Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Goddamn, this one pissed me off to no end. Not only did he pull in front of me (on a 55 mph road where people normally do 60-75 - I was doing between 55-60) and slam on the brakes to make a turn, he bobbed and weaved when I started to swerve around him. There was a car to my left that nailed their brakes, which gave me enough room to get around this future Darwin Award winner. I was on the brakes hard enough that I could smell them afterwards. :supaburn:

I was pissed enough that I did the incredibly loving stupid and pulled into the parking lot at the next entry, but I saw who I assume is his wife absolutely ripping the guy to shreds. She saw me in the parking lot and was making motions that looked to be "SEE? HE EVEN FOLLOWED YOU INTO THE LOT, YOU gently caress UP!". I could hear the shouting with the windows up. :shepicide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vdj-paqgH74

I found another Darwin candidate. Guy was sitting in the left turn lane as long as I could see him (at least 30-45 seconds). So he flips a u-turn right in front of me. 40 mph road, with me doing 40, and no other car on the road. :argh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NW85S6nb98

It's rare for me to get two worthy clips in a week. Much less the same day.

e: goddamnit why did youtube upload these under my old account :saddowns:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Apr 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Snagged the G1W mirror mount.

It.. it mostly works. You have to get it centered juuuuuust right to keep minor mirror adjustments from loving with the camera (this is more because of the very short mount for the mirror on my car, I think).. It does get rid of the suction cup on the windshield, but it moves the camera far enough down that it makes it even more obvious. I also found out it's a complete bitch to remove the camera from it, the mount is a very tight fit to the camera body. Plus, my mirror actually has a few buttons on it (OnStar buttons + outside temp display buttons), and moves pretty easily..

Probably going to spray paint the camera body black, or cover it in black tape, or something along those lines to make it stand out less.

At the least, it freed up a mount for my semi-working G1W (which I've been meaning to toss in the back window for months now). The old one randomly decides "oh hey, I think I'm running off of USB power, even with the cable completely disconnected, until my internal battery dies.. and while I'm doing this, none of my buttons work" (this is why it got replaced).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 12:18 on May 12, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

nm posted:

Eh, that looks more like a failed, poorly timed attempt to cut off than something intentional.

That hard of a swerve at that kind of speed, especially in a truck, would have been drat near impossible for a seasoned stunt driver to pull out of without losing control. The truck was already at a nearly 45 degree angle to the car when they hit; there's no way they could have corrected that without going at least onto the shoulder. My backseat math driver says the truck would have either rolled or fishtailed wildly (likely hitting other poo poo) even without the impact.

The ultimate karma was the truck rolling though.

8ender posted:

Goddamn I hope they get that truck driver on attempted murder.

From the article:

California Highway Patrol posted:

... if it is determined through our investigation that there was an intentional act to harm another person, this incident would not be treated as a collision and separate charges would follow. The potential charges could range from attempted murder to assault with a deadly weapon depending on the circumstances.

And uh, the video kind of shows it was intentional. :haw:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

8ender posted:

Unless the alignment was completely hosed most trucks don't just dive into a hard right like that when you take your hands off the wheel.

Even with completely hosed alignment, you don't see that happen. If the alignment was truly that bad, it would have been pretty much impossible to keep in a straight line before adding a side of road rage.

I've driven some cars with completely hosed suspension - if it was hosed bad enough to pull like that when you let go, it was a deathtrap anywhere above about 3 mph.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

^^^ What they said.

It handles trimming clips, merging clips, removing/adding audio, etc just fine. It's free, though the XP version is long gone.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Axim posted:

I bought a G1W-H that was fine for one day, and then it lost the ability to detect when the power cable was removed. It would always think it was on external power, even when I turned the car off, and thus would run down its battery every time, unless I manually shut it down

My original G1W randomly started doing that. It was completely random and unpredictable, but a pain in the rear end when it happened (the buttons also didn't respond when it went into its "gently caress external power" moodiness).

The only issue I've had with its replacement is it seems to gain a few minutes every month on the clock.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Here's an odd one.

My G1W, when plugged into the included power supply, farts all over FM. Enough that my new stereo can't pick up HD radio (digital stations) at all with it plugged in (and FM is weak), but shows full signal strength with it unplugged (and FM is fine). If I power up the cam on its internal battery, there's no interference.

Is it the charging circuit in the camera, or is it the power supply it came with? I don't have a spare 12V -> mini USB power supply handy to test this out with, everything else I have is micro USB.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I've noticed that the mirror mount tends to bounce a lot more than the windshield mount - but it keeps it a little more low profile.

I do need to try a new power supply - right now, whenever the included power supply is plugged into the cam, it farts interference all over the FM spectrum. Just having the camera turned on (on battery) doesn't cause it; having the power supply plugged in, but not connected to the camera, doesn't cause it. If that doesn't fix it, eh, I guess it's time for something a little less cheap. But powering it from my PC doesn't interfere with FM on anything nearby (home theater receiver + alarm clock).

Also, watch out for motorcycles. Can't tell over the kickin rad 90s techno, but the guy on the bike was laying on his horn as soon as the Cruze started to change lanes. Driver even sees him, waves, taps the brakes, and still continues his lane change. :fuckoff:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Sep 5, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

oxbrain posted:

Running a red light is illegal. Turning right, doing a u-turn, and turning right again isn't. :viggo:

I do this several times a day at work. :shrug:

I know the timing of every traffic light in my delivery area; doing that often cuts several minutes off of a trip, which means I'm back at the store before other drivers, which means more deliveries for me. There's a few non-signaled intersections (side streets exiting onto a major road, so stop sign for me, no stop sign for the major road) where it also makes much more sense to do that instead of waiting for all 6 lanes to clear to make a left turn.

Turn right, haul rear end to the next left turn, do a u-turn, mentally point and laugh at the person who was behind me waiting to turn left, who probably won't get to turn for a couple more minutes.

That said, every time I go to my doctor's - drat near every left turn in that city is signed for no u-turn, and you can't turn left out of his parking lot. I have to go a block down to the next light, turn left onto a smaller road, turn into my credit union's office building parking lot (since even that street has a no u-turn sign at nearly every turn), come back out of the parking lot, turn right, then turn right back onto the main road. drat near every time I've tried to do a u-turn in that city, I've wound up chatting with the local PD.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Sep 12, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

http://youtu.be/U8zWhPZkSb8

Kids pushing a car? Check
Teenager (assuming the owner, or at least, the person who normally drives it) standing out of the sunroof, steering it with his foot? Check
Teen trying to do a half assed hand stand on the car? Check.

:psypop:

e: they were pushing it back across the parking lot when I pulled out.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Sep 18, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The Locator posted:

"Cool" I think, I finally got something worth saving on my dash c... oh... :smith:

I'm running into that a lot - my new stereo basically goes to static anytime the dashcam is plugged in (on both AM and FM), so it's been unplugged more often than plugged in. :smith:

I really need to get a decent power supply for it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I've had cops show up in less than a couple of minutes for similar things. And once went through 4 cities (getting transferred to each new city's dispatch center) trying to call in someone driving with no lights that was basically ping ponging off of everything they saw before anyone showed up. Finally showed up at the far north edge of the city (started talking to them 10 minutes earlier just before entering the city).

Just depends where you are. And even moreso if you're on the outskirts of a sprawling metro area, where you can pass through cities in less than 5 minutes.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out how this accident happened.

I'm sitting at a light, and along comes a Honda minivan down the wrong side of the road. Assumed drunk driver at first, then realized they were probably dazed once I saw the hulk smash right rear corner and exhaust dragging.

I stopped to make sure everyone was okay (several others did too, but I've actually been trained in first aid, CPR, AED, etc several times). Driver said she was sitting at the light and next thing she knows she's surrounded by airbags and on the other side of the road. She definitely wasn't sitting at this light, and it was a severe enough accident that I would have heard the crash (and she would have been going quite a bit faster). I'm thinking she got nailed at the light down the road and got spun around, then just coasted the half mile down the road (it's a slight hill).

Once everyone was out and accounted for (several children, mother, grandmother), I got in to make sure it was in park. It wasn't, but the driver info center was flashing a message about ENGINE OFF AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT or something like that. I had no idea how many airbags those things had, nor did I have any clue how long they stayed inflated. I thought they were like front airbags, where they pop and slowly deflate. Nope, it was a solid 5 minutes before I tried to get in to put it in park, and the side impact bags were still hard as a... well, freshly inflated airbag.

Nobody hurt thankfully, but the scumbag who nailed her took off. Current generation Honda Odyssey. I'm impressed how well the cabin held up - the hatch was smashed in pretty bad, and the rear quarter was buckled (plus RR wheel pushed forward), but all doors opened just fine.

Sorry about the lovely video editing skills, I had to splice 3 videos together for this. My camera also crapped out entirely after this - I took it off the dash to try to show the cops what I had on video, and it flashed "low battery" then locked up, with the display still on. It took about 15 minutes for it to run down enough to shut off, then was fine once I plugged it back in (but dies within seconds when unplugged).

I got an rear end chewing from my boss for stopping to check up on someone that had just been in a serious wreck. "Company policy is we never stop as a witness to anything". I told him human nature is to stop and help, and that I had first aid training, so I could be of far more use than the average person - and that the police had already asked me to stick around.

I put in my 2 weeks notice yesterday - was already planning to, but that's what pushed me over the edge.

http://youtu.be/TY3-lEaxOS0

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Wickerman posted:

Not if you're a state-certified EMT, which he says he is.

Not a state certified EMT (or state certified in anything); I'm certified by the American Heart Association for first aid, CPR, AED, and infant CPR. I could never handle being an EMT. I've previously been certified Red Cross as well. Blood doesn't bother me in the slightest, but other bodily fluids do; otherwise I'd actually be an EMT (even if just an EMT-B).

Basically I'm certified by a well-recognized non-profit to render basic first aid (including assisting to load someone onto a back board), perform CPR on anyone (infant through elderly), and use an AED. So I'm not actually required to stop, since it's not a state certification.

But I'm human, and have this thing called a "heart", and have first aid/CPR/AED knowledge - so I'm going to stop. My certifications are expired, but it's no big deal to renew them (the only thing that's changed is CPR techniques), and I'd likely be protected by good samaritan laws if I tried to help someone that later passed.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So I'm sitting in the right hand lane (with a right turn only lane to my right), with a car to my left. Light turns green, I go through the intersection, car next to me lays on their horn and nearly sideswipes me in the middle of the intersection.

They called my boss and claimed I tried to sideswipe them, and that I went straight from a right turn only lane. He asked what happened, I told him "I'll do even better, I'll show you what happened, I have a dashcam in my car".

The video shows a car making a right turn to my right.

Got me out of an rear end chewing... and got him interested in buying one. The battery on mine is pretty much shot, but there's a mini USB charger in the store for some reason. I'm going to make sure I keep a copy of the original video in case they complain to corporate (which would mean the owner gets a call).

Too tired to go get the camera out of the car, but I'll try and post the video tomorrow. Bonus points: 2 intersections before, another car next to me ran a red light and nearly hit 2 cars. Dude was hauling some serious rear end too, probably 70 in a 40 if I had to guess.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Takes No Damage posted:

I'm too lazy to pull tape but on the drive in to work today I saw a SUV :siren:backing up:siren: out of an off ramp, right down the middle of the drat lane. They really didn't want to get on that toll road (635 Express for any Dallas goons).

:cripes: It's not like 635 Express is that expensive. I'm not a fan of driving on toll roads either, but I'm not going to gently caress up traffic if I accidentally wind up on a ramp.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

My (third) G1W crapped out on me. When it gets power, it just turns on and stays on the power on screen, occasionally it'll start recording. When you unplug it, it keeps cycling between the power off and power on screens until the battery dies (which thankfully is only about 20 seconds now, since the battery is done).

I have no idea what's decent now, and I'm not buying another G1W. Admittedly I only skimmed the last page or two, but what's decent in the <$100 range these days? And will last more than ~6-9 months? 1080p or better is my only hard and fast requirement, it'd be nice if it used the same mount as the G1W (so I could keep using the mirror mount I have for it), and a built in display would be nice. Not required though.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:38 on May 23, 2016

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Scruff McGruff posted:

Before you replace it, if you have another SD card lying around try swapping it. Both my old G1W and my newer K1S both had issues that I was sure meant the unit was bad but it turned out that it was the SD card that was borked. For some reason a bad card was messing up boot up or accessing menus, all sorts of stuff that doesn't seem like it would be card-related. Replacing the card got them both working normally again.

Card reads fine on 2 computers, a tablet, and my phone. Camera still has issues with other cards and even without a card (it's the version that has some limited internal memory, though since the USB port doesn't work for anything except power anymore, the internal memory is useless).

Even before it quit, the image had gotten really soft, and looking at the lens, it looks like there's some kind of film on the inside of it. I've also tried other power supplies. He's dead, Jim.

The Panorama S and the Street Guardian are both looking really good, just expensive. If I can find the Panorama S for sale anywhere I'll probably try to get one, otherwise I'll save up for a bit and get the Street Guardian. The Sony sensor kinda seals it for me. Until then I'll see if I can revive one of the dead G1Ws I have.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I'll have you know I only bought 3 of them. :colbert: (and they all died in different ways!)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

e: you know what maybe I shouldn't make this public yet, sorry.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Aug 25, 2016

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

e: you know what, nevermind. Just gonna say some rearview cameras aren't designed to be powered constantly.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Apr 19, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Of course the Lexus comes to a complete stop and lays on their horn. :argh:

e: to contribute... still capture from my dashcam, click for bigger..

Broken side window? check
Tailgate won't close? check
:siren: WINDSHIELD HALF GONE WITH THE REMAINDER FLAPPING IN THE 60 MPH BREEZE? check :stonkhat:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:38 on May 8, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Takes No Damage posted:

Nah, I can see a hill in the distance. Not flat enough to be :clint:

The part of Texas I grew up in had mountains. :colbert: DFW is definitely pretty flat though, so is Houston.

FBS posted:

Good news! The Legislature wants to get rid of safety inspections!

Shot through the senate with only 4 nays. We'll see what the house does, but I'm betting they pass it. Hell, a lot of media is already saying inspections are gone, but it hasn't gone through the house yet, only the senate. (Texas senate bill 1588, 85th legislature, if anyone is curious about the details on it). If it does pass, it's proposed to take effect in March of 2018. Emissions inspections will still remain.

The savings per vehicle per year? $7.00. The senator who introduced it did so under the guise of "eliminating the inspection tax".

The irony... is the senator who sponsored the bill is the brother of someone that owns a ton of car dealerships in DFW. You'd think someone from a car dealer family would be all for forcing cars to be repaired (bringing in more money for mechanics and dealers) or scrapped (bringing in more car sales).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:18 on May 9, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Either a bad power supply or a bad camera. What happens if you use the power supply that the camera came with?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Takes No Damage posted:

Going from 75 north to 635 West in Dallas, it mashes 2 lanes down to 1 not once, but two times in 1/4 mile.

gently caress that entire interchange (along with 30 <-> 35E), but especially gently caress the 75 -> 635 West portion (both north and south). If I never had to think about that ramp again, I would probably add 5 years to my life.

Southbound to west isn't quite as bad, but I still equate it to hammering a finishing nail through my dick (instead of a roofing nail).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

They did the same thing on the 30 West -> 35E North ramp recently. It was 2 lanes almost all the way (then necked down to 1, opening back up to 2 pretty quickly). Now it switches to 1 lane a lot sooner.

Guess which ramp I take to work every day.. :shepicide:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Cugel the Clever posted:

Wait, am I seeing that right? Do both sides have 'Yield' signs??

DFW likes to throw signs up for people to ignore. But no, it's for the access road traffic. TX law states all access road traffic must yield to traffic exiting the highway, but nobody ever does. The ones that do yield often wind up getting rear ended.

Takes No Damage posted:

Dallas really is the worst city for failing to yield, and yet they won't quit building more suicide merges :argh: They just opened a new path from 30 east to Woodall Rodgers that has one and there isn't even any signage with it, everybody just mentally flips a coin to decide who goes first.

I loving hate Woodall. :argh: And 30.. and 35E.. and 75... and especially 635. Ah gently caress it, I hate every highway out here.

I had to drive from Denton to SE Garland the other day. Google Maps showed 35E being 45 minutes longer vs taking 2499 from Denton to 635. And you don't dare speed on 2499 (north of Grapevine anyway), it's cop central.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

CPL filter is always a good idea when you're putting a lens behind a window. Really cuts down on glare, though you'll need to rotate the filter until you find the sweet spot.

And yeah... what nm said.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

ratbert90 posted:

- 802.11a/b/g/n 2.4ghz/5ghz

If you're going to support 5 GHz, why not add 802.11ac? I know it's a bit finicky, but it has the potential to have much higher transfer speeds.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

:catstare:

I guess I assumed FCC certification was required no matter what.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Takes No Damage posted:

Ain't even mad, that intersection is a piece of poo poo in general. Go back and check how long my green light lasted. It's like that for cross traffic EVERY TIME :(

That light is a giant gently caress you to anyone trying to go north. Southbound isn't quite as bad, but still annoying.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The Locator posted:

I noticed that it had block walls. I wonder whether it would have had any survival chance if the garage door hadn't been wide open.

Garage doors are notoriously weak, and are generally one of the first things to fail in a tornado. So, no, that garage was done either way, unless that tornado had been an EF-0. You can see the roof getting peeled off of the house, and a free standing garage typically won't be built as well as a home.

Moore, Oklahoma revised their building code to require garage doors to withstand up to 135 MPH (high end EF-2 territory) winds fairly recently (2014). But that's not retroactive, and not many cities have followed suit. Just spitballing, but I'd guess that was a high end EF-1. Mayyybe an EF-2 (but I'd expect his car to have been picked up and moved some).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Okay guys.. I've been limping my third G1W along for way too long. It's finally fully crapping out. It turns on and records, but keeps switching to continuous recording with no audio now, and keeps losing the time/date; I have to manually format the memory card every day (otherwise I eventually get a "SD CARD FULL" error), and since the battery is trash, the end of the video gets corrupted. I did try a factory reset on it today, and that seems to have made it at least remember "oh hey, use 3 minute chunks and record audio", but the thing is on its death bed either way.

What's a current reasonably priced cam? I don't have a need for rear recording, GPS, or speed (in fact I would REALLY prefer the camera not have GPS or speed logging abilities), and it'd be nice if it can use the mount I have for my G1W (which is attached to my mirror). Hard cap of $100, cheaper would be better (so that rules out the nice stuff like Blackvue). Only real requirements are that it have a display, time/date stamp, and be able to record audio. I'm kinda leaning toward one of the A119S knockoffs (won't be able to use my existing mount, but that's at the bottom of my list anyway) - it looks like you can get them with or without internal GPS? Something that can support a 64GB card would be nice too, since I'm in the car ~8 hours a day, but I can settle for something that maxes out at 32GB.

Takes No Damage posted:

Should have honed his reflexes to leap up off the bike, sailing harmlessly over the offending vehicle.

In other news, I'm reeeallly glad I wasn't tailgateing this dude:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpbfYgnld7A

30 east to 35E north?

That interchange gets worse with every revision. :argh: Hell everything related to the interchanges at 30/35E/45/75 are a gigantic clusterfuck. I take 30 west to 35E north to Inwood every day :shepface: and 35E back down to 30 east to get home. :shepicide: The State Fair has made that an especially fun trip lately.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Oct 23, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

To be fair, I think that's more TxDOT :argh:

I use Google Maps to get everywhere now. Even a familiar drive, unless it's literally down the street. At least it usually gives me a heads up about traffic.

But it gets loving idiotic when you're doing 30 West to 35E North. "Keep right at the fork keep left at the fork keep left at the fork keep right at the fork" JUST SHUT THE gently caress UP AND TELL ME WHAT LANE TO BE IN JESUS CHRIST. It's equally stupid when going from 35E South to 75/45/Singleton. I have to look at the text directions long before I get to that clusterfuck of an exit, because I know if I'm having to take Singleton, it won't tell me until I'm already past the point of no return.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Oddhair posted:

I'm not fond of Maps announcements about slowdowns "past exit seven hundred and sixty seven A". I know intellectually that exit numbers are very handy but I don't tell people exit numbers and I don't know them, so the info is just "There's a slowdown between here and your house" and I'm aware of that, it is Houston.

Also, I scooped a newer Mobius just to prepare as mine's 2.5 years old at this point and they have a new lens, called lens 'D', with a slightly narrower FOV than the earlier wide-angle lenses. I will try to post some comparable side-by-sides, I have lots of old footage but it's so dry to look at. I've been really happy with mine though I understand some people like having a display, if you need small, no-frills and no GPS it's not bad at $80

I had tried to get a Mobius 2 but the order was cancelled on me at Amazon. Not sure if it's really the same manufacturer as the Mobius 2 has a 180º opposite mini-USB plug in roughly the same form factor, so I'm a bit relieved I don't need to re-run the power cord.

Google Maps has taken to telling me "Take the second right onto <street>, past the Jack in the Box/McDonalds/Wells Fargo/etc". I found out that switching the voice over to the bitchy British female voice really condenses the verbal prompts... "turn right ahead", "there's a slowdown ahead", etc... instead of dropping 15+ second lines about the next turn I need to make 10 seconds before I pass it.

Display is pretty much a must have for me, mostly so I can replay footage at the scene of an accident (saved my rear end once, when someone hit me..... and told the cop I ran a light, cop wound up ripping him a new rear end in a top hat after seeing the video). Also so I can aim it... and also have a visual indicator that it's on and running. Neither of my phones (work or personal) have SD slots, and I don't regularly carry a laptop with me.

I'm still kinda leaning toward the A119S, though I got my G1W semi working again by factory resetting it. It still loses the time occasionally, and sometimes corrupts the last bits of video, but at least it's keeping the settings again. I don't expect it to last long though.

JuffoWup posted:

I like when google tells me about slow traffic when I've been in stop and go for the last 5 minutes already.

"There's a 10 minute slowdown ahead!". NO poo poo, I'M AT A DEAD STOP ON I-30 ALREADY. :fuckoff:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So I guess I'm buying a new dashcam a bit sooner than I wanted to. It lost the date and time again today... pulled it down to reset that, didn't notice anything odd. A few hours later I noticed some error kept flashing up, but went away before I could read it. So I pulled it back down, and uh... it's been taking lessons from MacBooks.

Who wants to play poke the LiPo battery?

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Nov 2, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Yeah that just looks like a normal cheapo pack. It probably even has a JST connector.

It's soldered to the board, but yeah, it wouldn't be hard getting another battery in there. I'd just snip the wires though; they're soldered from the other side of the board, which seems to be firmly glued in.

The battery is glued to the board itself though. Getting it removed without puncturing it would be.. interesting.

wolrah posted:

Something tells me mine looks like that too and I probably should open it up. The battery hasn't done anything useful in a few years.

Mine opened itself up sometime yesterday. I set the date and time earlier in the day and it was visibly fine; started seeing an error coming up around 11pm and pulled it down, and...

It's been having issues thinking it was still plugged in for awhile (and staying on until the battery dies); lately it's been either powering off immediately when I shut off the car, or power cycling about 10-20 times. So I'm not really sure the battery is the only issue (the immediate power off would definitely be related, but the rest... maybe, maybe not)

e: well poo poo.. dug out my old one (which was having the same issue thinking it was always plugged in). It powers on, but it looks like the image sensor is dead. And the battery is definitely done on it.. it's not bloated, but it loses the date/time immediately after being unplugged.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 2, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Because I'm wanting something better than the G1W. In its day it was decent, but something with a better image sensor would be nice.

Plus, like I said, the camera has had issues for quite awhile. Darchangel did offer me a super cap that he has sitting around (and he's local to me), so I may try to solder it in, but I'd rather grab something better.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Google Maps went from damned reliable to a goofy pile of crap over the past year. I've been sitting, say, in the parking lot of my destination, and it shows me pretty much on the pin, but wants me to drive out of the parking lot, around the block, come back, and take a different entrance into the parking lot. It's also picked up a really annoying habit of trying to have me drive to a customer's alley, instead of going to the front of their house.

I've been using Google Maps for work for several years. It'd been pretty drat solid up until this year (really, I'd say the past 4-5 months is when it went to poo poo).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Pimp Drakula posted:

Howdy dashcam thread, I browsed through a few pages of topics and figured this was probably the one most closely related to my question, so hopefully I'm in the right place. This year for Christmas I'd like to get my mother a backup camera for her 2009 Accord coupe, and was hoping there might be some knowledge overlap with dashcam expertise. I'd like something that won't require the user to provide a screen (for instance nothing that integrates via Bluetooth with a phone/tablet) or require anything beyond superficial modifications to the car (running a wire into the trunk or something is no big deal). I'm not sure whether this is something I should shop for on Amazon or if I'd have better pricing/selection in a specialty shop (either online or brick & mortar). Does anyone have any experience or knowledge on what to look for in an aftermarket backup camera?

Crutchfield would be your best bet - they have a category dedicated to backup cameras, and a lot of them include a monitor of some sort.

You'll need to run wiring to/from the trunk - for power and video, and probably a way to tie into the reverse lights (a lot of those cameras will burn out if left on continuously). If you're wanting to tie it into whatever factory in-car entertainment display the car has, uh, I'm at a loss on that one.