Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Apparently the 2015 Corvette will have the first factory dashcam in a car.

I'm surprised it took this long. You'd think that with many cars having rear bumper cams and LCD displays already that a factory dashcam option would be more common by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

@ 9 seconds in, there's a truck with its hazards on in the opposite lane. The car behind it decides that it's best to try to pass by driving around it, nevermind the oncoming traffic (i.e. me).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA1cJ6RSmhE

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Pfox posted:

After experiencing a second hit and run in a parking lot, I'm interested in getting a dashcam. Does anyone know if there are cameras that automatically turn on when they sense an impact?

I've got this camera, which has an accelerometer and battery in it. If the accelerometer detects the car being bumped/moved when the car's turned off, it'll turn on the camera and start recording. The accelerometer also detects when you accelerate/brake/swerve outside normal parameters while recording and saves the recordings when those events happen to a reserved portion of the SD card, to prevent it from being overwritten.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

You really need to mount the camera right near your windshield. In the current location the windshield is blocking a lot of the view, and showing a lot of the interior of the car instead of the exterior (which is what I assume you're more interested in recording.)

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

EBay has piles of Galaxy S3 phones and similar with bad ESN and cracked screen for like $50 shipped, is there any reason those wouldn't be a good value as a dashcam?

1. No auto-overwrite or autostart for recording
2. Cell phone cameras have a smaller FOV than dashcams.
3. Recording will run down the battery and you'll have to remember to take it out and recharge it unless you get a dash-mount charger. But at that point, why not spend the money on a cheap dashcam instead of the inferior jerry-rigged broken cellphone/dash mount charger option?

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Russian drivers: drunk, impatient, retarded, incompetent. Pick two.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

The problem with that is the best location for a dashcam is usually up high where it has a better view and the best location for a GPS is down lower so you can press the touchscreen without reaching up.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Ephphatha posted:

a bottle shop :v:

I'm guessing this is an Australian term for a liquor store?

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

8ender posted:

What country is this and why do those lane markers make it appear that there is no centre line between the two directions of traffic?

It's almost like the picture tells you exactly where it was taken.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

zapplez posted:

What red light? Look at the traffic signals bud.

The red light out of the screen, to the left. The red light that the car that cut off the camera car is avoiding by turning right, doing a u-turn and turning right again.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Bovril Delight posted:

A couple that I picked up recently, nothing too crazy. I love me some horn apparently.

Yield signs? What yield signs?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKGKYFqd_zw

Dodge no signal lane change, bonus MB doing their best Autobahn impression on the toll. I was probably doing around 85mph so I'd put him at over a ton. He proceeded to ride some Mini's rear end and then was gone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw9RD4uhBjk

In the first video yeah if the other guy was a either a little faster or a little slower it would have been nice, but poor yielding like that from other drivers is literally an everyday occurrence.

In the second video, the SUV didn't signal, but also you were passing him on the right and changing lanes right into his blind spot. You should have seen that it was a possibility that he might change lanes. There was nobody in the rightmost lane in front of you, so why change lanes into a lane where he might go?

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Yeah I saw the right lane becomes a right exit, but that's a good 20 seconds down the road. You didn't have to switch lanes right where you did. Another 2-3 seconds in the same lane would have put you past the SUV.

I pass all the time on the right too, but when doing so, you have to be extra careful and anticipate what other inattentive drivers will do, because that's not where they're expecting someone to pass.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Your video is set to private.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Reddit "humor".

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

DropShadow posted:

This annoys me to no end. Here in Minneapolis, there are a lot of double turn lanes and the majority of people always choose the inside lane, even if their next turn is immediately after the intersection in the "other" lane, so then they try to fight to get across traffic, when they could have just turned from the correct lane to begin with. I can't tell you how many times I've almost hit or been hit by someone doing this. Why is it so hard for people to plan their route more than one turn at a time?

It's most likely they're not thinking at all, but there are other possibilities.

"Sure, the sign says two lanes turn, but will they really? Better get in the inside lane to make sure."

or

"The sign says two lanes turn, but some dumbass in the inside lane is going to want to go straight, not realize both lanes turn, change lanes and then run into me in the outside lane because he thinks my lane doesn't turn. Better get in the inside lane to make sure."

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

LloydDobler posted:

I hate when cops are condescending. I rolled a stop sign to turn right in a deserted residential neighborhood one morning only to find a cop parked half a block down the way I was going. He flagged me down and shouted "WHAT DOES THAT SIGN SAY?" So of course I reply "Stop" "AND WHAT ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO DO?" "Stop". Then he just waved me on.

Of course as I drove away all I could think was "I know how to read and I've been driving since before you were born. Either give me a ticket or shut the gently caress up." I mean, I know I deserved a ticket, what I didn't deserve was being talked down to like a teenager by someone who very recently used to be one.
If the annoyance of being talked down to is greater to you than the annoyance of paying a traffic ticket, then I'd argue the cop made the right choice. The more you dislike the punishment, then the less likely you're going to roll though a stop sign in the future, right?

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

You're not passing anyone, get out of the passing lane.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

drukqs posted:

ordered

can't wait !!!!
I've had one of these hardwired in my car for ~18 months. No complaints, works great.

Craptacular fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 15, 2015

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

PaganGoatPants posted:

I'll never understand the need to be ONE CAR ahead. He could've just waited 30 seconds then passed him normally.

He didn't want to lose the race, duh.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

FogHelmut posted:

I'm going to be doing a cross country trip around the week of Labor Day. My route has me on the road for about 60 hours. I think it would be neat to do a time lapse, is this something a dash cam could handle?

Not all in one go. If the SD card in your camera is big enough, you might be able to copy off the files to a laptop each day, and not miss anything.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHOzo3lJweg

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

I just wish car manufacturers would start putting power outlets up near the headliner, for cameras, radar detectors, or whatever.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Looking at their cell phone, probably.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

The Locator posted:

I could see how the driver of the camera car could be held at fault, as by law you must not enter an intersection if it's not clear, and as you noted, this was from a red light and the van was easily observable coming into the intersection.

At 0:05 when the light changes, the intersection is clear. Both the camera car and the van enter the intersection at the same time.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Not my video, not involved with it in any way, just saw it linked on another board.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVwytIfwhjM

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

Mine would say "please turn off your piece of poo poo purple aftermarket glarelights before I ram you"

Mine would be on the hood and say "Get out of the passing lane" in reverse text.

And then one in normal text on the rear bumper for when I inevitably have to pass on the right, because people who camp in the left lane tend to also not look at their mirrors.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Nocheez posted:

7:52 in is magical.

7:51 is pretty good too.

"Oh yeah I was jay-skateboarding across the street so I almost got run over, but let me take a photo of your license plate like you did something wrong."

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Not mine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrtVBXlIBfg&t=31s

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

What's the point of a dashcam with an integral screen? Pretty much everybody has a smartphone now. Just put wifi on the camera, connect your phone to the camera over wifi and watch the video on your phone. The camera will be lower profile and easier to mount, the screen will be easier to view, and I'm guessing a wifi chip and antenna is less expensive than an LCD screen.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Most dashcams seem to have GPS capabilities for displaying the lat/long. Why would they not just grab the time from the GPS signal to update the clock?

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

TotalLossBrain posted:

I imagine any crafty attorney would immediately question why you'd do that.

Is there any way to tell if a video file didn't originally have audio vs. it was edited after the fact to remove all audio?

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

It's ... a mobile crane. What exactly are we supposed to be looking at that's so interesting?

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY_uG-jPLVA
Not mine, it was taken by someone else on a different discussion board I'm on.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

dexter6 posted:

Look at these awesome deer playing in the road

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PlD-c4-drc&t=26s

That seems a bit hot out for snow on the ground.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Neither of those other drivers were in the right. However, it's highly likely that cars entering the freeway will want to change lanes and get out of the rightmost lane, and so you could have avoided the problem in the first clip by anticipating that and either slowing down or changing lanes, even before the entering car turned on his turn signal.

In clip number two you drove in the other car's blind spot for awhile and he may not have seen you, and assumed you were someplace else. He should have checked better and have seen you, but you could have also either sped up or slowed down to not be in his blind spot.

Craptacular fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Mar 27, 2019

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

davebo posted:

If that many people are driving on the wrong side of the road, I guess I can understand the wave of nationalism currently happening there. Might just be easier if they went ahead and switched to driving on the right.

They're also driving upside down, which probably screws up the situation even more.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Got my first fender-bender on camera. Luckily I wasn't involved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0LXVqN0OVg

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Shut up Meg posted:

Youtube has a blurring tool in its own editor.
This seems like the easiest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V4dlR2m5QQ

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

I've got a midrange 2-channel Blackvue and I'd recommend it. Parking mode with only recording motion, and a 128 GB SD card means I get quite a lot of video captured before old video gets overwritten. The only problem is that video transfer over wifi is pretty slow, so you pretty much need to remove the SD card and put it in a PC to view videos.

Craptacular fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Someone posted that before. IIRC it was from a movie being filmed on location.