Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Well tbf, real winter tyres *are* worse on wet roads than all-seasons or summer tyres. Most of the tyres called "winter tyres" in Germany gets called "continental winter tyres" here in Sweden, and are considered worse on snow and ice than real winter tyres, but better on wet & dry roads.

As for Sweden and winter tyres, straight from the Swedish Transport Agency:

That's probably pretty common around Europe, the wording is similar in the Czech Republic as well. Which is good, because I'll probably make this year without buying winter tires for the miata again. It only snowed for the first time yesterday, and was up to 10 degrees until then, and in March it's already getting warmer...

The Locator posted:

What really amazes me about the winter Russian dash cam videos is how many of them are simply people going far too fast for conditions, and/or trying to pass traffic on what is basically a strip of ice between snow berms, sometimes combined with no visibility.

Case in loving point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qATEr8Q-jQg&t=11s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The amount of stupidity on display is... impressive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW_IkA16AeE&t=123s

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Being a dick because the camera truck/van was hogging up the left lane when the right one was completely empty.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The camera vehicle was at worst a minor annoyance at the beginning, though it reacted in the worst possible way to the Accord's dumbass provocation.

Anyway, at least it wasn't this, jfc :gonk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKx-iDeceac&t=80s (from 1:20, if it doesn't jump there automatically)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

NoWake posted:

I'm not very :tinfoil:, but I've put electrical tape over my laptop's camera because it creeps me out to have it always looking at me. It shouldn't be too hard for someone to neuter their cameras if they don't want 'em. I bet the production version runs through OnStar and carries something like a >$20 monthly subscription fee to use. Not to say that it wouldn't collect/transmit data without the subscription... yeah maybe I am a little paranoid.

I've seen a few coworkers put tape over their work laptop webcams. I'd understand the concern if you're jerkin' it while on a conf call from home but a) there's an indicator LED and b) if anyone wants to watch me sit for 10 hours in an office chair, I'm more than happy to waste their time!

On the other hand, the standard dashcams are a bit disconcerting because I could see you getting in trouble for disabling it intentionally sooner rather than later.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone tried disassembling their dashcam and integrating the insides into their car? I'm considering doing something like that for my miata, as I wouldn't want to either leave it visible somewhere nor putting/removing it every single time I go somewhere.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Thanks, this is pretty much what I've been thinking! I suppose if I don't keep the case, the whole thing could be hidden behind the sun visor. And another thing I was considering is sticking my tablet in-dash and using OTG webcams to forward/reverse, but never got to the first part so far.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
This is either a viral ad for the next Saints Row game or probably just Russia.mpg:
https://www.youtube.com/v/Wnsdc7cTPuU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

LloydDobler posted:

The video cracked me up because your reaction is the same as mine usually is. loving GO JESUS CHRIST.

I had one the other day where I was in a driveway waiting to enter the street, and another car was in another driveway across the street ready to do the same thing. A lady comes down the street, we're waiting for her to go by so we can enter traffic, and she loving stops to let us out. Doesn't wave, or look, or anything, just parks in the middle of the god drat road. I said the same thing then too.

Had this poo poo happen on our version of the interstate last week, except I was behind the guy who suddenly decided to stop to let the other one in. He gave me the finger for being upset about it. Really, this is fairly common and I see people in the right lane slow down, sometimes almost to the point of stopping, to let mergers in all the time and it's completely infuriating.

Also had a guy try to switch into my lane while I was still occupying it the other day, but hitting the brakes and horn was enough to avoided contact.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think that excuses a maneuver like that though, exit be damned :)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Merging/horn story: I had a guy in front of me come to a stop on the road being merged onto to let some dumbfuck in. He then got pissed off at me for pointing out this stupidity.

http://i.imgur.com/eKuw9hv.gifv

Looks like his own fault but the "hosed out of nowhere" factor is high.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Geirskogul posted:

And on some cars it could twist the A-pillar, which is essentially a total situation.
Not in Russia it ain't!

davebo posted:

Proceed forward after noticing the other traffic was also stopped. At least here if there are no working lights you treat it as a 4-way stop sign intersection, so if the coast was clear he could have just gone like the van did. Is that the case in most of Europe or are you obligated to sit there until there just isn't any traffic on the larger road?
Most (?) intersections usually have signs as well as traffic lights so you fall back to whatever the sign says, for example:

In other places you might encounter a yield or stop sign. If there's nothing, the cars on the right have the right of way as MrOnBicycle says.

As for dashcams, Xiaomi has a dash version of the Yi, now with a screen, auto-recording and crash detection (among other things). I have the regular Yi and in terms of image quality it's as good as it gets, at least.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Xiaomi-Yi-1...pcAAOSwf05XOvSF

Techmoan has a review of course: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifPhMULpiWI

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
That's what happens if your truck isn't big enough

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kazy posted:

I don't even see what I'm supposed to be looking at.

A truck runs a red light and gets immediately lit up by a cop.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
:same:

Also the red lights on the street you're turning in reminds me of the first time I ran into those in the US (it's very unusual to have lights on the other side of an intersection here). I was making a turn just like that, saw the red lights and immediately started panicking that I must've ran a red light. So I hit the brakes and started checking if there's any cross traffic, pedestrians trying to cross the street in front of me and so on.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

EightBit posted:

So, you don't have lights for the opposing and/or intersecting directions? Could you clarify this?

The lights are, usually, before the intersection. If you're stopped at a red, they're almost directly above you, and not on the other side of the intersection, across the road.

If you're making a left turn here on your green, you will not see a red light which is there for the traffic coming from your right. It's located right in front of the black car on the right here. Not a big deal at all, as I said it just freaked me out a little the first time. Like in that video, you see Takes No Damage makes a left and go through red lights, and I was not used to that and expected pedestrians to start running across or something.

Well yeah, that was the point in the original post
vvv

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Dec 7, 2016

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm getting quite tired of all these cocks on the road here as well

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
This is surprisingly common considering in dashcam videos considering how difficult it should actually be to pull off. Still, I have no idea how does this not happen several times per race in F1 and other open-wheel series.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
A moron in a Skoda decides to show off and understeers right into a ditch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2IpM1fGNvo

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
But that would be only whatever speed he bounced off the seat with, not the full force of the impact. And he jumped out into oncoming traffic so even if the truck didn't get him, another car easily could have.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Looks like they saved the car at least.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
You can get around this problem with some tempered glass screen protectors, which are circularly polarized I guess and as a result you can see the screen through glasses at any angle.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wP87qzyKTMA

Not particularly new but I haven't seen most of these before and there are some great close calls and lucky/skillful saves.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
My dad asked me for recommendations for a camera to use on a bicycle, either worn on the body or attached to the bike. No specific requirements other than reasonable price and some amount of weatherproofing. Any suggestions? I just use a Xiomi Yi for track days but it's not really ideal as a dashcam so I'm pretty clueless about what's available nowadays.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Jeez the 12CE is like 300 eurobucks, that's probably more than he'd want to spend. But thanks, it's no wonder I wasn't really finding anything because they're the only game in town.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Nitrox posted:

What about the unnoficial GoPro copies from eBay or Amazon? It's there bicycle cam equivalent? I was under impression that those are made from the same components, maybe even at the same factories in China. Also, people have been using automotive dash cams on motorcycles for a long time. Just need to get creative with mounting and waterproofing. Most common way is to put a ziplock bag over it in the rain

The Xiaomi Yi I mentioned is the Chinese GoPro knockoff :)

It was good for the time but doesn't have any dashcamy features and is a bit outdated by now, as it only does FHD and the quality isn't as good as a modern cam. I do have a waterproof case for it though that works fine even for diving.

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Bike cams are a really weird market that nobody serves well, except Cycliq with their multiple of issues.

Garmin had the Virb XE which was designed as a bike camera but it’s been discontinued for awhile and isn’t really terribly different than a GoPro. They have the Virb Ultra 30 now but it has about 2 hours of battery life at 1080p, less if you use 4K.

Drift Ghost X maybe?

MisterOblivious posted:

It's been a while since I've looked at cycling cameras, but that was the best all-around budget camera the last time I did. 5 hour record, decent low light performance, rainproof, has a rotating lens so it can be side mounted on a helmet or upside down on a Garmin/K-Edge mount.
I actually remembered that Techmoan used to do a lot of dashcam reviews before rebranding into retro tech stuff, and this was the last bike recommendation. Seems like a pretty good option for under a hundred bucks.

Nitrox posted:

https://www.provizsports.com/en-gb/blog/best-cycling-safety-cameras

I have no experience with bicycle dash cams, but tried searching for one just to be helpful. Here is an article that focuses on the safety aspect (aka dash cam) and not performance. Keyword to avoid is "action". Because that's how you get sidetracked into GoPro territory
Thanks, that rear facing one is a good idea considering the typical threat for cyclists, but then it's also over two hundred...

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Krakkles posted:

I dunno about way more than normal, but I find that the vast majority of dashcam content is more of a self-own than the people originally posting them seem to realize.
He didn't say they were the camera owner's fault, he said they made them worse ("... ratcheting the situation to 11 through their own actions"). There's certainly more than a few videos where something dumb was obviously happening and the camera owner appeared to try their best to get involved in it.

I haven't watched the latest one yet but it seems to happen pretty often in the aussie videos. There'd be someone obviously about to merge into the lane and the camera car just keeps going or even speeds up because they either didn't see it, or probably thought that they had the right of way so gently caress off.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

ryanrs posted:

Heh. I nabbed a wheel once that fell off a trailer. Threw it into my van and drove down the block to where the guy had stopped, "Hey you dropped this!"

I once ran into a box that fell off a truck in front of me. This was on the highway though so I didn't stop there to check what was inside, could've been bitcoins.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Dick Trauma posted:

The monthly collection is usually harmless, but their generic crash compilations like this one often have harsher stuff.

Oh wow, no kidding. Based on the usual compilations that get posted, I thought no actual collisions take place in Australia, just a lot of swearing.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
One issue is that here, the duration of amber seems to differ based on the street's speed limit. Which makes sense of course, to give a bigger margin at higher travel speeds. But it can make it more difficult to estimate how much time you actually have, so I sometimes find myself hitting the brakes and coming to a stop before the light turns red. Meaning that I could've easily safely crossed the intersection at the original speed.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The camera car is definitely too slow to start, would've made the turn too :colbert:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

PenisMonkey posted:

I used it on my last road trip when I saw three different vehicles towing two different vehicles each in the span of 700 miles. It’s easier to just filter for the “locked” files than try to comb through 10 hours worth of 1 minute long videos.

I don't have a dashcam but used a regular sports carmera on a recent road trip. I didn't catch anything super extraordinary but anything remotely interesting is buried between hours and hours of footage that I'm not particularly looking forward to scrubbing through all of that to get to the cool bits. Would be nice to just have button that marks the relevant files or timecodes.

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

12:23 as well. The clip starts pretty late in the buildup but there’s no way they shouldn’t have seen them start moving and had plenty of time to react. The horn goes first before the nose dips.

Dashcam videos also get posted on Reddit under idiotsincars and like half the time the camera car has the idiot who, if not actively breaking the rules, could've easily avoided the incident by taking the foot off the gas pedal for a moment.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Finally decided to order a dashcam after seeing this one for like $36:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/328...96137dfac9b0b77

There are a bunch of sellers and I think mine was a chinese versions but whatever. Seems like a good option of you don't particularly care about image quality or silly features. Or just something to toss into your 5th car or whatever. Will report back with some footage once it arrives.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

chrisgt posted:

i feel personally attacked by this. but change 5th to ... 10th.

I've been here long enough to know the audience

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

mobby_6kl posted:

Finally decided to order a dashcam after seeing this one for like $36:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/328...96137dfac9b0b77

There are a bunch of sellers and I think mine was a chinese versions but whatever. Seems like a good option of you don't particularly care about image quality or silly features. Or just something to toss into your 5th car or whatever. Will report back with some footage once it arrives.
It arrived! I had no need to drive anywhere yet and didn't want to give up my parking spot, but I did take a few shots.

As kind of expected, it looks like oversharpened 720p but for $35 it's good enough to identify idiots on the road.

It also talks to me in Chinese but the app (which you have to register to use :fuckoff:) is in English and once set up, it just records all the time. The one button interface is really limiting though, as I can't figure out how to mark a video as protected from overwriting.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Takes No Damage posted:

Depending on the jankiness of the camera it may not have that function, you might just need to pull the files manually before they get overwritten. Mine can save clips but I've never used it, I get at least 1.5 days of commuting around town in 1440 on a 32GB card, unless you're a long-haul trucker it probably won't be an issue.

In other news, who else likes to start their day with a little attempted vehicular manslaughter :argh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP9ZnoAVP4o

Seems like it can do it automatically bases on the accelerometer or maybe even voice control (!?) but I haven't installer it get as I was on vacation. Obviously if there's a real incident, it's not a problem to just pull the card. But I was hoping to just record idiots on the road for fun and it would be a huge pain in the rear end to either rewatch everything or try to record the timestamps manually or something.

FBS posted:

In my experience in Texas and Illinois we can handle one-lane roundabouts reasonably well, but as soon as you add a second lane it breaks our poor stupid brains.

There's a two-lane roundabout outside our local Costco that gets a lot of traffic and almost literally half the time I go through there (without turning in to the Costco) somebody violates my right of way.

I'm completely used to roundabouts but if it's poorly marked and/or in an unfamiliar area (or country) they can be tricky since you might not know if the outer lane is exit-only, if you can exit from the inner lane or have to change first, etc.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
To make sure they don't get clipped by the van?

Or they're an idiot who can't drie.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
This is from the $30 70mai cam I posted above earlier. Even downscaled it's visibly not great in terms of IQ but definitely good enough for the purpose. As I suspected, driving just 50km today was sufficient to collect some material!

1st clip is something I complained about but what doesn't seem to be a common issue elsewhere. Some impatient morons try to overtake a car that's merging in front of them, thus making it dangerous for them to complete the merge and potentially endangering the cars already on the road. As we can see in the second clip later today.

https://i.imgur.com/lvghCgx.mp4

The last one is bonus material, I was stuck behind the truck and had to wait until the BMW flew by before taking the exit, when that guy had to make sure he didn't miss his exit.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah you're not supposed to cross the solid white line here. The first clip is obviously not the end of the world, it was just a clear example of what I meant. But I'm definitely not a fan and not because of the magic white line (I cross it too in the last clip :v:), it just creates a more dangerous situation for no good reason:
  • The car darting across two lanes has a higher chance of cutting someone off (like the black bmw was about to do in the second clip)
  • They're likely to start passing the slow(er) merger when they already started to merge
  • The slow merger now has to check if the passing car cleared them completely and it could be difficult to tell at a glance if the other car is still in their lane partially
  • While this is happening, they can run out of merge lane, or rear-end the car in front of them (like the red van) if it had to slow down for some reason
So in conclusion, slow mergers are annoying but this isn't helping it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Audio is maybe like a megabyte a minute? Negligible for 1080p video. I just have it off so it's not recording my criminal conspiracies.