Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Pretty sure there's no law against that, and I do poo poo like that all the time, in traffic.

Also, what the hell were you listening to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Knobjockey posted:

Found this gem in related videos - Professor Brian Cox witnesses that rarest of natural phenomena - "a fuckin' knobhead" brake testing a police car. :nws: for some of the terminology used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyccuJcjDJo

He needs to narrate ... Everything.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Are any of the dashcams on DealExtreme worth getting? I'm mostly asking because I want one and I'm placing an order with them, but if it's not worth it over the amazon/ebay ones, I won't do it.

Edit: Looks like there's a G1W on there (http://dx.com/p/blackview-g1w-hd-1080p-2-7-tft-wide-angle-car-dvr-w-ir-night-vision-mini-hdmi-brown-black-219935), but I don't know if it's the same.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 25, 2014

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Yeah, I don't see anything wrong with that. He stayed in the lane until it forced him to merge, then he merged.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Will the Mobius lock files if impact is detected?

I really like it's feature set, but I feel like that's a must have because I'm concerned I might forget to stop the camera if something like that happens.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

The truck lady's name was released and judging from her Facebook she looks like the kind of person who would attempt murder. The neck tattoo of her own name isn't doing her any favors.
I'm thinking "Shannon" is the chinless wife.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Will the mobius definitely not work with >32GB cards?

I bought one on eBay today, and picked up a couple of sandisk class 10 64GB cards a couple of weeks ago. It's not the end of the world if they won't work, but I was liking the idea of having a ton of storage.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

The Locator posted:

So this happened on the way home tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w2meSqppE4

Dumbass.
So, as dumb as that guy is, Chevy Equinoxes aren't exactly blazing fast accelerating vehicles. So maybe check your mirrors next time.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

The Locator posted:

If you watch the beginning, you'll see I am pulling over after passing a completely different large pickup truck. The Chevy started his lane change (I saw him perfectly fine in my mirror, thank you) when I was about exactly splitting the lanes. You can clearly hear my turn-signal in the video starting before I began my lane change, so yea. gently caress off.
First off, that's ... quite a nice way to end a post. Thanks for that.

Second, arguments about who started the lane change first, etc, are really moot in the face of this: You willfully pulled out in front of a vehicle going much faster than you. You're not the speed police (which I guess is just the regular police, but still). Don't cause an accident because "you're right". You're just opening yourself up to "also being injured", which being "right" is not worth.

The Locator posted:

I-10 west of Phoenix. I was doing about 80, and I was getting over because the next exit was mine, not because those guys in the left lane were going slow (they were probably doing just over 75).
... Followed by an admission that you were just chilling in the left lane with the right wide open. Man, I love it when people do that.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Coredump posted:

Why are you trying to make an argument out of this? He moved into the right lane as soon as he cleared the pickup truck to his right. Plus he was passing traffic on the right AND keeping up with the pace of traffic in the left.
I'm not "trying to make an argument" out of anything - he pulled a stupid driving move, and that's never been what Automotive Insanity is about.

Coredump posted:

Where do you get the right lane was wide open? Did you not see the big truck he passed?

The Locator posted:

I-10 west of Phoenix. I was doing about 80, and I was getting over because the next exit was mine, not because those guys in the left lane were going slow (they were probably doing just over 75).

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Kazy posted:

I thought the guy was passing the big truck on the right, but he was behind you at first? Geez.

Is this gif accurate? (besides the shapes touching)

That's how I understand it.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Coredump posted:

Krakkle yes or no, do you see a big truck in the right lane at the start of his video?
:rolleyes:

Coredum yes or no, do you think a Chevy Equinox can accelerate from 80-(95? 100?) entirely on the shoulder in the timespan shown on video?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Coredump posted:

Answer the question. Yes or no do you see the truck in the right lane. Because you're saying that the right lane is wide open depends on that. But heck, lets go with your version of events. So you're saying the Equinox can't accelerate that fast right? Okay I'm with you so far. That would mean that The Locator was moving into the right lane, out of the way of the faster approaching vehicle as soon as he had a chance? Which is exactly what you're supposed to do? Right?
Or, as I said earlier, he pulled in front of a faster moving vehicle.

Pulling out into the only gap a faster moving vehicle could possibly choose is just as dangerous as pulling into the lane it's already occupying. (If not more dangerous, because now two drivers are changing lanes, something they're generally pretty bad at doing safely.)

The equinox driver should've braked (or, frankly, slowed the hell down in general), but the guy who posted the video did something pretty dumb too.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

The Locator posted:

So I understand now, I should have somehow predicted that he would want to be in the right lane in front of the Dodge, and never begun to make my own lane change.

So my failure here was in my lack of mind reading ability, ...
So, you've already said that you had already observed the Equinox coming up behind you at a faster speed than you, and you definitely knew there was traffic in front of you in the left lane. Additionally, you knew that the Dodge was in the right lane.

What did you THINK the Equinox was going to do?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

thelightguy posted:

Drive like a responsible human being and remain in his goddamn lane.
Those aren't particularly reasonable expectations, which I suppose is the root point of everything I've said.

Coredump posted:

Wait, so you said there is traffic in front of him. AND you say there is traffic to his right. If this is the case wouldn't the Equinox have no where to go and need to get on the brakes anyways? Plus The Locator said earlier he began his lane change BEFORE the Equinox did. As in he was getting out of the way of the faster vehicle. At this point its time to start peeing in the well.

:allears:
So, do you think that no lane can be identified as "wide open" unless there are no vehicles anywhere within the contiguous extent of the possible paths a driver can possibly select?

It was wide open, after he passed the Dodge.

Your other arguments are similarly limited in vision.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

drukqs posted:

There are exhaust systems out there for this engine/this car that don't drone at all or... at least not as badly but... They're significantly more expensive, and I think they are FAR too quiet and muffled.
This train of thought isn't surprising, given you rev your engine at Lamborghinis. And for no reason, at random, apparently.

nm posted:

Yes, and for some reason that just might apply to a dashcam. . . .
I don't allow people who would take legal issue with my dashcam recording audio in my cars.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jun 19, 2015

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I'd like to buy my brother a dash cam as a gift. That Lukas LK-7900 looks great, but it's around $500 in Canada. Is there a generally recommended cam that would cost in the ballpark of $100-200?

Mobius ActionCam.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

By "attempts to" do you mean "completely succeeds in his attempts to"?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Kind of a weak start, but I finally got my dashcam setup in one vehicle - have to mount on in the other, but now that I've made the mounts, that part is easy. Only decent clip today was some ingenious maneuvering in order to make their exit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6DyNFcRjA8

(Personally, I've always been more the "keep going and circle back" type.)

Also, jeep drivetrain vibrations have HILARIOUS effects on video output.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Oh, I forgot one!

Classic BMW drivering:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVFFlpJXccs

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Wickerman posted:

That's an interesting decal on your hood.
Thank you.

spog posted:

I like the Roadrunner 'meep meep'

NoWake posted:

It sounds like he's acquiring missile lock on the BMW
I realized pretty early that most of my dashcam videos would probably feature that sound - the mount for my dashcam attaches to the mount for it. I'm cool with it, but I know it's not for everyone.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

PT6A posted:

What is it? A radar detector?
Yeah, sorry. Valentine One mounted with a BlendMount under the rear view.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

two_beer_bishes posted:

Thanks, I'll give that a shot!
Mine is mounted via a bracket attached to my rear view and the only issue with vibration is my Jeep's ongoing attempts to kill me. If your car doesn't vibrate above 55, it'll work fine.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Takes No Damage posted:

I crossposted in the Schadenfreude thread and holy poo poo goons hate A Silver Mt. Zion :stare:
Is that the lovely music that was playing, then?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

two_beer_bishes posted:

This is what I ended up getting. Got it all wired up today, mounted the camera behind the rear view mirror, went to plus the power cable in and the goddamn mirror is blocking it! I had to use my interior panel pry tools to pry the glued mount from the glass then I used the velcro the camera came with to attach the mount to the glass. I'm happy and done though, except I just need to figure out a way to keep the wires in place along the side and the headliner!
Tuck them behind the headliner and side trim. The pry tool you mentioned is perfect for this, and it's easier than it looks.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Sir Tonk posted:

Too bad we don't live in the world of Demolition Man where everyone gets a ticket the second they break any traffic law at all. I'm sure everyone would be much happier.
Sadly, we do live in the world where dipshits like you will justify that they can do what they want and continue to do what they want, regardless of who it inconveniences or places in harms way.

It doesn't make assholes like the guy in the truck less wrong (throwing poo poo doesn't solve anything and it's dangerous too), but it makes me a lot less mad at them.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Well, I ride a motorcycle, so the camera is on my helmet...and I can imagine that if I got into any incidents, there'd be words exchanged. Would a lawyer be able to argue that because I recorded the person screaming at me without their consent, the evidence is inadmissible on a technicality? Does being out on a public highway excuse the requirement? Would drawing the person's attention to the camera change anything?
Why wouldn't you simply strip out the audio before attempting to admit it into evidence?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

I assumed that would be called "tampering with evidence."

:lol:

Yeah, ask nm.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

nm posted:

California law (VC26708) technically requires that a "video event recorder" have a notice that audio will be recorded.
Technically under PC632, recording audio with two or more parties without consent when one party intends the conversation to be confidential is a crime and makes it inadmissible.
I suspect that stripping out the audio would fix the problems, but I'd have to do research on that.

Generally, my advice in cars is to turn off the audio. I don't generally see the utility, but I guess the other party might confess everything.
With motorcycles, I suspect it matters less as that is all in public and no one would have a reasonable expectation of privacy. Just turn it off before you go inside.

After getting hit by a loving car (and being "lucky" enough to be hit in front of a bar with a poo poo ton of cameras), I'm getting a helmet cam for my bike and leaving audio on. Any recommendations for a cheap and light helmet cam? Battery life need not be that extraordinary.
Old gen GoPro? The new ones are $400, I can't imagine any of the old ones are holding that much value.

Also, this has been getting picked up by a lot of people for similar purposes in PYF:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JFMT1RM

Chinese GoPro knockoff.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Nov 19, 2015

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

SeņorMisterioso posted:

Just checked on my Mobius Dash cam today and it has been chugging along just fine for about the last 3 months. Doesn't seem to have any issues with loop recording.
Mine had a problem when I didn't drive my car for a few weeks (and presumably the cap died). I'm pretty sure resetting it with the tool would resolve it.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

How the hell does it "depend on the road"? It's literally called the "basic speed law" in California and it completely makes sense.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I agree, Sagebrush.

You're always going to be able to construct some scenario to justify, in some sense, statements like "it depends on the road" (and whether or not there's a guy jumping off an overpass to commit suicide, or a kid playing in traffic, or fallout-esque armageddon scenarios, or ...), but it's extremely short-sighted to try to use that to justify a general case, or, for example, "that caravan was totally in the wrong because there's nothing I could've done because of the road, man".

Cartoon could've stood on the brakes as soon as he saw it - or poo poo, tickled them a little, he didn't have to stand on them - and that whole thing would've been a non-issue. It certainly wasn't worth posting, and it pretty clearly shows poor decision making and driving skills. Not to mention a pretty serious anger problem.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Nitrox posted:

Also, is there a function to turn the lens 90°? Because on a bike helmet it'll likely get mounted on the side
There is.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Delete this, now.

You're not doing yourself any favors by what you say, and he's certainly at fault.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

NoWake posted:

This stuff is pretty nice, 3M's Dual Lock. Adhesive behind the strip sticks incredibly solid to glass as well as the dot strip sections of windshields, not sure about molded plastic though. I pop my EZ pass from car to car all the time and it doesn't seem any worse for wear. The barbs are big enough that I doubt they'd clog up too readily.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002DZJQ0A
Works great on molded plastic, I have used this in several places for my Jeep.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

totalnewbie posted:

Part of "stunned" but normal people easily take a few seconds to just sit and process what happened, look at the injured people, assess whether or not they need help, etc.

What was that loud noise? Where is it? Is the guy getting up? Can I just saunter over or should I run? Is it serious enough to call emergency services?

All these thoughts take small increments of time that add up, plus the aforementioned physical actions.
You're absolutely right. Potential perspective on the comment (I don't know if bolind is like this, but ...):

"Non-normal" people don't take this long. The times in recent memory I've seen a serious accident, I had evaluated the situation and begun running toward it before the car(s) stopped rolling. It's something that different people handle markedly differently, and if one were to have one perspective, look at (and to some extent, fail to understand) the other, it can be remarkable.

Not saying either is right or wrong, certainly not trying to toot my own horn, but it is something I've observed through my own experience. I had the same thought as him a long time ago, and simply evaluated it as "Oh yeah, not everyone is like this".

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

That's a point that comes up frequently with this, but you need to bear in mind: If you're recording audio, you always have the option of deleting the audio before attempting to submit as evidence. If you're not recording audio, you don't have the option of adding it back. There are certainly conversations you could record that you would need/want to remove, but there are more often conversations (or auditory events) that you would want to capture - yourself reading a license plate number, screeching tires, etc.

I cannot imagine a scenario where a cop, however, is going to go "Wait, you're recording audio? DID YOU GET CONSENT?".

It's a question that gets asked when something is submitted into evidence in court, not something that traffic officers concern themselves with.

wolrah posted:

One could imagine an overzealous prosecutor or opposing lawyer finding this out and accusing you of tampering with the evidence, which would be technically correct.
Maybe, but that's why you keep both copies. If it comes down to it, you could certainly refute this with "here's the unedited version, but the court will require the other because there was no consent obtained."

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 28, 2016

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Laserface posted:

Audio does have the potential to change the context of the accident, like that guy yelling DO IT to that truck that was merging on the highway. omitting the audio makes it much less obvious that he is fully aware of the truck and what is potentially going to happen.
Easy answer: Don't do dumb poo poo like that.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

nm posted:

In California, I would actually worry about the admissibility of video with audio without the posted notices required by the vehicle code. My gut (having not done any real research) says it would probably get in, with the audio stripped but why take a chance? California has very strict wiretapping laws, which I would argue are even stronger re: dashcams, and both criminal prosecution (which won't happen unless a passenger complains) and suppression are remedies.
You're right, but the law also says it can only record 30seconds before and after a triggering event, so having any video that doesn't meet that definition at all could be arguable. Which would be most dashcams - ones that meet this definition are certainly available, but most of the cams people in this thread are using don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

nm posted:

That part of the dashcam law is less troubling because only only wiretapping leads to supression. With an explict notice provision, there is an arguemnt that not following that is wiretappiong.
You don't have the same arguement with recording too long because video without audio is not wiretapping.
You might get it in, you might not. I'd rather have no audio at all than risk an admissability fight. You're welcome to do what you want but as a private person who happens to have a bar card, that's the choice I've made.
Makes sense. These are the things that are not clear to laymen!