Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Steve Vai is cool he is self aware and cultivates his image intentionally. How else do you become the guitarist behind the Wyld Stallyns?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
One thing I really like about Via's guitars is that he scallops the high frets which lets you run the action lower while being able to really grab the strings for bends. I have a ibanez 3750z and I wish it had the scalloped frets.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Predamaged new guitar!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

This is a legitimately cool guitar.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Horror Queefs posted:

i think they look alright. i have a jackson flying v, although i prefer the Dinky style ones but this was free, anyway, if you usually play sitting down, the v's really really suck. if you want a cool "metal" guitar style then get one with the Explorer style IMO

Flying V is a great guitar. Light, sits super comfortably with a strap, sounds good. Get one and play it standing up because thats how you should practice anyway.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

comes along bort posted:

said it last page but bears repeating this isn't the serious ownage guitar thread. direct all discussion of the jackson king v, rhoades, dinky, soloist, warrior, kelly, ibanez xiphos, bc rich warbeast, dean ml, and associated guitars to the appropriate place

Direct your directions to my butt

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Also every Dean guitar is hideous. Who thought it was a good idea to make a headstock that is nearly the same size as the guitar body?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Um, you guys ever heard of russian gypsies from the 1800s?? Noobs in this thread talking about corn or whatever...

edit:

Salt Fish fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Dec 27, 2013

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Glorious soviet guitar:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Okay, I actually like this one quite a bit:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

comes along bort posted:

and if you want to get hyper-specific about this stupid topic dimebag tuned down to f# way back in 95, the same year meshuggah put out destroy erase improve which led to the whole 8 string djent horseshit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgL1KzqODiU

djent- the dumbbest loving non-word

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Dr. Faustus posted:

This, unironically.

Though Steve says he doesn't do drugs. He seems hippy-dippy enough to mean it, but I remember a story he or Satriani told about the two of them dropping acid in NJ together one time.

Also, I unironically enjoyed CC's last post. That guitar is very funny.

Post the story please.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Okay, I just gotta say a few things about Steve Vai because I think its really important that people reading this thread know what I think here goes...

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

I am OK posted:

I'm pretty sure other instruments don't have the sheer amount of awful slavish spergs that guitars do. Pianists will have like 3 pianos in their lifetime if they're lucky. Flutists will have a handful. Guitar threads are never about music but instead always about new gear. Just a few observations, op.

why would a flutist buy so many pianos??

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Rank these three things that ruin a guitar thread:

1) Faustus

2) People who can't stop talking about (how much they hate) Steve Vai

3) Faustus making long posts about Steve Vai

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

ZombieParts posted:

i refuse to believe you're serious

Speaking of being serious did you know that according to Steve Vai's song "gently caress yourself" organized religion is "some seriously sinnin’ business"?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I'll have some more interesting and relevant Steve Vai facts later in the thread so be sure to check back

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I noticed that this thread wasn't about me enough so here is a guitar I own:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

White Dog Eggs posted:

Cream on blue? You monster.

Cream?? No, that is bright yellow.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Nobody has ripped on Joe Satriani's guitars yet so here are the ugliest ones (IE not a solid color)

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Lot of Ibanez on this page. Hot or not?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Dr. Faustus posted:

I don't like his tunes that much, but you have to give him this: unlike Vai, who goes nuts on stage and uses fans and lights and stuff to put on a good show while not playing his best; with Satch being the other side.
Satch barely moves and he plays his worn-out material note-for-note prefect, while looking terrible.

I gotta hand it to Satch. He has an endorsement for every part of his gear, but he has and will not evolve.

Vai, on the other hand, tries all kinds of new stuff (I consider it the Zappa influence) and some of it works.

And his guitars, as much you hate the ugliness of them, are the fighter jets of guitars. I just insist on using better sounding pickups.

If I were, I would be like a Lovecraftian monster the size of Iowa by now.

O this is dependent on one thing. Are those all little pieces of wood glued together? If so, I worry about the sustain and attack of the guitar. If it's a visual trick, it could sound great and look very unique.

gently caress you.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I had the smallest scrap of sympathy for faustus but he hosed it all up with that post about Joe Satriani.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
can I challenge faustus to a guitar solo challenge in which posters vote for 1 person to be banned

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I tried to read this poo poo but I just can't. Someone pm me if that challenge gets accepted.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Dr. Faustus posted:

Post some ugly guitars that haven't been posted already.

Wow look who thinks people should post guitars instead of talking about faustus. Good to know you're a hypocrite in addition to a crybaby.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Declan MacManus posted:

It's a hollowbody but the f-holes are like daggers because f-holes are for loving pussies

Also how have you scrubs not posted any Icemans

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Faustus is a narcissist who is only capable of talking about himself. Everyone knows someone like this who just blah blah blah about themselves on and on. God forbid if you run into someone like that while you're trying to have a good time at the bar.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Steve Vai post:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx8FanC70S4

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Steve Vai post:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cEdqWZi13I

Who is better at guitar steve vai or steve vai

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYW177hXFE8

Also steve and steve playing guitar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrBLnB3ze5Y

Salt Fish fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jan 4, 2014

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

White Dog Eggs posted:

I actually like this one :shrug:

What bugs me about that guitar is that the pick guard won't actually guard anything.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

stratdax posted:

I apologize. Is this your fretless guitar? Because it's totally hot.

um, trying to figure out which state or country that is...

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Dr. Faustus posted:

Because it's a bad recording of an original tune that I wrote and it means a lot to me. I can't really get into why because it's personal stuff, but I will admit this:

My musical friends have told me that if I ever try to record it by myself again they're gonna take all my gear away from me. We played it in the prog rock band and a blues band at gigs and upped the tempo a bit, and with the addition of other voices and tones it comes off a lot better.

Salt Fish posted:

Faustus is a narcissist who is only capable of talking about himself. Everyone knows someone like this who just blah blah blah about themselves on and on. God forbid if you run into someone like that while you're trying to have a good time at the bar.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Dr. Faustus posted:

I'd rather not talk about anyone else around here because this thread is so negative there's not much that I can say about any of you that's nice. I'm not a narcissist (I know real, clinical narcissists in my own family and they are incredibly destructive, way more than a guitarist like myself anti-posting in an ugly guitar thread) and I feel bad when I let myself sink to insulting people. It feels great at first but then later I feel ashamed.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
lol "anti-posting"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Fax Sr posted:

sup thread

Haha wow, they should have made all of those knobs gears so that when you turn one they all turn.

• Locked thread