Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Oh yeah! gently caress, its been a long time since ive seen that movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Vintersorg posted:

Oh yeah! gently caress, its been a long time since ive seen that movie.

Yeah I'm watching it right now, hah. Forgot about the scene where the ape handler guy just straight up coughs blood all over James Franco's neighbor that's connected to the credits stinger.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

teagone posted:

Yeah I'm watching it right now, hah. Forgot about the scene where the ape handler guy just straight up coughs blood all over James Franco's neighbor that's connected to the credits stinger.

I love that Dr. Rodney McKay becomes Patient Zero for the ape-ocalypse.

TryAgainBragg
May 5, 2014
Didn't think it was possible but the new trailer dropping made me even more excited for this to finally release. Caesars use of speech sounds pretty great and I love that he's the only ape that seems to be walking fully upright.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Speaking of, is there any reason why I shouldn't get this Blu-Ray set of the original five movies? It's only $32 on Amazon.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Speaking of, is there any reason why I shouldn't get this Blu-Ray set of the original five movies? It's only $32 on Amazon.

Absolutely not. The original is arguably worth that price on its own and I think Escape and Conquest (which I happen to be watching right now) are both very good. Beneath and Battle aren't without their charm.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
Man, I'm going to get all dusty eyed when Caesar watches that old home video. :( Trailer looks crazy loving good.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Diabolik900 posted:

Absolutely not. The original is arguably worth that price on its own and I think Escape and Conquest (which I happen to be watching right now) are both very good. Beneath and Battle aren't without their charm.

I mean more about the video quality or the extras and whatever, but it was kind of a dumb question! At $30ish for 5 Blu-Rays, there's no way it isn't worth it. Besides, my girlfriend is a huge Charlton Heston fan, but all she's seen are things like The Ten Commandments and El Cid! Time to show her what he's really all about. :getin:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Slightly different cut of the official trailer (it's the international version):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf5e7Xc1Hwk

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
When I watched the first movie, I assumed that the virus was not only going to kill off a lot of humans but also mentally deteriorate a lot of the survivors. The fact that John Lithgow's characters gets worse before dying hinted at this for me. All of the Apes movies since Beneath have framed the conflict as humans being subjugated more than anything else.

It would be nice to see a future movie return to some of the existential horror of humans actually being treated like animals.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Timeless Appeal posted:

When I watched the first movie, I assumed that the virus was not only going to kill off a lot of humans but also mentally deteriorate a lot of the survivors. The fact that John Lithgow's characters gets worse before dying hinted at this for me. All of the Apes movies since Beneath have framed the conflict as humans being subjugated more than anything else.

It would be nice to see a future movie return to some of the existential horror of humans actually being treated like animals.

John Lithgow's character was suffering from Alzheimer's though. The reason he got worse was because the ALZ-112 "cure" was being countered by antibodies, so his condition regressed to a point where the disease got worse, which eventually led to his death. Also, the "simian flu" virus came from the ALZ-113, not the 112.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
I only wish Franco could have returned for this movie. The dynamic between him and Ceaser was amazing and I would have loved to have seen that explored more in the sequel.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

I only wish Franco could have returned for this movie. The dynamic between him and Ceaser was amazing and I would have loved to have seen that explored more in the sequel.

He has a cameo at least :)

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

teagone posted:

John Lithgow's character was suffering from Alzheimer's though. The reason he got worse was because the ALZ-112 "cure" was being countered by antibodies, so his condition regressed to a point where the disease got worse, which eventually led to his death. Also, the "simian flu" virus came from the ALZ-113, not the 112.
I might be misremembering it, but I seem to recall Franco's character being surprised by how fast it was getting worse. Either way, I had this assumption that since both viruses play with brain chemistry that it would explain why humans end up losing their intellect.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
This looks amazing and while disappointed that James Franco is not coming back for the sequel, the actors they have are fantastic. Also, Gary Oldman. Come on. He plays a OLD MAN.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Timeless Appeal posted:

I might be misremembering it, but I seem to recall Franco's character being surprised by how fast it was getting worse. Either way, I had this assumption that since both viruses play with brain chemistry that it would explain why humans end up losing their intellect.

They didn't really go into detail regarding the effects of ALZ-113 on humans in Rise other than showing that the ape handler guy got sick, was coughing up blood, and eventually died due to exposure to ALZ-113. Maybe in the sequel they'll explain a bit more, but from what's presented in the first film, the virus just straight up kills a person with no other effects. Franco was surprised to find out how rapidly his father's immune system developed antibodies to fight off the ALZ-112 virus.

TryAgainBragg
May 5, 2014

Hollismason posted:

Also, Gary Oldman. Come on. He plays a OLD MAN.

*brain implodes*

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Hand of the King posted:

But regardless, yes, with regard to the war in the trailer, I guess it's just hard for me to believe humans lose this unless like 90% of the population was wiped out. I didn't even think the apes could reproduce that fast.

The larger primates reach adulthood in ten years, so it's not fast but in competition they could overtake humans in a few generations.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I've only seen the first two and was pretty bored throughout. IMO you only need to watch the Franco film and maybe the episode of the simpsons with the Planet of the Apes musical

juan the owl
Oct 26, 2007

THERE'S A MONSTER AT THE END OF THIS POST!!
What the hell? The old Planet of the Apes movies rule (or the first 3 do at least).

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The first one is a really fine movie if only for Zaius.

TryAgainBragg
May 5, 2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The first one is a really fine movie if only for Zaius.

Seriously, that ape is basically the star. drat dirty humans...

I loved the originals as a kid and feel the first 3 hold up well even with the time (1st one is just great,2nd is fun,strange 70's sci-fi and 3rd is still solid). The costuming and set design is also pretty great for the time, the ape costumes still get me.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I remember being kind of taken aback that Zaius sort of has a legitimate beef against Taylor, even if none of it is his fault.

TryAgainBragg
May 5, 2014
Its part of what I legitimately love about the first one, you're pretty much in it for Taylor at the beginning but by the end it's really hard to not sympathize with a ton of the ape characters. Zaius included, even though he's essentially the closest thing to the villain.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
And the "hero" apes are awfully condescending to Taylor. Rod Serling was a bright guy.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

TryAgainBragg posted:

Seriously, that ape is basically the star. drat dirty humans...

I loved the originals as a kid and feel the first 3 hold up well even with the time (1st one is just great,2nd is fun,strange 70's sci-fi and 3rd is still solid). The costuming and set design is also pretty great for the time, the ape costumes still get me.

The fourth one is way better than the second. The fifth is the only one that's really kinda bad in my opinion.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It weirds me out how they 'good' apes are like, neurologists, but they live in a society that no real advanced technology to speak of.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mantis42 posted:

It weirds me out how they 'good' apes are like, neurologists, but they live in a society that no real advanced technology to speak of.

Do you mean in the old movies? Roddy McDowell and Kim Novak were just like anatomists or something. I think they were just dissecting humans and then Chuck Heston yelled at them.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I don't think anyone was a neurologist. Zira was an animal psychologist, and she worked with a surgeon named Galen. Cornelius was an archaeologist.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Diabolik900 posted:

The fourth one is way better than the second. The fifth is the only one that's really kinda bad in my opinion.

You guys are pretty generous with the sequels, I feel like you can skip them really. The first one is such a great contained scifi story, I kind of like the idea of it unsullied. But I guess the second one has wacky atom bomb worshiping, which is always delightful.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

They had to have some technology somewhere, they managed to fix Taylor's space ship and escape to the past with it.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Drunkboxer posted:

You guys are pretty generous with the sequels, I feel like you can skip them really. The first one is such a great contained scifi story, I kind of like the idea of it unsullied. But I guess the second one has wacky atom bomb worshiping, which is always delightful.

It's kind of like loving both Rocky and Rocky IV. You can argue whether Rocky really deserved to win its best picture Oscar, but it was at least good enough to be nominated. Rocky IV on the other hand is a hell of a lot of fun, but nobody will seriously argue that it should have gotten an Oscar nomination.

The first Planet of the Apes is one of the great movies of all time, and the sequels are not. They're still great for what they are though: fun, somewhat kitschy sci-fi movies.

I admit I haven't really made this differentiation before in my posts though.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHDxagjyvBo
:stare:

This movie is going to be so good. Koba looks like he's going to be a terrifying mother fucker in the movie. Jesus that fakeout scene had me all :gonk:, but then that scene with an ape dual wielding machine guns while on horseback was all :black101:. Cannot wait for this.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

teagone posted:

This movie is going to be so good. Koba looks like he's going to be a terrifying mother fucker in the movie. Jesus that fakeout scene had me all :gonk:, but then that scene with an ape dual wielding machine guns while on horseback was all :black101:. Cannot wait for this.

Just a warning, I'd SKIP this trailer. It gives way too loving much of the story away.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

It really depends on how much of a hardon you are about spoilers, that trailer pretty much gives it away, but it gave me enough to want to watch instead of being warily interested with stupid teases.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

teagone posted:

Ahhh im looking forward to this. I still lament the loss of James Franco, but boy this is looking pretty great.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Ammanas posted:

Just a warning, I'd SKIP this trailer. It gives way too loving much of the story away.

How do you know?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

How do you know?

It touches on act 1, 2, 3 story beats. It may not be all that spoilerific but you're not going in blind.

ARCDad
Jul 22, 2007
Not to be confused with poptartin

hemophilia posted:

It touches on act 1, 2, 3 story beats. It may not be all that spoilerific but you're not going in blind.

The movie is called "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes". I don't think there is a lot of secrecy around what the end result is going to be really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

momtartin posted:

The movie is called "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes". I don't think there is a lot of secrecy around what the end result is going to be really.

The road to that end result is pretty unpaved and some people might be invested in the Planet franchise enough to want to go in totally blind or something??? I am at a loss here I don't even care, it sold me more on the movie but I know dudes wanna go in blind.

For those who do: It was a good trailer and made the movie look cool, in my terrible lovely opinion.

• Locked thread