Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

culdesac posted:

lol jk i didnt actually click your links cuz i know it all sucks rear end
Liar.

Dewgy posted:

i wasn't pointing it out for your benefit you boring narcissistic wierdo
Like you could have made it any more obvious, you predictable wannabe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

GreenAcidRage posted:

i clicked all your links and you play okay and poo poo can you go away now you weird fucker
Let's play a game:

People don't make threads to bait me or bring me up in threads where they don't want me, and I won't suddenly mysteriously show up!

Starting:

NOW!

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Photex posted:

He's got all those links on standby just like I did when I was 13 playing in a cover band and posting on ULTIMATE-GUITAR.

All I can say is I hope you become the next Jason Becker.

Wow dude that's pretty mean.

culdesac posted:

um

i seriously didnt click a single one, dont know what to tell you dude

You lie, we both know it.

Steppin_Razor posted:

lmao dude the game you should be playing is the one where you ignore the people trying to bait you instead of getting involved in an internet slap fight

Nah it's totally cool with me. You want me, you get me.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I can keep it up a bit longer tonight, but then I'll have to sleep and make up for it with many posts when I get up.

Have it your way.

Have you looked at the time? I work 2nd shift but even for me this is late.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

joats posted:

Please don't.
We are together in this.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

joats posted:

Hey not everyone can have a pizza guitar (I have an Ibanez and love it)
Don't do it. I'll take the heat for you. Just let me.

Dewgy posted:

how old were you when thrill kill was cancelled anyway

because i thought dr faustus was the coolest poo poo ever too but i was like 12

I don't know what the gently caress you are talking about. I came across Faustus in English Lit in college, in the Marlowe play. From there I went to the old Faustbuch. What gay poo poo are you babbling about?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I'm so riled right now I could

Dewgy posted:

yo chill, video games

thought the dude from the play was just faust, not faustus

congratulations

Silly Dewgy, you know gibbis hates video games. And everything else.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
more

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Frankenstyle posted:

See? What did I say before? If you'd just work half as hard on your people skills as you have on your musical skills, you'd have sex and drugs on tap and free money for life. Just take a deep breath and let life wash over you.
"I drink to make other people more interesting."

This stops working after 40. FYI.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Photex posted:

Why the gently caress do you have a hard on for Ibanez RGs? Please tell me they are all not stock too besides the lovely looks.
Dude, if you were a guitar fiend in the late 80's when the Ibanez line came out, all you wanted was Ibanezes. They had Vai, Satriani, Vinnie Moore, Frank Gambale, Paul Gilbert, that dude from that band I don't give a poo poo about, and the other hottest players of the day (except Van Halen and Malmsteen and Greg Howe).

Also, all the RG-style guitars, which were all based off my beloved JEMs, had features you couldn't get stock on a Gibson or Fender. Some Jackson/Charvels were up there, but Kramer was falling apart and the Ibanez star was rising, rising.

Look at the prices of the reissues of my RG770DX, for example. They just could not be beaten and there's nothing boring or lovely about the original Made In Japan models, except the pickups, which I have changed out with much more interesting pickups which are wired to push-pull pots for series/parallel wiring modes, which give me many times more tones to use.

While you're at it, go looking for a 1988 JEM77FP.

Stargate posted:

Wow old timer, you should have better people skills by now.
How old are you? Let's see YOUR people skills after 40. BTW, this is just GBS.

Dewgy posted:

it'd take way more than a 40 to make you interesting bro

SAID THE GUY WHO WANTED THIS THREAD JUST FOR ME.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Dec 28, 2013

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Photex posted:

Thanks for that wiki quality post on the The Rise of Ibanez.
I was there to witness it. If you think Fender and Gibson and Jackson/Charvel and Kramer weren't loving terrified, you don't know anything.

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/How_Steve_Vais_Ibanez_JEM_Revolutionized_the_Super_Strat

quote:

There's a brilliant photo in the book, Ibanez: The Untold Story, of Kramer Guitars’ Dennis Berardi and colleagues at the Chicago NAMM show in 1987. Berardi appears spellbound as he looks intensely at something just outside of the frame. Meanwhile, one of his colleagues wears an expression of utter pain and bewilderment. The reason for these expressions was that Ibanez and Steve Vai had just unveiled the JEM, Vai's signature instrument, and in that exact moment the entire guitar landscape was reshaped. Ibanez was suddenly sitting atop a pyramid not unlike the one Vai himself was perched on in the “Angel Landing” advertisement subsequently used to promote the JEM.

There were probably many reasons the Kramer execs were so befuddled by the JEM. Certainly, securing Vai as an endorser was a huge coup. But the JEM was more than just a signature guitar for one of the most popular axemen in the world: It also incorporated many unique custom features, ones that weren’t common on large-scale production guitars up to that point, and certainly not in the “perfect storm” of high performance specs the JEM provided.

For starters, the JEM had three DiMarzio pickups (a pair of PAF Pro humbuckers and a JEM single-coil) wired in a then-unique arrangement where by the 2nd and 4th positions split the humbuckers into single-coils in combination with the middle pickup. This arrangement, pioneered by DiMarzio's Steve Blucher, allowed Vai to achieve Stratocaster-style in-between sounds as well as the humbucker raunch of the PAF Pro. There was also a high-pass filter on the volume control to help the guitar retain high end when the volume pot was rolled back.

It also featured a “bear claw” rout behind the Ibanez Edge locking vibrato bridge, inspired by the chiseled trench Vai had gouged into his Charvel “Green Meanie” guitar. This allowed him to achieve a much further range of upward motion than simply floating the tremolo at an angle off the body, and it made it easy to perform wild “flutter” effects.

A guitar with 24 frets was not unheard of before 1987, but this was still relatively uncommon. The last four frets were scalloped, allowing Vai and like-minded shredders to really lay into those high notes, and upper-fret access was enhanced by a crescent-shaped scoop around the neck joint area. The JEM also rocked some rather flashy cosmetic touches: three-color, disappearing-pyramid fretboard inlays (keen eyes would note that the green/pink/yellow pyramids echoed the three JEM colors available at launch); brightly colored pickups, knobs, pickup selector switch and tremolo rout; and of course, the “monkey grip” handle, which allowed Vai to pull off extra-flashy stage moves.

The JEM had a less showy but equally shred-worthy and innovative cousin, the Ibanez RG550. The 550 featured much of the same innovation as the JEM (HSH pickup layout with the same custom switching, 24 frets, crescent-carved neck joint; back-routed Edge cavity) but without some of the higher-cost additions such as the scalloping, the DiMarzio pickups, the six individual bear claw scoops, and the monkey grip.

While some JEMs have been modded over the years, the majority of owners tend to keep them in their original state. It's rare even to find a JEM with a pickup swap, so there isn't really a particular set of common JEM mods to speak about. However the RG550 and its stablemates make great starting points for fans to build their own custom JEM-style guitars. They're relatively inexpensive on the used market, and their modern-day equivalents (such as the RG2550) exhibit exceptional build quality. Anyone with a pin router, a steady hand and a lot of patience can add a monkey grip to their RG550. You can reshape the Edge rout into a bear claw with carving chisels and maybe a bit of wood filler to rectify the odd mistake. DiMarzio makes various Vai signature pickups (the Evolution, the Breed, the Evo 2, and the new Gravity Storm), which would likely get you closer to Vai's tonal mojo.

It's common for RG-to-Jem conversions to feature a variation on the multicolor swirl paint technique pioneered by Darren Johansen of About Time Designs and seen on various JEMs, as well as the 7-string counterpart, the Universe. Two of the most revered swirlers, Herc Fede and Out Of This Swirled, recently announced their respective retirement from the swirling biz, but there are many talented painters out there (Perle Guitars comes to mind) who offer swirls in every color. Rich Harris' Ibanez Rules is a prime location to purchase JEM-friendly parts, from vibrato arm socket holders to new-old-stock (NOS) pickguards and colored DiMarzios.

One particularly interesting JEM-style custom is owned by James McDonald from Western Australia. McDonald's JEM (pictured at right) started as his sketched entry for the “Design A Jem” competition put on by Ibanez and Vai in 2010. When McDonald's intricate black-and-white design didn't win, he decided to have it made with the help of ET Guitars, and then he painted it himself.

Another rare example of an actual modified JEM belongs to Dean Dynna of Canada. His 1991 JEM7PBK has been repainted with a green marbling effect on a black background, providing a slight thematic link to the swirled JEMs but maintaining the original black vibe of that stock model.

But as much fun as it is to upgrade an RG to near-JEM specs, there's still something magical about a true Ibanez JEM. There have been a few changes over the years, such as different body and fretboard woods, different pickups, a few rear-routed models with clear pickguards to showcase fabric finishes, a new neck joint and different fretboard inlays, etc. But a brand new JEM today bares much in common with its 1987 counterpart, and in many ways the JEM is still that same guitar that gave Kramer such a shock in Chicago 25 years ago.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Xen Tricks posted:

I own this it looks cooler than any of your guitars gently caress you faustus

Look at this versus your stupid samey ugly colored poo poo do you see any "seafoam green" on this?

Where are the strings?

Dewgy posted:

you as a poster are entertaining, as a human being you are boring dreck

i'd say i don't know now that isn't obvious, but then again, :spergin:

i wanted faustus wigging out over a billion things with boring walls of text and terrible comebacks and i got what i came for

also some other high quality ugly guitars

e: that i would probably buy because i have awful taste

You only know me as a poster, so you ought not to make judgements.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Third World Reggin posted:

I made this for you faus

My dog will be thrilled. No, she won't, because she doesn't understand anything but pets and scratching and treats and typical dog stuff. But thanks!

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
You have no way of knowing that. Let's hang out, then you decide.

Xen Tricks posted:

I know it's hard to wrap your head around anything that isn't shaped like a million other guitars owned by 15 year olds but you should try for once

OUCH! THE BURN! IT BURNS!

Not many 15 year olds running around with 1988 JEMs, or 1992 Ibanez USA Customs, or 1991 RG770DXs, so you're kinda full of poo poo, sorry.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Dec 28, 2013

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Third World Reggin posted:

He is being a mean jerk not using the sig I made him.

I have sigs turned off since Halloween. Go figure.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Xen Tricks posted:

Yeah but there sure are a lot of 15 year olds with the same dickwaving looky at my totally old and rare and cool bro guitar attitude

Sorry :buddy:

e: also lol @ thousands of dollars spent on minor variations in tones

You are stupid.

All of my instruments have different electronics with very different tones, and I augment them with home-modded switches to make drastic changes in gain structure, treble response, and attack and sustain.

You are stupid about guitars. Dummy.

Senorita Stinkers posted:

Have you ever seen The Life of Brian?
Always look at the bright side of life.

A little advice you negative Nancies should take from time to time.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Xen Tricks posted:

You spent thousands of dollars on different bodies for pickups and lol I can do that too it's called a computer or effects pedals

I bet those 4 guitars I saw that look like a paint swap totally have like $5000 worth of "tone difference" between them
A) You don't know what I spent on what
B) They are for discerning musicians who can make such judgements
C) You know nothing except your preconceptions, which are worthless as your opinions

Photex posted:

I don't believe you. We want to see frequency graphs plox.

They would tell you nothing. Instead, just listen to the first two tindeck tracks I posted. They are the same instrument, yet they sound nothing alike. Welcome to the matrix.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

I get it! You're E!

Xen Tricks posted:

Ha ha ha "discerning musicians" are more often than not idiots that think magical juju totally unrelated to sound generation makes a deep and intimate difference in their music. Also lol I can replace your gear with free software.

So do it! Show me! Knock my socks off, genius.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Photex posted:

It's funny because if you ever watch rig rundowns with a lot of the 80s and 90s guys now they all switched to Fractal AxeFXs because they can just feed their old master recordings in and get exact models and patches made in minutes. It also costs a gently caress ton less when touring when you don't need to haul a ton of poo poo.

Until the DSP dies and you have no sound coming out of your rig and the whole band has to stop playing while you swap out Fractals. O wait, you only had one? Well, you're hosed!

Hahaha a classical guitar with a fedora on it lolz can I haz drone stringz?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Xen Tricks posted:

Almost any old keyboardist says that modern smaller digital synths are a godsend compared to hauling around hundreds of pounds of fragile poo poo when they can just get the same sound for cheaper and easier. Technology kicks the poo poo out of nostalgia most times

Except when heavy as poo poo analog gear can survive falling off a truck at 75 MPH and survive a burning building but a DSP can't survive a voltage blip.

Bleep blorp all instruments are the same I am a computer bloop bleep I sound like Jimmy Page until someone hits CTRL

Xen Tricks posted:

also you didn't deny that musicians (and everyone else ever) are superstitious morons
No one told me that was a thing.

I am not a superstitious moron. I cannot speak for anyone else.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Photex posted:

I was going to dick wave how I work in live production but it wouldn't matter because you still wouldn't understand
No man, I wanna grok your real life cred, tell me about your live production. What instrumentation is involved in your show and how much redundancy do you keep around? What gear do you use?
Wave your dick, I am an old hand at live production and dick waving, too.

Don't leave me :flaccid:.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Xen Tricks posted:

Ah ha ha ha ha ha h ha loving ha ha ha try dropping a yamaha cs-80 or a moog modular or an old siel/whatever the hell else whose oscillators go out of tune if you so much as bang it

You're an idiot who doesn't know anything about gear besides your little six stringers

Try even moving a mellotron, go on, try it, show me "genius"
Wait, why are you trying to equate your MOOG poo poo or other synth poo poo to my world of guitar amplifier emulators in a box? Who's the loving idiot, again? Care to explain to me what your ancient singularity machines have to do with modern amp modeling or FractalFXs or PODHDs or Amplitube software on a laptop?

Because they are not the same beasts at all, you loving dipshit.

Photex posted:

sorry it's a 4 hour minimum freelancers fee for me to give you a show rundown.

Oh, ok, then feel free to go gently caress yourself.
Oh wait, I found your 4 hour freelancer's fee in my couch cushions. I'll paypal it to you and you can reveal your big secrets.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Dec 28, 2013

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Xen Tricks posted:

Lol "ancient singularity machine" *plays an instrument with the same design as 70 years ago" also it's Moog, it was a name, it's not all caps

And the point is the same, old stuff sounds good but is extremely expensive and fragile where as all the poo poo you do with custom modeling and tone difference and all that lah dee dah can be contained in modern digital systems that give an all but indiscernible sound for 1/10th the price and much more reliability

also lololol http://www.musiciansfriend.com/power-conditioners-surge-protectors I wonder what these are for your little "voltage blips"

also also also you "world of guitar amplifier emulators" wouldn't exist without my "ancient singularity machines" I don't think DSP technology just sprouted out of your rear end in a top hat

That's not the point at all. The point is there are still few live guitarists who want the link from their hands to the ears of their audience to be a DSP. Sorry, that's just how it is. They are evolving and improving, but they are far from robust proven tech like, say, a 1970's Marshall Plexi head and cabinet still is today.
Stick that in your rear end in a top hat, ok?

Dewgy posted:

oh wow that is kind of awesome and awful at the same time

seriously what do you do for a living

who else gets paid to put up with you on a daily basis

because the paycheck bragging really does make you look like a humongous baby

I work a normal blue-collar job for 40 hours a week and take good care of myself and my dog. I am not bragging about my paycheck, I am saying that yon's freelance fee is worth gently caress-all to me and the industry in general. There's a huge difference.

I worked hard as loving hell for my gear and I sacrificed a lot, and I cherish it. That's why it's such a slap in the face when douchebags like you who know nothing of where we came from, or what the gear is, make callout threads to dick with ME about my beloved instruments. No matter how you slice it, it's a shithead rear end in a top hat move. I just play along and try to provide perspective.
I'm excellent at the work I do, and I've been doing it a long time, and I try to improve every day. If you knew what I made in a year you'd be shocked at how I make it all work.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Dec 28, 2013

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Xen Tricks posted:

you're a dinosaur
I'm proud to be a dinosaur, if that's what it means to use tried-and-true tech. The "Dolly Parton is successful" argument means dick to me. I'm a working man and I use what I have, I don't get to go on tour and have roadies and poo poo. I have to make music by the means I can afford.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Wall Balls posted:

its always a bit shocking when someone with an ancient regdate shows up posting like a complete fucker
It's not the least bit shocking when someone makes a regdate argument of any kind.

Senorita Stinkers posted:

if that was even remotely close to the truth you would only have like 2 guitars, a few old effects pedals and a amp you got from a pawn shop

And what, exactly, would you know about it? You don't make sacrifices in your life for things you are passionate about? Sorry I try to balance my obligations with my passions, I guess you know better.

Cannot Find Server posted:

because it's not massively douchebag pretentious poo poo that's technically involved but ultimately soulless and boring poo poo like what steve vai writes.

You should know better. Sit down and listen to "Call It Sleep" or "Tender Surrender" and tell me Steve Vai has no soul.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Dec 28, 2013

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Xen Tricks posted:

You went the most expensive route you possibly could have for making music with guitars
This isn't even remotely true. You are looking at 27 years of investments and good deals, not splurging.

quote:

like goddamn instead of buying 10 loving guitars to get a tone you like why not just get a computer, guitar rig, and some pedals and save yourself a shitton of money. And lol @ fuckin "tired and true tech", you got the tired part right, that's for sure, but i'm sure all those Foghat fans love your sound
O you got me I made a typo, that renders my premise meaningless I am sure.

quote:

e: You even bragged about making your own custom switches and modifying your expensive guitars, where the hell do you think you get off being like "I'M A BLUE COLLAR WORKER WORKING HARD FOR MY MONEY AND I VALUE WHAT LITTLE I COULD SPEND".
Ignorant gently caress. I am talking about $9.oo push/pull potentiometers and some 4-conductor cable. Idiot. I'm smart enough to make a lot out of a little, but I do try to start with quality instruments. That is where I work and skrimp and save. Sorry if you can't understand being passionate about craftsmanship or a well-made authentic instrument with quality woods and appointments, but you can also eat me.

quote:

Yeah I'm not saying popularity=good and idk really know poo poo about the Deftones besides they've sold a lot and i've always heard people liking them, but it was one of the first rigs I clicked on and it's fuckin hilarious cause bam there's guitar rig front and center shaping the entire sound that faustus would hate so much
Yeah, you said it yourself: You definitely don't know poo poo.

Dewgy posted:

what does this even mean, just flipping words around on people doesn't make a valid comeback

What exactly is a good comeback for a regdate flame??

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Dec 28, 2013

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Dewgy posted:

maybe if i swear and tell people to eat my nuts they will accept my musical superiority

also better spend some more money

No I just line up at the free gear gettin' place, don't you?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

jesus christ faustus why do you feel so strongly the need to justify your every goddamn action and purchase you make

you're either the most insecure poster i've ever seen or the most narcissistic. or both.

That's rich coming from you, Cubivore.

Dewgy posted:

you're adorable, you can seriously change gears from "gently caress you i found your two week setup fee in my couch bitch" to "i need to afford what i can its so hard" without batting an eye

its impressive
You just misunderstood the meaning of my remark. I was saying their "4 hour freelancer's fee" is what anyone could literally find in their couch cushions, not that my couch cushions are full of Benjamins. See??

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Dec 28, 2013

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Xen Tricks posted:

I like how you haven't said one single thing in response to the fact that most of those 27 years were wasted on poo poo you didn't need for what you wanted. Like why would you do some circuit wizardry and waste your time for all your guitars when like a $50 pedal could prob do the exact same thing if not better without the work involved.
Because there is no pedal in existence that can "do the exact same thing if not better without the work involved." I shouldn't have to explain this, it's like speaking latin to a loving chimp.

quote:

You've done nothing but skirt around everything I and everyone else has said about the monetary cost and your horribly outdated view on musical equipment.
There is nothing outdated about my view on GUITAR equipment. I have tube amps, solid state amps, a PODHD, and software. I prefer the real tubes when I can use them, but living in an apartment limits the volumes I can use. So, tubes are an extravagance that sound WAY better when they can be used. My instruments are all unique and serve a million purposes, and I make no excuse for wanting as many as possible to choose from. Not one has the same electronics as another.

quote:

That, and you can't even stick on one point, at first you said that this is all saving and spending on what you need for your music and you can't afford all the ritzy poo poo and flash of bands and you're making your meager dollar go as far as it can for your needs then you're saying poo poo like "Sorry if you can't understand being passionate about craftsmanship or a well-made authentic instrument with quality woods and appointments, but you can also eat me." which means nothing but "I like buying really nice instruments because they're really nice" which is a totally different point. Which is it, Faustus, which is it?
It's both. You wait for deals and you sell old stuff to take on new. You eat hot dogs for awhile so you can pay off that new JEM. You eat out less and you use less electricity and gasoline so you can afford that pickup. You wear out your undershirts and socks so you can afford a new strap for that new guitar. You know that eventually you'll catch up because that's how you do it.

quote:

It's cute cause it's like he's trying to boast and then be humble but all it's doing is making him look like an insecure retard. You know, i'd love a Prophet 12, or a Moog voyager, but I realize that spending $4000 on one is a poor investment for what they can do, it's boutique, it's luxurious, but one thing it sure as hell isn't is frugal or blue collar. If you need all that stuff to make music then maybe you should drop the hobby.
Again, you are looking at 27 years of collecting, selling, buying, selling, and trading to get where I am. I don't own anything that costs even 1/3 of $4,000 except for my car. Jesus, what are you smoking?

the difference is that i actually gained some semblance of self awareness

I've yet to see it.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Dec 28, 2013

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Photex posted:

Wait you're 40 and still living in an apartment? I'm beginning to doubt your ability to afford my 4 hour minimum.
Now who's bragging?
Yeah, I am one of just a few blue-collar men in their 40's who don't own a home after the 2009 Great Recession.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Xen Tricks posted:

Ok really now, how about you explain how your magical $9 pots and a cord do what no pedal can. I'm interested, please do tell.

And no, your guitars are all built on the same basic electronics, there's different styles of pickups and all that but pickups are pickups and well there's no other electronics in a guitar so nvm. I don't think you can say that your 10 or 12 or whatever guitars are so special and unique listening to clean signal that they're worth apparently what you do to get them. And holy god if you need to skimp on buying clothes because you want to afford a new guitar strap maybe you should either choose a cheaper strap or go for a hobby that doesn't leave you destitute.

Also your view on musical equipment is outdated, I don't think a view on guitars can be besides idk "gently caress floating bridges" or "gently caress electrics" or something like that

Do your own research. You can't afford my minimum electronics course fee.

i guess it's hard to if you don't have any yourself v:shobon:v
This is not a conversation I will have with you and an audience. You should know better, but of course...

Dewgy posted:

considering you think i made this thread to stalk you your perceptiveness doesn't have a great track record
Sorry I just took you at your word. O, that and the fact that my pictures of my guitars are prominent on pages one and two of this brilliant thread, I'm sure it's just a coincidence, though.

Photex posted:

Not bragging just good to see I'm ahead if the curve by 13 years.

No, you're bragging. Hope the whole austerity thing, or whatever financial catastrophe is cooking up next doesn't set you back by 13+ years! The entertainment industry can be rough, as can home ownership.

Try to save up the next round of attacks in one big lump so I can get to them all at once when I get up.

Spanish Manlove posted:

the burden of the 'tism
O gently caress off armchair psychologist.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Spanish Manlove posted:

you don't have to respond to every post and in detail dude. get a fuckin sense of humor dude
Why not? You all are.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Xen Tricks posted:

Tee hee, "I know i'm full of poo poo so i'm just gonna tell you to go look it up yourself and hopefully you forget". Nothing you can do with the electronics of a guitar cannot be done with pedals or other effects. You can't circuit bend a guitar, you're not a wizard, stop trying to act like your basic electronics knowledge and motivation to waste your time is better than "any pedal in existence". And your guitars are prominent because you have some goddamn ugly guitars bro, like really, that seafoam poo poo is what i'd walk into guitar center with my friend and laugh at. It's ugly, and you know it probably doesn't sound too amazing either.
You are talking completely out of your rear end.

If you don't understand the basics of resistance, impedance, and capacitance in relation to pickup response and tone control then you really are ignorant.

if you didn't make long winded posts like this responding to each and every goddamn thing anyone says about you, they'd stop making fun on you. jesus christ how do you not get this. nobody would have posted your ugly green guitar or your guitar collection if you didn't already have a track record of sperging out on people who slight you.
This reminds me of someone. I wonder whom?

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Dec 28, 2013

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Alright, fine, as of this moment, it all slides.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Xen Tricks posted:

I understand fully how they work, I know how circuits make sound, but I don't understand how you can't replicate/improve that with effects. It's like saying "Yeah I modified the oscillator and amp circuit to make sounds you can't possibly replicate" when you could just throw something in front of it in the circuit line and do the same. If you'd like to explain how your electrical magic works i'm sure we'd all be interested.

Also I went back to look at your guitar collection picture and jesus lol I didn't realize how it looked. You have like 6 guitars that look the same, a handled abortion, two first-act looking acoustics, and I guess one alright looking one. Great line up for 27 years.

Steve Vai is kind of really spergy so actually yes, maybe

No it's cool, I'll help you out then I'm done:

You cannot put a pedal in front of a guitar that, say, adds or quarters the resistance (gain/distortion) of a dual-coil pickup. You can try, but it won't act the same on every pickup, as all the coils have discrete resistances. With me so far?
So you can wire a series/parallel switch in somewhere that does that for you. This give you full series gain, like a Gibson Les Paul, and 1/4 gain, like a Fender Stratocaster, all in one guitar, in one pickup. But when you fiddle with that, you can lose treble when you roll off the volume pot, so you need a capacitor to act as a high-pass filter to roll the lows off to ground. This keeps the pickup bright, not muddy, as you roll off the volume and thereby back off the gain/distortion, giving you a bright clean tone without channel-switching your amplifier.
But each pickup is different, so you need a capacitor that rolls off the lows at just the right frequencies to work with your particular amplifiers. Each pickup/amp combination requires different capacitors and resistors. It's a painstaking process but it's cheap. Every one of my dual-coil pickups, with a few exceptions, have this mod performed for my gear, by me.

There does not exist a pedal that can replicate this fundamental interplay between the amp and the guitar. No volume pedal, no gain pedal, nothing.

My acoustics that you just mocked? One is a run-of-the-mill Breedlove acoustic which sounds amazing. The other is a 1938 Martin Orchestra Model that my Dad's Dad bought from Mel Bay in St. Louis MO back in 1938. It's an honest-to-God Depression Era Martin. The one they eventually called the 0000, or dreadnaught. I wonder if you can appreciate what that means.

All of the other instruments have different body woods, pickups, neck woods, finishes, and a couple have hard-tail bridges (my preference). With the mods described above, they each have their own voices. They have their own attack, sustain, decay, and timbre. They each react to my amps in their own, distinctive ways. They look similar, but to a trained ear they are vastly different, and in trained hands they speak differently.

It's not voodoo or audiophile nonsense, it's distinct and it's real and anyone who tried could discern the differences.

And to me, they are all beautiful.

That's my last post. Thank you and goodnight.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Dec 28, 2013

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I didn't want this to get lost because I effort-posted really hard, guys, so here it is one last time and I'm done.

Xen Tricks posted:

I understand fully how they work, I know how circuits make sound, but I don't understand how you can't replicate/improve that with effects. It's like saying "Yeah I modified the oscillator and amp circuit to make sounds you can't possibly replicate" when you could just throw something in front of it in the circuit line and do the same. If you'd like to explain how your electrical magic works i'm sure we'd all be interested.

Also I went back to look at your guitar collection picture and jesus lol I didn't realize how it looked. You have like 6 guitars that look the same, a handled abortion, two first-act looking acoustics, and I guess one alright looking one. Great line up for 27 years.

Steve Vai is kind of really spergy so actually yes, maybe

No it's cool, I'll help you out then I'm done:

You cannot put a pedal in front of a guitar that, say, adds or quarters the resistance (gain/distortion) of a dual-coil pickup. You can try, but it won't act the same on every pickup, as all the coils have discrete resistances. With me so far?
So you can wire a series/parallel switch in somewhere that does that for you. This gives you full series gain, like a Gibson Les Paul, or 1/4 gain in parallel, like a Fender Stratocaster, all in one guitar, in one pickup. But when you fiddle with that, you can lose treble when you roll off the volume pot, so you need a capacitor to act as a high-pass filter to roll the lows off to ground. This keeps the pickup bright, not muddy, as you roll off the volume and thereby back off the gain/distortion, giving you a bright clean tone without channel-switching your amplifier.
But each pickup is different, so you need a capacitor that rolls off the lows at just the right frequencies to work with your particular amplifiers. Each pickup/amp combination requires different capacitors and resistors. It's a painstaking process but it's cheap. Every one of my dual-coil pickups, with a few exceptions, has this mod performed for my gear, by me.

There simply does not exist a pedal that can replicate this fundamental interplay between the amp and the guitar. No volume pedal, no gain pedal, nothing will do the same job.

My acoustics that you just mocked as "first-act?" One is a run-of-the-mill Breedlove acoustic which sounds amazing. The other is a 1938 Martin Orchestra Model that my Dad's Dad bought from Mel Bay (THAT Mel Bay) in St. Louis, MO, back in 1938. It's an honest-to-God Depression Era Martin. The one they eventually called the 0000, or dreadnaught. I wonder if you can appreciate what that means.

All of the other instruments have different body woods, pickups, neck woods, finishes, and a couple have hard-tail bridges (my preference). With the mods described above, they each have their own voices. They have their own attack, sustain, decay, and timbre. They each react to my amps in their own, distinctive ways. They look similar, but to a trained ear they are vastly different, and in trained hands they speak differently.

It's not voodoo or audiophile nonsense, it's distinct and it's real and anyone who tried could discern the differences.

And to me, they are all beautiful.

That's my last post. Thank you and goodnight.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Henry Rollins would break your spine and tell you to stop posting stupid pointless threads.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
For anyone who is curious, the body is covered in fabric that is (purportedly) based on the drapes at Steve Vai's mom's house. There are three patterns for the back, front, and headstock. The fabric is applied, then a sunburst finish is sprayed over the fabric. If you look closely, you can see the weave of the fabric but it's pretty tight and you have to look very closely.
It was one of the most popular JEMs and they made it for several years, but they've been out of production for many years now. Mine has the serial # neck plate from 1988 on it, so it's either a late '88 or an early '89 (I bought it in late '89 with money I made building PS/2s on the production line in NC).

Enjoy!

Wait, I have a better picture in the sunlight, with the puppy's toys:

The pickups and knobs all used to be the same color, but two are replacements and UV fades the plastic pretty quickly. Plus, it's like 25 years old.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Dec 29, 2013

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
We call it GAS: Gear Acquisition Syndrome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Lord Lilf posted:

Posting pics of my pen-...guitars.

My baby: an ESP Horizon tuned to C#

An LTD H1007 that I adore just as much. My first seven-string and now I'm not sure how I ever played guitars with fewer strings.
Regular ol' tuning for this one:

I'm also using a Randall RM100 head and a marshall slant cab with only a handful effects pedals. I keep poo poo minimal.

Nice!

(sorry, quoted wrong post!)

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Dec 29, 2013

• Locked thread