Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
There'll inevitably be a better loot mod for the flesh pits, just like there's one for ancient complexes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

jokes posted:

some modders will take it and turn it into something way worse

*stares dead eyed towards lover's lab*

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Ha ha can you imagine if you could like, gently caress the flesh wall ha ha ha

I mean nobody would ever do that but can you imagine lol

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

there will be a screenshot of a room where every wall tile is pregnant

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

jokes posted:

Agreed.... for I shall take that screenshot!!!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wonder if those armored floor tiles you can see in the preview will block infestations from spawning.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Well if were getting flesh walls pregnant we better be able to get them some sort of armored chastity belt

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

jokes posted:

New thread title?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

jokes posted:

My only problem with military-focused things is that sending soldiers to do things is very dangerous and unwieldy. Unless there's a really good overhaul, I'm just straight up not going to send all my strongest dudes over to some piece of poo poo outpost so they can get an infection from fighting flesh monsters for dubious archaeotech shards when, instead, I can simply have them working in the corn mines 24/7 so I can shoot corn bombs at my enemies.

That's kind of where I stand. You need to install a loot mod to make ancient complexes even remotely worth the opportunity cost and risk of doing them, and even then it's of somewhat questionable value. I'm even less keen on sending my people to the Zerg Creep.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Yeah so far I’m not really seeing a reason to buy this DLC as someone who’s not really into the concept or combat in this game to begin with.

The update to the base game itself has some cool features so I’m not sweating it but it’s too bad. I use the previous three DLC pack’s features in all my colonies.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Kanos posted:

That's kind of where I stand. You need to install a loot mod to make ancient complexes even remotely worth the opportunity cost and risk of doing them, and even then it's of somewhat questionable value. I'm even less keen on sending my people to the Zerg Creep.

Yeah I could risk all my pawns on suicide missions into the heart of darkness or whatever, or I could just keep them in the corn mines and buy anything I want, forever.

There really won't be anything that you can get from those archaeotech things that would be worth the risk unless I have Too Many Pawns and am looking for a fun way to lose them.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

VideoWitch posted:

I hope that fleshwall texture is a WIP because it, uh, doesn't look good

There's some speculation that the flesh is supposed to be animated, which makes the static screenshots look bad.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would assume it would probably use the tree shader to create a rippling effect.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

BadLlama posted:

Well if were getting flesh walls pregnant we better be able to get them some sort of armored chastity belt

It's time for the Slab to meet their true purpose

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
If a modder makes it into Zerg creep instead of ground pork I will instantly do a turn-around on this. Like, everything about this expansion’s mechanics are very cool, but the aesthetics are a huge turn-off for the same reasons that I couldn’t stand VOID.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
You know the Alpha Biomes modders are gonna give us the Full Meat Biome and I cannot wait :kheldragar:

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
I think that someone is going to finally have everything they need to make the XCom total conversion they’ve always dreamed of.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
and Delta Green

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Thinking on this I have two related questions - can we designate the flesh for mining, and/or can we mass designate an area to hit with Breach Axes? If not, can those things be modded in? I'm kind of picturing pawns with chain shotguns overwatching miners during loot missions if these are practical. Fire reportedly does well but destroys loot, so presumably if it gets too out of control you can Molotov or Incendiary Launcher the flesh back and start anew though how fire interacts with the fast regenerating heart is going to be a necessary experiment to run. It can't be a forever firestorm even if it would be incredibly funny.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Whatever shows up, we'll be there to deliver a nice hot cup of Liber-tea :clint:

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Not a fan of the Mystery Flesh Pit, personally. Hope the other stuff is cooler.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
mystery flesh pit is pretty mid tier. not fully worthless maybe. I'd say it'd be better off as an extension of the existing insectoids rather than being an entirely new thing tbh, like if some fragment or influence of a mystery thing started causing them to mutate. If it sucks to play then that would degrade it way worse.

a fully insectified biome would be more interesting than tumorworld, too.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Maybe a whole tech tree where you can build things using Tumourous Fleshnodes instead of Components. Forsake steel, use the eternal meat.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Live forever, sinewy and red

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
let me just funnel entire raids into flesh pits

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

SugarAddict posted:

New thread title?

like hell

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

jokes posted:

Rimworld: A room where every wall tile is pregnant.

ZeeCee
Jan 6, 2023

I think that so far what I'm missing with this expansion is that it is mostly things the environment is doing to you, whereas the past expansions expanded heavily on deepening your interactions with your pawns and your settlements. Hopefully the future DD's will say more since we're still only seeing a small sliver of the expansion, but so far it mostly being another event that you deal with and get a reward for isn't really speaking to me.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I'm going to be the voice of dissent here and say that the Mystery Flesh Pit stuff looks cool and fun and is everything I wanted from a horror-themed Rimworld expansion. Also this is just the very first thing previewed so anyone going 'hard pass, maybe if it was a different aesthetic' might want to hold off since there's always a chance that could be the exact next thing they'll show off.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

jokes posted:

Yeah I could risk all my pawns on suicide missions into the heart of darkness or whatever, or I could just keep them in the corn mines and buy anything I want, forever.

There really won't be anything that you can get from those archaeotech things that would be worth the risk unless I have Too Many Pawns and am looking for a fun way to lose them.

It's the eternal issue of wanting to incentive people sending out adventure bands like in DF, while ignoring that I can send 30 guys in DF out and have 200 still run and defend the fort.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Inadequately posted:

I'm going to be the voice of dissent here and say that the Mystery Flesh Pit stuff looks cool and fun and is everything I wanted from a horror-themed Rimworld expansion. Also this is just the very first thing previewed so anyone going 'hard pass, maybe if it was a different aesthetic' might want to hold off since there's always a chance that could be the exact next thing they'll show off.
If nothing else it has really made me want to do a Neanderthal tribal start with the prehistoric mod so I can go from cavemen who are scared of their own shadows to all conquering spacers running their own SCP lab. They will also just happen to have chromed out dino buddies for good measure.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Archenteron posted:

You know the Alpha Biomes modders are gonna give us the Full Meat Biome and I cannot wait :kheldragar:

Pretty sure they already had some mods with that. Flesh forests and eyestalk trees and poo poo

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Pretty sure they already had some mods with that. Flesh forests and eyestalk trees and poo poo

Oh yeah ocular forest would work great with the horror stuff

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Kestral posted:

If a modder makes it into Zerg creep instead of ground pork I will instantly do a turn-around on this. Like, everything about this expansion’s mechanics are very cool, but the aesthetics are a huge turn-off for the same reasons that I couldn’t stand VOID.

Hmmm I agree, right now I am pretty meh on this whole thing, but turn that poo poo into Zerg and you got a deal.

Will still buy the DLC to support this wonderful game, but not sure I'll ever actually play it. Am I the problem with games these days?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Cannon_Fodder posted:

They technically have two that hit similar themes, Ocular forest with the spooky eyeballs and the mist that turns animals into weird ocular stuff and the Gelatanous Superorganism where the biome is a massive slime growing out of control so the ground and such is all 'edible' slime blocks and such.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
So far it seems like the wall lights? Extremely good. Also having lights show their lighting range is super great.

This plus shelves being worthwhile now is kicking some rear end and I feel like this base I got is hopefully not going to end up as an insane shitshow. The adventure story difficulty so far feels adventurous and not like a hell slog initial death creep, but I got a bad feeling maybe mining out a whole vein of steel right away could backfire so I'm gonna make like half into traps.

Once I get my starters settled in better I'm planning on trying to crack this ancient danger and hoping I can somehow lure the inhabitants into a death hallway. I built my whole base around this thing so fingers crossed lol. If it goes well maybe I can convince the sleepers to join without fighting them? I've done it before when it was a tremendously old woman and some dead bodies.

As usual I'm doing the global warming challenge so max temp planet. If I can't figure out a way to get both food and devilstrand (or at least really good dusters) safely there will be no way to leave the map without starting a new colony on every tile. My characters have good skills in everything except combat.

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

My favorite thing to do with ancient dangers is wait until an empire slave/gold trading group shows up on the map, then crack open that danger. It's completely random what's in there.

If things look particularly bad, run for the imperials, they'll cover you (yeah, you take an Empire rep hit if they die but I'd rather have that than massive casualties).

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Those MFs love the Corn Rain too just like the rest of the hogs

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I gave my dudes a bunch of cool Helldivers style outfits and I haven't gotten a single quest since then, what did these idiots even desert for if they're not going to send missions to fight the empire :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

WANTED: INFO on Mindless. Anything! Everything! Send to
Pillbug

Bread Enthusiast posted:

My favorite thing to do with ancient dangers is wait until an empire slave/gold trading group shows up on the map, then crack open that danger. It's completely random what's in there.

If things look particularly bad, run for the imperials, they'll cover you (yeah, you take an Empire rep hit if they die but I'd rather have that than massive casualties).

This is my first roll on Naked Brutality runs - usually the non-tribal merchants can take out whatever's in there and will almost always hit a cryosleep casket doing so. If you're lucky you can strip someone of marine armor and synthread clothes, get decent weapons and other goodies mostly for trade this early. Downed Ancients are easy recruits and if you don't have capacity to heal and feed them right now, just put them back on ice. Plus, the tomb usually works great as a starter base. If it all goes to poo poo, that was probably going to happen eventually anyway.