Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The Axe-Fx is legit really good for recording. Several bands that I've recorded have come and gone with the Axe-Fx as a Preamp while using a deece power amp. I think the "problems" people have to pick with it (and the Kemper, which I never used) are:
  • It's really loving expensive if you buy it brand new (2.4k if memory doesn't fail me)
  • Unless you pony up around 3k (if not more), you're still just buying the preamp, so, switching sounds and such still requires either the Foot Controller (which sets you back around 600 bucks) or a Voodoo Lab FC (which cost around half of that).
  • While good ones aren't necessarily all that expensive to come around, if you want to use a cab, you still need a Power Amp.
  • According to at least 3 of the guys I've recorded that have used them, dialing up your sounds can get tedious.
That's what I think. Of course, maybe it's just the same ol'' "Tubes are better" school of thought. Which is dumb. It's 2017. I'm not getting rid of all the tube / transistor heads that I have in storage, but let's be honest: Sometimes, convenience wins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

fyodor posted:

i dont djent brah
For shame! :mad:

It's fine, though. :ssh:

GreatGreen posted:

I mean kinda but it's already like 90+% seamless. I mean with the Axe-Fx, the interface and even workflow is *extremely* modular and intuitive. You don't even really need a manual once you understand how the internal signal flow works and how to actually place things in it, which itself takes like a minute to learn if you're already familiar with how electric guitar generally works. Even within specific effects, the first tab is always the most common controls you see on the real thing, with the deeper stuff being on other tabs you never have to even look at.

Honestly the only real interface improvement I can think of is to place a line of physical knobs on the device and attaching basic gain, treb, mid, bass, pres, depth, master, and level controls to them... which the Axe-Fx people have already done with their floor unit, the AX8.

And their software editor's interface is basically as good as it can be, interface wise.
I think that part of the reason as to why Line 6 still has a good share of the Amp/FX Modelling market is that both the POD HD and the Helix are really freakin' easy to dial in, even if they compromise the tone a bit. From what I witnessed (on YouTube videos, at the very least), the AX8 is Fractal going in the right direction, even if it kinda feels like a compromise (if I don't misremember your post in the Amps' thread, since it's a less powerful computer than the one on the Rack Axe-Fx, you can't go apeshit when it comes to doing weird FX routings + dual amp modelling, right?)

Shugojin posted:

So basically you are saying that the companies who make Kemper/Axe FX need to invest in decent UI teams? Because that sounds like the biggest hurdle. Price is one thing but having it be tedious to use is gonna be a big dealbreaker. One of the things I like best about my little THR is that it's super quick and easy to switch between the models and find a good tone.
See above. And what's up, THR-rocking buddy! :hfive:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

:catstare:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Hah!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dewgy posted:

i'm not afraid of clowns, but... toneclowns? :gonk:
Truly the scariest type of clowns.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Spanish Manlove posted:

but it's a girl group! you have to like them
Sleater-Kinney getting back together three years ago made me happy in ways I didn't think would be possible. Carrie Brownstein is the bomb.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Uh, ok? I was just going by her live performances. I don't know much about her aside from that and her Portlandia show (which isn't my bag).

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I've learned to disassociate music from the performer to a good degree especially after one too many letdowns with some of the people who's music I dig/dug in the past. Curiously enough, two of my biggest idols, Slash and Ian MacKaye, turned-out to be decent dudes. So, when I said that Carrie Brownstein is "the bomb", I meant that as a performer.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

^^^The very one!!!

Yea im also a petty bitch waddya gonna do, ya know?
Mostly just laugh at your av, because drawn boners are quite funny in most situations. :)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Indeed, Matt Pike is incredibly fun to hang out with and both Sleep / High on Fire are rad as they come.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

How do you even test a guitar at Guitar Center without playing Sleep/HoF riffs into a dimed Crate?

Unfortunately, since I live in Mexico, good lefty guitars are as rare as a hen's tooth. :(

Fortunately, and thanks to some rad friends in the recording industry and such, I'm currently all covered as far okay-ish South-paw guitars go. ;)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Spanish Manlove posted:

Since there isn't an "awesome music poo poo" thread, I'll post this here:

(they posted this on facebook)
That looks like a pretty bitchin' bass played by Mister Steve Harris, a bitchin' bass player. I approve. :)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Southern Heel posted:

So being slightly less stupid-music-poo poo, what's the alternative for a 339/335 style guitar that's NOT a Gibson?
The Fender Starcaster? It has the dumb headstock, but otherwise, a solid guitar from the looks of it.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Does Meshuggah really even need any sort of pedals? Aren't they the same as those dudes from Periphery in that they run their whole show on rails through Pro-Tools / Cubase triggering their Axe-Fx's and such?

(Nothing against Periphery, I just find their music incredibly 'eh')

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

peter gabriel posted:

They did another one ages ago that had a cooler vibe about it, it looked like something more Americana 50s future:

If it wasn't for the neck inlay and headstock I'd quite like that, and I don't care about Corvettes or whatever, I just think it had a nice look
Hell, I could actually see myself playing this one!

I mean, if I was a bluesdad.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

dex_sda posted:

Wonder if there are audiophiles who go to concerts
I know of a guy who brings ear plugs even to the most vanilla of Soft-Jazz concerts. This is the same guy who also paid like US$5k for a record player alone. It bears repeating (and probably being a bit more specific), but it's true: Snobby Audiophiles are loving morons. Like, if you want to get a set of relatively expensive set of Sennheiser, AKG or Audio-Technica headphones for listening to stuff at home, you're fine. Spending 2 months of your salary on a record player alone just seems unnecessary.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I know a few "Low Budget" Audiophiles who actually taught me about how to actually DIY stuff for way less money and such, instead of just arbitrarily handing money 'because'. Hell, I built the first "good" cab I ever owned.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
What? WHY. It's a telecaster. How can you gently caress up one of the simplest, most effective guitar shapes in existence? No! NO! :argh:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That was... surprisingly ok?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I think I liked this one better. :allears:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The way I think about it when it comes to playing proficiency, is thus:

- "Can you play a couple of covers from your favorite band?" If you can, you're A-OK, keep practicing and try to come off with your own stuff. If you don't, keep practicing.

It's very likely that the guy on that video seldom even picks up a loving guitar, much less plugs it in.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Kilometers Davis posted:

That kid came out of nowhere and is a million times more funny and enjoyable than terreberry/dines/those dudes
Fat dudes are funnier on average.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Gringostar posted:

gibson has been a trash company ever since their current management took over
Aren't Heritage guitars the closest thing to old-school Gibson Les Paul and ES-335's that you can consistently get without playing roulette?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dirt posted:

Yes. They are super nice, and made in the old Gibson factory in Kalamazoo, MI (my hometown!).

Only downsides are that the headstock is weird looking, and they cost about the same as a real Gibson.
Oh, word! :)

A friend saved up enough moolah and bought himself one of them Black Beauty-looking Heritages a few years ago. He swears by it the same way I swear by my Larrivée RS-2. I'm guessing that a lot of original dudes from Gibson's heyday stayed with Heritage, which explains why his guitar sings like a mo'fo.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Excessive gear is Tour-cancer. With my first band, I was so thankful that the bass player and drummer were both engineers (mechatronics) because they:
  • Knew that excessive bullshit was going to kill us
  • Sort out the van space to allow the best accommodation for everything (and everyone) to fit.
Curiously enough, they often made fun of our drummer because he used a really sparse kit. He can still smoke almost any other drummer that I know because of his sense of rhythm, restraint and his creepy, Tool-music-video-esque heel-toe technique.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

I think the worst part of it is the sheer amount of people who seem to think metal = indecipherable growling and high pitch screeching over blast beats and djent, otherwise its not 'metal'.
Those people are loving idiots. Also they probably thumb their noses at the prospect of cuddling. gently caress the lot of them.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yes, they certainly rule, but they hardly constitute the "Be All End All" of metal. ;)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's a pickup ring / frame. They cost like 20 bucks *at most*. Even the cheapest LTD Eclipse probably has them. This is not loving hard, gibson :cripes:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe this goes into Stupid Music poo poo Opionions or something, but you know what I actually liked? The double-cut they released this year. Even with the retarded 4k price tag and the fact that it looked like a PRS clone, I thought "drat, that looks pretty cool".

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Muppets On PCP posted:

so billy sheehan is a nutbar scientologist and anthony fantano is a redpiller

signs and wonders
Isn't Sheehan one of the super old-school Scientologists?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Only my Flying V :negative:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Why is this still a thing? Is this what happens when you have that nagging in the back of your head saying "I've made a piss-poor decision!" on a loop?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dirt posted:

Put it back in GBS too. It got more stupid poo poo posted here before it was moved.
Only if they find new ways to make the surf guitar gif funny.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dirt posted:

Put it back in GBS too. It got more stupid poo poo posted here before it was moved.
Only if they find new ways to make the surf guitar gif funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
e: Dammit!

• Locked thread