Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dirt
May 26, 2003

This is my "ugly" guitar. Most people think "Antigua" finish is ugly.

i think its awesome, so does my cat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt
May 26, 2003

this isnt the ugly bass thread guy

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Can we all agree that P90s are the best pickups though?

I have a dream of owning my own super ugly guitar :

I think it would be amazing. But I'd have to wire it some how so I could get 5 pickup positions.

Is that ugly? I own an Antigua Strat, so apparently I like ugly guitars.

e: Also the single piece wrap around bridge is better than the normal tune-o-matic

Dirt fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jan 9, 2014

Dirt
May 26, 2003

The hum is part of the magic.

Proper shielding helps a lot though.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Jambands are terrible(except for Umphrey's), and most of the people in them play terrible guitars.

This is the official mascot of jambandery, with a leopard on the headstock for some reason:

It's played by this guy, who looks like what Chuck Norris would look like had he taken a bunch of acid instead of karate lessons:

Here is some dude playing from a jamband some stupid double neck fretless synth bullshit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePUhqTt9mXs

I saw these guys open for a semi famous local jamband in Kalamzoo, MI.

I used to play in a jamband when I was younger. I am ashamed

TL:DR Jambands are awful

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

protip: umphrey's mcgee is also terrible

Nope.

Jake Cinninger is one of my favorite guitarists, and Umphrey's is the only jamband I can stand these days. I've seen them live around 40 times. The only bad thing about Umphrey's shows is the sea of white people "dancing" during the show. Also for some reason a lot of frat boys like Umphrey's. I have no idea why.

Jake is the man, even if he does play some ugly rear end guitars from time to time:

They are also the only jamband to do a "metal" song I've ever seen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uKcJL4rjM8

Dirt fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 10, 2014

Dirt
May 26, 2003

So these are a thing:

The Doctor Who fan in me sort of thinks they are neat. But I've been playing guitar a lot longer than I have been watching Doctor Who, so they kind of make me die a little inside.

Here is a nice video of a GuiTARDIS :sigh: in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OUX3RE_3gI

The dude who makes it looks like about what you would think a guy who would make one of these would look like.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

I realized pretty much all pretty decent guitarists seem to play ugly guitars.

Maybe ugly guitars are the way to go.

Dirt fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jan 19, 2014

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Allen Wren posted:

I was originally going to post "I don't recognize the third, fifth or sixth guys," but then I realized who three and five were. Who's six?

Top to Bottom:

Buddy Guy(my hero)

Josh Homme(Queens of the Stone age) x2

Buckethead (also my hero)

Jerry Cantrell(Alice in Chains)

Paul Gilbert.

Pretty much 5 of my favorite guitarists ever. Also all fans of ugly-ish guitars.

I thought for sure everyone would think they all had ugly guitars. Guess not.

Edit: Hendrix talk: He also played an SG from time to time. I've seen videos of him rocking a white triple pickup one I think(flipped over, of course).

Edit x2: Yep: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwaekyQhMfI

Dirt fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 19, 2014

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Tempus Fugit posted:

I'm genuinely confused by this. Are there people out there who hear this and think, "Yes, that's the sound I'm after, this guy is clearly at the top of his game, sign me up." He flat out cannot play and his guitar sounds like poo poo. What gives?

It honestly sounds like one of those "so and so shreds" parody videos.

It's so bad.

edit: reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiXR9ggRdFI

Dirt
May 26, 2003

This will be my next guitar purchase, I love ugly guitars

Dirt
May 26, 2003

I want a synth guitar setup so I can make all kinds of stupid noises like this dude: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlUXq19NbHg

not joking

just add a little flute

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Sire Oblivion posted:

This is gorgeous, then again, I own this:

But I'm gay for Buckethead and things in white. Or I'm just gay. Am I gay? :ohdear:

fake edit: How in the hell is the fretboard white? Is it painted? lol

I am also gay for Buckethead, and hate my self for not buying one of those when they were available.

Also that white V is pretty cool if you ask me.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

White Dog Eggs posted:

Anedotal, but this is true from my experience. You want the wood held together as tight as possible, best way to do that is hex bolts and insert nuts. Glue is terrible and also the cheapest way to make a guitar, the fact that people pay more for set-neck is hilarious to me.

So would neck through be the best scenario then? I have a neck through Carvin...doesn't seem to make any difference compared to my other guitars. I feel like sustain is basically a buzz word.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

How about this?

Blues guitarist from Canada(you know, the REAL home of the blues), Anthony Gomes.

Dude has a tele with same finish too.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

This is cooler than the surf board guitar. Those guys should be friends

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Gibson did a limited run of Les Paul Studio's with a swirl finish.

I thought they looked pretty cool, especially the blue one.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

King Vidiot posted:

Raiders of the Lost Archtop

Speaking of:

...and I like green and gold. Quilted maple ruins loving everything, again. I guess the stupid quasi-Fender shape doesn't help matters.

That's flamed maple, man :eng101:. Get it right.

I think the stupid bird inlay is the biggest problem with PRS guitars. Well that, and them not really sounding that great.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Side Effects posted:

Anyway, the Gibson reverse explorer is pretty drat ugly:

If they put a normal headstock(or even a reverse Explorer one) on it, and a much smaller pickguard, it wouldn't look that bad.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

The zoot suit sg looks pretty cool to me. Wonder why they decided to make them out of plywood, and still charge normal SG prices... I'd buy one for like 300 bucks.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Paul Gilbert owns

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Nile tunes down to like A or something stupidly low like that, and it sounds fine. That metal band Bitchtard played with probably just sucks.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

How about a 24x12 cab(as in 24, 12 inch speakers)?

Would be nice for a Doom Metal rig.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Saw this on my local shops website:

:psyduck:

There was no reason to ever create this abortion of a guitar

Dirt
May 26, 2003

fappenmeister posted:

Dark Terror or #4, yay or nay?

I liked it. Ended up with an OR-15 though. It's pretty much better in every aspect.

I'd rank the low end Orange stuff like this: OR-15 > Dark terror #4 > Dark Terror > Tiny Terror.

But any of those four would make for an awesome amp.

PS buy used.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

What is going on with that inlay?

Dirt
May 26, 2003

comes along bort posted:

just don't play any blues recorded by white people

This is the best advice ever.

I've decided long ago that once I have kids im going to become a flamenco dad. That sounds pretty cool to me.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

I played this at Elderly today(best guitar store ever FYI):

It actually plays pretty nice. Not worth 1100 bucks though. It's a 1982 Guild X-79. I would seriously buy it if it was 500 or less.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Sockington posted:

I counter with this Samick find today that played well, but man that colour.

I think that's pretty awesome looking, the color isn't THAT bad...What is that, faded pink? haha But the pickguard is awful.
How much was it?

Dirt fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 25, 2014

Dirt
May 26, 2003

This is awesome.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

BC Rich makes some ugly guitars, but Mockingbirds are pretty legit.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Are those nylon strings? Flamenco dad!

Dirt
May 26, 2003

comes along bort posted:

nobody's championing $300 tubescreamer clones yet

A bought a 40 dollar Joyo tube screamer,it's every bit as nice as the 200ish dollar(pedal + mod)one that I had before it(My whole pedal board was stolen out of my car).

I've been rebuilding my pedal collection with cheaper things. I like the cheaper poo poo more honestly.

Joyo pedals are the poo poo. ~40 dollar or less Chinese made clones of popular pedals.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

comes along bort posted:

haha he plays like the worst guitar center no concept of rhythm srv-wannabe blues noodling bullshit too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFAzT2CDoEc&t=167s

Holy poo poo that is terrible.

Usually white knockoff blues dudes at least have some good tone. That ES-335 sounds like nails on a chalkboard. Even by mediocre white guy blues standards that was bad.

Dirt fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 1, 2014

Dirt
May 26, 2003

The best drum video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8DsNo4KB6Y

Bernard Purdie is gonna splain to you how it works.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Wow, this the first time I've ever seen something like that. I am shocked this hasn't been a thing with bluesdads for years.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

HollisBrown posted:

I could legit jerk off to that video, not in a sexual way mind you. Like in a "this is fuckin cool. How could I make this cooler? Jerking off!" kind of way.

Bernard Purdie has that effect on people.

White Dog Eggs posted:

mclast just sent me this via email and now I'm scared

Jesus christ.

In other news: I need some advice! I want a 1x15 guitar cab. Any idea on who makes a decent one? Or even empty ones/kits? My very first tube amp was a Peavy Delta Blues 1x15 combo. I loved that thing! I played with that amp for like 6 years, so I think I am biased towards 15's.

I asked in the ML guitar thread and nobody replied, so I figured I would try here. This thread is way more active.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

mclast posted:

are you looking for a combo or just a cab? names that come to mind are Peavey and Mesa, or (if you don't depend on amp reverb/distortion) get a sweet used bass amp

Just looking for a cab. Seems like nobody really makes 1x15 cabs for guitar. I saw one by "65 Amps" that was like 750 bucks. That's about it. I wish Orange made 1x15's.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Orange amps sure are trendy these days

I have an OR-15, its awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Lipstick pickups own. But this thing is hideous.

• Locked thread