Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Glorious soviet guitar:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Okay, I actually like this one quite a bit:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

comes along bort posted:

we should give credit where it's due

and if you want to get hyper-specific about this stupid topic dimebag tuned down to f# way back in 95, the same year meshuggah put out destroy erase improve which led to the whole 8 string djent horseshit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgL1KzqODiU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

comes along bort posted:

and if you want to get hyper-specific about this stupid topic dimebag tuned down to f# way back in 95, the same year meshuggah put out destroy erase improve which led to the whole 8 string djent horseshit

djent- the dumbbest loving non-word

Pre-Cambrian Syndrome
Jan 6, 2006

Nobody who plays a telecaster should ever be taken seriously as a guitarist ever.

SearchForDelicious
May 29, 2008

saigon_15 posted:

Nobody who plays a telecaster should ever be taken seriously as a guitarist ever.

loving no

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO

saigon_15 posted:

pete townshend you gently caress

eta: pete knows what to do with ugly guitars

paperchaseguy fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Dec 27, 2013

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

comes along bort posted:

I'm sure every person who ever put strings on a guitar played around with some slack as hell strings at some point because that shits funny if you're high

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

captain capslock i sincerely wish you would stop posting because you really fuckin suck

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Someone post the Dr. Faustus asperger forza post

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

Spanish Manlove posted:

captain capslock i sincerely wish you would stop posting because you really fuckin suck

your sex doll guitar is kinda gross there buddy

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

rezatahs posted:

your sex doll guitar is kinda gross there buddy

she responds well to artificial harmonics

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Third World Reggin posted:

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Rick owns and this was probably a big joke but

- then there's this

:barf:

Also Steve Vai talking about his audition with Frank Zappa (frank trolls the poo poo out of him):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx1RguHA4XE

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Third World Reggin posted:

just look at this rap sheet lol

Spanish Manlove posted:

:(

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

BeefThief posted:

guitarists in groups of more than two or by themselves are insufferable. and yes i play guitar.

gently caress you pat metheny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp1wHZfZz9s

just posting to say your a loving idiot m8

Banque
Mar 15, 2010

this was my first guitar

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Salt Fish posted:

Um, you guys ever heard of russian gypsies from the 1800s?? Noobs in this thread talking about corn or whatever...

edit:

Nice poo poo post, that guitar and all simple romantic-era guitars are sexy as fuch.

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY

Cobalt60 posted:

Nice poo poo post, that guitar and all simple romantic-era guitars are sexy as fuch.

i don't think that was his point. russian folk guitars have 7 strings and there was some discussion about that earlier in the thread

oh vlad vysotsky, taken too soon from us

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known

Dr. Faustus posted:

WOW!!!

I'm seeing post after post from people (most of whom I have raced and hung out with for a LONG time) accusing me of saying things I simply have not said.

Someone even said I have Aspergers Syndrome! Because I reply to posts directed at me? Because I disagree with opinions posted in reply to mine? Well, I should count myself lucky, at least I haven't been accused of being a troll yet!

Have you ever seen The Life of Brian? Remember the song "Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life?" That's what I'm doing with this iteration of the XBox and this racing game. I'm not crying about the sky falling, I'm just saying, "Look at this series, at this developer. Have a little faith!" It's still, as they say, "Early days."

For the record, I've never said or implied the following assertions that have been attributed to me:

"Oh, so because old games were great, a new one is free from doubts and criticisms?"

Nope. All I have said is that because the old games were great, the future ones could be as well. This one could be, too. It's too soon to say!

"Saying we can't criticize something because we don't work there is idiotic."

Of course it is! Saying you can attribute causation for the current state of the product based on videos, a few words from a press release or two; and comparisons to what came on the previous generation IS idiotic, because it's based on speculation and is steeped in tons of negativity.
I happen to be of the opinion that it's a little early to take every criticism at face value. If I'm wrong, I'll come right in here and say so. I promised.

"This whole 'Not up to snuff' thing they trotted out is bullshit."

Pure speculation. It's not worth debating without more data. I see no reason to doubt it, but I'm being "the glass half-full" right now. This could change.

"Less tracks, less cars, not a graphical improvement, less features, evidence of money-grabbing DLC and tokens."

This has all been covered ad nauseum, except for "Not a graphical improvement." I can't comment on the graphics or the money until I experience it myself. Until then I will make few judgements. If I think F4 looks better than 5, I'll say so. I play a lot of PC games, and I often do without AA at high-res, especially if the framerate is high. Anisotropic filtering is important, of course, but I haven't seen a screenshot that makes me cringe and curse Turn10 yet, much less a video. I guess I'm just a fanboy (or a troll). That's what you're all thinking, right?

"This isn't your own personal echo chamber."

It isn't???? This is what you're telling ME??
What gave it away? The "DOGPILE ON FAUSTUS?" Or the "WE MUST RESPOND TO HIS EVERY POST WITH THE OBVIOUS EVIL THAT IS BEING PERPETRATED UPON US NON-ADOPTERS BECAUSE HE IS SUCH A STUPID SHITHEAD WHO CAN'T COUNT CARS AND TRACKS AND MONEY" sentiment that is taking over this thread?? Here I was thinking that this was my bully-pulpit, and you all were my rapt disciples. Boy is MY face red!

"This latest version was gutted, often for no good reason and people are understandably upset about it."

What counts as a good reason for you? I'll be as upset about it as anyone else; but I am not attributing anything yet to naked greed and incompetence, as so many of folks here are. I'm actually willing to sit back, wait, and think before I make a judgement.

"It's a completely rushed money grab with ludicrously priced microtransactions."

Go back through this thread and count how many times I have stated in plain English (American English... sorry, Brits and Aussies and Canucks) that this game is suffering terribly from console launch-itis. Early-adopters of new hardware and games get the short end and almost always have. I have not been in the least unrealistic about this. Why are you all still beating me up about this?

"It isn't as simple as them removing some things because it's a rushed launch game; there are plenty of very obvious things they have changed or removed because they want suckers like you to give them more money."

I can see what has been removed, but why should your interpretation of the motivation behind the sad changes be the only possible interpretation? I want the new game and console, so I'm a sucker. Fine. I'm sure you never spend your disposable income on things you don't need and therefore are perfectly justified in calling me a sucker.

"Your guitar analogy is hosed too, a more apt analogy would be asking in musicians lounge why the only new guitar fender sells is now a 5 string, and why they're selling a 6th string upgrade kit for twice the price of the guitar."

So my "guitar analogy" in unworkable, but your "guitar analogy" captures the spirit of this situation perfectly. Well, poo poo. gently caress me, man. I tried.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

how can a man so humorless exist here for 12 years.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

saigon_15 posted:

Slide a telecaster into your cavern like colon and ram yourself repeatedly into a stomach high guard rail thanks.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Dr. Faustus posted:

That's all it took? So, the years of practice? Nevermind, here:

In 2001 the SA Musician's Lounge proposed a little solo contest. The idea was that you choose a backing track from a list of mp3s and then lay down a solo on the instrument of your choice. This was my entry, but the contest never actually happened.
I used my homebuilt Strat-style and the pair of Peavey combos that someone posted earlier. No effects, 75% gain, a little room reverb. I was going for a Robben Ford vibe but the chord progression was odd. As usual, a little EVH and Paul Gilbert found their way in there, but that's what I intended to share for the contest 12 years ago:

http://tindeck.com/listen/clxa

Later on, I was learning to use Reaper and Amplitube 3 on my laptop, and I decided to test out its Fender amps by trying to make a dual-amp setup to re-create the intro to Texas Flood. I programmed Toontrack drums, played bass, and played the guitar part. I stopped right where the vocals should start. Same ugly guitar.

http://tindeck.com/listen/mpih

And just for your amusement (horror), this is a live recording of me and a couple friends banging out the live version of Joe Satriani's "Memories" from his live EP. It's just my red Ibanez 770DX through a Rocktron Chameleon. This is the live mix right off the board. None of us could quite remember the whole tune so we took turns getting lost, but I still enjoy it.

http://tindeck.com/listen/mghk

That's this ugly guitar:

Sorry for ruining your thread. I'm still getting used to being stalked.

Hey, I just listened to these Tin Deck files, and tried to get through some of the YouTube posts on the previous page.

I have a serious question. Who sits down and listens to music like this, and when? More importantly, are you, like, full of irony while listening? Do you "take it seriously?" Are you marveling at the technical execution or just chilling and enjoying the music?

What is this music genre even called, really? Do you listen to this style most of the time, or only like 5% of the time, interspersed with other stuff? How much do you hate rap? With all your heart or do you say you like "the old school stuff" because it's what you think music nerds want to hear? When Steve Vai goes backstage and it's all dudes, does he have sexual relations with those dudes, or just autograph cocks with a Sharpie before bathing his hands in magic oils and taking an early nap? Do you feel this music somehow incorporates many genres, and is thus a "super-genre," better than any others because of it's tremendous inclusivity? When you think of music as a movie soundtrack, where the living gently caress does this music find a home?

I'm genuinely interested in what appears to be a thriving and dedicated subculture I know nothing about.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Harry in Rio posted:

i don't think that was his point. russian folk guitars have 7 strings and there was some discussion about that earlier in the thread

oh vlad vysotsky, taken too soon from us

Sure, and not to get too nerdy, but most early-music instruments with different string / fret arrangements also were classified as something other than guitar (or guitarra).

But yeah, you're right that I jumped the gun but I can't help rushing to the defense of those sweet, delicious, peanut-shaped guitars.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Dr. Faustus posted:

Ok, whew. When a dude with an Aatrek fruit-hat calls me, "Pumpkin," it gives me a serious case of the, "Hey dude I'm 42 and, yeah, I'm into Star Trek but trust me, the stars won't align for us."

But you see, now you finally understand the "You Suck" on my old Kramer Striker 3000ST from 1988.
It was to motivate me to try hard. And I did, and the results, however feeble they might be, are online right here for you to pick apart. You won't, though; because you have nothing to come back with except hollow, catty, try-hard "the-bitch-is-back" retorts. To the back of the line with you.

Anything else you want to say, save it for PMs; because you've played your hand here and your bluff failed. Adios, Senora. Vayos con Dios.

holy lol

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

Dr. Faustus posted:

That's this ugly guitar:

Sorry for ruining your thread. I'm still getting used to being stalked.

haha a gross natural finish strat and a locking nut HSH zebra abomination

sorry for ruining your thread with these quote unquote ugly guitars :smug:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Spanish Manlove posted:

quote:

Cobalt60
:words: What is this music genre even called, really?
What do you mean? There are three tracks, and they are all extremely different. The first is literally some practice jazz-fusion backup track for people to jam over, to develop their ears and learn how to play over difficult chord progressions. It's an exercise, not a song. Would I listen to it? Well, I do, because I am pleased with what I played over it; but otherwise, no, I wouldn't. It's just a study aid.

The second track was just a proof-of-concept testing some recording gear. But it's clearly a texas blues, and if you'd like to hear the original, just google "Stevie Ray Vaughan Texas Flood" and you'll see it's a gorgeous 12-bar blues in G about a guy who's cut off from his girl by bad weather and he's down about it. I love that tune. I love the blues.

The third track is one of those 90's guitar-hero instrumentals played by three dudes who can't quite remember how it goes (me and two old bandmates). The original is very pretty, google "Joe Satriani Memories." I don't dig much of Satch's stuff, but that one stands out for me. That style of music was really big for awhile, then it faded away to a core (aging) audience represented by yours truly. You'll understand, someday, when the music of your youth makes people cringe and insult you. It's just part of growing up.

To sum up, I'm a guitarist. I listen to a lot of guitar players. But I also love a lot of other stuff which I won't mention because no matter what I say it'll just get mocked.

quote:

Ootrek
how can a man so humorless exist here for 12 years.
SA has changed a lot in 12 years. That post was in a games thread in response to a lot of rumor and speculation (some of which turned out to accurate, and some which didn't, and the rest is still developing.) But that one post is taken out of context in that it was a response to several pages of negativity and bitching, and I was attempting to lighten the mood and be reassuring. I'm not humorless at all.

Haven't you noticed what's happened since Halloween? Everybody is trying to be the new forums comedy superstar but all any of you know how to do is hate on everything. People who like games can only hate on games. Same with music, movies, books, any topic that comes up, it's all vitriol all the time. Sometimes it works for a cheap giggle but mostly it just turns into "kill the guy with the ball." It wasn't even this bad back in 2000 before GBS was really moderated and it was full of major drama vortexes, people still had fun, and there was room for more than one viewpoint.

I like to discuss things, I like to have a good time, I don't like to hate on poo poo. It's not my thing. I guess it's just hard to be lighthearted when the prevailing paradigm is a bunch of shut-ins trying to out-hate each other. I guess it's rubbing off on me.

And mclast you're crazy. Those instruments are beautiful and they can sound like just about any make or model of guitar out there, and I love them. I built that Strat-style in 1992 with my Dad, and was going to paint it but never got around to it. It's very dear to me.

And all of you people are still throwing around the term autism in a way that makes it completely meaningless. I like to post clear, concise ideas with proper punctuation and grammar. I respond to questions and comments directed at or about me. I enjoy how it drives some of you crazy, because you are usually completely unaware of the fact that if you'd just leave me alone, I'd go back to lurking Games and D&D and Musician's Lounge and the Book Barn. GBS 2.0 is a complete cesspool full of noise and cranky toddlers.

quote:

Frankenstyle
So you kids remember that if you want to make a living making music, the person you are is just as important as musician you are. And most importantly, don't be a Dr. Faustus.
I wouldn't have ever posted in this thread if certain stalkers hadn't posted my collection to insult it and me. Try to keep that in mind.

Jedrick
Mar 21, 2010

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:

so ugg

Dr. Faustus posted:

I am a big gay baby and I smell bad.
only ugly guitar players itt

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Spanish Manlove posted:

help me spinner-man

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known

Dr. Faustus posted:

SA has changed a lot in 12 years. That post was in a games thread in response to a lot of rumor and speculation (some of which turned out to accurate, and some which didn't, and the rest is still developing.) But that one post is taken out of context in that it was a response to several pages of negativity and bitching, and I was attempting to lighten the mood and be reassuring. I'm not humorless at all.

Haven't you noticed what's happened since Halloween? Everybody is trying to be the new forums comedy superstar but all any of you know how to do is hate on everything. People who like games can only hate on games. Same with music, movies, books, any topic that comes up, it's all vitriol all the time. Sometimes it works for a cheap giggle but mostly it just turns into "kill the guy with the ball." It wasn't even this bad back in 2000 before GBS was really moderated and it was full of major drama vortexes, people still had fun, and there was room for more than one viewpoint.

I like to discuss things, I like to have a good time, I don't like to hate on poo poo. It's not my thing. I guess it's just hard to be lighthearted when the prevailing paradigm is a bunch of shut-ins trying to out-hate each other. I guess it's rubbing off on me.

ok

SearchForDelicious
May 29, 2008

Dr. Faustus posted:

And all of you people are still throwing around the term autism in a way that makes it completely meaningless. I like to post clear, concise ideas with proper punctuation and grammar. I respond to questions and comments directed at or about me. I enjoy how it drives some of you crazy, because you are usually completely unaware of the fact that if you'd just leave me alone, I'd go back to lurking Games and D&D and Musician's Lounge and the Book Barn. GBS 2.0 is a complete cesspool full of noise and cranky toddlers.

SearchForDelicious posted:

*dr faustus plays a loud as gently caress divebomb through a marhsall stack, exits thread to thunderous applause*

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known

that was a good encore, he played his best hit "unfunny verbose twat pt. xii"

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
Steve Vai got to play with David Lee Roth while he was probably blowing 2-3 eight balls a day and that's pretty cool tbh.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Irradiation posted:

Steve Vai got to play with David Lee Roth while he was probably blowing 2-3 eight balls a day and that's pretty cool tbh.

This, unironically.

Though Steve says he doesn't do drugs. He seems hippy-dippy enough to mean it, but I remember a story he or Satriani told about the two of them dropping acid in NJ together one time.

Also, I unironically enjoyed CC's last post. That guitar is very funny.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Dr. Faustus posted:

This, unironically.

Though Steve says he doesn't do drugs. He seems hippy-dippy enough to mean it, but I remember a story he or Satriani told about the two of them dropping acid in NJ together one time.

Also, I unironically enjoyed CC's last post. That guitar is very funny.

Post the story please.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Salt Fish posted:

Post the story please.
I would be happy to, but it was from a dual Satch/Vai print interview in one of the guitar mags of the day (either Guitar For The Practicing Musician, Guitar World, or Guitar Player) and Google didn't help much. It was just a couple sentences in the whole interview.
For those who don't know (care) Steve Vai supposedly went to Joe Satriani with a guitar and a set of strings for his first guitar lesson, and they've been tight ever since.

http://tp.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=504926&page=9&pp=20

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

hey faustus, who is stalking you and why are they doing so? i'm asking because this is the first thread i've ever seen you in and you went completely batshit on me in like 2 posts. are there people following you around the forums just to gently caress with you?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for asking. I don't want to get into it because it will start a bunch more poo poo.

Basically, there was a thread where we were talking about money and game consoles and stuff, and I posted some pics of my guitars for reasons that made sense in that thread. Then I got dogpiled and of course as soon as the UGLY GUITARS thread popped up, the first two pages contained those same pictures, posted by those same people; and I actually saw it coming before I even clicked on page one.

Let's not bother with it, because I am interested in remaining earnest and honest no matter how much it bothers some GBS posters; but I don't want to constantly war with people because the Internet Makes You Stupid.

PM me if you really care, but why would you?

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Dr. Faustus posted:

Thanks for asking. I don't want to get into it because it will start a bunch more poo poo.

Basically, there was a thread where we were talking about money and game consoles and stuff, and I posted some pics of my guitars for reasons that made sense in that thread. Then I got dogpiled and of course as soon as the UGLY GUITARS thread popped up, the first two pages contained those same pictures, posted by those same people; and I actually saw it coming before I even clicked on page one.

Let's not bother with it, because I am interested in remaining earnest and honest no matter how much it bothers some GBS posters; but I don't want to constantly war with people because the Internet Makes You Stupid.

PM me if you really care, but why would you?

cool thanks for clarifying that you are probably crazy. no one is STALKING you and you should probably find your way out of gbs and possibly the internet in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

bunky posted:

cool thanks for clarifying that you are probably crazy. no one is STALKING you and you should probably find your way out of gbs and possibly the internet in general.
I can't reason you out of a position you didn't reason yourself into.

I've been here 12 years and I don't need your directions, cool? Cool.

You're the stupid bitch who demanded more than you were willing or able to share and you're the one who doesn't know where you are.

cool thanks

• Locked thread