Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

This guy didn't really give out any 'moron' vibes...

No. loving. Blinker.

I wish I still had the dashcam footage from when I was testing my then-new GoPro. A bus plowing over a curb, a guy cutting in front of me with about 2 inches between bumpers, and a lady walking INTO the side of a stopped car at a intersection. All in two drives totally less than 30 min.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

bolind posted:

I have never understood the frequency of red-light running you guys in the US seem to have to deal with...
It's interesting, moving from one area of the US to another and seeing what's common. I moved from Maryland (where nobody uses their turn signals EVER and tailgating is normal) to NC (where everyone runs stops signs and red lights). In MD< I blame the lack of turn signals on the fact that traffic is tight and people are self-absorbed, using a turn signal often ends is someone trying to speed up so you can't get over, compared to here in NC in which a turn signal is usually met by someone leaving a gap. In MD, tailgating is common because traffic is often so heavy that leaving any space whatsoever just isn't viable. But in NC I blame the red-light-running phenomena on the fact that the lights are too long - I don't think the traffic engineers in the area quite GET the fact you shouldn't have to wait literally 6 minutes at a 4-lane-by-4-lane intersection.

Bajaha posted:

This popped up on facebook this morning, dashcam footage of a t-bone crash.

Looks like the guy pulling the trailer was talking on a cellphone as he pulled out, both drivers are lucky to be alive.

The reactions in this video are delightfully stereotypically Canadian.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 6, 2014

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Craptacular posted:

If the annoyance of being talked down to is greater to you than the annoyance of paying a traffic ticket, then I'd argue the cop made the right choice. The more you dislike the punishment, then the less likely you're going to roll though a stop sign in the future, right?

?? People break traffic laws because they believe they're not gonna get caught, most of the time. Not because the punishment is a pleasure cruise.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Dick Trauma posted:

I thought this was going to turn into one of those deranged Cyriak videos.

31 bike cops, out for a parade ride?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
So, what's the current go-to for reliable dashcams? Mobius?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

18 Character Limit posted:

Swearing Terabytes in Realtime

New thread title?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
TBH I notice several of those Aus dashcam videos feature roundabouts with arrows showing turning against the traffic direction of the circle. Such as the aforementioned 3:15 and one at 8:38. It's a bit confusing to my non-Aussie eyes.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 23, 2019

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Nitrox posted:

not sure if it's a YouTube problem, or me watching this on the phone, but that doesn't look like 1080p it's claiming to be. Can you read license plates of cars directly in front? Try the IR settings

4K of bad-sensor, bad-optics recording may have 4K of pixels but can still look like blurry garbage.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

LloydDobler posted:

That video is infuriating me simply due to how unnecessary it all was. Subaru is so unaware that not only do they not know they're enraging someone behind them, they also don't see the brake check coming that was telegraphed from a mile away.

Naw. Subaru was doing it on purpose. As hypnophant said,

hypnophant posted:

He also starts accelerating to cut the other driver off as soon as the car behind makes a move to pass, so, gently caress that guy

Also, this is the shorta poo poo dashcams are made for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Nitrox posted:

Doesn't BMW cover all the service items for the first three years or something like that?

They started doing it when cars coming back after a 3-year lease were basically unsellable, with zero maintenance performed by the "owners". Of course, when your oil change cost $300, and your leasing demographic shops by monthly payment amount, it was guaranteed to happen. Everything about German "luxury brands" is terrible with money.

In the 90s, Korean automobile brands were seen in the US as like 70s Honda - cheap, poor initial quality, and poor reliability. They fought that in the early naughties by introducing the 10 year/100,000 mile warranty. Around that time, the consumer automotive industry started focusing on Total Cost of Ownership; German brands, with their high maintenance costs and running costs, were having a hard time stacking up. A $50K BMW which cost $15K to maintain and run for three years didn't seem so hot compared to a similarly-equipped $52K Toyota with $8K in maintenance over the same period. In order to reduce that TCO figure and appeal more to cost-conscious consumers; BMW, Mercedes, and eventually other brands, began introducing maintenance included for a set period (often 3 years) after initial purchase. A desire by those brands to make even more profit resulted in maintenance items that previously had been included in the manufacturer's suggested maint. schedule were no longer included. This has led to the "lifetime" coolant, "lifetime" transmission fluid, "lifetime" brake fluid, so on and so forth.

I'm pretty sure BMW did not lengthen maintenance intervals and introduce an included maintenance plan to raise the value of leased vehicles in the 90s/00s because they didn't have a pre-owned warranty program and tended to try to ignore the existence of used BMWs entirely. It wasn't until after the CPO program was introduced that the maintenance warranty became a thing.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 25, 2020