Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

So if VINTAGE NOS CLEAN BURNING TUBE COOKED GOLD PLATED 1950s tone dadding is the stupidest music poo poo then what is good and pure in the industry?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

AxeFX / Helix / Kemper

I hate that I agree with this.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Schpyder posted:

I'm uncertain if this belongs here or in the non-existent awesome music poo poo thread.

https://reverb.com/item/3326921-gibson-sg90-double-1988-aqua-sparkle-burst

Finish rules, SG shape is classic, everything else onboard awful.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I like rosewood a lot. Feels and sounds great. Sometimes the grain can be absolutely gorgeous but honestly more companies need to look towards the future and work on newer fretboard ideas. We don't have to stick to the same wood we've been using forever.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The less wood in a guitar the worse it sounds in my experience. I'm all for seeing that balance shifted and would play the heck out of a great sounding synthetic material guitar but so far I haven't been impressed.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Oh boy he sure did slam 0-60 fast enough there

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Octatonic posted:

Electric guitars are a cheap consumer item as much as they are musical instruments, and it's dumb as gently caress to me that guitarists don't really want to acknowledge that.

I'm with you for the most part but I think that's unfair to many of the small builders making amazing guitars full of hard work and personal touch at every level. When it comes to $2,500 Les Pauls coming off the factory though, yeah. It's silly.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

This entire page is exactly the kind of stupid music content I need and desire

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

It's spongy!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

8/9 string guitar.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

So would that be more or less horrible than a 12 string to keep in tune.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Muscle memory the genre. I've tried to appreciate that but it's a complete snooze fest.

The actual part at :50 is cool sounding though. It's a shame that's the only idea in the entire song that does anything for me.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I've been listening to a good amount of Lightning Bolt and I just want to say they're peak stupid music poo poo but in the best way and if y'all don't listen to Lightning Bolt get on that.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Ashbory bass/Chiquita guitar is tbh the greatest gear combo

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

In hilarious self owning fashion I would buy the hell out of a few of the waza crafts if they were true bypass. I love the BOSS look and sound but their buffers are no good for my ears.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Guitar electronics soldering tip #55: throw your loving guitar in an oven, burn down the house, open a hell portal

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Yeah sorry I would play the poo poo out of that and love every second of it

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

It's just a buffer pedal though? Does what it says on the tin etc etc

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The Muppets On PCP posted:

hey guys hartley peavey here

i heard you kids are into this whole "gent" thing, which in my day was a nudie mag full of big ol' titties

anyway i got that little octaroon boy from periphery to slap his name on my latest revision of the vtm head since i haven't come up with a single new design since james brown left for kustom 20 years ago

the price? oh just a measley $1900. but hey now you can't put a price on sounding like you just plugged a metal zone directly into your computer soundcard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zVWiM-1HOU

The demo sucks horribly like most NAMM demos but I have a ton of faith in Misha. He's an honest guy with a great ear and this and his new pedal coming out are both full of cool features and are likely very good in person. Is that really the street price though because drat. It fits in the competition at that range but I think it would do way better under $1,500.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

NonzeroCircle posted:

I want Devin Townsend's Ocean Machine pedal to come out ASAP. Gonna drive my bassist mate mad with endless ambience.

Devin is slowly becoming my favorite guitarist at the moment and one of the things that finally pushed me over the edge into getting fully into him was watching him play around with and talk about that pedal. I need it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I just don't understand paying more than, let's say, $7,000 for an amp based on tone, features and reliability. There's absolutely nothing that can't be done in that price range.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I'm 100% in favor of getting rid of tubes forever but I've yet to hear or play through a non tube amp that sounds and feels nearly as good as a tube version. I haven't tried an Axe or Kemper which likely get very, very close though. In a mix I doubt I could tell between X real amp, X axe fx model, and X kemper profile of course but in a room with a guitar plugged in a tube amp is always going to win.

Features, ease of recording in any environment, consistency of sound and control though? Digital amps all the way.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Africa is literally one of the most important songs ever to me and I find that loving hilarious.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Snowy posted:

I played that Toto song at work and I think it got me close to getting my rear end kicked. I didn't know that many people could hear until a bunch of them were like DUDE WHAT THE gently caress.

Then I played Hotel California and my friend started laughing so hard he pulled a muscle and had to use all the muscle pain gel from the first aid kit.

Total success.

Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

HandlingByJebus posted:

Toto loving rules. Right after Rush, anyway.

I bless the rains down in Africa...

My favorite thing about Africa is that you definitely can not see Kilimanjaro from the Serengeti. It's kind of the point of the song but still. Hail Toto.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

A regular old dude jamming at home isn't really stupid music poo poo idk

Content: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idY1boBrzso

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I tried my best to get into pedal building but got discouraged and gave up like a chump. The thing is I'd really like to do it and turn it into a business of some sort. I guess it takes effort though eh?

My issue was that I never found a good book or guide that I liked. Only a handful of blogs that seemed disorganized. If I had a book about electronics soldering that was comprehensive but simple and clear I doubt I would have any issues.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Peetown Manning posted:

group shot of stupid before my partner and I get smart and downsize

rip ears and back

owns

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

whiter than a Wilco show posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ni2n1ICM4To

The last line of the only comment on this video is peakest stupid music poo poo possible.

There's an actual truth to having extra headstock weight/having something clamped on it. Not as much about tone since it would be very hard to hear in practice but it can be useful when detecting and temporarily fixing dead spots in the instrument.

It is the absolutely most hilariously guitarist question though.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The sweeping at around 2:25 is the funniest loving thing and I don't know why

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I started to say I can't hate that because you never know when you'll need to fight someone with a shank but to be completely honest I would rely on a Telecaster alone as a weapon to end 99% of battles.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

add in some whale call noises and some pan flute and you got a new age hit on your hands

I'm so into that kind of bullshit lately thanks to checking out some stuff Devin Townsend listens to

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Sludgegrass

Doomgrass

Dronegrass

Anyone want to start a band?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

MY TUBE AMP IS THE GREATEST AMP EVER MADE, AND IT HAS BEEN KNOWN TO CURE MANY FORMS OF CANCER AND EVEN MAKES YOU COFFEE IN THE MORNING!

IT IS FAR SUPERIOR TO YOUR PALTRY SOLID STATE GARBAGE AND YOU ARE A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING IF YOU PREFER THE SOUND OF A SOLID STATE AMP OVER A TUBE AMP!!!

LONG LIVE THE POWER OF THE ALMIGHTY VACUUM TUBE, AND ITS RIGHTEOUS TONE DOMINANCE WILL REIGN SUPREME FOREVER AND EVER!!!!

-me unironically

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Seriously though I hate that genre so much. Even people like Yvette Young who go in a more musical direction completely fall flat for me. It's just not good. I don't want to sound like a stuck in the past purist but that stuff sounds so clinical and modern in the worst way. And to be honest you might as well listen to Bach played on the harpsichord. A million times more interesting and essentially hits all the same marks.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

FiestaNinja posted:

Math-rock isn't always boring noodling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqgNRi9eLAY

I think it's got something to do with extended range instruments being forced in to songs that didn't need them (see the tapping stuff earlier), for some reason none of the enjoyable math I can think of uses any.

I dunno, the only math rock I really enjoy anymore is Tricot. I love them to death though.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=uvMyCFAVIqs seriously unnnnf this band

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Spanish Manlove posted:

They're the best pooping magazine, I miss getting them.

I just got the new catalog yesterday, hell yeah. It's the best way to browse gear and get GAS.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Concatenation posted:

i discovered this project of colin marston's the other month, for people who think that portal doesn't have enough portal in it. peep dat EP price on bandcamp tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_R-u1Fku1k

I can appreciate this for how ferocious and ridiculous it is but after 10 seconds I'd rather listen to Mitochondrion or y'know, even Portal.

Mitochondrion kicks rear end

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Tapes are pretty popular and though I understand why because physical things are cool in a world of digital puke, they're still TAPES. Vinyl + digital, everything else can get fuuuuuucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

CaptainViolence posted:

I'm gonna press this post to 8 track

You're gonna catch these hands!!!

...and the pitch! posted:

I'll never understand. At least with vinyl you can roll a joint on the sleeve.

Tapes were poo poo but then maybe if I had better tape players. Ehhh.

I mean, they're cool. I don't have anything against nostalgia either but tape collecting should be relegated to weird cool thrift finds, not 2017 albums. It's a technology that doesn't hold any real usefulness or appeal to me personally.

• Locked thread