the film, it was the animation under the credits that really showed what was happening.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, I guess I'm being disingenuous as it actually happened in the credits. But this trailer says it in no uncertain terms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

There was a pretty distinct sequence of events in Rise where one of the ape handlers gets infected and dies from the "cure" for brain diseases that Franco had been working on. It's pretty heavily foreshadowed that the humans would be wiped out by an interspecies disease and not necessarily the apes. [edit] Heavily implied in the credits as well, as others have mentioned. Forgot about that.

teagone fucked around with this message at 06:09 on May 9, 2014

• Locked thread