Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The casing or the footage itself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Lamar Smith R-TX posted:

the footage

i really think the picture was a lot sharper + less grainy on day one
I'm trying to figure out if UV does damage to the image sensors on these or not. I don't think so. I'm not quite sure, but I would try cleaning the lens.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Spatule posted:

Bought the highest rated model for a reasonable price at the local Amazon. Wow, how can people put up with poo poo like this.
Who wants to kickstart a non terrible dashcam ?
Speaking of which, why can't I use the 360° parking cameras of my car as dashcams ? Would be a killer option.

What do you consider a reasonable price?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
That was quite a reaction.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Spatule posted:

Aaaand 1 month in, my 0801 led started blinking erratically/randomly. gently caress. Good thing Amazon has my rear end covered.
Any reputable brand making dashcams ?

I've had my Powerucc Panorama 2 for about a year now and I'm quite happy with it. It was around $200 with the GPS module. There is a newer one out now with the GPS built-in, maybe for a lower price. It's more expensive than most obviously but the quality is good and the firmware gets updated. The only problems I've had turn out to be from using a microSD card in an adapter. Those stop working when it gets hot.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I am looking to get my dad a dash camera for his upcoming birthday since he has expressed interest in the past on them. I know the G1W is talked about a lot in this thread and I have read the last 4 or 5 pages. I would like one a bit nicer than the G1W and I don't care to go the Mobius route. This product Mini 0803 Ambarella is a pretty nice looking unit for features but the reviews seem to leave me wanting something different. We are in Salt Lake Utah, so we will experience hot days and cold days. He doesn't street park so it won't be subject to extreme temps all the times but will be when he is out and about. If we had a budget of ~$130-150, what camera would be the Goon Approved (TM) choice?

After trying with a cheaper camera (Mini 0801) and getting frustrated with reliability and firmware issues I went for something more pricey and got the PowerUCC Panorama II. I've been using it for more than a year and the only problems I had came from the SD card itself. A microSD card inside an adapter will not tolerate hot weather. Getting the recommended Samsung SD card fixed that problem.

I got it for around $185 back then, and I'm not sure the price has gone down (although they've released some updates I think?), but if you can swing it, I do think it is worthwhile. I got it from shpkorea on eBay but there is now a U.S. based seller with an Amazon store I think, Pier 28. I'd check out the feedback on dashcamtalk.com.

If $185 is too much check out
https://dashcamtalk.com/
Scroll down and check out the charts and look at reliability. Check out the forums there, etc.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
My dash cam runs on 12V

but my GPS runs on a mini USB

Owned?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Tomarse posted:

I've got a G1W., and I cant use it because the drat thing is just too 'noisy'

When I power it up it causes loads of interference and I lose all the radio signal on my car stereo (an aftermarket Kenwood DAB radio)

I've tried it with the included lovely cigarette lighter adaptor (I loose all signal) and an expensive hardwired car-micro USB adaptor (loose most signal).
I then added an 'interference supressor' in the power feed to my stereo. With the hardwaire cable I still lose everything except the strongest radio stations when moving.

I realised that I use my tomtom a lot off a cigarette lighter adaptor with no interference issues and it is also micro usb. Tried this adaptor on the G1W and I loose all my radio stations as soon as it powers up, so I have concluded that it is mainly the G1W itself not the power supply!

Is there anything I can do to fix this? If i buy a different camera might I be able to use it? or do they all do this?

There's something wrong with your camera. Return it.

Bovril Delight posted:

Time for you guys to invest in the Mini 080x models. Year and a half on two of them with zero issues.

That's good to hear. I had the Mini 0801 and it sucked. Maybe they've got their firmware in order now.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah that happens in Northern California and Seattle too.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I was witness to an accident caused by a guy going straight on a green arrow. Not like a huge accident and it was a while ago but yeah. It was like WTF.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

KozmoNaut posted:

Here's another beauty. A bike's a bike, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln45CRHWSmA

(Yes, it's a motorcycle, not a moped or anything else that's allowed on the bike path.)

Are those street lamps suspended overhead?
Also, rear end in a top hat, but at least he didn't try to overtake the bicycle ... I guess?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Sure but it's questionable if the power adapter can supply both. If your navigation also has FM traffic it often uses a signal from the power adapter too.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Chinatown posted:

I just had a dude try to literally sideswipe my car because he thought i "was trying to race him" from a stoplight. :wtc: I got his plate thankfully although there's really nothing to do.

Looks like I am done being on the fence on buying a dash cam.

Anyone have a good recommendation for something ~$200? I will be getting it wired at a local shop probably to hide all the wires and not have it use my cigarette lighter.

Thanks.

https://dashcamtalk.com/powerucc-panoramaii/
I've been using the panorama II S for over a year and it's been good. The firmware gets updated regularly and reliability is good. Only trouble I had was because I was using a microSD inside and adapter to full-size SD card which doesn't work in the heat. Reliability was important for me after having lots of trouble with a cheaper cam. Sounds like other makers are getting better now though?

Check out:
Has a big table with a comparison of models.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

DethMarine21 posted:

Has anyone else looked at the Street Guardian SG9665GC? It seems kind of expensive at $200 but it has some interesting features like a Sony CMOS sensor, all-glass lens system in a metal mount, and a super-capacitor instead of a battery. I think it just came out as there aren't too many reviews.

I'm curious about that too. That seller has been a poster on dashcamtalk for a long time though and it sounds like his store has a good reputation. I don't know if Street Guardian is his own brand or what?
What's funny is this is a PowerUCC Panorama product but labeled Street Guardian. Probably working with the manufacturer (who also posts on the forum) to make their own officially sold U.S. product line.
http://www.amazon.com/Street-Guardian-SGZC12SG-Panorama-Compatible/dp/B00LXRR7L4

I bet you could find out more info on Dashcamtalk forums, I'm about to leave though.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

~Coxy posted:

CJing your dashcam is the exact opposite of a bulletproof install-and-forget camera that the OP wants.
I'm not sure one exists at this point.

My Powerucc Panorama II has been bulletproof. Only problem I've had is with using a microSD->SD adapter which isn't good in heat.

There is a table here with firmware reliability, but it's probably a subjective measure based on forum posts:
Still a good starting point.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Good to know. I'll unplug my GPS.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Leperflesh posted:

Don't pass on the right, yo. (Doesn't excuse him, I'm just saying.)

I got a memory card for my Genius DVR-HD500D and it's working good. I did a test run or two and the sound quality is terrible, though - it's picking up pulsing or something from the engine so the sound is distorted and choppy.

I think it might have to do with where I mounted it - just behind and below the rear view mirror, so it's right up nearly against the glass. It just seems like the mic is really sensitive. Any ideas?

Otherwise I'm quite pleased. It records both the front and the rear cameras independently, I can tell it to record in 1m, 3m, or 5m files, the field of view seems to be reasonably wide, and the camera feels reasonably well put-together. For $100 it's not a bad deal.

I don't know if any dashcam really has good sound quality but it sounds like yours might be picking up alternator whine through the electrical socket. I don't know if there's anything you can do about that.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

LloydDobler posted:

I always assume this is due to the fabric in the seat. Maybe spray it with some static guard or something. I had a Volvo that did this really badly, one of the only cloth seat Volvos I've ever driven. I got to the point where I would hold the window frame as I put my foot down on the ground, and the second I did I could feel myself discharge, but without a painful shock. Weird stuff.

I've actually noticed that tires make a big difference. It sounds silly, but actually makes sense.
Interestingly enough my first-gen Mazda Protege actually had a little spot on the door frame that you were supposed to touch to ground yourself.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Texting I guess?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

melon cat posted:

I'm considering getting this one for my wife's bar. But I'd really like to know if there are any half-decent dashcams that record the front and rear views.

Anyone have any recommendations for this type of cam?

This is the one that's on the top list of dashcamtalk.com homepage for good value.
https://dashcamtalk.com/blacksys-cf-100/
Otherwise scroll the homepage and see if any appeal, or check out their forums.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Hit an Apex posted:

Here is my latest - put my car in a Manhattan parking garage. Pretty boring: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMCzTC-W2mY

What are people using to edit? Windows Movie Maker is driving me crazy with the black box it wants to put around the video.

Find the button that changes the project between 16:9 and 4:3.
edit: Under the Project tab.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Zero VGS posted:

My Smart Fortwo is so understated, I'm literally invisible to other cars:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jv1hj23nxdooenv/vlc-record-2016-01-18-22h50m18s-CrashNov1st.AVI-.avi?dl=0

Oh, and the guy's insurance company is saying I'm 50% at fault. I guess I'm supposed to sue the driver in small claims court now? That's what my insurance company is telling me to do.

You have a lovely insurance company. Sorry.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Christobevii3 posted:

You guys never have driven in the hov lane in dallas? Nothing that crazy...

That isn't a lane.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Nitrox posted:

Does that idiot drive around with blue brake lights or is there something going on with your colors?

Compare to the colors in the right panel. Might not have an IR filter which causes weird colors like that.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
A goon in another thread got $3200 for their 2000 Chevy Malibu when it was totaled. :psyduck:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
My Panorama II / S is the predecessor of the Street Guardian units and is the same manufacturer and has been proven subjectively to be the most reliable on dashcamtalk forums. I've had mine since Dec 2013 without any of the stupid problems the cheap dashcams all have. The Pier 28 guy [US SG distributor] is a long time member on those forums too. It seems kind of ridiculous that people hand wave away the poo poo quality of the products in this thread. I mean if you want to find out it doesn't work when you need it or your card has been corrupted for months keep buying G1Ws and stuff.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

@40s, why do people follow that closely?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Lime Tonics posted:

Please don't hit the wall...please don't hit the wall....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_O6u5FtUzU

Actually he should be happy he didn't roll.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

KozmoNaut posted:

https://dashcamtalk.com/sg9665gc/

I have one, it's really drat good.

Looks like there's a V2 out now. If you're in the U.S. Pier 28 is a well known member / vendor on the dash cam talk site. Looks like they now have stock in Amazon Canada warehouses too.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

TURN DOWN YOUR VOLUME BEFORE CLICKING ON THIS LINK

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I want that sign and I'd just program it to say "please turn on your headlights" and I could turn it on and off as appropriate.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

D'oh.
Almost exactly 3 years old, Panorama II / S. The image came back normal once or twice so it might be repairable, but probably beyond my skill level. Too bad.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEqVD9ZrJiM
:P

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Wow!! Armor All dash cam!! The brand I think of when I think of dash cams.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

you'd be asking multiple parties with multiple governing laws to cooperate across state lines. Like gently caress will that happen. Sorry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moving_Ahead_for_Progress_in_the_21st_Century_Act

MAP-21 was supposed to have that set up by October last year, not sure how it has gone.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I got a G1W-C from Spytec to tide me over until the Street Guardian dual channel camera comes out. I noticed it stopped recording at some point on the drive last night. Any idea why? Is it true a UHS-I is actually too fast?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Scruff McGruff posted:

So this happened this weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXZUC3oA0rM

The clip cuts off abruptly at the moment of impact and the next clip starts about 10-15 seconds later once I'd pulled to the side of the road so I need to do some testing and find out if the force of the impact caused a hiccup with the DVR and, if so, do I need to actually anchor the DVR in my glovebox because having it blip out during an impact sort of defeats the purpose. Fortunately in this instance the guy immediately pulled over behind me, apologized, and gave the police the basically correct account of what happened (though from what I understand he tried to blame the car pulled over on the opposite shoulder for why he swerved, not the fact that he was distracted and didn't notice that the cars ahead of him had stopped. But the cop said he was fully at fault so I figured it didn't matter (and I didn't really notice the cause until I looked at the footage later).

Wonder if your SD card came loose. Still, it didn't totally defeat the purpose. You have the events leading up to the impact recorded.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

chrisgt posted:

A fast SD card shouldn't cause a problem, that wouldn't really make sense. Mine was having an issue where it would record to the end of the memory and not overwrite old files. Only did it sometimes, though... Kind of annoying, especially with a 16gb card. I messed with some settings and found out that setting the recording length to anything but 5 minutes caused the problem, after I set 5 minute clips I haven't had a problem for over a year and probably 30k miles of driving.

Doing a full format of the card and I haven't seen the problem again, but the capacitor doesn't hold the time for more than 13-14 hours (I haven't tested exactly how long), so I'm going to return it anyway.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

chrisgt posted:

Mine will lose the date and time after a couple of days, 13 hours seems excessively bad. I actually don't know how to set the month/day on mine.... The settings just skips right over those and goes onto the time. lovely firmware, but the camera works, so whatever. I'll have to make sure I unplug it for a week and plug it back in on january 1st next year :P

You have to set the date format to year-month-day, then set the date, then change the date format to U.S. style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Eh, I think it's stupid of the cars to be following each other so closely that nobody can merge in without forcing their way over. It's literally the reason traffic happens.