Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Gilgameshback posted:

Is this guitar designed for some new, unheard-of type of dad?

A gross squiddy sound engineer girl in my conducting class has this exact guitar. She's terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

comes along bort posted:

well it's either that or have the ball end stick out. maybe if string manufacturers made .90+ gauge strings that'll fit a guitar longer than 26" scale with a reverse headstock i wouldn't have to resort to extreme meaures

but like a wise man once said you don't go to war with the army you want, you go to war with the army you have

But.... But it looks all wonky :qq:

bitchtard
Dec 3, 2010

What's up with hand wound poo poo? Do people do it better than machines, or do little flaws give more "character"?

Or is it more voodoo garbage?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Bitchtard posted:

What's up with hand wound poo poo? Do people do it better than machines, or do little flaws give more "character"?

while i'm not going to say yeah stux is right, hand wound pickups do tend to have different qualities. it's called scatterwinding, and it's cool. the hand wound-ness isn't generally something that draws someone to a boutique pickup manufacturer unless they're a lawyer or cork sniffer or w/e it's the sonic qualities of the pickups or the design ethos of the makers. i love my bareknuckles, but i also love seymour duncan pickups and dimarzio pickups. they just all have different sounds.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

I had a Godin I ordered and was really excited about cause they're supposed to be so loving awesome. It was sort of a "high end" guitar or was supposed to be I guess. Made in USA, non-licensed parts, all that

It practically fell apart in my hands. I took it back literally the day after I got it because it had so many problems.

I got a plain, brown ibanez prestige S to replace it and it's such a good instrument I literally haven't had the desire to play another electric since.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Bitchtard posted:

Hand-wound pickups are generally 'scatter wound', which means that rather than being nice and neat like a machine made pickups, the copper wire is crossed over itself and is essentially random, scatter wound tends to sound a bit more organic than machine wound. I've wound/rewound loads of pickups and scatterwound pickups generally do sound a bit better, gently caress knows why though, I'd love to hear a proper scientific reason for it.

e

muike posted:

hand wound pickups do tend to have different qualities. it's called scatterwinding, and it's cool. the hand wound-ness isn't generally something that draws someone to a boutique pickup manufacturer unless they're a lawyer or cork sniffer or w/e it's the sonic qualities of the pickups or the design ethos of the makers. i love my bareknuckles, but i also love seymour duncan pickups and dimarzio pickups. they just all have different sounds.

:golfclap:

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass
"organic"

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

I honestly had no idea how else to phrase it :shrug:.

bitchtard
Dec 3, 2010

Thanks!

I really liked the qtuner I bought, but it'd be nice to have something a little more conventional that isn't crap.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Stux posted:

Ive played a large amount of RGs since, like you, they are my favourite guitars
:aaaaa:

Welp, I've been called out, so I guess I'd better defend myself!

I buy the pickups I buy because of who plays them, and because they are affordable; and mostly because they actually sound really good to me. None of them sound like dreck. I have a few misguided guitarist friends who shell out for Frailins or Bardens or whatever the flavor of the month is, but I've found them to be more about cred than tone. They're overpriced and not worth the extra money and wait time: diminishing returns on investment for a difference most people will never notice. Lastly, whoever mentioned Bareknuckles and their equivalents, I don't ever need that much gain from a pickup. It's cool if you enjoy them, but active pickups in general are not my thing (except in basses.)

My point stands, the necks are indeed different and whether the difference is THIS BIG or this big to you is irrelevant, you can't just lump them all together and say they're all the same. That's just pure horseshit.

As to the lights in the ENGL, I am not familiar with their amplifier line and in the pic they just looked like hot power tubes to me, like in my own amps; and all the other tube amps I've played and seen played in the last 30 years. You do know that tubes really do glow, even without LEDs in them?

Lastly, I'd love to have a Fractal but that's way out of my price range. The PODHD is more affordable, more portable and self-contained, sounds fantastic, and is a huge leap from previous Line6 efforts. It's the first affordable modeller I'd actually gig with, but it's a compromise. I love practicing through it instead of blasting out my neighbors with my tube amps.
I aso have Amplitube 3 and plenty of other modelers on my laptop, too; but the PODHD is simpler to set up and get right to work with, and it's more portable. It works great as a simple, low-latency recording interface, too.

So, if you're quite finished, we'll end this here.
If, however, you still have more to argue about, then I happily leave the last words to you.

Stux posted:

Ive played a large amount of RGs since, like you, they are my favourite guitars
:cheers:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

Dr. Faustus posted:

:aaaaa:

Welp, I've been called out, so I guess I'd better defend myself!

I buy the pickups I buy because of who plays them, and because they are affordable; and mostly because they actually sound really good to me. None of them sound like dreck. I have a few misguided guitarist friends who shell out for Frailins or Bardens or whatever the flavor of the month is, but I've found them to be more about cred than tone. They're overpriced and not worth the extra money and wait time: diminishing returns on investment for a difference most people will never notice. Lastly, whoever mentioned Bareknuckles and their equivalents, I don't ever need that much gain from a pickup. It's cool if you enjoy them, but active pickups in general are not my thing (except in basses.)

My point stands, the necks are indeed different and whether the difference is THIS BIG or this big to you is irrelevant, you can't just lump them all together and say they're all the same. That's just pure horseshit.

As to the lights in the ENGL, I am not familiar with their amplifier line and in the pic they just looked like hot power tubes to me, like in my own amps; and all the other tube amps I've played and seen played in the last 30 years. You do know that tubes really do glow, even without LEDs in them?

Lastly, I'd love to have a Fractal but that's way out of my price range. The PODHD is more affordable, more portable and self-contained, sounds fantastic, and is a huge leap from previous Line6 efforts. It's the first affordable modeller I'd actually gig with, but it's a compromise. I love practicing through it instead of blasting out my neighbors with my tube amps.
I aso have Amplitube 3 and plenty of other modelers on my laptop, too; but the PODHD is simpler to set up and get right to work with, and it's more portable. It works great as a simple, low-latency recording interface, too.

So, if you're quite finished, we'll end this here.
If, however, you still have more to argue about, then I happily leave the last words to you.

:cheers:

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

comes along bort posted:

pure loving metal

I like this. No, I love it. Neck-thru, ok, solid walnut, restrained, gotta love it. It's like little dancing gumbytar.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
Also, bare knuckles are passives, there is no reason for you to think an amp glowing BRIGHT RED is the tubes, the pod HD is terrible and for you to base assumptions such as "modellers are unreliable and don't sound as good as real amps" on such a low end pile of poo poo is ridiculous and you do it simply to justify your tube obsession.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
This thread is taking a turn onto the autism spectrum at an alarming rate.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

Mr. Mambold posted:

I like this. No, I love it. Neck-thru, ok, solid walnut, restrained, gotta love it. It's like little dancing gumbytar.

word throw in a low-gain single coil neck pickup and i could rock this just fine. way easier to pull off than the mockingbird lol

HollisBrown posted:

This thread is taking a turn onto the autism spectrum at an alarming rate.

stux you made faustus look reasonable what did you doo

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

mclast posted:

word through in a low-gain single coil neck pickup and i could rock this just fine. way easier to pull off than the mockingbird lol

stux you made faustus look reasonable what did you doo

i am the hero this thread needs

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
buying 8 jems isn't much sillier than liking jems in the first place :clint:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

mclast posted:

buying 8 jems isn't much sillier than liking jems in the first place :clint:

i like RGs, jems are overpriced ugly poo poo

much like this:

Stux fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 1, 2014

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
The Something Awful Forums > Main > GBS 1.4 > THE WORST MUSIC EQUIPMENT AND STUFF: The Dr. Faustus Own Zone

Please mods?

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

:confused:

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

Doctor Dogballs posted:

I had a Godin I ordered and was really excited about cause they're supposed to be so loving awesome. It was sort of a "high end" guitar or was supposed to be I guess. Made in USA, non-licensed parts, all that

It practically fell apart in my hands. I took it back literally the day after I got it because it had so many problems.

I got a plain, brown ibanez prestige S to replace it and it's such a good instrument I literally haven't had the desire to play another electric since.

this makes me sad

my p90 lg, which is pretty low end, has served faithfully for years, absolutely no structural or electrical problems, and a dream to play

liked it so much so that i bought a second lg with buckers about a month ago

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Stux posted:

much like this:

that finish owns, shattered electronics glass is a hard look to get while avoiding being able to slice yourself open on all of it

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

I love how this thread randomly summons Faustus on purpose only to tell him to shut the gently caress up. It's an amazingly entertaining cycle this thread has.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

The Faustus taunters are much worse than Faustus. The guy just likes his musical equipment, there's no way to prove that's he wrong about it.

Also,

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
my favorite thing about that manson is how many videos ther eare on youtube of people who put kaoss pads into their guitars and just make videos of them playing muse songs

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004
knock knock

whos there

dr faustus

shut up

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Forum invasion from TGP?

Seriously, wtf with all the decisive statements about 'that sucks this is the good thing?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

White Dog Eggs posted:

Hand-wound pickups are generally 'scatter wound', which means that rather than being nice and neat like a machine made pickups, the copper wire is crossed over itself and is essentially random, scatter wound tends to sound a bit more organic than machine wound. I've wound/rewound loads of pickups and scatterwound pickups generally do sound a bit better, gently caress knows why though, I'd love to hear a proper scientific reason for it.

if i had to guess it probably has something to do with differences in coupling and distributed capacitance due to the distances between wires in a scatterwound vs machine wound pickup. maybe coil size too, but that's probably too small a difference to matter

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Stux posted:

much like this:

What's the thing by the bridge?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
korg kaoss pad

it's a midi touch controller

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

muike posted:

korg kaoss pad

it's a midi touch controller
Does me not knowing what the gently caress make me more or less cool?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
you are safe here.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

iostream.h posted:

Forum invasion from TGP?

Seriously, wtf with all the decisive statements about 'that sucks this is the good thing?

nobody's championing $300 tubescreamer clones yet

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

Dewgy posted:

that finish owns, shattered electronics glass is a hard look to get while avoiding being able to slice yourself open on all of it

no its gaudy dumb poo poo for idiots. hence why its matt belamy's guitar.

also the kaoss pad just adds salt to the wound

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

man thats gross posted:

this makes me sad

my p90 lg, which is pretty low end, has served faithfully for years, absolutely no structural or electrical problems, and a dream to play

liked it so much so that i bought a second lg with buckers about a month ago

Can you expand on this? I was playing with the Ibanez guy but I'm legitimately curious about Godin as a brand.

I've played one or two pieces similar to the pic posted, small formfactor nylong string instruments meant to be plugged in, and they were decent (i'd have been happy at $600 price point) but they were very expensive, around $2000. It's hard for me to picture liking something that specialized more than a regular classical, all solidwood, with a mounted pickup, which I know i could get new for around a thousand. It looks like the P90LG is regular solidbody style, is that electric steel string? .009 or .010 guage set on there? what's the price point and what's your experience?

mclast fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Mar 1, 2014

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

Gilgameshback posted:

Is the finish filled with fine tone-enhancing nail clippings?

SaNChEzZ posted:

They're actually Mogellons.

They're actually Spencer Seim's (the guy who owns the guitar) beard clippings. "Beardburst" is what the luthier called it.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Stux posted:

no its gaudy dumb poo poo for idiots. hence why its matt belamy's guitar.

also the kaoss pad just adds salt to the wound

i like gaudy dumb poo poo and am an idiot so this makes sense

Dec 26, 2012

Gilgameshback posted:

The Faustus taunters are much worse than Faustus.

the wrongest post

Dirt
May 26, 2003

comes along bort posted:

nobody's championing $300 tubescreamer clones yet

A bought a 40 dollar Joyo tube screamer,it's every bit as nice as the 200ish dollar(pedal + mod)one that I had before it(My whole pedal board was stolen out of my car).

I've been rebuilding my pedal collection with cheaper things. I like the cheaper poo poo more honestly.

Joyo pedals are the poo poo. ~40 dollar or less Chinese made clones of popular pedals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

mclast posted:

Can you expand on this? I was playing with the Ibanez guy but I'm legitimately curious about Godin as a brand.

I've played one or two pieces similar to the pic posted, small formfactor nylong string instruments meant to be plugged in, and they were decent (i'd have been happy at $600 price point) but they were very expensive, around $2000. It's hard for me to picture liking something that specialized more than a regular classical, all solidwood, with a mounted pickup, which I know i could get new for around a thousand. It looks like the P90LG is regular solidbody style, is that electric steel string? .009 or .010 guage set on there? what's the price point and what's your experience?

godin is kinda weird because they have these sort of low-end workhorses like the lg and the freeway and the session, just like bog-standard no-surprises well-built guitars. then they also have like nylon string acousticasters with synth outputs and i dunno what the gently caress.

i cant speak to their weirder stuff, but a friend of mine used to gig with a montreal premiere, and it was a friggin masterpiece. im not one to drop that kind of scratch on guitars, but if i had the money, some high-end godins would definitely be in my future.

ive only ever personally owned their lg p90, which i got retail for $350, and more recently a long and mcquade anniversary edition lg they made in 2006(?), which i got second hand for $450. the former is a simple gloss black, mahogany body and neck with a rosewood board, seymour duncan p90s. made in canada and the us. wiring is clean, never gave me any trouble, sounds great. the anniversary edition is the same body construction, but with a whiskey burst quilted maple top, and seymour duncan humbuckers with a 5-way switch for coil splitting. i plan on selling the p90 because i could use the cash, and the anni ed. is a much more versatile instrument. only sticking point right now is some fret buzz on the new-to-me lg, but i just havent had time to set it up properly.

i have 9s on the hb, and i was playing around with flatwound 11s on the p90 most recently.

i just think they're a mean deal for the price. $350-450 doesnt get you a whole hell of a lot of guitar in most cases.

oh that reminds me they also come with super solid gig bags. tough as gently caress.

• Locked thread