Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

EightBit posted:

Most of the stop signs in the US should be replaced with roundabouts.

Mainly so I can see all the useless olds flabbergasted.

In my city there is a roundabout with stop signs :mad:

edit: oh, someone already complained about this :smith:

Toe Rag fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Apr 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

It's kind of hard to see what happened -- did that white truck hit one of the poles? Did you report that to PG&E? If you want to PM me where you where, I can send it into PG&E as well. I work with them a lot, so they may actually look into it. Given what just happened, I don't think they'd want to take any chances...

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

38.243389, -122.465167

I sent it in to my contact at PG&E. Hopefully they already looked into it, but you never know...

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

It comes off the trailer, for sure. It looks like they tried to wedge it into the corner with the wheelbarrow.

Yeah, trucks with cargo tend to make me nervous. I don't trust people to property secure their things, and the scene from Final Destination keeps running through my mind whenever I'm behind them.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

sharkytm posted:

Ummm... sure they were being an rear end in a top hat and cutting in, but you clearly had time to stop. That one's on you, ticket or not.

Haha seriously. At first I was wondering how he got the footage.

People merge like that all the time in California. The only time I would ever block someone out is if they’re clearly an rear end in a top hat trying to cut traffic. And even then I’m going to back down from a crash.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

The #3 lane was ending anyway. I rarely drive in the right-most lane because I don’t want to constantly deal with mergers, unless it’s only two lanes. To make up for my lane discipline transgression, I always move out of the way if someone is coming up behind me more quickly, instead of making them “undertake.”

That was some A+ footage, though.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

MrOnBicycle posted:

I bet you don't drive in Europe then? You'd get ticketed for middle lane hogging.

Well personally I am going to adapt my driving to local custom/law. If I were in Germany, for example, I would probably not go into the fast lane at all, unless I had to to pass. Freeways in the US, or at least California, are a free-for-all, though, and you’re just going to get stuck if you only try to pass on the left or adhere to sensible lane discipline. I’m almost always in the #1/“fast lane” going fast(er). If someone comes up behind me, then I pull over for them to pass. If my dog is in the car then I go slower but not slow enough that being in the rightmost lane makes sense. :shobon:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

That center “lane” appears to have diagonal yellow stripes in it, so probably not its intended purpose but is instead to accommodate a lane/road taper in one direction, or the left turn lane at the signal in the other direction. I think each state can develop its own standards as long as they comply with federal MUTCD. I’m not a traffic engineer.

In California you are allow to cross over double yellows to make a left turn, unless it’s two sets more than 2 feet apart from each other.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Check this guy out.

edit: here's an imgur link in case that isn't loading.

Toe Rag fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Feb 7, 2020

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I think you’re thinking of this article. Station wagons are rad, and it’s a shame they don’t seem to make sporty versions for less than 100k. Audi is at least releasing the RS6 Avant in the US but not the RS4, for some reason, or sedan only for the RS3.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Here, this happened the other day. I'm always amazed when one car will double park next to another car already double parked, but the Lexus making the u-turn and blocking everyone in was next level.

https://imgur.com/a/MNEfHnN

This also happened today. A guy decided to make a u-turn directly into me. :sigh: No video. I had been putting off installing a camera in my personal car, but I guess I will now.

He was in the right lane, I was in the left lane (both going north). Not sure what he was expecting.

He had backed up some by the time I took that picture.

His car

My car

Sucks. That's my first actual crash. Previously I had just been rear ended while at a stop by someone not paying attention going less than 5mph. I'm pretty sure he was circling for parking, because I saw him 5 minutes later in the exact same spot. v:shobon:v

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I’m not a traffic engineer but that’s a poorly designed traffic circle IMO.

For a two lane circle, the outside lane must exit and the inside lane may exit. That’s not how that circle is designed, though. Assuming the arrows are the same all around, it looks like there are two thru lanes which is how you end up with crisscrossing traffic.

People also tend to not signal in traffic circles which adds to the problem. Signal left when staying in the circle, signal right when exiting.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I don't understand this complaint. Suppose you are in slow-moving traffic on a road (or even lane) that intersects another road; they have a stop sign, and you don't. You don't let people "zipper" in, or will block the intersection preventing turns from the other direction?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Flint Ironstag posted:

Your description is pretty good. I don't even get mad at the person trying to let me in, since they are thinking they are helping. But entering lane 1 blindly when I need to be in lane 3 to make a turn at the light? No, not doing that.

Yeah I get that. I would never try to make a left turn in that scenario, just loop around the block or whatever. I tend to leave driveways and such open and let them figure it out. I was confused by what gap you're merging into.

Flint Ironstag posted:

The gap I saw coming that I was about to merge into? Just disappeared due to the "niceness". Just go with the flow of traffic, don't ruin the flow of traffic by trying to be "polite".

At my last place I had to exit my garage directly into a intersection which was frequently blocked with traffic, and I'd always be amazed how often people would see me, then pull up closer to block me out. I'm coming out of my garage, not trying to cut traffic at the last minute. :argh:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Takes No Damage posted:

Heh I didn't even notice the SUV's door opened for a second, though just to educate the truck on proper Zipper Merge etiquette I'm sure :monocle:

I don’t think that’s a zipper merge. Zipper merge is two lanes into one, alternating L-R-L-R. This is two lanes going two different directions, and that’s just someone cutting in at the last minute, unless there is something I don’t see.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Looking at the pedestrian signal is good (I do this), but you have to know the intersection. Different intersections are different and are signaled differently. Not trying to be snarky, but pedestrian signals are obviously not meant for cars, so I find it a little incredible that a driving test would tell you to use them. It’s just another source of information, like if the intersection isn’t clear, you shouldn’t enter it, even if the light is green!

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yeah I just came across one of these guys the other day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITADtAoNDrs

Good reminder to always stay away from the amateur hauler.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

The Linux Fairy posted:

Saw a good one on my bike today, up on Skyline Blvd just north of Castle Rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SbPyHNPdb4

Dude was sitting on the curb with a look on his face of "well, the road didn't kill me, but mom and dad definitely are". Welcome to Memorial Day weekend, I guess. I saw a whole convoy of S2000s up there, too! (But I didn't have the camera rolling for that.)

Whenever I see stuff like that, I just hope whoever was driving realizes they aren't very good at it, are grateful they didn't kill anyone, and take up some other hobby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6qto_VlUxk

When I first came up on this I thought someone went over the edge, but luckily for them they seemed to have bounced off the guard rail, ripped off their rear passenger wheel, then skidded into the mountain on the other side.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

It looks like one of those lava things from the Mario castles

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

I wouldn't settle for less than $800, personally.

$801, Bob

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

It’s OK to honk at idiots. The people who honk at traffic jams, though…

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

the paradigm shift posted:

on the flip side these rules make no sense for bicycles

How so? Road rules and regulations exists to create predictability and establish something resembling logic to what would otherwise just be chaos. You can see all the time as 4 way stops how bicycles not following the rules subverts them. Bicycles run stop signs and red lights simply because they don't want to be bothered to build up their speed again. Blowing intersections is not the same as filtering or splitting, where you can (rightly) argue bicycles and motorcycles warrant special consideration.

I think there should be a hierarchy with regards to responsibility/liability; those with vehicles which will cause the most damage/harm should be held to higher standards, which they somewhat are (eg requiring a special license vs no license at all), but there should still be consistency regarding the actual rules and how they are applied.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/IdiotsInCars/comments/1201uun/porsche_macan_tries_to_cut_into_slowing_traffic/

OP posts a video of this accident he's in but several people notice:

he cuts the audio levels to cover up his engine noise when he accelerates into the person cutting him off

and he cropped the video so it doesn't show his speed, even though in prior videos he didnt crop the speed out

It also looks like he literally turns into the guy lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnO3HXKgPZU

This is the road rage version of the GBS goon who burned down his neighbors house for "internet popularity"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

He’s also a child molester :hellyeah: