Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atillo
Jan 9, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

I've heard that Zzzt... event simply can't happen if you only use the hidden conduits.

I certainly haven't seen it in 1.5

I've had a Zzzt event in a hidden conduit. It drained the batteries but didn't start a fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Flesh Forge posted:

keep going back to this problem Rimworld has, there's a very interesting low tech game experience in there but the vanilla content punishes you for trying to engage it that way

I agree with this, but then again, when I get that itch it's just back to Dwarf Fortress.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Everyone who is capable of doing medicine should have 3 meds assigned right off the bat imo. Anyone incapable of violence gets assigned worker gear as part of that first 2 minute pause.

You can claim busted structures but because of how repairing them works with default importance of jobs it's more important to get everything hauled to safety before actually fixing things, usually I will toggle construction until we're stabilized & live with it looking like busted crap for a time.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I fear no man!

But this... thing:

It scares me.

Kate Lockwell
Feb 17, 2010

I'm going to throw left-handed. Is only way I can be satisfied. If I use my right... over too quickly.

BattleMaster posted:

I fear no man!

But this... thing:

It scares me.

Good news: a Diabolus and its pals are just barely chunk enough to keep it occupied for pretty much exactly one onslaught's worth of time!

e: Tried to do the above strategy with a War Queen as well and it just gets a bit too distracted by the urchins to finish the job, thankfully some other bozos showed up on my map just in time to lend a hand

Kate Lockwell fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 23, 2024

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Kris xK posted:

Yeah I really want to do a medieval run but Rimworld is so designed around electricity and advanced tech that I gave up and just did a warhammer 40k run which is basically the same thing thematically but with power armor.

just gonna take my own advice and start with Bloodfeeder/free electricity research I guess :negative:

Yuiiut
Jul 3, 2022

I've got something to tell you. Something that may shock and discredit you. And that thing is as follows: I'm not wearing a tie at all.

Kate Lockwell posted:

Good news: a Diabolus and its pals are just barely chunk enough to keep it occupied for pretty much exactly one onslaught's worth of time!

I threw one at decent sized mech cluster and they fought each other to a standstill. I used the jannissaries on loan from the empire to finish off the painball - turns out they drop a sizeable amount of loot when killed, but not enough considering how tanky they are.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Revenants are fuckers.
Not even a whole firing squads stops them.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Revenants get hosed hard by EMP. Have a pawn with EMP grenades blanket the area where it could hide. The revenant won't really fight back, but it has an assload of HP.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Antigravitas posted:

Revenants get hosed hard by EMP. Have a pawn with EMP grenades blanket the area where it could hide. The revenant won't really fight back, but it has an assload of HP.

I had a guy with an EMP launcher but it fires way too slowly and I'm too low on components to splooge on more of those.

I eventually dealt with the revenant after having to find it with a squad of guys like a dozen times. It looked like it took roughly a 100 shots to put it down.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Kris xK posted:

Yeah I really want to do a medieval run but Rimworld is so designed around electricity and advanced tech that I gave up and just did a warhammer 40k run which is basically the same thing thematically but with power armor.

there were enough mods to do a medieval run even before 1.5

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

Revenants are fuckers.
Not even a whole firing squads stops them.

Can you figure out where they are when they're sleeping then build a box around them?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Tankbuster posted:

there were enough mods to do a medieval run even before 1.5

it's not that there aren't content-ful options to play a very interesting low-tech game, it's that the vanilla content will still send centipedes and other top tier bullshit at you that the Correct Response for is "use high tech item X" as seen just one post up from yours
e: you can cope with the hard poo poo once you work up several advanced psycasters, which is great, the problem is you will be getting the top tier bullshit long before you can reasonably do this (it takes many ingame years to build up)

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Apr 23, 2024

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

Can you figure out where they are when they're sleeping then build a box around them?

At the point you can really do that you've got 3 coma pawns. If they're guests/expendable that you can let die though, that could be an option .

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

fairly sure they will just cheat and skip out of that kind of enclosure anyway like the unnatural corpse does
e: when I got the revenant I managed to just beat the poo poo out of it with my melee pawns fairly quickly but it was only possible because I had two shots of flamethrower from a single hellcat rifle to uncover it, otherwise it would have been much much harder.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Apr 23, 2024

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

FurtherReading posted:

At the point you can really do that you've got 3 coma pawns. If they're guests/expendable that you can let die though, that could be an option .

I'm thinking of preventing them from fleeing. Either box some pawns in with it to give it a blanket party, or leave it with a gift of fire.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

I'm thinking of preventing them from fleeing. Either box some pawns in with it to give it a blanket party, or leave it with a gift of fire.

Oh, yeah that should be doable. It can't attack unless it's hunting so throwing up a wall before you wake it up is a great option.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They panic when you set them on fire so an incinerator makes them quite easy if still time consuming

An incinerator imo is a top tier tool to try and get your hands on, you can buy them from combat suppliers fairly cheaply and they are probably the best way to do fire damage. Although a flamebow should also work if you have a good shooter.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Apr 23, 2024

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Uhh...is there really no option that would make idle pawns read books to learn new skills? That seems like a massive oversight.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can set them to only read textbooks when they read, and what skills to prioritise but no you can't make them read all the time that would be kinda broken.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Books take you places!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is there anything else hidden that boosts the containment numbers besides a good door, good walls, bioferrite flooring and it not being dark?

OwlFancier posted:

You can set them to only read textbooks when they read, and what skills to prioritise but no you can't make them read all the time that would be kinda broken.

I mean...I CAN still do that, manually, it's just much more annoying.

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

WANTED: INFO on Mindless. Anything! Everything! Send to
Pillbug
Maybe set their schedule to full-time recreation and zone them away from other rec options, including going outside

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Jack Trades posted:

Is there anything else hidden that boosts the containment numbers besides a good door, good walls, bioferrite flooring and it not being dark?

for some entities having it be really cold boosts their containment too

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Jack Trades posted:

The security door boosts containment by like 150, in case you haven't tried that yet.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

The security door boosts containment by like 150, in case you haven't tried that yet.

Yeah, I rushed that research because of it. It's really nice.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

There's electric and shard-based Inhibitors, right?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Does anyone know if the "extremely creepy stranger offers to join your colony" random event is completely random about the stranger in question being a future liability, or is it a set thing?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

it has many variations, many outcomes

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

One of my colonists touched a creepy thing and now he's got a slimy tentacle instead of his right arm.
He's got -6 mood penalty because of that but his wife doesn't seem to mind.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Tentacle arms reduce the pawn's beauty by 1 so she might mind if she isn't Kind or Ascetic or similar.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

People were wondering what the purpose of the Inhuman ideology meme was, it's for that stuff.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Does the Occultist trait have any hidden downsides?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Flesh Forge posted:

just gonna take my own advice and start with Bloodfeeder/free electricity research I guess :negative:

It is cool and good that worshiping vampires gives you an innate understanding of how windmills work.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Normalize using plate armour imo

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

OwlFancier posted:

They panic when you set them on fire so an incinerator makes them quite easy if still time consuming

They changed this in the last patch, now revenants aren't flammable.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Are lung transplants the only way to cure asthma?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Elendil004 posted:

Are lung transplants the only way to cure asthma?

The biosculptor pod from Ideology can do it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I expect the Chronophagy ritual can do it too, and very likely the obelisk that can give you mutated organs/limbs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sokani posted:

They changed this in the last patch, now revenants aren't flammable.

what the gently caress