Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Opensourcepirate posted:

Aside from mountain roads with "Chains Required" posted and things like that, are there any places where winter tires are a legal requirement?

I believe that in some European countries it's not a direct offense but if you wreck with inappropriate tires installed it's considered more your fault. Not sure if that applies just to the retards who try summer tires on snow or if it also includes crappy all seasons or lack of full winters in the colder regions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
It's been a bit over a week full of people driving surprisingly well in intermittently snowy conditions, but yesterday my G1W proved its value. A coworker and I had taken his car out to do a site survey at the other end of the state, and since he had been contemplating a dashcam himself I brought mine along. On the return trip we got up behind a truck that was in the middle of a double pass and then this happened:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7F5vkYSaibk

Our destination was just a few miles away, so I made note of the plate and we got past as soon as the truck moved over, but there was no damage at all. Not even a rubbed off rubber streak, which surprised me after how hard it was to clean my car when I hit a rubber floor mat that was blowing around the highway.

I'm pretty sure my coworker will be buying one soon.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I actually have the opposite problem, mine was a tight fit to attach to the base and I can't seem to detach it without feeling like I'm going to break something.

edit: Forgot I had a video to post. Here's a trucker taking the "I'm bigger, move" approach to merging off the I-271S express lane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoN7unRrd7k

wolrah fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 1, 2014

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

ijustam posted:

Got my G1W today. Do all just use the suction cup mount? Hows it hold up over time? I've had poor luck with suction cups in the past, with them falling off and what not.

My radar detector (Passport 8500 X50) falls off the windshield about once every month in the summer, more in the winter. When I used a standalone GPS it was generally about the same. The G1W so far has not fallen off once. Not really a hard number, but it's pretty good at staying put in my experience.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
My G1W has started doing this when I shut the car off recently. It turns off, then for some reason turns back on. For a week or so it would get fully on and then pop a low battery warning and turn back off properly, but now the battery is apparently dead enough that it can't get fully booted and it just loops like this for a minute or two before giving up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unaKL8xQFv0

It still seems to work fine when the car is actually on and providing power, so its only a minor annoyance at the moment, but has anyone else experienced this and is there a fix?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Coredump posted:

But that wasn't an interstate. It was just a four lane highway, there's intersections and everything. Interstate is the only place I see "Keep right except to pass" signs.

So what? It's still common courtesy and and a basic rule of the road to keep right if you're not passing or making a left. Especially when someone clearly does want to pass it then extends in to being a dick.

Not defending the Dart at all, but more than one driver in that video was in the wrong.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Not a dashcam, but a roadside camera is close enough right?

Cyclist decides he's had enough of just ignoring stop signs, wants to go bigger. It's a bold strategy, let's see if it pays off for him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EWfUKqEGiU

Internets say he lived but I have no hard sources on that so maybe :nms:.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Raluek posted:

So basically anywhere it makes sense, unless posted otherwise.
Pretty much the same thing in Ohio. Explicitly allowed at light-controlled intersections in any situation a left turn would be allowed unless posted otherwise and only specifically prohibited otherwise in areas where a curve or hill restricts visibility to under 500 feet.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I want to upgrade from my G1W to something with GPS, a rear camera, and a way to export videos to my phone or PC without having to take the card out. Cable to phone or WiFi to phone/PC are all fine with me, with WiFi obviously being preferable.

Is there anything else I should look at other than a Blackvue DR650GW-2CH?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

nm posted:

This video would have been even funnier if it was one of those car boats and as the new anchor is like "wtf", dude starts the prop and motors over the flood to the other side.

This has now gone on my "If I ever win the Powerball" list. Get the least boat-looking amphibious car I can and take it to flood-prone cities in the spring to gently caress with reporters.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Oh yea, those have been on my list for a long time. I'd want to put a normal boat behind it, then back the whole thing in at the ramp just to watch people poo poo themselves. Need to figure out what to do with the trailer in that scenario though...

e: dammit, that's what I get for getting distracted

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Leperflesh posted:

Also you might not think so but you can totally get insurance for your car and make a claim when you crash it even on a race track.
It's not even all that expensive. $150-300 per event seems to be pretty common for normal cars, obviously the more expensive the car the more expensive the policy since these are typically agreed value policies.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Mo Hawk posted:

In most cases you would be able to remove it in case you decide after the fact that you donÄt want to provide the audio to law enforcement, insurance or court.
One could imagine an overzealous prosecutor or opposing lawyer finding this out and accusing you of tampering with the evidence, which would be technically correct.

quote:

Is there a reason for not wanting to record audio? I can only come up with privacy in case your videos are confiscated.
Wiretapping/eavesdropping laws pretty much fall in to one of two categories: one party consent and two party consent.

US Federal law only requires one party consent, which pretty much means you're in the clear to record your own conversations without explicit permission from the other parties. IIRC most states follow this rule, I know for sure Ohio does.

Some states have stricter laws though, where all parties being recorded must consent. This is why most national companies will put the "this call may be recorded" message in their phone system. IIRC Illinois is one of the states with the strictest laws.

Even if you're in a one party state things can still get grey. If the other people in the car start conversing between themselves where you're not involved, your previously legal recording under one party consent may have just become illegal eavesdropping. Same if someone gets in a cell phone conversation. IANAL, you can figure that out on your own.

That said, I keep my audio recording enabled. I drive almost exclusively in a one-party consent state with between zero and one passengers, so the situations where it's potentially illegal are few and far between.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

YF19pilot posted:

I wish I could show this to a coworker of mine who just left two months ago. He doesn't believe me that Ohio drivers are bad.

For context, I live in Taiwan, which is the furthest I've been able to remove myself from the hell that is NE Ohio. My ex-coworker thinks Taiwanese drivers are the worst in the world. He absolutely refused to believe me when I said that Ohio drivers probably have Taiwan beat. He even said "I drove through Ohio, all of their drivers are great!" This, after I told them I had actually lived there, and my poor car was involved in 4 accidents in as many years (one even being my own grandparents backing into my car)! I've never had an accident anywhere else! Even here in Taiwan!

That particular stretch of road has some concentrated stupid (current NE Ohio resident here), but Ohio is one of the better states I drive in. I argue that Indiana drivers are worse by far on an overall statewide basis. So many loving left lane hogs. The DC area is the absolute worst place I drive regularly, but that's understandable with the combination of density and variety in drivers.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPrI8db74kA

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
IIRC the G1Ws were pretty well known for having a noisy switching power supply that is audible on an AM radio signal. Same reason AM radio gets fuzzy near big power lines. My old TomTom did the same thing, if it was pulling a lot of power it could even be heard on my aux input. Shouldn't affect FM or digital to any significant extent though. I certainly haven't noticed any difference with mine.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

you'd be asking multiple parties with multiple governing laws to cooperate across state lines. Like gently caress will that happen. Sorry.

EZPass works in 16 states. I haven't paid a toll manually since Ohio joined the network.

Every other system seems to be state by state unfortunately.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

mobby_6kl posted:

This is surprisingly common considering in dashcam videos considering how difficult it should actually be to pull off. Still, I have no idea how does this not happen several times per race in F1 and other open-wheel series.

I think modern crumple zones and such may be working against us on this one, with the minor overlap between the two vehicles on mostly non-structural areas. Add in the height difference between the vehicles and steering input turning the tire and it starts to make sense.

Totally agreed on open wheel, I am amazed when I see a pack of them running a coat of paint apart and somehow cars aren't just getting launched all over the place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1gfvMidx7k

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Shere posted:

Like, I'm glad that you're able to determine legal fault immediately, but as a general rule of the road I think everyone should be trying to increase their odds of leaving said road alive. Pay attention to where you are and what kind of issues might arise from that. Be defensive of your own life, not passive-aggressive.

With the TT going on and all the tourists the Isle of Man Constabulary has been posting all week on their social media saying things like "Cyclists.......have a long hard think before you start Cycling on the Mountain Road. We can't stop you but it's not a very good idea."

I think that's the best way to frame the issue. When we're talking about right-of-way and/or mixed traffic people often get too hung up on the legalities and what is allowed versus what's actually a good idea. In life in general there are all kinds of things that are entirely your right to do, but you still probably shouldn't.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I am so glad I have dash cams on every car I own.

Agreed, I'll never have a car without one again. Too many situations where no evidence plus another party who's willing to lie (or was so inattentive that they legitimately believe they're in the right) could gently caress you over.

I 3D printed an adapter to allow my G1W to attach to GoPro mounts so I'm no longer reliant on that stupid suction cup, plus I can switch cameras around with ease.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Gothmog1065 posted:

Who has experience with these?

Basically what is happening is the cam will start over and over for about 10 minutes then work fine for the rest of the drive, but it does it pretty much every time the car comes on. Is this a faulty adapter or me doing a lovely wiring job?

Basically is there anything I can check before sending it back?

Which camera? My G1W does that if it's not happy with the power for one reason or another, and that included a cheap USB adapter, so it very well may be that cord at fault.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Gothmog1065 posted:

e: after reading around a bit, I might just chop off the converter portion and replace it with this.

That is probably a good call. Either that or a converter that gives you a full-size A socket which you could then use a high quality A to Mini-B cable with.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I forgot to pull the video but I came across two different wrong ways at the end of last week. Both old people driving the standard "gold" Grand Marquis. The first one might have been a spin out that just ended up the wrong way (cops were on site, facing the correct direction, and looking bored), but the second one was definitely someone coming up the offramp from I-80EB to OH-10.

On the plus side that second one seemed to have realized their mistake, they had their turn signal on and were pulling on to the gore area to get going the right direction as I passed.

We really need regular re-testing, especially with olds but I think it should be for everyone.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

totalnewbie posted:

Honestly, some of the ramp designs I've seen (e.g. off and on ramps that share a paved segment and are only separated by a small median) seem to be a deliberate attempt to confuse an unfamiliar driver into turning into the wrong lane.

In this case they were coming from a toll booth and there's a concrete curb-style divider in the median, but from my old Crown Vic days I wouldn't be surprised at all to find out they drove right over the median. I used to drive over a curb separating my dorm lot from the Taco Bell lot all the time and that car took it like a champ, so I could certainly see a person with reduced reaction times in a couchmobile bumping over the median and not really realizing what had happened.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

ratbert90 posted:

Huh, I have a ton of experience with streaming multimedia and product building.

Is a wifi enabled dashcam that can connect to a remote point in the car and save files there something people would really want?
I could literally make that product from start to finish and sell it in ~6 months.

*edit* I could even add RTSP if that's something people would find useful.

I've been playing with a DIY dashcam build on a Pi Zero W that does exactly this. It doesn't offload the entire card of course, just the flagged recordings. Right now I just have it doing so over SMB when I get home, but a long-term goal is to build a basic web service that'll let it submit video remotely either through open WiFi or tethering for those of us who use it.

Cooling the Pi in a black car has proven to be complicated, and I need to use something better than PLA for the cases for basically the same reason.

I'd be all over a decent camera that had WiFi client mode support and could use some kind of standard file transfer protocol to automatically transfer flagged recordings to my personal server when it sees a valid AP. Bonus points for supporting multiple SSIDs. Keep AP mode for local smartphone control/streaming support. Some kind of synchronization interface to allow multiple cameras to turn on/off and flag recordings simultaneously would probably be nice.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

ratbert90 posted:

Hrm, not a bad idea. We could use USB-C along with the imx6 processor to handle up to 4 cameras and stitch all 4 of them together during recording. What do you guys think?

Separating the camera from the brains would definitely be nice in a multi-camera setup, and I'm definitely in favor of USB-C as the interface. That would also allow for other forms of expansion, like OBD2, or GPS for those who consider it worth the risk.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

nm posted:

That requires hiring an expert and investigator and will only get you a 10 +/- mph at best. That's only gonna happen on high dollar cases. It is a four figure bill to do it in a way that is admissable in any court, which they're not gonna pay for your $5k claim.
Exactly. It'd be really easy for a nerd with video editing software and a few reference measurements to determine your speed from video in a way which would be convincing to other nerdy people who understand the principles involved, but convincing a jury is a different matter. If you aren't recording audio there's even potential to create doubt about the accuracy of the camera's claimed framerate.

If you have a GPS overlay however, you now have the most accurate source of timing and positioning available to the average person putting the numbers on screen in plain view of anyone with two brain cells bumping in to each other.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

MrOnBicycle posted:

Are GPS cameras where the camera need a separate module plugged in to enable GPS included?

The reason you don't want to have a GPS-equipped camera is to avoid the question "why was GPS turned off?"

If it's a separate module that requires extra mounting/wiring and/or if it costs extra I'd say that gives you a nice answer which can't be used against you.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Something tells me mine looks like that too and I probably should open it up. The battery hasn't done anything useful in a few years.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
On mine the power and menu buttons just fell inside it at some point, so I have basically no ability to change settings anymore. I flick it to trigger the g-sensor if I want to save a clip.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

CarForumPoster posted:

It's really REALLY unlikely but I wouldn't gently caress with running multiple-feet-long unshielded wires near electronically triggered explosives lest you end up like the USS forrestal. Automotive systems are notoriously noisy and long wires are antennas, even if unintentionally.

Most wires aren't going to be transmitting. Those that are, definitely be careful with. With my trunk lip mount CB antenna on my BMW sometimes the ground connection would get lovely and any time I keyed up I'd get the worst static imaginable through the iPod interface (which had an audio cable running parallel to the CB antenna cable).

The HD radio antenna wire running behind the a-pillar airbag didn't really worry me, that was easy to tuck away and won't be carrying any power.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Yeah, the Challenger is actually the only one of the LX cars to be offered with three pedals. For some annoying reason they never put it in any of the four door models.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
My neighborhood is sufficiently rural to not have sidewalks or streetlights. Quite a few of my neighbors have a really bad habit of walking their (dark colored) dogs in the street after dark, inevitably while wearing black coats and dark pants.

Then there's one guy who has a bright LED light on his dog leash and wears a hi-vis vest over his coat. That guy is awesome. Can see him from the other end of the road no problem.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
My G1W does the same thing, though it usually bootloops if that happens rather than just refusing to start. I hear the jingle repeatedly until I unplug it for a minute.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Leperflesh posted:

Some truckers have actual speed limiters installed on their (often company-owned) trucks, so they literally cannot speed.
As far as I'm aware those limiters are pretty much exclusively fixed maximums rather than adapting to the actual limits with GPS or camera systems. Usually set somewhere around 65 MPH, give or take a few.

That still means speeding is possible on all surface streets, in construction zones, and on certain unfortunate highways regulated by terrible people.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

fknlo posted:

I scratched the Exige as a possible fun car because of the clamshells.
I had the opposite thought when I found out about the clamshell cost. The idea of a car that's financially impractical to return to "showroom" visual condition but is still mechanically sound seems like a win-win to me. Get the car for a lot cheaper than otherwise possible without affecting anything I actually care about.

I just can't physically fit in one. I tried getting in to an Elise once and got about 2/3 of the way in before deciding it wasn't worth going further, and I can't imagine a roof would make it any easier.

quote:

Both wrecks I've been in have been similar to this with cars turning into me across a stopped turn lane when they couldn't see oncoming traffic in the other lane(s). Except I was doing 30ish+ when I hit my folks. I'm obviously not a fan of obstructed view turn lanes any more.
I've been the guy on the other end of that one once, took a wave-through from the near lane when I was late to class back in college and got hit by traffic in the far lane. Totalled my new (to me) Thunderbird and the other guy's Kia Sportage. I had good liability coverage so he was handled, but no comprehensive meant my car was $3500 down the drain. Never again.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

C.H.O.M.E. posted:

In houston i have seen on multiple occasions people trying to BACK UP the off ramp and get back on I-10 after taking the wrong exit.

Houston is a special place.

Ok this is pretty stupid regardless, but don't you guys have frontage roads basically everywhere alongside I-10 where someone who got off at the wrong one could just go a block or two and get right back on?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Craptacular posted:

Most dashcams seem to have GPS capabilities for displaying the lat/long. Why would they not just grab the time from the GPS signal to update the clock?
Those with GPS usually do exactly this. Many do not have GPS though, and some who own GPS-capable models choose not to install the antenna or enable the feature due to a variety of concerns (mostly that if a court gets involved there are more ways for the GPS info to hurt you than help you).

Does anyone here have the Aukey DR02 dual camera? Techmoan seems to like it, any first-hand experience from goons? Looking to finally replace my G1W.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 19, 2018

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

melon cat posted:

A few years back and after a snowstorm some dipshit decided not to scrape the ice off his car, so the massive ice sheet flew off his car and struck mine on the highway. Caught it all on my dashcam. When I reviewed the footage I heard my dumbass go, "Ice sheet? Awww poo poo. AaaaaaaAAAAAHHHHHHHH" in some weird opera-like crescendo as it flew towards me.

Pretty sure that the guys at my insurance company had a good laugh over that.

If you still have this footage you have no choice but to post it now...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Krispy Wafer posted:

I feel naked without a dashcam. Like ohshitohshit something is definitely going to happen the one day it's not working. Never does, but still.
A few months back I stopping back at the office between customer site visits and noticed that my camera's timer wasn't incrementing, indicating that it had enough g-force saved clips that the card was full. I thought about getting my laptop out and clearing it out, but decided it wasn't worth the time and I'd do it when I got to the next site.

Sure enough, an unsecured load falls off a truck on the highway and sends a few cars including myself swerving through bags of trash, but I have no recording because I was lazy.

Fortunately no meaningful damage.