Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fire Storm posted:

Saw the Cobra CDR-840 on sale for $80 at Costco and it looks good but wanted a second opinion. Half my driving is night driving on a very brightly lit freeway (the new section of I96 in Livonia for Michigoons).

The camera seems good (have one for my wife's car) but it's seen very little use because the suction cup is garbage. I think I've got a line on a mount that will be both much more solid and tuck it up closer to the windshield, I just need to measure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

:sigh::hf::sigh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZUMDDAS5QE

loving snowbirds.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Locator posted:

This video is private.

Goddamnit, I keep forgetting that. Fixed.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Here in AZ, it's actually legal to make a U on red at many intersections - the kicker is you need to be able to do so without entering the actual intersection itself. Crosswalks are okay, as long as they're not otherwise occupied. They only count the actual area where different directions of traffic use the same pavement as the intersection.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

For what it's worth, this mount does fit the Cobra CDR 840 almost perfectly. However, it is limited in angle adjustment, and will work better if you have a windshield sloped far back and not standing up. You could get some more angle out of it by trimming it, but I think I can make it work fine for my CR-V without it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Mine is the next gen, 2013. I still haven't finished hardwiring it. I thought about tapping the lights up there but I can't seem to find any reliable documentation on how to remove the panel. I have an add-a-fuse installed and a long-rear end USB cable, along with a replacement for the non-reusable clip for the A-pillar. It's basically how they do the dealer-installed Homelink mirror upgrade.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Another episode of "old fucks can't drive". Watching this again I could've been on the brakes a bit sooner but it sure did look like he was trying to turn right into the lane to my right, not cut across traffic. Camera didn't catch it but he looked confused as hell as to why I was panic stopping / honking / swearing loudly at him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjhxgDb6bms

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Considering that the last time I watched someone else blow a tire at 60MPH, they stomped on the brakes (and presumably sawed at the wheel) hard enough to do a 180 in their lane and grind against the center divider for a while, I'd say that went well.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, I like how in the caravan video you start off coming around a curve, possibly meaning there was no way the guy could've seen you before he started that turn into the road.

The first one is lovely, but at the same time, you've posted enough of them to prove that it's a regular thing and clearly something you're used to because you are not currently embedded in the grille of a logging truck. The attitude may be "gently caress you I'm a truck" but insisting on legally right may end with you very much dead.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, I like how in the caravan video you start off coming around a curve, possibly meaning there was no way the guy could've seen you before he started that turn into the road.

Now that I'm on a computer...yeah, at the very start of that video, you can't see him and there's no way he can see you. By the time you see him he's already halfway across the road. How fast do you want him to take that turn into (if I'm reading that sign at the end right) a 40 km/h road that has curbside non-parallel parking that you drove through?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm going to go with "drunk or otherwise not competent", given that they also seem to have no lights on.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Godholio posted:

That depends on the road.

Agreed, but I think a road where you have on street angled parking like that is one where you should expect slow / stopped traffic. The video makes it look like the caravan is making a right turn onto the road, and another right off of it... But how would this have been a better situation if someone was pulling into or out of those parking spaces instead of hauling a caravan around?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

While I'd hope you would never have a "blind curve" on an interstate, there's no way you can realistically drive on one outside of rush hour where you'd be able to avoid obliterating some idiot who decides to run into traffic.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Nondescript Van posted:

Not a hit a run. He was pretty dazed. No injuries, cops were there in a few minutes, witnesses gave statements so cops didn't even need to look at the video. Car was totaled since it was an 07 pontiac g5 so now I have a better car.

I think your friend did you a favor.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

How the gently caress did they pull that one off?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

There's an Aukey dashcam that's been on sale on Amazon the past few days that looks really interesting, especially in that it actually has separate +12V lines for always-hot and switched, and ditches the screen for a wifi app.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Negromancer posted:

I assume you are referencing this one? I just saw that last night and was thinking about picking one up for my miata.

That's the one, lifehacker has a coupon code to knock it down to around $57 I think. Looks super interesting and I've been happy with every Aukey product I've bought so far.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

EightBit posted:

:aaaaa: lightning knocks the lights out and people assume it's a free-for-all? It's supposed to be treated like a stop-sign controlled intersection, you twats.

Well, he was stopped, so what else did he need to do?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

MiniFoo posted:

Nah, I'm thinking this is more appropriate.

Made it less than 10 seconds. :shepicide:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Oh I remember all too well.

There might be a reason the only Mario game I ever go back to is the original Super Mario World.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Locator posted:

I'm going to assume that this was some sort of an attempt at insurance fraud by this car driver, but holy crap what a terrible idea.

This is actually sort of an ad for the dash cam company, but it's pretty amazing to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQR5RC-NiQk

Given the drift wide at first, I'll say they just freaked the gently caress out and overcorrected when they started on the rumble strip.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Dual-lock does wear out eventually. I used it for a while to hold a transponder in my RC cars (one transponder, three cars) and eventually wore it out after a few months of racing.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I haven't had VHB fail me yet, but I can't recall if I switched to the VHB mount either before or after last summer.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Techmoan: came for the dash cam reviews, stayed for the British Muppets.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Warning, G1W with lovely mount. Also, a combination of multiple lovely drivers who are too busy looking everywhere but the traffic signal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfWeVUNn1Ys

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Of course the Lexus comes to a complete stop and lays on their horn. :argh:

I'm fairly sure the other horns you hear (aside from mine) are the other two cars going the same direction as me.

Of course, one of them was that fuckwit in the middle lane who was sitting still on a green, which contributed to the Lexus driver's full on idiocy.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted:

They probably want to sell used cars for current prices without having to brig them up to an inspectable standard first.

I was going to say the exact same thing. No inspection standards means less work rehabbing trade-ins.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I kinda wish there was a dashcam that would connect to the wifi when I get home and upload everything to my fileserver :v:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Platystemon posted:

You mean that there are dashcams with wifi and that’s not what they use it for? :psyduck:

Every one I've seen with wifi on Techmoan's channel just seems to use it to connect to a smartphone app, along the lines of a Gopro or drone wifi. It acts as an AP, not as a client.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

spog posted:

https://techinternets.com/copy_calc?do - have a play with the numbers, but you aren't going to dump an entire card in a hurry.

Also, I am jealous if you have wifi in your garage.

Don't be. My house is small, so I can cover the entire drat thing with one AP stuck high up in the garage.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Either or, I'm very interested

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That's a weird intersection, I've never seen one where left-turners are not guided into the leftmost lanes of the road they're turning into. With that said, fuckstick turning right could've easily done that as long as they actually planned to stay in their lane instead of running into yours.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Oh yeah, I'm agreeing with you - right on red guy should've waited until you were past either way.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

My G1Wc looks like that, the case just plain gets murdered by the heat even without a battery swelling inside.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

nm posted:

I researched this. The c model has programming that shuts the camera and saves your data faster. Apparently, a batteey model with the cap shuts down too slow and still corrupts the data. I guess you could get a bigger cap, but they're so cheap I'd just buy a whole new camera.

It's supposed to do that, but it doesn't always work very well.

Replacing a G1W is always The Right Choice now that they've had a few years on them.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Google Maps went from damned reliable to a goofy pile of crap over the past year. I've been sitting, say, in the parking lot of my destination, and it shows me pretty much on the pin, but wants me to drive out of the parking lot, around the block, come back, and take a different entrance into the parking lot.

It does this for me if I ever have it navigate me to work, and even wants me to take a different freeway exit a mile away because of it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Shere posted:

On Saturday I was waiting in the left turn lane at a green light for traffic to clear in the oncoming lanes so I could make my turn. At the tail end of the oncoming traffic was this red Tesla that began moving into her right turn lane. She comes to the corner, at a green light, stops, and waves at me to go. What in the actual gently caress? Who taught you to drive?

I've only started experiencing this in the last year or two and it's maddening as gently caress. There seems to be some critical misunderstanding that right of way exists only to be polite, and not because it dictates proper flow.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The supercap is generally only sized long enough to power the camera down safely when it loses power - i.e. a handful of seconds. You want the camera powered anytime you want it recording.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Holy gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

nm posted:

Only Australians should leave their mics on. I get so made when I watch an aussie dash cam without sound, they do the best cursing.

Checks out.