Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Roland Synth guitar reporting in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Why the gently caress do you have a hard on for Ibanez RGs? Please tell me they are all not stock too besides the lovely looks.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

homeless snail posted:

tbh I'm too busy playing my many guitars to sit them down and take pics, but I guess if my 'tars looked as loving stupid and ugly as doc's I'd probably want to show them off to the world too

Do you own 7 Squire strats all black with white pick guards that's pretty much the only way you could make a collection more retarded looking than docs.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

He's got all those links on standby just like I did when I was 13 playing in a cover band and posting on ULTIMATE-GUITAR.

All I can say is I hope you become the next Jason Becker.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Dewgy posted:

if he argues hard enough he'll suddenly stop being terminally dull irl

He can argue as much as he wants he still owns way too many Ibanez guitars to not be dull.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Thanks for that wiki quality post on the The Rise of Ibanez.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Dr. Faustus posted:

You are stupid.

All of my instruments have different electronics with very different tones, and I augment them with home-modded switches to make drastic changes in gain structure, treble response, and attack and sustain.

I don't believe you. We want to see frequency graphs plox.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Xen Tricks posted:

You spent thousands of dollars on different bodies for pickups and lol I can do that too it's called a computer or effects pedals

I bet those 4 guitars I saw that look like a paint swap totally have like $5000 worth of "tone difference" between them

e: hey look I can make "Drastic changes in attack and sustain" with this too and it's free with an y synth ever made

It's funny because if you ever watch rig rundowns with a lot of the 80s and 90s guys now they all switched to Fractal AxeFXs because they can just feed their old master recordings in and get exact models and patches made in minutes. It also costs a gently caress ton less when touring when you don't need to haul a ton of poo poo.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Dr. Faustus posted:

They would tell you nothing. Instead, just listen to the first two tindeck tracks I posted. They are the same instrument, yet they sound nothing alike. Welcome to the matrix.

I was going to dick wave how I work in live production but it wouldn't matter because you still wouldn't understand and at the end of the day you're still in your basement while I'm setting up and tearing rigs everyday.

Photex fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Dec 28, 2013

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Dr. Faustus posted:

No man, I wanna grok your real life cred, tell me about your live production. What instrumentation is involved in your show and how much redundancy do you keep around? What gear do you use?
Wave your dick, I am an old hand at live production and dick waving, too.

Don't leave me :flaccid:.

sorry it's a 4 hour minimum freelancers fee for me to give you a show rundown.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Dr. Faustus posted:

. Sorry if you can't understand being passionate about craftsmanship or a well-made authentic instrument with quality woods and appointments, but you can also eat me

Yea because when I think of high quality woods I definitely think of basswood which is used in almost every low end guitar, pretty sure they used basswood in the vai jem to cut that stupid loving handle in the body.

Edit: I'm not going to discuss how much I make as that's uncouth as gently caress, let's just say I can get more tonal possibilities with that money than Faust has in that whole collection.

Photex fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Dec 28, 2013

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Wait you're 40 and still living in an apartment? I'm beginning to doubt your ability to afford my 4 hour minimum.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Dr. Faustus posted:

Now who's bragging?
Yeah, I am one of just a few blue-collar men in their 40's who don't own a home after the 2009 Great Recession.

Not bragging just good to see I'm ahead if the curve by 13 years.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

thelightguy posted:

Nobody really cares how many guitars you own, only how pretentious you are about them. I mean gently caress, I have five sitting behind my couch but i don't pretend that my 1968 gibson falcon amplifier is any more special than a laptop and dsp running an amp modeler - if anything it is far more limited in potential and far more expensive to maintain than if i just sucked it up and bought a JBL box and a programmable modeling head.

and seriously, i can count on one hand the number of touring professionals i have encountered that had speakers in those 4x12 cabs stacked behind them. poo poo is set dressing and nothing more, computers do all the hard work and extra guitars are just for changing tunings - those modelers can make a strat sound like a humbucking les paul and you wouldn't know the difference if you didn't see it with your own eyes.

I work live production as well and this is all pretty much true, most guitarists will have one cab just to mic and everything else is DI'd.

Also if you're the lighting guy stop wasting time looking at audio poo poo and hang your loving lights already.

Sincerely: A guy who is always waiting on the lighting guys.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Earlier in the thread I posted one of the guitars I actually owned as a teenager a Roland 707, I totally forgot about this other monstrosity that I owned, as ugly as it looks it was pretty loving dreamy to play.

Photex fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Dec 30, 2013

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

If you want to see some really ugly guitars look at everything that Amir from Orgy designed with Jackson when Orgy was super popular

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Cannot Find Server posted:

his guitars would be awful in any other band, but they fit in with orgy's ridiculous over the top image perfectly

shame that they only made two good albums and then the lead singer fired the band

When I was 16 I was lucky enough to own a Roland 707 during that industrial metal phase of music. I sold it to some guy in LA who sent me an autographed orgy poster. I didn't make the connection it was Amir till I saw an interview saying in early 2002 he was buying up all the Roland guitars so he could put the electronics into those Jacksons since they couldn't do it themselves.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Dr. Faustus posted:

Woah. No comment.

I don't think it's lovely, but of course you all will.

It's called Everyman and I wrote it in 1994 but this is the latest version I recorded, sometime in 2003. I did this whole recording myself, using the home-made Strat-style and my lovely old Cort bass. The drums are from an old Roldand DR-5 and the vocals are all me. It was meant to be a kinda heavy King's X style blues:

http://tindeck.com/listen/smfs

Or if you don't like that, then you won't like this:

http://tindeck.com/listen/kjky

I have lots more. You'll hate all of it.

How about you just gently caress yourself?

why is it all boring. I mean no one really listens to this music anymore do they?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Cobalt60 posted:

Zero people

Serious follow-up: does a person like this take their life work seriously, or is he just a chill bro having all the fun a 15-year old can dream of?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzZhSstHRqo

They fell off pretty hard after becoming guitar hero famous, I'll admit I used to listen to them but Power Metal just doesn't do it for me anymore.

edit: I'll still throw a dragonforce-esque album before i listen to music like EVURMAHN

Photex fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jan 2, 2014

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Dr. Faustus posted:

Even bass players like to have some good high end on their tone.

Ah crap, it's about bedtime. Yell at me and I'll come back when I get to work and have some down time.

I think you mean midrange.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

What I don't understand is some of these guys in their 40s and 50s still not realizing "hey i'm not to good at this lead business maybe I should become a solid rhythm guitarist"

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

skudmunky posted:

The first video I went to after this one was https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuochKeuoTc

Which features this double necked, headless, bass / guitar beauty:

:whoptc:

going through all these videos now i'm personally loving the SEO the guitarist is performing on all his videos. Every video has this comment at least 3 times by him

quote:

Vince Palamara is a leading civilian authority on the United States Secret Service, especially with regards to the assassination of President John F. Kennedy. Palamara's work has appeared in over 40 books by other authors, in print articles, and internet articles, YouTube, newspapers, radio, at national conferences, and The History Channel

:wtc:

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

jesus she reminds me a lot of Paz

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Sascha from KMFDM used to play something like this in the early 80s except it only had 3 Strings, i'm not sure if it had midi capabilities but I wouldn't be surprised if it did considering the style of music.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Dr. Faustus posted:

I look on the bright side: No child-support, no alimony.

are you saying you're so insufferable even in real life your theoretical wife would leave you and take the kids?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Harry in Rio posted:

and this where i belong when i'm not tending livestock, or dealing with the other myriads of poo poo in life... i love recording and i do it almost daily. sometimes i'll just record a cello piece or some stupid guitar stuff for a friend doing a youtube video - but pushing 50, hey, i'm loving happy, happier than i have ever been in life.

Dude...I work with a lot gear too but what the gently caress do you have going on here

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

killhamster posted:

4 mixers incomprehensibly chained together

I noticed that I was trying to follow the runs but I'm on my cell. I just uh don't understand this I see three 4 channel and one 8 channel, are those bringanothers? (Behringer)

Oh wait are you using a patch bay to basically use those 4s as expansions or something ?

Edit: ah okay figured it out, you've got a 8 channel snake or something and you're using the stereo outs into either a patch bay or those presonus racks?

Photex fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jan 4, 2014

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Harry in Rio posted:

yep, i was really over-miccing a drum kit.. i was just trying something a little different

fair enough it works , it may not be pretty but once I noticed the snake and realized those were stereo outs it made sense. I don't quite understand the love for the bbe though everyone says its like taking a pillow off your instrument :shrug:

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

stratdax posted:

Stop playing guitar, become a producer.

Or become a live sound engineer, its much more fun except if you're like me who works a lot of small function and corporate stuff. You always get asked "hey are you the DJ?"
No sir/ma'am I have an education.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

These look like ripped off Blackmachine's

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

drunk asian neighbor posted:

I mean I have an EDB-405, I'm guessing EDB is for ErgoDyne Bass but the 405 is a mystery as it's a 5-string soooo

Also I used to think the RG7xx series implied 7 strings so :iiam:

the 4 is always series and the last number usually denotes string count if not stock.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

a kitten posted:

kmfdm sucks

for content i tried finding a picture of sascha again with his M16 bass with no luck :/

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

White Dog Eggs posted:

Woah, I have no idea how they got that finish, but it's foul.

I believe it's dipped almost like tie dye

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Tosin is so classy and just an amazing player so he's allowed to play ugly guitars.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

comes along bort posted:

imho he's basically this generation's steve vai

I don't find the music as pretentious and wanky as Vai. There is a lot more rhythm elements in his playing than just shredding out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihqT1aA4Q88

but to each his own.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Declan MacManus posted:

this is fuckin rad

It's the most tasteful guitar playing in thread btw

needed more looks at the bass player because he's definitely wailing on that bass too.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Borderview posted:

ewwww... his tone is horrible. Sounds like a cheap multi-fx pedal from the early 90s.

to be fair, it's a video for EMG to show off their humbuckers which suck dick and he doesn't even use.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

that's the exact part i was thinking of too, bass player is going ape poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Bill Posters posted:

bass players are the loving worst.

Hey, some of us like to just keep it classy.

• Locked thread