Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

BeefThief posted:

guitarists in groups of more than two or by themselves are insufferable. and yes i play guitar.

gently caress you pat metheny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp1wHZfZz9s

just posting to say your a loving idiot m8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

Dewgy posted:

to be honest it probably does affect qualities of the tone like sustain or how much the strings resonate off each other but the shame of it is you can slap a huge pricetag on something and suddenly "it affects the tone in a nigh imperceptible way to human ears" becomes "it sounds better like this and you know nothing"

tons of marketing helps get people thinking that way. for acoustic, this has been my fav for a few years:

Martin DXK2AE - made of repressed wood scraps but sounds like an expensive rear end guitar. i take it down to the local bar sometimes where i know some musicians and people always assume it cost way more than it should. play what you like the sound of

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
that's loving badass

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
i really loved the jazz iii's after trying them and always have one near the top in my pick holder. gonna try out the acoustic assortment from v-picks and see what's up

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Fahey and Kottke are about as good as it gets for fingerstyle, IMO. If you somehow haven't heard Kottke's debut album here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6HgQHj-zb4

Check out Davey Graham for a blend of folk, middle eastern and classical. Dude was bringing that over right around when Coltrane was for jazz.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

comes along bort posted:

haha candyrat. they're the shrapnel records of faux-americana

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZDOV2i61tM

only pat metheny is allowed to look at the fretboard

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
lmao that's great

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
banjo is missing something...

there we go :twisted:

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
that man can do anything he wants to a banjo IMO

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I think it also dispenses jaeger

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

fuctifino posted:

How can you post a pic of Bela without linking to their 'Live At The Quick' gig?

everytime i go to watch a snippet of that concert I end up watching the whole thing

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

tacodaemon posted:

Speaking of drums, I've noticed a weird sort of "bathtub curve" wherein: (1) people who don't know anything about drums figure Ringo must be great because he was in the Beatles; (2) people who know something about playing drums think Ringo sucks; but (3) people who are really fantastic and respected on drums have this weird sort of reverential attitude about Ringo.

I used to run a Beatles bootleg radio show deal on the goon station and from listening to countless bootlegs I can say that Ringo basically was on point 99% of the time. Whatever idea they tried he would have a beat ready for it. You really hear it during the sessions for what became Let It Be. Everyone is coming up with an old cover or some crazy idea and he would instantly be supporting it with solid drumming that supported the ideas. I think people who play in jam bands are more likely to appreciate that kind of drumming since you really have to listen to each other and play what fits.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
pulling those frets right out :twisted:

haha just watched the video and they couldn't even have one of those idealized situations where it actually sounds good. poo poo sounds terrible

Incredulous Dylan fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Apr 29, 2014

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
the guitarist in my group switched over to using my nashville power tele for our rock disco-type stuff

if you haven't seen a nashville power tele they are worth checking out. i swapped the pickups, bridge and saddle on mine immediately after buying it through some shady craigslist deal. pretty sure the dude was a traveling junkie from the cleanup job it needed. turned out to be an anniversary model from the 90s, though

Incredulous Dylan fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 1, 2014

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
that would gently caress up my shoulder in probably one hour

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

My problem with wanking like this is that music is just as much about the parts where you're not playing. Pauses define the rhythm and feel of your music. Guys like this just play fastfastfast and their music doesn't have a sound, it's just a bunch of notes that don't sound horrible next to each other flying at you. Here's some good speed + rhythm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT9hvyDvKHA

i don't think you gotta have space in music for it to be beautiful or convey a story but you just have to know how to separate the voicings. playing fast doesn't mean jack if you can't lay down a theme and give the notes some meaning. our boy joe pass knows what's up when it comes to always playing always:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWu2j-LyLpQ

thats my story

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
i can't stand ibanez headstocks for some reason

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
lol if you are trying to enjoy tonewoods without proper tonewood for your walls

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004