Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey guys, apologies in advance as this no doubt gets asked a lot, but would anyone mind letting me know what dash cams are recommended, to buy? I've never had one before, but I've been thinking "boy I should really get a dash cam in the next week or so" for around 4-5 years now... :v: So, as I've put it off long enough for my sister to get hit by another car (destroying my car, as she was driving it that evening) I thought I'd better finally get one, to go with my new/replacement car.

I'm mostly looking for something that's good quality, but hopefully not super-expensive. I'm tech-savvy so I don't mind if it requires some setup beforehand, either. (Although obviously I'd appreciate it if it wasn't overly time-consuming/a pain in the neck to do)
I also live in Australia, so I'm not sure if that'll impact what brands I have available to me, either. (Adelaide too, for any AusGoons in here. There are a lot of clueless drivers around here, so I regret not getting a dash cam sooner, to capture footage of the idiocy I've witnessed)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Etrips posted:

I don't have any personal recommendations since I just got my A119S in the mail today, but that seems to be the middle ground best bang for your buck consensus.
There are also other reviews available.

Ah nice, I read the reviews and article on it and the A119S looks good - might need to get it. Although I was curious about the fact that the V2 version's lens apparently provides a narrower field of view; is this noticeable, or nothing to worry about? (Also, how useful is the GPS component of the A119S? I'm a little dubious of whether it's worth the added cost, but well, I'm completely inexperienced when it comes to dash cams, so you all might be in favour of having that additional feature)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Thanks for the input, guys - that's what I suspected. I'll have to get the cheaper non-GPS version, so that's a win-win, as far as I'm concerned.

nm posted:

Also I'd say leave the audio off, but if you're australian, leave it on. Aussie dash cams are the best because of the curseing.

Hah, you're not wrong on the swearing count! Just be prepared to hear a lot of '80s rock playing as well, if I ever post a vid :D

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Don't put GPS on your dashcam.

Also, to continue on from this conversation, what does the non-GPS mount that comes with the A119S V2 look like? I can't seem to find anything on it, online. Like, is it effectively the same as the GPS mount for it, in the sense that it is attached to the windscreen with an adhesive strip (but doesn't have the power supply going to the mount, or the pins in the mount for the GPS) or is it a different type of mount/housing? Thanks

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Etrips posted:

It's just a smaller mount that goes into the same slot.

Excellent! Thanks for that - very good to know. I think I'll have to get it, soon; I've looked around online and the A119S does indeed appear to be the best option for me, all-round.
(It's just a pity that I'll probably need to buy it online, as it doesn't seem like any stores around here have it in stock...)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Oh, and by the way - this is no doubt a stupid/"dashcam 101" question, but how would you all recommend mounting an A119S, and positioning the power cable? Since I remember reading on that dashcamtalk site someone linked to, that mounting the cam up behind the rear-view mirror is the best spot - which I agree with, in terms of visibility, etc. Although that'll result in the cable dangling down the middle, in your peripheral vision. So, do you all do it this way, or do you find that another solution (like mounting it low on the windscreen, in the middle) works best, for you?

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 10, 2018

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Chillyrabbit posted:

The cable should be long enough for you to run it on the edge of the windshield/just behind the plastic upholstery if it can peel. There should be little clips with sticky tape that you tape onto surfaces and you can clip the cable onto that.

I run mine from the middle to the right, down the edge, under the glove compartment and have it plug into the center console as I'm too lazy to hardwire it into the circuit panel on the drivers side.

Ah excellent, I didn't know they were that long - that's good to know, thanks!

Oh also, I know I'm pummeling you all with questions here, but what micro SD cards do you recommend using? I ask since I've just remembered reading that SanDisk Ultra (and one other brand, I think?) cards weren't recommended for use with the dashcam, for one reason or another. (Plus apparently some cards' warranties are voided if you use it in a dash cam, and they die prematurely) Is a Transcend, or perhaps a Kingston card a good way to go, or?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Oh, by the way, I forgot to ask earlier. Is it recommended to use a polarized lens cover for the A119S v2? Since after looking around for different deals on the A119S I saw that these covers/filters were also being listed and I remember reading previously now, that glare can sometimes be a bit of an issue with it. And well, it's often pretty sunny down here (especially this time of year. Plus in the morning I drive east and in the afternoon I drive west, so I've got the sun in my eyes both ways :v:) so would it be recommended? Or just not worth the money, as it's still easy to make out plates, etc?

Thanks again, and apologies about the hundred questions I've been asking!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Fo3 posted:

New aussie one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGM8onreGcU
Only got as far as 2min08s and WTF

Geez, 124.9c petrol price at the 11min mark isn't bad! :v: (Not even joking; it's almost constantly at 149.9 where I live...would've loved that)

In other news, I'm finally getting my my dashcam! :toot: Should have it in a week or so, so hopefully I won't witness or be involved in any collisions in the meantime, heh.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

Thanks very much.

I was slightly mistaken on the microsd card, I have a 64gb one of these, I'm guessing this will be more than sufficient.

I just got the same model of dashcam, too - its first run was yesterday. I've got a 64gb microSD card as well (although I have a Transcend High Endurance card) and just under two hours 1080p at 60fps used up a little over 16GB, so it'll definitely go for a fair while, before needing to overwrite old data.

Also, just an FYI - I've read online that apparently Samsung (and I think Sandisk?) void your warranty if you use their cards in dashcams, as they seem to die before too long when used in this way. (EDIT: Beaten!)

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 2, 2018

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Takes No Damage posted:

That was volume 3 of my custom made Best Of CDs that i listen to in the car. 3 out of 9 :negative:

Hah, well hey now, you're doing better than me! I've never gotten around to bothering to burn some compilation disks (since at this point I might as well rip them and put 'em on an iPod or something) so I've still got two 50-disk CD books by the driver's seat, which are both very nearly full! :v:

EDIT: Also, I think your choice in music is probably more widely acceptable...since I witnessed a near double-crash a week or so back, while Warrant's "Cherry Pie" was being blasted from the speakers. :shobon: What can I say, I've always liked '80s rock haha
(I was tempted to upload the video, but I dunno, it didn't seem 'exciting' enough to warrant -see what I did there- posting it)

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Apr 10, 2018

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

nm posted:

I have a roav, but the picture isn't as sharp as my ancient g1w (rip). Hard to read plates off of.

Yeah, I've noticed the same thing with my A119S, unless the car is ahead of me in my lane. No idea if it's just something with the polarizing lens I bought at the same time as the cam though, I suppose...? (Just thought of that then, so I haven't tested with/without) I think I might have to start shouting out the license plate so I can hear it in the recording, if I see anything sus happen.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Polarizing lens should make it easier to see; they cut down on reflections. Same reason I'll never buy another pair of sunglasses that aren't polarized. Just keep making an audio record of the plate. The trend toward pretty much fisheye lenses means it's going to be a lot harder to read plates, but the video should at least make plates visible enough to verify if you recorded the plate info audibly.

Yeah, I thought it would be unlikely it would impact it sufficiently, but as I'm new to dashcams I wasn't 100% on if it might sliiightly decrease quality in non-glare/dimmer scenarios, which might make-or-break being able to read plates properly in some situations. Thanks for the confirmation though; I won't worry about the lens then - I'll just try to make sure I read out the plate, if something does happen.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

drat! :eyepop: Pity you can't make out the guy's plates in that video! Would've been nice to see him foot that bill!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
I dunno, my Viofo cam came with several adhesive mounts. So I could put them all into different cars and move the cam around between them, easily enough. :shrug:
(Although of course, there's also the power cable to worry about. That could be moved around too, but personally I'd rather just buy a second one online and have one per car)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Anyone posted the DCO Australia May 2018 compilation yet? I don't believe so, but apologies if anyone has. (Normally I see it though this thread, but I hadn't seen any mention of it and it's June now - so I thought I'd venture out and get it on my own!)
As a Simpsons fan who has a different image of the Canyonero on each of my work monitors, this one has the best intro! :v:

Also drat, I'm not sure how that guy in Craptacular's video hit the desk, after two people in front of him successfully braked and swerved for it, though! (And he also braked early)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Lone Goat posted:

finally joined the cool kids club, got to witness an accident

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMIiXQFunQA

What idiots! I think they should both have to pay for the damages to their own cars, personally. Both people involved were pretty stupid. Did you give your details to either of them, by the way?
I kinda hope so really, since without the video I think the person who ran the red light will end up in a much worse legal position than they deserve to be in, since they won't be able to prove (very easily anyway, I suppose) that the other driver is an equal-tier moron.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
As shocking a crash as that is, it's great to see that at least three cars (including the dash cam driver) stopping to block the right-hand lane and have a gawk! Oh well, at least he survived

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey guys, I get that this might not be 100% the best place to ask but well, it does kinda relate to my dashcam and I'd like your opinion on the matter, so I thought 'why not'.

So anyway, I'm in need of a new GPS unit for my car, but I'm absolutely sick to death of suction cap models that start falling off the windscreen, after a while. Are any of you aware of either models that come with adhesive mounts (like a dashcam) or perhaps a common/popular GPS model that has a third-party adhesive mount, that I can get?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Zero VGS posted:

A roll of this is a little pricey, but it is seriously strong and what Massachusetts uses to affix transponders to your windshield:

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Reclosable-Fastener-SJ3560-Clear/dp/B00JHKTDMA/

You could take pretty much any dash cam with a suction cup, pop the cup off and use some sandpaper on the plastic plate, then bond it to the windshield with the 3M stuff and it would likely work great. It's like velcro but a bit stronger to break apart, and doesn't really wiggle.

Oh wow, that's interesting - I didn't realize that was a thing! Hmm OK then, I might need to see if I can source some locally, perhaps. Since that sounds like it should certainly do the trick, assuming I can't find a GPS that comes with an adhesive mount to begin with.
(Also, do you have any idea on how long do those strips generally last, by the way? Assuming that it gets pulled off once or twice a week)

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 4, 2018

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

fknlo posted:

I just bought my first dash cam and wondering what software people are using to edit their videos and whatever. I've never done any kind of video editing and have no clue.

Avidemux is a good app to use, if you can spell the name right when trying to google it! :v: Free to use, no ads and it's also quite easy to get the hang of.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

hahaha I love how the other driver just keeps trying to push/shoulder through, after hitting you. And then giving you those wild gestures, afterwards! :D
What an idiot - did he really think he was in the right, shooting out across your lane without a care in the world? If you don't mind me asking, what was he saying/yelling? I hope he wasn't being abusive, after knocking that $27,000 bit of plastic off your car!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The number of times that has almost happened to me.

It amazes me that people will cut across multiple lanes of stopped cross traffic and not look for a car coming in the other unblocked lane.

At least it shows you were 100% in the right of way, no matter what "points at eyes" man might think.

Yeah, it's just shocking how often it happens, down here in Aus too. (Although thankfully when it happens down here, they generally only come half out instead of going across fully. So at least that way you can sorta swerve out the way :v:)
If I'm in the blocked lane, I'll generally keep an eye out and gesture if it's clear/not clear to the driver wanting to turn right, (or left, in your case) so that I don't need to stop and be a witness if they throw themselves into a car

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Laserface posted:

I've always used a fuse rated for whatever the socket was originally designed for as the 'main' fuse socket in the fuse tap and then a 5A fuse for the dash cam.

I normally add the fuse tap on the 12v outlet circuit.

in other news, a dude on the dashcamtalk forums has hacked custom firmwares for the A119 series of cameras. The biggest selling point of this is the higher bitrate - the sensors can do up to 28mbit (OEM settings are around 15mbit) which is close to GoPro level quality, while also adding controls for sharpness (dashcams seem to over sharpen potentially to make plates easier to read?) and saturation. hes pretty active and is even making custom firmware for people at request.

I just updated mine to the 25mbit firmware and i'll review the footage tonight in comparison to the OEM stuff. obviously there'll be a tradeoff with storage due to higher bit rate but it should improve the image quality at the edges enough to make more plates readable.

Oh nice - yeah, definitely post your thoughts about it later on if you don't mind, since I for one would be very interested to hear how it goes!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
The only think of interest I've seen in the last year or so of having a dashcam was seeing the driver in front of me stop at a red light, then crack open their door and vomit onto the road, before shutting the door and continuing on a second later, when it changed to green again. (I didn't get a good angle though, so I didn't bother saving a clip; only a photo, somewhere)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I was so mad I didn't have my old dashcam running a few years ago as I was driving up I-95. A stopped car on the shoulder's door opened and a guy stepped half out and vomited in a perfect parabolic arc.

Ahh, drat - I'm sorry to hear that! That would've been an amazing video to see/have! :D

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Charles posted:

I'm not sure how to feel about the brand name of APEMAN.

My thoughts exactly! :D That email though, haha

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

a year of saving clips, and all I have to show for it are two clips posted previously, a couple of assholes, and a lot of being buzzed by helicopters.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvfhDMRB64U

Huh, your video has been blocked on copyright grounds, unfortunately. That was quick to go down!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

You Am I posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB81Sxh9Kys

New monthly Dash Cam Owners Australia video

Warning: A gently caress load of loud swearing

That motorcyclist at 14:20! He must've been so pissed about the damage, but what a guy

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

wolrah posted:

Damage? Are you talking about the cracked panel? There is no way that slowly bouncing ball that barely tapped the bike caused that, it has to have been pre-existing.

Oh, good! I thought he must've had extremely brittle/thin panels, for one reason or another. (As you can tell, I know nothing about motorcycle manufacturing standards! :D) Good to hear, though

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

LloydDobler posted:

I have to believe those are foreigners in rental cars. It's too common to be otherwise. I mean, I can count on one hand the number of wrong way drivers I've seen in my lifetime.

Yeah, definitely. The only time I've seen someone drive the wrong way was an old guy driving down Main North Road in a gopher, one time. (Wish I had that recorded)

Also wow, that P-plater in the red car near the start! :D I thought they had hit the brakes and wanted to change lane due to a rear-ending in front, or something...but nope!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

You Am I posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW_OkzChXQU

New Dash Cam Owners Australia crash compilation.

NWS for good old Aussie swearing

haha I love 7:40 - "UNSEE THIS!" I think I know what the driver was paying attention to, instead of the road in front of them! :v:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Beach Bum posted:

That just reduces the geographical scope of the problem

Yeah, but it gives their camera/microSD a breather, since they presumably won't take it with them for the walk :v:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

madeintaipei posted:

Do they not have glasses or goggles in Aus?

All it means is that you lose your glasses and/or goggles, in addition to the eye. :colbert:
You actually see heaps of cyclists down here near where I live, who all have zipties (fully tightened/fastened, so the ziptie is pointed up into the air) and other things sticking off the top of their helmet, to try and replicate the "echidna effect" to help repel magpies. Not sure how effective that really is but well, desperate times require desperate measures

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Sorry about the atrocious lighting, but has anyone else had this issue before, with their Viofo A119 V2? :confused: I assume I'll need to log a warranty job (and I'm making another assumption by thinking their warranty is at least two years. Couldn't find any info online, on that topic) but I thought I'd check here, in case it's a known issue I can work around somehow, like via a factory reset.

I only noticed it tonight, but it definitely wasn't occurring last night. I can't confirm if it's actually recording or not yet, as I don't have an SD card reader right now. Although the time, etc. is all correct information. I powercycled it to see when this issue starts occurring, and found that it's immediately after the "VIOFO" logo appears and after making its start-up chime.
Pretty concerning though, considering I think I've only had this for around a year and a half from memory.

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Sep 26, 2019

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
drat, that's a shame. :( I was hoping I could get at least a couple of years out of it. I'm sure I remember reading in here that other Viofo dashcams lasted a good amount of time - is that the case, or am I mis-remembering? Since I do like the camera, so I'm tempted to just buy the same thing again. But if they die every 12-18 months, I'm probably going to have to consider other options...

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Lone Goat posted:

i literally just had this happen, here's the instructions i received and it worked just fine:

This problem can be resolved by refreshing the camera firmware:
1. Make sure to use a high-quality class 10 memory card, download the guiformat2 from the link below to format the SD card as FAT32:
https://support.viofo.com/a/solutions/articles/19000046583
2. Copy the FWA119S.bin on the root of the card (use the card reader)
Do not change the file name, otherwise, the camera won't recognize it.
3. Insert the SD card into your camera
4. Use the original long charging cable and connect the camera with the computer or power bank which have 5V2A output for stable power input.
You will see the front red LED blinking.

Normally after refreshing the firmware, the .bin file will be deleted automatically. If not, the refresh process not start. Please follow the instruction to refresh the firmware again.

Oh, good! I was hoping it would be an issue with the firmware, but I couldn't find anything when I looked online earlier. Thanks - I'll give it a go!

EDIT: Yep, works like a charm, now. Just needed to reset the date and time, and it's fine. Thanks!

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Sep 28, 2019

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

MrOnBicycle posted:

I've had a dashcam for 6 months and haven't seen anything worth saving.

Volguus posted:

You don't want to either.

Yep! I've had mine for 3-4 years now, and the only 'interesting' thing I've seen is the driver in the car in front of me cracking open their door to have a quick vomit, while waiting at lights. Before getting a dashcam though, stupid things were happening all the time!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Heners_UK posted:

All of this is going into my folder of evidence that dashcams keep trouble away.

Oh yeah, absolutely! :D "A recorded car never crashes", just like the old saying about kettles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Heeey, the Chicken Chef at 1:58 is near my place! I can indeed confirm that there are many idiots at that turn, plus the turn before it (not shown) :D