Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
Why are you forced to pay $25 up front for what is, judging by the first game, about an hour of content? Seems like a bit of a rub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Skippy McPants posted:

Really? You can pause?!

I never even considered that, why even have the bloody timer there if you can pause it whenever you want?

Pausing is cheating. :colbert:

However, it is a nice consideration.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Splurgerwitzl posted:

Why are you forced to pay $25 up front for what is, judging by the first game, about an hour of content? Seems like a bit of a rub.

You're paying for about 5 hours of content; it's just they've only finished the first hour and release 'em as episodes every 1-3 months or so.

In essence, you're paying for an entire season up-front.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Splurgerwitzl posted:

Who's forcing you? How did you finish Season 1 in under an hour? Are you a bit of an idiot?

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
Man I played Clem as this super friendly little girl who only reluctantly did the practical thing to survive. I didn't want her to be a sociopath after trying so hard to raise her right in season 1. The only person I was rude to was the girl who wanted me to promise her like 5 times that we would be best friends. It just seemed an obvious trap/terrible decision that would bite me in the rear end if I'm somehow forced to leave the group at one point. I was sure I was going to be forced out after almost getting shot, and I only realized that promising to leave was the wrong decision when I saw the previews for the next episode. .

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
I just played through 400 Days and, unlike Season 1, I'm not satisfied with the way things turned out. I had to make some tough calls in S1 but the results usually seemed fair to the player (not necessarily to the characters :(). We don't know much about the people in 400 Days but - considering the way I played - it felt out-of-character when only Bonnie agreed to go with Tavia. I'd like to give it another shot; is there a way to replay it while keeping my S1 save intact? Ideally, this next playthrough would build on top of the S1 save, overwriting only this one episode.

By the way, about Christa in season 1: it was obvious she was pregnant as soon as she threw up during the dog exhumation and the game kept hitting you in the head with very subtle :siren:CLUES:siren:, but it actually never came out in conversation. Near the end of episode 5 Lee says to her "you're walking for two" or something like that and I have no idea where that came from. If Lee was oblivious to her condition back in Crawford (watching the tape), then there's no chance he just figured it on his own between episodes. Did I miss something?

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
So, apparently the preview screen for Episode 4 of Season 2 changes depending on your choices. The Walking Dead wiki seems to think there are three different versions of it and that your choices influence which one it is. I can only find two online though. Linked for ambiguous spoilers.

Version 1

Version 2

(Analysis) So the guy in the hood in both pictures is clearly Eddie from Wyatts story in 400 Days. I am also pretty sure that the guy on the left in Version 1 is Vince. It is hard to see in the lighting, but if you mess around with the settings the features of his face are discernible.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

It looks more to me like one's from a Playstation (xbox?) and the other's from a PC. Or something. In that first one Clem is facing to the left instead of straight ahead like she does on the pc version.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
Yeah, pretty sure it's platform (and maybe region for consoles?) dependent. I have two PC saves with completely inverted choices and I get the second slide either way, but my friend on PS3 has the first one.

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.
I'm on Xbox and have the second one.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

I've seen both playing the PS3 version, it was Version 1 up until after my second playthrough, then it changed to version 2.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Grand Prize Winner posted:

You're paying for about 5 hours of content

Man you're making this sound grim. Season 1 was about 18 hours for me!

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Really? gently caress. Probably 18 hours then. I didn't time it.

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
I dunno, the first season only took me 13 hours including 400 days. The first episode of this season is way shorter than the average of last season, too, but we'll have to wait and see how long the rest are.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

THE PWNER posted:

Man you're making this sound grim. Season 1 was about 18 hours for me!

If you got 18 hours out of the first one then you're probably looking at like 12 here, unless the episode lengths aren't even remotely uniform.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

BB2K posted:

I dunno, the first season only took me 13 hours including 400 days. The first episode of this season is way shorter than the average of last season, too, but we'll have to wait and see how long the rest are.

Each season 1 episode felt about 3 hours long to me, if you talked to everyone etc. Those extra 3 hours are probably from "what the gently caress am I meant to do here?"

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Clearly though the main issue is the lack of number key control.

:goonsay:

e: I legit believe this.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
In my first playthrough I got stuck for like 30 minutes alone trying to work out how to get the gate to the pharmacy open and then it turns out that the only way to open it is save Glenn first. I thought getting meds for the guy who almost had a heart attack was the more pressing issue so I tried every avenue to do that first with no clue you couldn't.

Stuff like that certainly adds on the hours.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

People keep saying the guy on the far left of the fourth episode's screen looks like Vince, when I think it looks more like Justin. Just flip his character model so his part is on the other side. It might be they were short on character models when they made that screen and just shadowed it up while dropping some minor characters in the background - I'm pretty sure Eddie is meant to be there, since he's so visible, but I could believe they just wanted someone to fill the space on the left side and figured if they obscured him enough it wouldn't matter.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Dolash posted:

People keep saying the guy on the far left of the fourth episode's screen looks like Vince, when I think it looks more like Justin. Just flip his character model so his part is on the other side. It might be they were short on character models when they made that screen and just shadowed it up while dropping some minor characters in the background - I'm pretty sure Eddie is meant to be there, since he's so visible, but I could believe they just wanted someone to fill the space on the left side and figured if they obscured him enough it wouldn't matter.

You're looking too far left. Look at the leftmost guy here and you can pretty clearly see has the same hair as Vince.

I agree that the non-Eddies could just be random characters inserted so there would be a bunch of shadowy figures around Clem, especially since the guy on the very far left kinda looks more like Dough than Justin to me, and obviously that doesn't make any sense.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Well this is off to a great start. I liked Season 1 but parts of it felt a little rough. Loved the poo poo out of this episode though.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I played all of season one after it was finished so I didn't realize until I finished the episode that it was the only one released. It was good, but I'm sorta wishing I hadn't played it.

I'm definitely playing Clem harder than I ever played Lee. Lee was a super nice guy, reasonable and loyal, completely against confrontation if he could help it, but I feel like Clem has been hardened by the situation. She's had to make some tough calls and she's not going to let people walk all over her or pretend to be innocent. She was forgiving and wasn't going to go out of her way to get into arguments, but gently caress you lady if you think you can be a total bitch to her.

I also pinkie-swore to be BFFs with the crazy girl. I knew it was a mistake and will bite me in the rear end even as I was making it, but I didn't really see a way out of the situation that I wanted to take.

I still really love the gameplay reinforcing the story and the characters. You basically just end up playing the character as yourself since usually there's not enough time to make a thoughtful roleplaying type decision. I suppose you could go into it saying you'll always pick the meanest or nicest decision, but if you just take each dialogue choice as it comes with no real prior thought as to what a particular type of character would do, then who your character is and what they care about really emerges organically from the story. So if my Clem is hardened compared to Lee, it's because I've been hardened by the story.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
Well gently caress, the guy in Amid the Ruins for my game has A guy with Kenny's hair, not Vince. Vince was also the only one who didn't come to Tavia's camp in my save.

This is the one I've got

So many juicy teases.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

THE PWNER posted:

Well gently caress, the guy in Amid the Ruins for my game has A guy with Kenny's hair, not Vince. Vince was also the only one who didn't come to Tavia's camp in my save.

This is the one I've got

So many juicy teases.
Vince went with Tavia in my game and my 'Amid the Ruins' shot is the same as yours.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

GOT A EXTRA TITTY posted:

To prevent losing sales to autists who don't want to have meaningful choices in a small window of opportunity.

Some people like to win the games they play. That's not autism.(I don't personally believe that WD is a game, per se, but it won GoTY, so we'll assume it is)

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

lotus circle posted:

Vince went with Tavia in my game and my 'Amid the Ruins' shot is the same as yours.

It must just be platform dependent then.

All of these loving theories about "I thought you were dead" and this title screen, they're doing pretty good marketing.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

THE PWNER posted:

drat I was hoping for some Bonnie when she doesn't hit Dee poo poo

I know this is last page and all, but what happens?

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Iron Crowned posted:

I know this is last page and all, but what happens?

Bonnie gets killed and you don't get to see who it is. Dee is hard as a motherfucker.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Some people like to win the games they play. That's not autism.(I don't personally believe that WD is a game, per se, but it won GoTY, so we'll assume it is)

To talk about winning is to fundamentally misunderstand how this game works.

Asiina posted:

I played all of season one after it was finished so I didn't realize until I finished the episode that it was the only one released. It was good, but I'm sorta wishing I hadn't played it.

I'm definitely playing Clem harder than I ever played Lee. Lee was a super nice guy, reasonable and loyal, completely against confrontation if he could help it, but I feel like Clem has been hardened by the situation. She's had to make some tough calls and she's not going to let people walk all over her or pretend to be innocent. She was forgiving and wasn't going to go out of her way to get into arguments, but gently caress you lady if you think you can be a total bitch to her.

I also pinkie-swore to be BFFs with the crazy girl. I knew it was a mistake and will bite me in the rear end even as I was making it, but I didn't really see a way out of the situation that I wanted to take.

Still find it interesting how many people are playing Clem much 'tougher' than they did Lee. I agree that survival has taken a back seat to being a nice person but I think my survival is better served by trying to get into people's good books rather than blackmailing and antagonising them. I mean at the end of the day we need this group a lot more than they need us. As Lee we were useful to other survivors, but as Clem we contribute nothing (from their perspective) apart from being another mouth to feed. So the last thing I want to do is piss people off.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

lotus circle posted:

Mine too. I think it's platform dependent, which would stand to reason if there's three of them, although I've only seen two.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

jabby posted:

Still find it interesting how many people are playing Clem much 'tougher' than they did Lee. I agree that survival has taken a back seat to being a nice person but I think my survival is better served by trying to get into people's good books rather than blackmailing and antagonising them. I mean at the end of the day we need this group a lot more than they need us. As Lee we were useful to other survivors, but as Clem we contribute nothing (from their perspective) apart from being another mouth to feed. So the last thing I want to do is piss people off.

I think it's simply just emotional rather than strategy. Like I said, I don't really have a strategy or set characterization, I just take each choice as it comes and go with whatever feels right at the time. But I love the hell out of Clem, and so while I think she's a nice girl who's not going to go out of her way to antagonize the other characters, she stood up for herself when pushed because I want to stand up for her. Blackmailing Rebecca was 100% an emotional decision because gently caress you for being a total bitch to Clem! Was it the best survival decision? Probably not, but it I did it because that's how I felt in the moment. People don't always make the best socially strategic decisions in the heat of the moment. It just makes the game more human.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
After all the references in episode 1, I'd lay money that Clem's going to be playing poker next episode.

All to set up an appearance in Poker Night at the Inventory 3.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
So it looks like Steam never uploaded my save game data from Season 1 to the Clod and I've reformatted since then. Anyone know of a save game collection around so I can try to match up the choices I can remember from before? The prefs file is a binary file and I'm not about to play reverse engineering 2013 to get the choices back either.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
I was in the same boat as you and after looking for a while I pretty much decided to suck it up and replay season 1.

This games pretty boring when you know what's going to happen rather than make every choice on the fly but I still managed to sit through it.

swebonny
Aug 24, 2010
I extracted my Omid the Ruins background: http://i.imgur.com/y0Fnz6Q.jpg
The 3rd episode background game together when it was ripped. I think the guy to the left looks like Doug haha.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

swebonny posted:

I extracted my Omid the Ruins background

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Dec 27, 2013

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.
I did a fresh playthrough of season 1 to get a new save for season 2, and one thing that REALLY stands out to me is that the entire tone of the relationship you have with Kenny changes based on whether or not you help Kenny kill Larry. If you don't, Kenny does gently caress all to help you and is pretty much Larry 2.0, but if you help him, you're pretty much best buds right up to the end.

I remember a lot of talk about the illusion of choice, but from the end of episode 2 onward, your interactions with that character are pretty drat different(even if the outcomes are pretty much the same).

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

greatBigJerk posted:

I did a fresh playthrough of season 1 to get a new save for season 2, and one thing that REALLY stands out to me is that the entire tone of the relationship you have with Kenny changes based on whether or not you help Kenny kill Larry. If you don't, Kenny does gently caress all to help you and is pretty much Larry 2.0, but if you help him, you're pretty much best buds right up to the end.

I remember a lot of talk about the illusion of choice, but from the end of episode 2 onward, your interactions with that character are pretty drat different(even if the outcomes are pretty much the same).

I don't know, I felt like Kenny and I were buds even though I didn't want to smash that dude's head in.

That said when he was quizzing me about it at the beginning of episode three I did pretty much tell him he'd made the right call and I hadn't, so maybe that helped? v:v:v

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

I feel like the relationships between characters is one of the best parts of this game series so I will echo the hope that the bits where you just walk around and talk to people return.

On the subject of the final decision of the episode, I was surprised to see how many people helped Pete rather than Nick, I mean the guy is bitten so it felt like a bit of a no-brainer to me. Then again, a lot of people make the decision of what feels morally right rather than what's most pragmatic (usually I'm one of these people) and I guess people just liked him more? I'm interested in hearing what decisions the rest of the thread made and what your rationale for it was.

fake edit: God drat it can't wait for episode 2 :f5:

edit: Did anyone else laugh out loud when you get back in the shed with the medical supplies and (assuming you asked Alvin for help) take a sip out of the juice box before cleaning out the wound? It just made me think of those countless scenes in games and movies where a character takes a swig of some strong alcoholic drink to dull the pain for some impromptu surgery or amputation, but in this case you're a little girl grimly sipping from a juicebox; the juxtaposition was just hilarious to me. Surely that was intentional right? The imagery is so perfect, especially with the way she's positioned with her arm on the table.

BattleCake fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Dec 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

BattleCake posted:

On the subject of the final decision of the episode, I was surprised to see how many people helped Pete rather than Nick, I mean the guy is bitten so it felt like a bit of a no-brainer to me. Then again, a lot of people make the decision of what feels morally right rather than what's most pragmatic (usually I'm one of these people) and I guess people just liked him more? I'm interested in hearing what decisions the rest of the thread made and what your rationale for it was.

Honestly, in the heat of the moment, I thought that Pete needed the help more than Nick. He's (presumably) bit, out of ammo and on the verge of getting swarmed. Nick was in a bad situation but I thought he could get away on his own.

• Locked thread