Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Gamingo is truly the Andy Kaufman of our generation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I love the contrast of straight and serious the film plays its core premise vs the pun-tastic score:

quote:

Level Plaguing Field
Look Who’s Stalking
The Great Ape Processional
Past Their Primates
Close Encounters Of The Furred Kind
Monkey To The City
The Lost City Of Chimpanzee
Along Simian Lines
Caesar No Evil, Hear No Evil
Monkey See, Monkey Coup
Gorilla Warfare
The Apes Of Wrath
Gibbon Take
Aped Crusaders
How Bonobo Can You Go
Enough Monkeying Around
Primates For Life
Planet Of The End Credits
Ain’t That A Stinger

Michael Giacchino you have brightened my day.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jul 29, 2014

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MG knows how to make a track listing. My favorite title of that list is "Monkey See, Monkey Coup."

Other good score track titles.

quote:

1. Star Trek
2. Nailin' The Kelvin
3. Labor Of Love
4. Hella Bar Talk
5. Enterprising Young Men
6. Nero Sighted
7. Nice To Meld You
8. Run And Shoot Offense
9. Does It Still McFly
10. Nero Death Experience
11. Nero Fiddles, Narada Burns
12. Back From Black
13. That New Car Smell
14. End Credits

quote:

1. "Give Her My Budapest" 1:57
2. "Light the Fuse One" (Contains Mission: Impossible Theme by Lalo Schifrin) 2:01
3. "Knife to a Gun Fight"
4. "In Russia, Phone Dials You"
5. "Kremlin with Anticipation"
6. "From Russia with Love"
7. "Ghost Protocol"
8. "Railcar Rundown"
9. "Hendricks' Manifesto"
10. "A Man, A Plan, A Code, Dubai"
11. "Love the Glove"
12. "The Express Elevator"
13. "Mission Impersonatable"
14. "Moreau Trouble Than She's Worth"
15. "Out for a Run"
16. "Eye of the Wistrom"
17. "Mood India"
18. "Mumbai's the Word"
19. "Launch Is on Hendricks"
20. "World's Worst Parking Valet"
21. "Putting the Miss in Mission"
22. "Mission: Impossible Theme (Out with a Bang Version)"

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Holy poo poo that composer owns.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

adamantium|wang posted:

Saw the film last night, loved it. Noticed something about the finale, and was wondering if any one else did too or I was just imagining it. In the final scene we have the sun rising and shining light down on the assembled throng of apes. To me this was not only the titular "Dawn" but the deification of Caesar.

Caesar is shot in view of everyone and falls into the forest. Immediately Koba is brandishing evidence of human treachery and shouting about avenging his death. As far as the apes are concerned Caesar is dead, a martyr for ape-kind. He's found the next morning by the humans, taken back to his old home and patched up. Blue Eyes goes out to rally support for him which Malcolm remarks has having taken nearly two days in a throwaway line to Caesar in the loft. Three days after his apparent death the women, children and the infirm enter the city to see Caesar, having cast out the sinner among them (who broke their first law in full view of many others) standing victorious in a huge lobby illuminated by the dawn's light. You can see some of them nearby bow with a hand raised in supplication, but more and more of them straight up fall to their knees as the light spreads and strengthens. Caesar is literally ape Christ.

Agreed, if Caesar was given super powers too, I'd say that this would've been the superior Superman movie.

e:

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 29, 2014

jazz babies
Mar 7, 2007

I lost track of how often I had to remind myself the apes were CGI.

Geez. I can't wait for the next one.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
So should I see this in 3D or not 3D?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Really enjoyed this Q&A with Jeff Goldsmith episode with Matt Reeves. A great followup to the previous episode I posted with the writer.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

MisterBibs posted:

Somewhat related, I just discovered that the guy who wrote the original PoTA novel wrote a sequel to the first movie. It's called Planet Of The Men.

Haha, this is delightfully hosed up. I can picture every scene perfectly as a movie with all it's 60s glory and heavy-handed social commentary. Poor Zaius. :(

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
FINALLY got to see this. Pretty good, though Rise had a unique energy this doesn't quite match. (It may not help that the lead human here is to James Franco what Franciscus in Beneath was to Charlton Heston- not as good but similar enough to be distracting.) The human drama in general drags a little, but the ape drama is great fun.

And they really have ratcheted up the effects work. In Rise the apes were detailed and articulate but always stood out as CGI, here there were a lot of shots where I only knew they were CG because they would have to be. (Maybe there was some animatronic stuff too, I dunno.)

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
Saw this a couple days ago, enjoyed it a lot. I think Rise is still the better movie.
I didn't really like Koba going villain so suddenly, even if he had to right motivation. It would've been better if his fall down was more gradually.

The difference in battle styles between Caesar in Rise and Koba in Dawn were pretty great. In Rise you have the apes working as a large team, looking out for each other and slowly progressing. With Koba at the helm you have a crazy frontal attack made out of pure anger, without sympathy to either side.

I think Caesar's lack of communication towards Koba also made Koba jump to his role as villain. I don't think Caesar ever explained why he allowed the humans so much freedom, even after they had betrayed him two times.

I also thought the scene of Koba and Blue-Eyes after Caesar died and they were alone on the stage was beautiful.

Apes on horses will always be impressive really.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Just saw Rise for the first time, in preparation for seeing this one tomorrow.

Bloody fantastic. Can't believe I put off seeing it this long. People complained about Franco's performance but I really don't see that at all, he did a fine job of playing that particular character. I can't believe a big blockbuster movie exists that actively sides with the apes against all of humanity. It's probably one of my new favourite films.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hbomberguy posted:

Just saw Rise for the first time, in preparation for seeing this one tomorrow.

Bloody fantastic. Can't believe I put off seeing it this long. People complained about Franco's performance but I really don't see that at all, he did a fine job of playing that particular character. I can't believe a big blockbuster movie exists that actively sides with the apes against all of humanity. It's probably one of my new favourite films.

You're really going to like Dawn then.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

I did!

I love the family themes this one's got going. Reminds me of the new Godzilla where 'family' is simultaneously a respectable thing to be fighting to protect and that whole problem, because families are small and divided against each other.

Loved the ending conversation between Malcolm and Caesar. It's the sort of ending talk that could have felt totally forced if the film leading up to it had been at all wrong, but it wasn't and it worked great.

The only thing that I think needed more fleshing out was the contact with the army base, something that sets up what might be happening in the next film the way the previous film did with this one - although this one had such a perfect ending that it's probably better that they didn't.

It really does remind me of the Phantom menace, a variation where they stayed on Naboo because one of the gungans went 'hang on a second!' and loving shot Quigon and started a war with the humans. Okay that's a little too much of a change to count as a variation but the presentation of subtle social conflicts juxtaposed with more 'obvious' threats certainly felt very similar. Not sure which film of the two I liked more, both have very good moments but this one probably wins out.

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Oh... my podcast... it's so good... ungh.... it's the best.... podcast ever.... oh god.... UNNNGGGGGHHHH

Hbomberguy posted:

It really does remind me of the Phantom menace

you wash your mouth out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
your dirty whore mouth

• Locked thread