Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Ferroque posted:

why would you do that to a violin, dan trueman

Sarcasm aside, Hardanger Fiddles are awesome and all look like that because Scandanavians and are only awful in the same way that all folk music is. Here's a man who's not afraid to live up to a stereotype playing one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Di1F8GUvEtg

In other news I just played a strat into one of the new Marshall MG's and it sounded fantastic. I might have to buy a strat. Everything I knew is a lie. Technology has clearly moved on a bit in the last five years because for as long as I've played MGs have been the quintessential 'can full of bees' amp for scrub metal kids who couldn't afford a Peavey.

darkwasthenight fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

iostream.h posted:

I thought Devi was a woman?

That's Devi Ever, pedalmaker and internet drama fiend. They're talking about Devin Townsend from SYL, guitarist and terrible fashion expert.

Edit: also lol at the idea that Devi Ever actually makes music that doesn't involve listening to a fuzz pedal play itself.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
A wise guy once told me that you spend ten years learning how to play real good and then the rest of your life learning how to shut the gently caress up real good but I was fifteen so I went 'hey sure thing grandad' and went off to do some stupid kid bullshit.

I play bossa and other elevator music for money now and jazzdads might be even worse than bluesdads. Red rage coming down on the next fucker in a twat hat talking to me about miles davies b sides and other poo poo I don't care about while I'm breaking down my rig. I just want to get my weakass pay and go home.

Moral of this story is guitar players are terrible and so is guitar music but prolly less than doing anything else for a living. .

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

ZombieParts posted:

it's hard to tell what he was trying to say. he starts off talking about 20 minutes of mustang sally which is excessively long but then goes on to describe how they 'plow through solos' or whatever. plowing through and 20 minutes don't really add up

what bisiticles is really telling us is that he's an old gently caress and doesn't like young whippersnapper bands who don't thrive on bluesy trills or yell "woo!" and take a long break every time the guitarist does a slow bend or a lick. Instead they just, you know, finish the song. blues dads don't like to finish a song. they want an infinite return so they can stand around stroking their necks.

Short version is bad bands don't know when to shut up. It's never been to do with old/young but rather with knowing how to play with a band and knowing when to shut the gently caress up.

Bluesdads are generally pretty bad at this, metalkids are not much better. Can always tell the difference between a pro band and a kiddie band by how often both guitarists are playing at once, even if it's the same thing (it's always).

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Dirt posted:

That Noodles guy from the Offspring(I wonder if he feels weird being called Noodles at age 45 or whatever he is now)

Age 51. Fifty loving one, count 'em.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Irradiation posted:

I think around about 15 years? When he plays with a track he's fine, but he'll write stuff that's say 9/8 with a swing feel, followed by one measure of straight sixteenths in 1/4, so beat wise you still come out at 4 but it's very :psyduck: sounding.

I'm not saying you shouldn't stray from 4/4, but he's not even trying to do that.

People get weird ideas if they don't play with other people. The engineer I session for has a story about this kind of thing. He does a lot of world music festivals and things, this guy comes up to him after a gig and starts going on about how he's invented this new form of music called Diddly Reggae; it's like reggae but in 7/4 and it's going to change the world, it's like nothing you've heard. Being around hippies and folkies a lot you get used to this kind of talk so Keith is humouring him, gives him the studio address and tells him to send a disc through.

Two weeks later there's a knock on the studio door and this guy has turned up uninvited with a load of demo discs and his bass; he's ready to make an album. K's a bit freaked out but he's a chill guy, says he doesn't have any free time for bookings right now but he can come have a look round and they'll put the CD on, so Mr. Diddly Reggae is wandering round the studio and K and his assistant are in the control room listening to this awful casio reggae stuff and just howling. Terrible jerky bass playing over a casio backing track and bad dub delay on everything.

Eventually Mr. Reggae comes back in and asks what they think; Keith says "I've got to be honest, it just sounds like normal 4/4 reggae to me, can you explain how it's in 7/4?", so the CD goes back on and Diddly gets this crazy look in his eye and starts going "One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Se...,Ven".

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

White Dog Eggs posted:

The "vintage wiring" guy was the best, pretty sure I've typed that up once before though.

Did someone say vintage wiring? Here's the Honda Soundworks Spice pedal:

Gives you that real cool vintage tone without having to fiddle around with settings and it's a guaranteed limited edition due to rare components. Let's have a gutshot shall we?

Authentic vintage wire straight out of a 60's mixing desk. Sounding like Hendrix alllll day for the low low price of several hundred dollars. Only one I could find for sale was on a Korean site at $300+ if you would believe it.

Pretty sure HSW had tongues so far in their cheeks they were sticking out their ears but people were claiming to have bought them and briefly led to TGP having an unironic discussion regarding the merits of vintage wire. I've also seen the 'Bakelite pickguards sound better than plastic' argument on there more times than I wish to remember.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Fair Hallion posted:

wait, do you mean doing this with normal EADG tuning though? Are the strings not hella loose?

(brb, off to tune my a-string down to E to try this out)

No, that will sound like poo poo I imagine. Get a five string set, throw away the lightest gauge and tune BEAD.

ElectricHeir posted:

I don't think it's my amp, the string still sounds kinda dead when I'm recording DI into my computer.

Is it still sounding rough through a good quality, loud amp? Low notes on flats/tapes will sound dead through bad amps because you don't get the sparkly high harmonics so if you haven't got a big woofer pushing the fundamental it'll sound dead. If you've tried that and there's nothing mechanically wrong with it like dead frets or low action you could maybe try new strings but flats and tapes should last forever without dying really.

Worst case scenario it could be a dead spot, the low F# on my jazz just dies compared to any other note, but never heard of an entire string being a dead spot.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

AchtungBaby posted:

How are modelling amps nowadays? Kinda interested in trying one now. I thought about trying one when I go back to civilization in a couple months. That blackstar Id or whatever its called looked cool. Maybe I could be an idiot and try that line6 amplifi.

I quite liked the ID60 that I played, the power tube modelling was a fun touch.

It depends on what you're looking to sound like but the tech has come far enough that you can find something cool in any modern modeller amp. If you want an exact replica of the SRV tone you might have to look elsewhere but for practice and small gigs there's a million options.

As a working musician I'd absolutely play an ID60 or a Valvetronix or whatever if I turned up to a show and got it as rental backline. Would be a nice change from the red knob eighties twins I aways seem to get stuck with which are ok but louder than gently caress and pretty bland.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

tacodaemon posted:

BTW the description page is as magical as Zachary's stuff always is. Most of it is actually beating up on the "Corporate Overdrive" or "Corporate Pedal", which appear to be Zachary's nicknames for the TC Electronic MojoMojo Overdrive pedal:

No, really, the Corporate Pedal is bad:

But no fear, the Tone Lube is way better than Corporate Pedal:

And more importantly:

But that's just a little bit of the 7,500+ words of blather on that page.

Goddamn but Zachary is a big bag of dicks.

Knew a guy who owned one of his Z1s or whatever and he said it was a nice player but uglier than poo poo and he makes you send him loads of clips and recordings do decide whether you're worthy of his luthier skills before he agrees to take the job. Biiiig bag of dicks.

He took a lot of poo poo for playing that thing with it's deformed weiner headstock but was admittedly a great player in a mathy kind of way.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Thanks to our keyboard player being a massive pants on head retarded baby who is unable to keep his politics out of a band environment despite being nearly old enough to claim a pension, I will be spending my nights for all the forseeable future scanning and copying out sheet music for a twelve piece band instead of gigging while drunk and disorderly. All so when he has the inevitable meltdown and quits dramatically just before the Christmas season we will still be able to play shows without having to force him to hand over the pads. You fuckers better be entertaining this weekend.

In other retarded news, I bought a new piece of gear in the worst colour. I love it!

Baritone Jazzmaster tuned B to B.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Dirt posted:

Antigua is the best color possible. I love my Antigua strat.

Somehow I've never seen those jazzmasters in Antigua. Now I want one.

They only came out over summer, thinking of dropping it down to VI tuning but at the moment it's more use to me in B standard. Just wish it had a tremolo.

The Antigua looks pretty great in person, if you like that kind of thing. 2/3 bandmembers surveyed so far said it looks like dried vomitburst, the other one loved it.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

White Dog Eggs posted:

Just had a look at the Gibson website and their zero-fret is weirder than I thought....

http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/How-to-Customize-Action-with-Gibson.aspx

Gibson are sloppy as poo poo at cutting nuts/fretwork, this just feels like a really weird way of getting around that without spending the money on training/hiring better staff or fixing their quality control.

Like, there isn't too much wrong with this approach in theory, but it seems like a loving weird way of fixing a problem,

That's actually the best thing I've seen out of them in years. I've just got used to suffering through high action at the top because I like a bit of air under the strings at the shallow end and fiddling around with trussrods and poo poo always seems to end up with a compromise. Gretsch used zero frets for years and they seemed to work quite well.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
White Dog Eggs, where are you based again? Might have some luthiering that needs wrangling and while the guy from my local shop is pretty good he tends towards the 'leave it on the pile for six months until they threaten to come take it back' school of luthiery.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

I think my favourite part of that is "The picture was later put on website, Twitter". Not big on technology down there are they? My mate was riding his motorcycle down there and a mob pulled him off it and tried kicking him to death. Turned out they thought the roundheads were coming back.

Shropshire might be a far for me but do you have a contact email or anything I could get in touch on?

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

ThePutty posted:

sleepflower do you have any knowledge of knockoff/cheap rickenbackers? i wouldn't mind trying a rickenbacker 360 but they're way too expensive for me to actually consider buying one

There aren't many decent quality ones because Rickenbacker go after clones with a vengeance. As far as I know they're the only guitar company that's managed to protect their copyright efficiently.

The Rockinbetters that were floating round a few years back were decent quality. Think they were connected to Tokai or at least trying to give the impression that they were. My friend has one of the basses and it's nice, binding is done well and frets are good. Debatable how much it sounds like a Rick though, I've played originals and they really do have their own thing that you will either love or hate. Hard to describe but I think it's a mix of the glossy fretboard and weird action with the high neck joint. The Rockinbetters play a lot more like a Gibson in feel.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

booshi posted:

The Baritone VM JM from Squier comes in Antiqua.

Honestly looks like a better idea than other VMJMs have the crappy old bridge:

Kinda wish I had gone with this because my JM isn't seeing much use anymore and I may trade/sell it for something else.

e: though you lose the rhythm/lead circuits, which I do use a lot.

I have one of these. It's OK, starting to think I would have got more use out of a Bass VI tuned up to B but we'll see. I do love the extra clarity you get from the low end but I'm so used to JMs these days I don't know how to cope without a trem bar, keep making spazzy motions after I hit chords where I'd usually shimmer (so all of them).

The finish is just too, too sexy in person though. Considering getting it routed for a trem tailpiece but I've spent my stupid music poo poo budget for the month already. Incidentally means I will have pics very very relevant to the thread coming up shortly... No dickholes alas.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

White Dog Eggs posted:

Granted I don't know too much about tube amps, but wouldn't turning the 'pre' knobs up get the valves running at a decent load without having to be turned up all the way? I modded my amp to have an extra pre-amp pot so I could get nice tube crunch without it being too loud.

When people talk about cranking a tube amp they really mean power tubes and speaker distortion. Preamp distortion is supposed to be notoriously fizzy, but only nerds like us worry about this poo poo.

Incidentally those cheap 'attenuators' to go on your fx loop that you can buy on ebay for a couple of quid are useless, they're just a volume pot regulating volume into the poweramp and will make no difference to powertube crunch. You can have your volume on 10 but if you aren't hitting them with enough pre volume they'll still be running cold.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
New stupid poo poo acquisition of the month!

I saw that it was bright red and hammered the Buy It Now button before I even realised what had happened. Note the classy use of Fender Vibrolux as a stool.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Chrpno posted:

Nice work! The buzziest of combo organs, you can pretty much nail the sound of "When the Music's Over" by the Doors with the right setting of the flippy tabs. I own this version, with the extra fuzz strip and key sideways vibrato and sustain.

The 25D has the touch vibrato/wah but it's not working properly on this one, or at least doesn't seem to be. Really wish it had the full manuals like your 45 but got to admit this is barely on the 'portable' side without adding in another third of its own weight.

The only guy I see using the 45 often is whoever plays in The Specials instead of Terry Hall these days. Don't think I've ever seen anyone using the 25.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

White Dog Eggs posted:

Has anyone here ever played a guitar/bass/whatever with a richlite fretboard? A customer who came in for a set-up mentioned that his son-in-law just ordered a Les Paul Supreme for about £3000 and it comes with a Richlite fretboard. I'm guessing it would be quite nice to play on, but richlite is basically paper-mulch mixed with resin, it's rock solid and you could have it in all sorts of crazy finishes, but that seems a bit mental to put on a 3 grand 'luxury' guitar.

That's Gibson for you. I've played one or two and my Martin is 90% composites apart from the top and can't say I've noticed any real issues. Over the summer I did an outdoor gig with high humidity and low temperature that would probably have killed off an all-wood guitar, took it with no problems at all.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

City of Tampa posted:

OK, I'm going to have to buy one. You had me at "surfy".

The switch turning everything up to 100% seems insane though because my little 5w tube amp starts getting uncomfortably loud at about 60%.

Depending on the circuit you probably won't actually get much more volume out of the last 40% anyway, just more crunch as the power tubes distort. Maybe more perceived volume because of the compression.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Khanstant posted:

do you even need the bit of the guitar at the bottom? couldnt you just have the flat board and stringy things tied to those knobs? just carpentry fetishism or does it actually contribute to the sound in a lectrix guitar

Anything with electrics you can make it whatever shape you want. I used to play with a guy who turned aome aluminium shelving brackets into a lap steel with a built-in speaker. He'd turn the amp up full and the whole thing would instantly start feeding back and vibrating like crazy.

He also made an electric upright bass from a wardrobe door and various lamp fittings, amongst other things. Lovely guy and brilliant musician but total lunatic; had a PA wired into his living room ceiling and then his sofa cushions lifted up to reveal dozens of pedals in an old moog style patch bay. Lived on cold tea and frozen white bread covered in peanut butter and banana chunks, he claimed the taste and texture was identical to expensive french pastries. "OK Peter" I said, "But why were you eating frozen bread in the first place to find this out?" Shine on, you crazy crazy man.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

kjetting posted:

So, a 7 string bass, made with two harmonic extra octaves per string like on the slightly less monstrous 12 string bass... That´s 21 strings, 17 more than a bass generally should have.

And 19 more than 99% of bass players need or deserve.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
I have an electric accordion that is actually a hohner combo organ mounted in an accordion case. It weighs exactly what you think an organ strapped to your chest would weigh. The power cable is only three feet long too, but that's OK because its not like you can walk anywhere with it.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Stux posted:

cameron dean from million dead cos he got the riff on lock

What the gently caress happened to that guy?

Julia is playing with FOTL (and doing a good job too), Ben is a session drummer for everyone and their dog and Frank is doing what Frank do. Cameron just seemed to dissappear off the radar after they split, he was great too. I remember learning Stevie Wonder as a teenager and thinking how different it all was to your standard hardcore style guitar.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Oasis are wretched and the UK apologises sincerely. In our defence they're Mancs so barely count. The only worthwhile thing the Gallagher brothers have done in the last ten years was punch each other, and although I was never an Auteurs fan Luke Haines clowning on Noel in his latest interview made me very happy indeed.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Lifehack: Never play organ for a band.

Not only are my boards all heavy as poo poo but club monitors universally suck so I have to carry an amp rig to be able to hear myself onstage and it's all so loving expensive. I'm used to paying for guitar poo poo but a couple of hundred will get you a usable rig. With keys I'm looking at a hundred for a loving metal stand that if I'm lucky won't collapse straight away, and either a few hundred minimum on a busted up clonewheel or ten grand on a vintage Hammond/Nord. Then if a single osc chip happens to blow in my busted rear end organ I'm probably hosed, I'll either have to buy a second board for salvaging or just scrap the thing and buy a new one. I love the instrument but loving hell.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Hollis Brownsound posted:

Thanks, that's not as helpful as using a water bottle to separate egg yolks, but thanks.

Np mate, good luck with it.

SaNChEzZ posted:

Bought babbys first pedal today, an SD-1. Also saw the new JEM reissue, looks mighty fine.

I have an SD-1 that looks like it came off the ark with Noah, they can take a lot of punishment. Prefer the BD-2 these days but nothing wrong with either of them as a boost, with the added bonus of being able to buy a replacement in any store in the country if you somehow manage to kill it. Which you won't without using water or heavy firepower.

darkwasthenight fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 15, 2015

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Allen Wren posted:

what was that stupid stompbox that was literally empty except for a small length of cloth wire connecting the in and the out for VINTAGE TONE?

Spice Box. I posted a pic somewhere earlier in the thread.

Edit:

darkwasthenight posted:

Did someone say vintage wiring? Here's the Honda Soundworks Spice pedal:

Gives you that real cool vintage tone without having to fiddle around with settings and it's a guaranteed limited edition due to rare components. Let's have a gutshot shall we?

Authentic vintage wire straight out of a 60's mixing desk. Sounding like Hendrix alllll day for the low low price of several hundred dollars. Only one I could find for sale was on a Korean site at $300+ if you would believe it.

Pretty sure HSW had tongues so far in their cheeks they were sticking out their ears but people were claiming to have bought them and briefly led to TGP having an unironic discussion regarding the merits of vintage wire. I've also seen the 'Bakelite pickguards sound better than plastic' argument on there more times than I wish to remember.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
My local open mic scene seems to have turned into some hosed-up echo chamber (more than local open mics usually are).

First noticed it a few months ago where there was a trend starting for doing acoustic blues and old americana folk numbers. I went away for a few weeks and when I came back there were dozens of white British middle-class bluesmen in their early twenties, all singing old delta blues poo poo in horrible fake accents. It's loving awful. Blueskids.

They're nice guys mostly but it's turning into a loving minstrel show. I turned up in my old country and western shirt last week just to see how far we are going to take this. Got two people asking where I bought it. There is no bottom. Some dickshuffle used the phrase 'the Yorkshire Delta' with a straight face and I had to walk away.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Fair Hallion posted:

*browses ebay for left handed guitars*
what the poo poo

"Gibson Epiphone Strat Sunburst"

it's hardly the first time anyone has switched necks like this, but I just love the way there's no mention of anything like "this started off as a Korean Squier "etc etc.
He just states it's a Gibson Epiphone Strat Sunburst. Like it's an actual thing.

Hendrix strat best strat. Never forget.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Fair Hallion posted:

I can never not interrupt Slade chat with this story - it sounds like a bullshit urban myth at first, but it's a story that Noddy Holder tells freely, I saw him tell it on the Frank Skinner show, and it might actually even be in Noddy's autobiography -

Before Slade were big, possibly even before they were called Slade, like many young UK bands way back then (eg the Beatles) they were scraping out a living in Germany.
Apparently their pervy German landlord said "I'll let you off with the rent if you poo poo on a glass coffee table while I'm underneath"
Noddy said to himself, "well, I do not have the money to pay the rent... and I do actually need a poo"...

As far as dodgy British band stories go I particularly like the one about Quo taking a projector with a bunch of porn films with them on tour. They would set it up in a hotel room, sit on the bed cracking one out and try to ignore the other five or six musicians and roadies doing the same.

Francis Rossi was totally unembarassed about telling the story. He claimed they were once joined by a groupie who tried to get them into a group thing, but got annoyed when they were more interested in watching the porn. "Do you mind love? I'm trying to have a wank."

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

How do so many musicians not realise this? Play something people like and you'll get pussy. Only nerds care about technical, masturbatory, unmelodic bullshit.

I think it's more to do with being an attractive and interesting person who happens to be playing stuff people like tbf because it's sure as gently caress not the guitar playing.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Slightly OT but gently caress it. A local promoter in my town has just put on a fantastic demonstration of loving your career in the rear end within 24 hours.

He was running a stage as part of a festival called Tramlines, which is basically a bunch of independent venues putting on a lineup over a weekend. It's usually really busy, you pay about £10 for a wristband that gets you into any of the main venues and all the fringe stuff is free anyway. Wu Tang and Martha Reeves are headlining this year and there's a ton of other good poo poo too.

Anyway, he took offence at having to pay a fee to use the branding and be included in official promo so threw a hissy fit. He declared that in order to stick it to the man not only would he no longer be a Tramlines venue but he would actively turn away punters wearing official wristbands, instantly writing off a good 75% of his potential audience. Some of the bands and techs involved had other gigs with Tramlines so immediately pulled out of the show in order to keep them, and I suspect his star turn are next.

Once he saw all the poo poo he was getting on Facebook he went into total meltdown and then doubled down, threatening anyone who criticised him via PM. To cap off the smoking crater that was his reputation he finally marched into the record store owned by two respected local DJs and threatened dire consequences if they didn't step off.

It's been a beautiful day in this neighbourhood let me tell you.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Man, what are the chances of both of the people from Shropshire who know what a computer is turning up in the same thread?

In other news I now have a Keytar. Half the buttons are missing and it rattles a lot because of all the broken parts left inside, but it all works after a bit of tinkering. I might paint it in psychedelic nail varnish colours, I think a Fool keytar is just on the right (by which I mean wrong) side of tacky. Definitely will be candidate for this thread afterwards, as if being a Keytar wasn't enough.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

owns

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

White Dog Eggs posted:

It looks like a poo poo star trek weapon and I'm ok with that.

Someone offered to sell me a Hagstrom for a hideous amount of money recently, looked like this but red

He wasn't sure what all the buttons did.

Those Tremar arms go for quite a lot by themselves. I know because I've been after one for years and they get snapped up way above my price point. They're like a more ornate, creakier offset trem.

Incidentally that's really cool and, blender buttons aside, does not belong in this thread.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

White Dog Eggs posted:

I think I've been inhaling too much varnish today... What I actually meant was a... honestly I can't even remember the name now, it's like a power dial at the pre-stage (before the volume) that stops the amp sounding muddy without having to have it turned up stupidly high.

I think you're thinking of a power soak or attenuator, but technically that needs to come after the power amp and before the load. If it's before the power amp it's acting like a master volume.

I used to have a Marshall JMP combo and I tried so hard to like it. It was stiff and clean and too heavy and too loud and entirely unsuitable for everything I used it for. I traded it on and as soon as the next guy plugged in he sounded like God and I wished I'd kept it, but sometimes an amp just doesn't work for you. I played through Fenders for a few years after that and they just suited me so much better it was unreal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

GreatGreen posted:

Hey goons, look what I found.

I give you a 16+ minute uninterrupted tsunami of molten hot blues jam as played by every bluesdad in the world's favorite stables of guitar players. It is filled to the absolute brim with repetitive, totally masturbatory and boring as gently caress blues licks you've heard billions and billions of times before, but this played by people who have released tons of instrumental albums that at least a few hundred people bought!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaDeIn8wP8c

(you're welcome)

Never thought I'd say the words, but Vai was the only one who even approached anything interesting there. Even though it was a blues shuffle he was just 'gently caress taste and appropriate playing, this is just what I sound like :dealwithit:' and went away with the whammy squeals. He's a human on/off switch hotwired to 100% tasteless. Sad he didn't use the Fautusgrip more really.

• Locked thread