Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Nitrox posted:

Good news! I showed that video to the police at the scene and they chuckled at it. Then proceeded to ticket the other driver.

Insurance companies liability decisions aren't bound to what a police officer writes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Dog on Fire posted:

What's the rule there btw? You both have a stop sign and you're turning left – I'd also assume you'd have to yield to them.

Whoever got the to the stop sign first has the ROW.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Rusty posted:

In Oregon at least, whoever is in the intersection has the right of way. The common courtesy is to give it to the person who stops first and the person on the right, but not by law.

This isn’t the intent of the law. By this logic you could never stop at a stop sign and once you’re in the intersection you have the right of way, everyone else be damned, but that isn’t the case.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Diving around someone still moving into the oncoming lanes seems like a bad idea

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Rexxed posted:

ACAB. You're lucky you didn't die from 50 bullets through your car for looking like a suspect for some crime two counties away.

Edgy, brah

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

MrYenko posted:

I still don’t understand why we groups bicycles with the automobiles, instead of with the pedestrians. You couldn’t pay me enough money to ride (the right way) in the bike lanes in my part of the world. It’s a loving death wish.

I love dodging pedestrians inches away while doing 25mph over cracked sidewalks.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

SlowBloke posted:

New Australian dashcam

https://youtu.be/5qiFPg3DotE

In which a lot of motorbikes get turned into their basic components

I love the people who can clearly see someone merging into their lane and do absolutely nothing to prevent it. I have the ROW! I'd rather deal with a crash than apply the brakes!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Flint Ironstag posted:

I have been wondering about that for quite some time.

I have come to the conclusion that many of them are just as oblivious as those they show on cam.

There are legitimately people who will take no action to avoid an accident because they have the ROW. I’ve dealt with a number of them over the years in the insurance world. They’re always surprised when they get hit with some degree of fault after just telling you they saw the guy merging and didn’t try to avoid it in any way, or even accelerated to close the gap.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

Jeez the 12CE is like 300 eurobucks, that's probably more than he'd want to spend. But thanks, it's no wonder I wasn't really finding anything because they're the only game in town.

Bike cams are a really weird market that nobody serves well, except Cycliq with their multiple of issues.

Garmin had the Virb XE which was designed as a bike camera but it’s been discontinued for awhile and isn’t really terribly different than a GoPro. They have the Virb Ultra 30 now but it has about 2 hours of battery life at 1080p, less if you use 4K.

Drift Ghost X maybe?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

The bit at 5:35 is the best example of "do you want to be right, or do you want to get where you're going without an accident" I've seen in a long time.

12:23 as well. The clip starts pretty late in the buildup but there’s no way they shouldn’t have seen them start moving and had plenty of time to react. The horn goes first before the nose dips.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

I don't have a dashcam but used a regular sports carmera on a recent road trip. I didn't catch anything super extraordinary but anything remotely interesting is buried between hours and hours of footage that I'm not particularly looking forward to scrubbing through all of that to get to the cool bits. Would be nice to just have button that marks the relevant files or timecodes.

Dashcam videos also get posted on Reddit under idiotsincars and like half the time the camera car has the idiot who, if not actively breaking the rules, could've easily avoided the incident by taking the foot off the gas pedal for a moment.

God help you if you suggest that people drive defensively there.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

builds character posted:

I'm not a personal injury attorney which is what it sounds like would be appropriate, and this is a question for a doctor, not a lawyer.

But, fwiw... I expect your insurance company has a view on whether or not you should settle (and your contract with them has a view on whether or not you're permitted to settle without their consent) but you said they were the same insurance companies? In that case, I would (as folks have already said a couple times) weigh the possibility of discovering, in the future, that you were injured against $600 right now.

As a starter I would tell them that you appreciate their email/call/whatever, you're consulting with an attorney and will come back to them when you've had a chance to appropriately consider their offer.

No, “your” insurance company will not provide assistance on a settlement from “another” company, even if it’s a loss with a policyholder of the same company. They will flat out refuse to provide any advice on this because it’s a liability nightmare for them because they’re not your attorney. You’ll get generic lines like “you should do what you think is best”.

Of course you’re allowed to settle with the tortfeasor’s policy without consent of your insurance, regardless of if they’re the same company or not. This would be a bad faith nightmare if they came out and said “no you can’t settle and get paid”.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

FYI, your posts on the internet saying you don't feel very injured will be used against you in court if you later claim to have been injured.

IMO you should see a doctor to get checked out, and then if you think there's a chance you'll want more than $600 ever, delete these posts, and see a lawyer. One of the things the lawyer can advise you on, is whether $600 is customary and usual, whether it's enough for you to release liability, and whether you have the option to negotiate for more.

Don’t worry, they’re already archived by companies who specialize in providing information services for insurance, law enforcement and other related fields. The poo poo is so advanced now it doesn’t even need your real name associated. The picture of the IN license plate is good enough.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

bird with big dick posted:

You're tellin me that dead gay comedy forum posts have a legitimate potential of being scrutinized by an insurance company lawyer with regard to a 4 figure bodily injury case?

This world is doomed.

Probably not, just an adjuster! That’s only if the insurance company pays for the service though. AI isn’t behind a paywall (currently) so any of these companies worth a poo poo will crawl publicly available sites and capture any personally identifiable information, like a license plate, or a name, then capture other posts for context.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

bird with big dick posted:

Does that stuff come out in discovery or whatever? Like is the insurance lawyer supposed to tell the BI lawyer “hey we know your client Cornholio said due to the accident his penis completely ceased to function but here’s a post on a dead gay comedy forum from 2004 where he admits this his penis has, in fact, never functioned at all, ever”?

e: I’m just using CornHolio as an example I have no personal knowledge of how well his penis does or does not function.

It can, but usually it’s a negotiation tactic before it gets that far. BI attorney wants, say 25k. Injury adjuster or the SIU (fraud) rep will usually present the information and use it to settle the BI for a reduced amount. Even if it was as cut and dry as your example it’s almost always cheaper to pay some amount to get a release signed than pay to defend it in a civil action

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

They aren’t and I’m going to ignore them if it’s safe to do so