Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

Dr. Faustus posted:

No, I actually think it's a good idea to drop $6,000 on a brand new $2,000 guitar that just came off the assembly line and then had $4,000 of UV light and chiseling and finish crackling done to it to make it look like it's 40 years old; so I can look like I've been playing since I was in the womb to show you how awesome I am before I even play the first bar of the song.

"Look how many years' worth of cigarettes have burned my headstock before I bought it last week!"

They're designed after famous artist guitars and some people want to own a replica of what that artist is using on stage. Or of a guitar they saw at Hard Rock or something. It's not to fake usage to try and get credit for the 'damage' on the guitar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.
Steve Vai is really good at releasing albums with only one good song on them if that. And playing ugly guitars

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

Dr. Faustus posted:

Nope. Some are reliced to match specific instruments, but you can order relicing on anything from the Custom Shop, and if you think it's not for fake cred then I've got bad news for you.

http://www.fender.com/custom-shop/store/

I didn't realize this was a thing

worse than pre-ripped jeans

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

Irradiation posted:

Explorers own but boy are they loving heavy.

I haven't played an explorer before but my warlock weighs 12 lbs--double what my strat weighs -- and it's loving smooth sounding

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

here's a wasted piece of wood

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

The only way wood density won't matter is if you're playing a digital amp. those can make a top of the line les paul and a $50 guitar bought at walmart sound exactly the same. Then you're getting into the elitist $2500 tube stack versus the $450 digital amp debate

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

comes along bort posted:

i saw this steve vai thing vh1 classic played years back and i guess it was the part of the show where he farts around with the whammy bar. anyway he goes on this rant about britney spears for some reason even though it was definitely in the mid-2000s, so past when she was in the public spotlight or anyone normal gave a poo poo about her.

then he ends by undermining his autist spiel by saying she's okay all music is good, but adds that he bets "she can't do this" then makes one last triumphant fart noise with his whammy bar because he a man in his late forties totally showed that chick half his age what's what because she didn't spend her teenage years studiously learning the subtle mechanics of the floyd rose double-locking floating tremolo system

nothing riles up a metal crowd like making fun of pop music icons

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

comes along bort posted:

and if you want to get hyper-specific about this stupid topic dimebag tuned down to f# way back in 95, the same year meshuggah put out destroy erase improve which led to the whole 8 string djent horseshit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgL1KzqODiU

I'm sure every person who ever put strings on a guitar played around with some slack as hell strings at some point because that shits funny if you're high

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

it doesn't matter how ugly your guitars are if you're playing digital anyway because people that play that poo poo aren't serious anyway

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

holy loving poo poo

that's not even a guitar dude

dr faustus is going to poo poo on your dinner for this one. just you wait

ZombieParts fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 29, 2013

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

Homestar Runner posted:

If that guitar could talk, it'd say 'LOOK AWAY I'M HIDEOUS'

yeah, that drapery looking poo poo gots to go. unless you're steve vai there's no reason to have that

What do you guys think of the same guitar in white?

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

how does a drum sperg even work? their equipment is too much to become a collector

ZombieParts fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Dec 29, 2013

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

Dr. Faustus posted:

You built a guitar out of raw materials.
Which one of them can post a video or an MP3 of their talent? (it won't happen, they're too terrified of their own)

my licks are for the ladies:smug:

btw- awesome tar

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

i'm buzzed right now so macho man versus beteljews is pretty awesome

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

HollisBrown posted:

Jesus dude WTF is wrong with you?

leave him alone he thinks he's winning

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

comes along bort posted:

some are okay and others are ugly, but the truly hideous thing is the music that's made with them

I just don't know why he has so many of the same god drat guitar!! I hope he can explain that poo poo. How many Vai-ish guitars does a man that isn't steve vai need??

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

it's too funny to call it ugly

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

that's the big joke in the guitar equipment world. the cheapest off the shelf equipment is probably closer to what famous rock players were using when they got famous than the modern 'artist series' guitars that bedroom virtuosos crave

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

Bolek posted:

i bought a cheap used prs knockoff Jay Turser and i don't have any problems reaching the higher frets. it's actually one of the best guitars ive ever played, barring the cheapish nut and pots

Cheap guitars are fine and can even be awesome. Most people just need to practice. I went to a guitar clinic a while back and zakk wylde was talking and signing autographs. This kid walks up with a squier strat for him to sign and some spergs made a comment about squier. The kid heard it and zakk heard it and was like "something wrong with squier??" and he plugged the kid's guitar into a little 10 watt marshall and played the devil out of it. He gave a play what you got, equipment doesn't matter speech and it was something i wish i had heard back when i first started playing.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

GreatGreen posted:

Every time I almost write Zakk Wylde off as a ridiculous cartoon redneck biker version of his former self again I hear about him doing something kick rear end like that and just decide to keep liking the hell out of him.

that's not an improper description of zakk wylde. He's basically the duck dynasty of the metal world. has been since 1989 when his country roots crept into his playing

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

comes along bort posted:

lol you develop serious country roots as a jew from the new jersey suburbs

the term you're looking for is 'drat yankee'

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

thelightguy posted:

I would buy them. Of course, the first electric guitar I ever wanted to buy was an epiphone les paul custom in cream with gold hardware and triple humbuckers so I am probably not the person to go to on "good looking guitars."

And I still want a fender jaguar in seafoam green.

don't get that gold hardware on an epiphone..poo poo rubs off

Rhopunzel posted:

Yeah, this pretty much. I didn't figure it out until I was like 18 after I'd had my mid-level Jackson for a year and assumed I was playing better because of it, and then picked up my Squier one day and was able to play the poo poo out of it.

I wasn't collecting multiple instruments like some of these guys but I would get in a rut with my playing and convince myself I just needed new gear when all i really needed was to branch out my practice a little.

ZombieParts fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Dec 31, 2013

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

Goobish posted:

can't forget this classic!

also this

that's the kind of motherfucker you just can't believe put his picture online seriously and yet..there it is

i wonder what he's doing now?

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

Goobish posted:

Oh snap i didn't know he is a goon. Not that that makes him any better. Pretty much makes him worse.

I'm pretty sure that guy owns

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

dude, it's japan...

they get a pass for any weird poo poo

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

Snowy posted:

Oh god holy poo poo that's awesome

why

because he's exactly like most of you?

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

comes along bort posted:

yep. he's living the dream

the best part is his quake iii arena clan is named sailor scouts

It was sobering to find out how many rock heroes and actors are just nerdy guys who play consoles and WOW in their off time. I remember watching Cribs for the first time and realizing gangsta rap was just an act and these guys were just sitting at home watching cartoons.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

Fair Hallion posted:

are cutaways really necessary on an acoustic

seriously, who's gonna be shredding those higher frets.

I mean if Steve Vai was a Boy Scout leader and he's sitting round the campfire then yea sure, he'd wanna break out the ol' dreadnaught or w/ever the gently caress they're called, and shred the hell out of some folk songs

but no

i refuse to believe you're serious

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

Well, the guy makes his living by selling "USA MADE" or whatever so you can't expect him to actually admit that a Mexican Strat or an asian Epiphone sounds as good and plays as well as the USA counterpart that costs 3 times as much.

He's appealing to the guitar snob demographic which has a lot of money to blow on guitars.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

wow those are awful

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

iostream.h posted:

your move cable plebs

i like how it actually says 'cable tone' on it

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

Dr. Faustus posted:

Just like for me, Steve Vai will forever be the shredding douche who cut heads with Ralph Maccio in Crossroads.

"Who wanna get they head cut?"

Except Vai played the winning solo at the end in post-production and that's pretty cool.
When I bought my JEM77FP the guys at AL&M in Raleigh started calling me "Jack Butler" and they sent me all their Ibanez endorsee posters to my parents' house when they finally took them down.

:smug:

P.S. - I left them in a place where they got rained on and had to throw them out. :doh:

Crossroads and a movie called Trick or Treat really pushed my interest in being a player

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

iostream.h posted:

I was 11 when that movie came out, spend weeks learning that entire bit and (useless personal trivia) used the classical bit as part of my audition into the Alabama School of Fine Arts for classical guitar, along with a couple of more embarrassing 'pieces'.

Made it in, so I guess it was ok.

edit: ^^^^ Trick R Treat haha Gene Simmons! Fuuuu I remember that, such an awful flick

that poo poo was awesome back in the day..hahaha

I could still listen to Fastway I think

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

EoinCannon posted:

I went to a G3 show when they had vai, satriani and I think it was the guy from dream theater. I fell asleep during the final part of the show where all three are on stage guitar circle jerking. I had been drinking most of the day at another function which may have made me sleepy but my point is it was really boring.

why did you go then? It's not like you don't know what goes on at a G3 show

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

It's definitely guitar-like but I don't understand the coloring or the presentation of gay little birds on the fret board. Maybe you play at a church

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

yeah, that ones awful for any decade

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ashgromnies posted:

Isn't it usually just the last 4 or so frets?

What is the point of scalloping though, for real.

The reason for a scalloped fretboard is to give you the feel of ultra-high action. You also can do pretty much anything you want with each note because there isn't any friction from your fingers touching wood. They don't actually feel much different from regular guitars but some idiots pick them up and try to push strings beyond the frets and claim it's "hard to play"

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

I actually like these

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

stratdax posted:

I found this picture in a thread called "Coolest F-Hole?" just for you, ZombieParts

don't tempt me fuckers..i'll wreck your f holes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

I love that video

"This is one of the first ten stratocasters ever made.." *throws guitar back into the pile of other guitars because who loving cares.*

• Locked thread