Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I got the PowerUCC PanoramaII. It's more expensive but seems good quality and runs flawlessly unlike the Mini 0801 I got at first.

MoonCricket posted:

I too have been researching dash cams and I believe I will be going with the same model for a forward facing camera but there are still a few other interesting models out there and I haven't quite made up my mind. The dashcam market is quite a clusterfuck.

Has anyone thought of mounting a 2nd camera facing rearward also or will a front camera cover the vast majority of accidents where who is at fault is questioned? I have a pretty good idea for mounting a rear camera in my Tacoma but it will take a little fabrication and I'm just not sure if it would be worth it. I have an access cab and I have removed the rear seats for storage so I believe building a mount where the rear head rest once was will work just fine.

Also, on the various dashcam sites people seem to bring up the lack of sound quality as big issues for different cams. Is audio really that important in the event of an accident? I can see it being helpful if there was some road rage afterwards but I don't see how it would help to prove fault of the actual incident.

I'd like a rear one too but I'll have to wait a while. Don't really care about the audio quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Bovril Delight posted:

The typical contract has language requiring your cooperation, so yes, they can.

Anyways I bought a Mini 0801 http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2013/8/31/the-mini-0801-tiny-1080p-gps-car-camera-with-an-lcd-screen.html - should be here next week so I'll post a review.

I had one but returned it because it kept giving errors or just turning off randomly. Apparently the models that recorded the .ts format were much more stable but the newer ones that record .mov files have problems.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Gonna try for their one year warranty for the other one? Seems like it would make a good rear view cam if I could be sure to get a reliable one. :v:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Bajaha posted:

Anybody have any recommendations for a dashcam that can operate reliably in unbelievable cold? I'm talking temperatures of around -40*C (coincidentally -40*F) Would be nice to get one but with how low the temperatures get around here I'm thinking I'll have trouble finding one that'll be ok with it.

The lowest operating temperature I can find is -20C. I would ask on dashcamtalk.com. It seems like there are a lot of users in hotter countries like Australia but you can't be the only person to want to use it cold.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Mine actually has a capacitor but that's billed as a feature for hot climates to prevent battery explosion in a hot car. Operating temp only goes down to -10C. How are capacitors in cold climates?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Just a heads up, according to dashcamtalk a lot of cameras that say 720p/60fps are just 30fps doubling frames.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

some texas redneck posted:

First uploaded video from the new one. :v:

Came across the legendary 3 tired mustang in the middle of a road. Driver claimed he fell asleep and nailed the curb - the tire was a few hundred feet down the road, wheel was still attached to the car, with a nice groove dug into the road by the wheel.

Dude didn't seem intoxicated, didn't smell any alcohol on him. Helped him change the tire.

Wish I had something more exciting :effort:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHGzZfILTFg

You're so kind.
Also my mom would never bring me anything at 2am. Hahaha

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The Mustang has always been one of the better put together Fords. I guess that applies to the wheels as well. :v:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

West SAAB Story posted:

The easiest is probably to route it from near the fusebox up and around the A pillar, then towards the mirror for, well, virtually everything.. Haven't broken down and bought one yet, myself, but getting there.

Remember if you have an A-pillar airbag to be sure the wire is out of the way. Sounds like a dumb comment but don't want anyone's airbag to be messed up when needed! I know when I wired up my auto-dimming mirror it had instructions how to do that.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Don't do what I did and use velcro right before you drive to California where it's 90+ F, not realizing the glue takes some time to dry, then let it kinda "melt" in the sun. :doh:
Otherwise if you let it dry it will last a few years, but I bet there is a 3M adhesive of some kind made for this.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

For me, this vidoe just shows a link to the guy's new channel, AFAIK the video was meant to be this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ0jKAt-Phc

Edit: Oh God, these are all fantastic. The one starting at 1.15 is my favourite.

The pedestrian @ 0:40 just doesn't care.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Apparently all the videos end with a cat rescue. :q:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Drunk?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
This guy came flying into the parking lot exit, a one-way road, came within a few inches of the side of my car, all the while giving me a crazy look. :catstare: Too bad the camera didn't catch his face due to glare.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Buggy firmware, the reason I returned my first dash cam (Mini 0801). It's very frustrating as the product hardware is good and quite capable of being a better product!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Ror posted:

Do you guys who have posted the G1W videos use 1080P 30FPS? I got mine and set it up at 720P 60FPS last night, which I thought would be acceptable but it's not great, so I guess I'll move up. I wasn't sure if the FPS made much difference, I guess it shouldn't thinking about usual video FPS. I think a cleaner windshield might improve things as well.

That $2 eBay visor clip someone posted earlier is pretty pro though, definitely easier to use and mount higher than a suction cup. The camera still sticks out like a sore thumb with a totally untinted windshield, but I'm not worried about theft, I just want it too look more subtle in someone's rearview. Both the camera (from Amazon) and the clip came from China in less than 3 weeks, I think I ordered it all on 2/18.

Also, is there a preferred method of running a wire down the A-pillar? I can force most of it into the crevasse but it doesn't want to stay in there perfectly by friction alone.

According to some posts on dashcamtalk the 60FPS mode on cameras is just doubling frames so is a waste of time. Don't know if that's universally true but I'd say is probably the case.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Some of the models have a motion detector in parking mode and only activate if it sees someone moving or the g sensor goes. Obviously it'd need to be a non-switched power outlet and maybe with rundown prevention to keep from killing the battery.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Horse Divorce posted:

A few days ago, I picked up my Mobius Actioncam. My first noteworth video would have been recorded a few days ago, when I caught the fireworks of a branch getting too close to a power line. Would have been, anyway, because I had failed to properly insert my memory card.

But today, I got opportunity number two, shown below. It's worth noting that when my light turns green, the oncoming turning lane light is already red.

Language not for the faint of heart.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ihg-vpVn8A

The Mobius is a fine camera, but it looks farther away than it actually was. But for that, you get a wider view of the world. If you're looking for a dash cam, consider this a recommendation for the mobius.

I thought the vid was gonna be about the first two cars through, which were pushing it obviously but eh... then the RAV4 came and yeah... that guy was just an rear end in a top hat.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

veedubfreak posted:

It takes a surprising amount of time to format a 32gb flash card. Mine lost it's mind and kept giving me read errors so I did a full format. Since it didn't finish before I left work last night I'm amazed that nothing interesting happened.

I've been keeping 2 cards in the car.

Pivit posted:

The new G1W from E-Prance on Amazon arrived today and works GREAT. The last one was just a dud, that happens with electronics. That is one of the nice things about orders "fulfilled by Amazon", easy returns without having to ship stuff back to China.

The quality of these things are pretty hit and miss but the price seems to reflect that.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

KozmoNaut posted:

So, the G1W is pretty much the go-to dashcam right now, despite the questionable construction?

Has anyone tried the Powerucc PanoramaII? It's significantly more expensive, but from looking at dashcamtalk.com, it's the bee's knees.

Yes that's what I have now and it works flawlessly unlike the Mini 0801 I had at first.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

nm posted:

On the Mazdas, they have a dimming mirror kit so I looked optimistically at doing this. Turns out you have to tap the fuse box to install that too. Also, it is way too fancy to tap the way the do it, so even if I had the autodimmining mirror, I'd still be screwed. It taps an always on line and then runs a second line to the ignition to turn it on and off. It is like germans designed it.

The compass / dimming part is switched by the ignition while the Homelink buttons are always on.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah but when you crank the starter isn't it going to cause the same issue?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Laserface posted:

I also found that my suspension is firm enough that even on the least sensitive setting my G-sensor still triggers. Or maybe the lovely russian-english means high is low? who knows.

I turned off the g-sensor on mine. Too many potholes around here has it going off constantly.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
There's even a Garmin unit out now but the reviews on Amazon don't sound stellar. Sounds like it has some of the same problems as the Chinese units.
http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Dash-Standalone-Driving-Recorder/dp/B00HFMN46S
My Panorama II has been good so far though, as noted. I need to make some videos but am kinda lazy. It is hard to find what you want when there are dozens of files. I always forget to push the button that makes it save to a separate folder.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Hey are there any video players out there that will show a thumbnail of the video as you hover the mouse over the time slider, like youtube does?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I posted a link to Garmin's dashcam above :P

I just checked the dashcamtalk forum and it turns out there's a firmware out for my panorama 2 that lets you set the bitrate as high as 21mb/s!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Here's an upload of some random stuff from Easter. Powerucc Panorama II
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPIvAxea_Pg

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
In addition I've been very happy with my Panorama II. No weird SD card errors, random shutting off, etc. It was stuck in a Korean time until a firmware update though. Not sure how it compares to the Mobius and I bought it through eBay. I think there may be Amazon resellers now though.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Zero VGS posted:

Is there any security-type mount that could make it extremely hard to remove a dash cam? I'm thinking of maybe attaching one to my roll bar when I have my convertible roof down to deter thieves, but that backfires if they steal the camera too.

It would need to prevent the SD card from being removed, too.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Man I thought I hit the jackpot with a video of a taxi going into opposing lanes to get around a jam but it turns out the camera couldn't see it from where it's positioned! :doh:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I discovered my Panorama II gets into a boot loop if it gets too hot. I think it was about 30C / 86F but the car had been sitting windows open for about 10 minutes. It might actually be a failure of the SD card cause it did a similar thing when it wasn't formatted correctly. Anyways this might be an important consideration for those of you in hotter climates although it has the advantage of using a capacitor over a battery which we know can distort or explode when hot. Car I was driving has no A/C so sitting in the windshield like that it's bound to get toasted on a sunny day.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Being overtaken on the inside of a roundabout
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvfYWt-rsLQ
:buddy:

Also used my recording to review that, in fact, yes I was first at the stop sign and you never even made a complete stop, stupid person making undignified gestures at me. :arghfist::mrgw:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Hmm that might make a good rearview / spare dashcam. My main gripe with the cheap units has been long term reliability / firmware stability. Several hours on the internal battery seems quite good, too.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Fucknag posted:

Once a minute might not be so good; a lot can happen in 60 seconds, they could easily hit, reverse and book it out of there in between snapshots.

A better idea would be to rig up a system where it starts recording full speed whenever a motion detector is tripped in its view range.

Yeah on mine that feature is called parking mode.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Powerucc Panorama II / S. It has a G-sensor too, I don't know how that affects parking mode but I thought it was based upon motion detection.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
What kind of a car is it?
My Mazda 3 has airbags in the A-pillar but you can run wires down it, as that's how it's done in the auto-dimming rearview mirror instructions. Now, I read those instructions more than 8 years ago so I don't remember how it's done but I imagine the wires must be placed carefully not to go infront of the airbag!

For $36CAD though if it works that's pretty drat good.

Fucknag posted:

See I don't get how you guys are always so quiet. If I ever get one, you'd hear lots of very loud swearing anytime something like that happened.

In a situation like that your brain puts all of its focus on surviving, I'd say. Any swearing would be quite justified, though!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags and front seat-mounted torso airbags

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Internet lawyers: do I have the right to leave the audio recording during a traffic stop?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

8ender posted:

What country is this and why do those lane markers make it appear that there is no centre line between the two directions of traffic?

I'm going to guess it's south of Gothenburg on a road paralleling the E20. The long stripe line is the centre line but it's a passing zone, I think. Been a while since I've been to Europe but I don't think they use the yellow stripe like we do in N.A.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I've used it in an improvised fashion when I forget my actual one or the SD card. I jam my phone between the seat and headrest and just push record. :v: