Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
If the Mobius came with GPS, I'd already own several. I want something that size with in-built GPS... I keep eyeing the Mini0805, but the quality isn't there, and I don't really want the distraction of the screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Christobevii3 posted:

I have a mini 0803 and only issue I have is every now and then it locks up when turning the car on. I think if I put a capacitor in between it would help with the voltage sag of starting the car. It isn't very common though with hard wire kit. Also, you can turn the screen off on a 1, 3, and 5 minute interval I believe. I have mine set for 1 minute to shut the screen off and auto start with motion.

Yeah, I've seen your sample videos. How clear are license plates in front? Both your videos have no cars in front of you.

Any pics of how you mounted it?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Bovril Delight posted:

FWIW I've had a Mini 0801 for over 2 years mounted constantly in Texas. I was expecting the heat to kill it, but it keeps trucking. Every once in awhile (once a month maybe?) it doesn't turn on but it's easy to look at the LED and see the status. If you mount it behind the rear view you can't even see the screen.

How's the GPS? I've read that the coordinates are reversed. Can you overlay the GPS coordinates on-screen?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Christobevii3 posted:

I just ran the cable through the A-pillar, into the roof liner, and down by my rear view mirror. I have it behind my rear view mirror so I don't really see it. When my gf gets back later I have some night video going to the airport I can throw up. We don't have front license plates here but you can get an idea.

Mounting is similar to this persons.

Thanks, that's a much better photo than most. I think I can hide it behind the OnStar mirror on my truck. The mount houses the GPS receiver, right? I'm more concerned with people in front of me's plates, not oncoming.

\/\/ You can usually tap the power from the mirror, if you have a fancy-type mirror.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 10, 2016

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

IOwnCalculus posted:

The attitude may be "gently caress you I'm a truck" but insisting on legally right may end with you very much dead.

This is like the rule of the sea. We call it the rule of Gross Tonnage. It doesn't matter if you're a WAFI (Wind Assisted loving Idiot, AKA sailboat), on a windward port tack, the 300T Tug and 160' Barge combo isn't going to change course, even if they technically have room. It's the same with OTR and Offroad trucks, and anyone towing. They can't always wait until the coast is entirely clear, and you had plenty of time to slow. I love your double-swerve move too... cute.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Krakkles posted:

I'm not saying YOU interpreted this wrong, but the way you stated here is unclear.

#1 on this list is the least likely to have collisions, #200 is most likely (of these 200). DC was 197th.

So it made the list of best places, but it was very low on the list.

Better Than Boston (R)(C)

200TH, baby! Dead loving last.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

LongSack posted:

I put a Dod Tech DOD-LS470W in my new mustang, with a rear view mirror mount and a hard wire kit. The guy who did the hard wire install said that the mustang doesn't have any switched connections, so the cam is always powered, and I have the remember to turn it off.

Assuming I forget to turn it off, how bad a drain on the battery would it be? I'm not terribly worried about leaving it run when I do groceries, or whatever, but since I work out of my house I don't have a daily commute and it can be days between outings.

Your installer is a moron. No mass market car built in the past 20 years has direct battery power to everything. There are dozens of circuits that are switched.

Your camera probably draws 5 to 10W, depending on the screen and whatnot. It wouldn't kill a good battery overnight, but probably would of left over a weekend.

: Edit: it comes with a 1A 5v power supply, which would max out at 5W. So it draws less than that.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Feb 5, 2017

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
It's a Lorena Bobbitt theme park.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

echomadman posted:

Had a close call on the way home today. I don't think the guy even realised.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjfp8ASf9Ec

What's the limit on that road? With no visibility, it certainly seemed like you were going faster than it would be prudent to be going... I know dashcams can distort things, but...

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

No but you did kinda drive like an rear end and potentially caused the "issues" in the video.

Wanna be with ya on that one, but can't :(

New avvy day is always a good day though :yayclod:

At the center of every dark cloud is a silver lining.

And passive aggressive driving.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Cage posted:

Thanks Ill check it out.

Krakkles what dashcam do you use? :v:

I just bought 2 A118C's for $55/each, 2x Sandisk HighEndurance 64GB Cards, and 2x remote wiring kits from Amazon for like $90. I already installed one in my Fit, and the wife's is next in the queue. $150 for both cars isn't bad.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Cage posted:

Did you get a 'real' one? Can you link me to the one you picked up?

I bought them from Adorama, seem legit...

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Cage posted:

Thanks for the link :v:

This one popped up for sale:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...35T49463&cm_sp=
I was on my phone...
Google: "Adorama A118C" takes you to the product page. I wouldn't buy one from a dodgy 3rd party NewEgg Seller.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

EightBit posted:

GPS speed can be inaccurate too, to the point where I wouldn't be surprised if juries could be instructed to ignore GPS speed in a recording.

The problem is: juries don't decide these sorts of things very much. It's usually insurance companies, who don't have to follow any logical set of rules. I've seen several instances of the insurance company willfully ignoring obvious dashcam footage of what happened when assigning fault.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

wolrah posted:

My G1W does the same thing, though it usually bootloops if that happens rather than just refusing to start. I hear the jingle repeatedly until I unplug it for a minute.

My A118C does a similar thing. If I don't let it boot up fully when I let the glow plugs cycle in my truck, it'll turn off when I turn the key, but won't power back on. Just gotta remember that in the winter, it's fine in the summer.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

IOwnCalculus posted:

Holy gently caress.

Yeah, I love the jog to the edge of the road. Gotta get some distance from your near demise.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Zero VGS posted:

I found the camera mount in my helmet packaging, it is literally a break-away GoPro mount for the top of the helmet. So apparently Bell thinks it is safe enough (I mean, looks like 2% chance to hit that area and it pops away anyways)?

I guess if the only "safer" options are to use the top-of-the-head-breakaway or just handlebar-mount it, I'd probably go with handlebars because the helmet sounds like it would have atrocious aerodynamics.

For what it's worth the couple of times I've wiped on a bicycle it's been jaw/cheeks area, which is why I sprung for the chin-guard helmet. The Bell 3R was designed in a way that I still have 100% visibility; I can't see the chinguard or sides of the helmet in my peripheral at all.

edit: Also, I'm a Boston bike commuter, if we're going by common bike deaths in this area, then the camera/helmet won't factor much when the city bus runs over my skull.

Or a semi. On Mass Ave.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Hey, I get to contribute.
Agreed, I was going to be close on the light, but the oncoming guy was at the same point that I was. No harm, no foul... but stop lights aren't stop signs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hndMmx39R2c

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Yup, I was definitely in the wrong, but he moved long before his light turned green. Even with zero delay, he was moving when the light was still yellow on my side. Again, no harm, no foul, but he definitely was in the intersection when his light was red.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Sagebrush posted:

The camera didn't capture the colors very well yes but i have literally never seen a stoplight with green on top. Even the sideways ones seem to be going out of fashion. Where do you live?

So were you, so let's just agree that you're both terrible drivers.

I'd prefer to word it we both made a mistake. If I did this regularly, then sure. My driving record says otherwise. Been driving 20 years, been in 1 at-fault accident when I was 19. One speeding ticket when I was 20, and nothing since then.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Leperflesh posted:

I've accidentally run a red before too. It can happen, and it's everyone's responsibility to drive defensibly so that a small mistake by another driver is less likely to be fatal. I don't think Shakytm posted that video thinking he was faultless.

Jumping the green is probably more dangerous than running a fresh red, because when you run a fresh red, the other cars are presumably only just starting into the intersection, while jumping the green means pulling out in front of drivers who are at full speed - especially ones trying to squeeze through the yellow. But what is fully damning is the green jumper has a full and unobstructed view of sharkytm's approach. He is not only jumping the green, he's not looking to the side roads to see what may be coming.

Green-jumper is putting his side of the car into a side-impact. Sharktym is far less likely to take a fatal injury here. Purely from a defensive "try not to die while driving" standpoint, green-jumper is doing the worse thing.

Sharkytm's the one with the manslaughter charge in that fatal collision, though. So from the perspective of legal hazard... he's in much worse shape. Yikes.

Yup. And yes, hitting the throttle wasn't the right thing to do. The perspective is kinda odd, the camera is really high, etc... still my fault. He'd still be dead if I hit him square in the driver's door at 30mph. He wasn't trying to jump the light either, it was a tourist who did a stop & go.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Charles posted:

Yeah vans and trucks can have that for "upfitters"

Yep. All my GM trucks have had an unpopulated connector with all the commonly-needed rails available: ground, Batt +, ignition +, and the ever-popular RAP (Retained Accessory Power). I highly doubt a Mazda 3 has this functionality. Just put an Add-A-Fuse in on an ignition-switched fuse, and run the wire. It's relatively easy, safe, and removable.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

JediTalentAgent posted:

I've been looking at getting a new (used) car, but almost everything I see has always-on 12V power plugs and I don't want my dashcam to run 24/7 when the car is turned off and I forget to manually turn it on/off.

This might be more a car audio question, but has anyone had any experience with using the USB port on aftermarket radios to power a dash cam (presumably, they'd shut off when the car was stopped.) I think I can get around the USB/Dashcam having the problem of possibly treating the dashcam as a media storage device if I used a 'power only/no-data' USB cable.

sharkytm posted:

Just put an Add-A-Fuse in on an ignition-switched fuse, and run the wire. It's relatively easy, safe, and removable.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Krispy Wafer posted:

My Mobius dashcam is great except it can’t read license plates worth a drat. Are there any dash cams with good enough picture quality to pull plate numbers?

I had a situation where I needed to get the plate number off a dump truck and even right behind him I couldn’t read it clearly in full daylight.

Shout them out. That's what I do. It's become part of my dash cam routine.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

chrisgt posted:

I pretty much completely forget it's there and generally don't drive like an rear end in a top hat unless I'm in Massachusetts...

When in Rome...

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

JuffoWup posted:

Just throw it at the local news. Making it show up on local news about unsafe drop offs is a great way to embarrass people.

Yup, News/Twitter/FB shame them. That's ridiculous, and the school is legally not responsible for the parent's actions, but there's no way in hell a jury/judge isn't going to find them liable when a kid gets injured. Especially if people have warned them about it in the past.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
So... dashcam/insurance question.

I parked my car for 4 days at a park'n'fly hotel. Spent the night, then flew out the next morning. I returned and found that my driver's door had been damaged, but in an odd way. It was bent away from the body and there are scrapes on the back of the door, almost like someone pried the door open with a prybar. However, there are NO marks on the B-pillar or rear door's front edge. Cue up the dashcam video, and I catch the valet backing my car out of a spot with the door open, and slamming the door into the adjacent car's mirror. Thus the bent door with no damage elsewhere. The video isn't particularly clear, but you can see the car next to mine rock when my car stops, and you can hear the valet say "fuckin' door" after pulling forward and slamming the poo poo out of the door. I spoke to the hotel, who spoke to the valet company, and I sent them photos and the video (YouTube private). The owner of the valet company called and said he sees no wrongdoing. I've got an estimate, and it's $2k to repair the damage on my '07 Honda Fit. That might be enough damage to total the car. My concern here is that my insurance is going to be too apathetic to go after his insurance, and I'll end up with a comprehensive claim on my policy. Is it worth calling my insurance, filing a police report, and going after the valet company for gross negligence? I wouldn't have any problem if the car was vandalized or broken into, they're not liable for that, but this is their employee being a moron and not closing the door before backing out of a spot.

Also, I'm in MA, and recorded the audio. I have a sticker next to the dashcam that says the vehicle is subject to audio and video surveillance. The way I understand the law, I'm covered for audio inside the vehicle. The dashcam is not hidden, the screen lights up and makes noise when the car turns on, and the REC and MIC lights turn on when the camera starts recording. That's not secret recording IMHO.

Pictures: https://imgur.com/a/wT9JF8o
Video, sans audio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdaH4jIvhns Watch the reflection on the roof of the car to video left at 0:08 when my car stops. You can see the adjacent car rock. It's clearer in the non-YouTube video, their compression makes it much harder to see. Turn on close captions to see my version of events.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
I'm meeting with my insurance agent today. Initially for an unrelated matter, but I'll ask him about it. MA is weird, that's all I know.

I've got comprehensive with a $500 deductible. It only costs $63/year.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Vandalism can not be applied to the operator of a vehicle. Comprehensive has a list of things that make it a comp claim. Usually this is animal strikes, explosions, earthquakes, fire, vandalism, missiles/falling objects, riots, theft, hail/wind/flood.

UMPD also has a very specific definition of what the coverage entails. Usually this is damages sustained to the vehicle that the insured is entitled to recover from an operator of an uninsured motor vehicle. Your own car is specifically listed as not qualifying as an uninsured motor vehicle in the contract.

Collision is the catch all bucket.

They're filing it under collision. I started the claim today. My agent said it shouldn't affect my policy, the vehicle was not in my possession, and was under the possession of a commercial company. They'll cover the claim, then subrogate the company's insurance. Whatever... I'll see what the adjuster has to say when I talk to them.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Counterpoint: the audio on my dashcam just convinced my insurer that A: I wasn't driving, and B: that the valet did indeed hit another car while backing up with the door open. Video alone wasn't convincing. I also have taught myself to call out plate numbers whenever someone does something dumb. I'd recommend recording it, you can always strip it out later.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

IOwnCalculus posted:

The issue is that the interior of a car is not necessary public, as well as the fact that private things like phone calls can happen there.

Yeah. The other party can even sue over the recording.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Nitrox posted:

Also, this just happened

https://youtu.be/sYkPByLPMjg

Dipshit got a ticket when police showed up

Ummm... sure they were being an rear end in a top hat and cutting in, but you clearly had time to stop. That one's on you, ticket or not.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Nitrox posted:

Good news! I showed that video to the police at the scene and they chuckled at it. Then proceeded to ticket the other driver.

Congrats, you found an asshat cop. Shocking. Cop != judge/jury, as much as they think otherwise. Just admit you made a mistake. We've all been there. No need to turn in your license or other BS.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

A 5mph collision is not going to a judge and jury lmao

Thanks for taking my comment out of context. Clearly it's not going to court, I was referring to the cop not being the final word on fault in an accident. Show that video to either party's insurer, and I'm sure they'd see things differently. Anyhow...

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
If it's in the recorded files, it's probably a dead sensor. If not, it might be the LCD. Either way, the camera is hosed. Warranty is 1 year normally, IIRC, so time for an upgrade.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

JuffoWup posted:

A goon in world of tanks made me aware of these issues back in the day. Earlier vw beetle models from the 2000s had a funny story with their headlights. Cost like 1k to change because you needed to yank the motor out to have room to access the units.

Umm, nope. You had to pull the headlight out of the bumper, and it's about a 5 minute job to do both.

https://youtu.be/ALcVKiHmn9Q

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

CornHolio posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eOHlz0VKeI

I hate having to assume nobody around here knows how to use a roundabout, but it's saved me from several accidents.

Dude, I know your pain. There are two famous rotaries here on the Cape, and I'm regularly avoiding accidents on them. My favorite is people who signal and move into the inner lane of the rotary, then sweep to the outside, moving three loving lanes right to get off immediately. It's crazy making.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

CornHolio posted:

Oh I agree completely, I love roundabouts. I just with the people around here knew how to use them.

Same. I love them and it annoys me that Americans can't figure them out, they're often installed in non-round configurations, and Americans can't seem to figure out "yield". It doesn't help that the rules vary state to state. There are rotaries in Connecticut where vehicles entering have the right of way. :wtf:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Godzilla07 posted:

In the past 3 years, I've noticed more and more Floridian drivers believe it's legal to make a U-turn on a red light
https://i.imgur.com/g1Dti5I.mp4

What's the problem with this? They aren't going through the red light. They're not even entering the intersection.

/s if it isn't obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

You're not familiar with the "left on red if no one is coming" rule? Weird.

I've seen the same, but with "go straight even though it's red"... guess they didn't want to wait for the light.