Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

Samsquamsch posted:

What are your guys' mounting solutions for your Mobiuses?

For my windshield, I'm using a mini 0803 with 3M tape, but I'll be going with the suction cup for the Mobius on the windshield. When I move the 0803 to the rear, I'll mount it from a plastic cap that holds in the headliner using 3M tape. If it's going on glass I'd probably use a suction cup or visor mount in your case but for others, 3M tape shouldn't leave any sticky residue you can't get off relatively easy if you don't feel like spending the cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
I just got my Mobius yesterday and I am pretty impressed with the thing. The settings were a little interesting but the software you use to configure it has little tips that appear when you hover over the option, so that really helped.

Since I've already setup my 0803 on the dash, I'll probably just use the Mobius as a rear-cam until I decide whether it's worth the effort to rerun cables and buy new 3M mounts to move them around. Alternatively, I'll just get another Mobius by then. Too soon to say.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

Hit an Apex posted:

Has anyone put in a rear facing camera (out the back window), would be curious to see the setup in photos.

I just finished my install of a rear cam last weekend. I'll try and post a photo tomorrow, but I've got an 0803 on the windshield and a Mobius on a plastic cap in the headliner above the backseat.

It could probably look nicer, but honestly I'm not too concerned about it. It doesn't stick out too much.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

Laserface posted:

Christ, there is already the Mini 0806 coming out soon.

how old is the 0803? it seemed relatively new to the market when I got mine about 4 months ago.

It's the 2014 model. They've released the mini 0805 and 0806 (2015 models) at about the same time. From my understanding, there are only minor differences in components and the biggest thing is that there is newer firmware with the 0805/0806. Not worth it to get to rid of your existing equipment unless it's giving you problems, imo.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

aschaef posted:

That's too bad. I had read something that said if there wasn't a valid timestamp on the video it couldn't be used as evidence if someone hits you. My wife just got hit by some dickwad turning left from the center lane and we didn't have a camera in that car. I'm looking at one of the Mini 0806's to put in her car.

Mobius with supercapacitor will do well here as long as you start the car for like 2 minutes at least once every ~9-10 days, according to literature.

Alternatively, my mini 0803 has done excellent with keeping its timestamp in the cold temperatures. In fact, I pulled some video off of both cams near the end of last year and it kept the timestamp just fine.

Wickerman fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jan 20, 2015

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

nm posted:

Nope
Your attorney: "is that an accurate representation of what happed on day x?"
You: Yep
Attorney: Move to admit
Opposing counsel: Object because of time stamp
Judge: :catstare: Overruled

I'm thinking something more along the lines of whether or not the video is admissible, like was it recorded on private property or public property (of private property) and is there permission from the property owner, et al.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
As long as you don't get cited I wouldn't worry too much about it unless it's an accident that causes some debilitating injury. In that case, you can just put the video files on a flash drive or DVD and give it to the reporting officer later on. That's what I did when I recorded a crime at the end of last year.

As far as your insurance, when you give your statement just tell them you have video and they'll give you instructions on how to submit it.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Reading the comments to that one produced this video which is very similar to what happened to me in 2010.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4WiL-phnJc

I didn't have a dash cam and she had a 6 year old kid with her. Guess who the cops believed?

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It helps me realize that most modern BMW owners are idiots who leave braking until the very last second and then shove their foot through the floor instead of looking ahead.

They should just replace the extra brake lights with a little flag that pops out from the fender, saying "RETARD" and accompanied with either a comedy kazoo or deflating balloon noise.

I just wanted to tell you that this was probably the best post in this thread in the last 5-10 pages.

I'm still laughing.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
I'm gonna recommend the Mobius or the Mini 0803.

So far both of mine (0803 front, Mobius rear) are going strong. The 0803 has refused to record once, but a quick reformat returned it to normal. It does make a Windows 95 era sound to indicate it's not recording, so there aren't any surprises about it.

I love them both. I'm torn as far as what my next dashcam should be. Should I go with an 0806, or should I go all Mobius?

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

bobfather posted:

Mobius Mobius Mobius. I'm entertaining getting a second one to face the rear. Then I could remove them from the car periodically and rig them up to shoot 3D video with them or something weird.

Basically this. I realize that G1Ws and their variations are about $30 less than a Mobius + supercapacitor, but really the boost in quality for those extra dollars is beyond twofold.

G1Ws, while acceptable, are vastly inferior and should probably not be recommended for first timers unless they need that additional $20 for food to survive. The video quality is night and day between the Mobius and the G1W. Mobius video will capture the license plate numbers with clarity at a distance, G1Ws will not.

It's like comparing a cheapo digital camera from the mid-2000s and a new digital camera from 2015, imo.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

The Locator posted:

It's a device that is used to let other drivers know they need to speed up to cut off what would be a perfectly reasonable and safe lane change.

After they enter the roadway, the continued lane changes are not acceptable, at least in my jurisdiction.

Ohio law forbids a lane change from occurring within 100ft of an intersection. That driver changes lanes IN the intersection.

What is with these troll posts?

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

The Locator posted:

Did not realize that it was unlawful to attempt to make a semi-related joke on the SA forums.

Carry on Mr. Serious.

:toot:

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
I took this video on 6-26 and I just want to say...

Distracted driving can kill folks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8BBe_d-huQ

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

MiniFoo posted:

I'll be the one to ask the rhetorical question. Was he towing a lawnmower with his bicycle?

That's actually why I wasn't going any faster, lucky for him I was paying attention and didn't accelerate going down the hill.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
That's an interesting decal on your hood.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Even if you were (you weren't) driving on the right side of the road, the people in this thread would still tell you you're in the wrong because you're driving too fast on what looks like a dirt road. You cant win so stop trying

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
I was being facetious anyway.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

`Nemesis posted:

Once and while my mobius fails to start with the car, but my wiring is janky and I haven't put any effort into figuring it out since unplugging it and plugging it back in fixes it. Doesn't happen a lot though. It's still the dashcam I would recommend though.

Same issue with my Mobius, is probably the wire I've got and how long it is.

I want to replace my Mini 0803 with another Mobius though. Mobius is the best cam. Take note of that if you're in the market for one.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Not GPS data, but I have given dashcam video to the police for a theft that I saw (and reported.)

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Is the Mobius still a reasonable dash cam selection? There were two recommendations on the last page but I have mixed feelings about the cams.

My old setup was a forward and rearward facing Mobius and it worked flawlessly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

STR posted:

So dashcam got stolen when my car got broken into.

Affordable options? I'd prefer to stay under $100, but the Viofo A129 looks pretty nice (just... $$). I'm coming from a Roav C1 that had been replaced under warranty twice (and was dying again), so most stuff will be a decent upgrade. 1080 or 2k, 120+ degree lens (but not super wide like 170), and good night video are my must-haves, and I'd prefer NOT to have built-in GPS. Micro USB power would be very nice as that means I don't need to re-run any wiring.

Have the Viofo A129, got it a few weeks ago. Hardwired it, seems pretty nice to me. I'm pleased despite the price point