Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Flesh Forge posted:

Dammit game :argh:

Rad as hell if I weren't in a not-quite-subsistent ice sheet colony :argh:

That's a free pile of money and a really nice parka for someone to wear, as well as a few days of meals!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

A MAN! From the MANOSPHERE! Drive it out!!

But it says Lion is female!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

It has some actual walls and a floor!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Hey, Flesh Forge, how do you build walls on your bridges? It shows up as invalid terrain for me and I sure as gently caress would like the ability to build boardwalk housing complexes because there is not a lot of usable terrain in my lovely swamp.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Lt. Lizard posted:

Psychopathic cannibals are like the most power-gamey characters you can create though. "Oh no!, I don't have to care about 90% of things that make colonist mood management difficult. How zany!"

What I'm saying is that the true way to make Rimworld cannibal colony is to take bunch of ordinary colonists, make them eat human corpses and then force-feed them enough heroin so they don't care. :colbert:

I actually hate psychopaths because their complete lack of ability to gain relationships means that they tend to end up hating everyone and becoming huge liabilities.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I used to play with the seeds mod a couple versions ago and it mades the food game a nightmarish mess of micromangement and turns cold snaps and crop blights from "gently caress, that sucks, looks like long pig is back on the menu this winter" to "I want to quit because I spent two years getting a decent supply of seeds for this crop and now they're all loving dead and I don't have anymore".

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

High tech colonies are really fun if you refuse to build traditional kill corridors and install mods that introduce more dangerous raids(Rimsenal and the mechanoid expansion mods are good for this).

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

The problem with high tech though is that eventually you build the unassailable wall of assault rifles (or whatever alternative you settle on) and you become essentially the human killbox.

Without a killbox setup, even like 15 colonists with assault rifles and power armor run a serious risk of being overrun/destroyed/mangled beyond repair by a juiced up mechanoid raid or a tribal human wave.

Honestly, playing my current medieval colony(inspired in large part by your amazonian tribe), I'm finding trap corridors to be even more destabilizingly unfair than the traditional turret box. Traps cost nothing at all and will kill or mangle dozens of dudes with a sufficient corridor once you start building the traps out of materials better than wood/bone.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

Yeah metal traps are way too good, even granite is very good, but bone or wood aren't so broken (unless you build a really tremendous amount). Consider a no-ores start too, it really is pretty satisfying when you eventually get your poo poo together in spite of that :black101:

Also let's see some pictures of your low medieval colony :)

It's only a year and a half in or so. I just barely finished basic electricity research a season ago and so far my sole electric plant is being used to fuel a mending bench and nothing else. My colonists are all kitted out in plate, with the melee dudes rocking halberds and the ranged dudes rocking a random collection of precious scavenged firearms that my dumb tribals don't know how to reproduce.

General overview.

My rudimentary trap corridor, still rocking bone and wood traps. I need to get cracking on trap upgrades; the gun-toting raids that have started coming as I've stabilized and begun to generate wealth are overflowing the chute in increasing numbers, and while my halberdiers have been able to handle it so far I'd rather not risk any permanent injuries that I have no way to treat if some dude with a Doomsday rocket happens to slip the net. The huge pile of clothing is because this is shortly after a raid came through. You can also see the mushroom shack that has been roughly half of my food output for the last year(I went from winter to a volcanic winter that lasted until the current winter).

My rudimentary prison block. I need to expand it because the tiny rooms are pissing the prisoners off something fierce and anyone I capture tends to be someone I want to convince(less useful captures are either executed where they lay or patched up and shipped off).

My basic bedrooms, my lovely dining room/rec room, my workshops, and a little bit of my kitchen section.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Medieval Times has rapidly become my favorite mod, not just for the low tech quality of life things but because having functional, good armor before loving power armor means that you can actually fight somewhat fairly in dangerous situations without being terrified that some dickhead with a wooden stick is going to rip your arm off in two hits. Being able to break open mechanoid ship parts with a squadron of knights armed with halberds and having them fight the scythers and centipedes to a standstill in heroic combat is :black101: as hell.

It even balances out to a large degree because random raiders tend to be packing full equipment kits too.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Dec 18, 2017

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Ruggan posted:

Kanos, are you running some glass ceiling mod? Otherwise I’m not sure how you’re getting appropriate lighting for your crops.

The fungus want darkness, and for the other stuff I think....vegetable garden? has skylights.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Ruggan posted:

Yeah, I was eyeing the devilstrand in particular

The devilstrand was actually a macguyver project brought on by desperation; a random cold snap nearly wiped out the entire plot at like 50% growth, so I panicked and threw up a wall around it with some hearths to keep it warm enough. I managed to save the crop and went "huh, wait, what if I punched some holes in the roof to let some light in?" which actually worked for a bit, moving over to skylights once I researched them to reduce heat bleed.

It's pretty dreadfully fuel inefficient(one of my guys spends every single day mining coal to fuel all the hearths and braziers in my colony), but it's worked out pretty well given my technology level and the extended winter I've had to deal with.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Amperor posted:

I've got a question about Research and how tech levels work.

If you're researching things that are above your "tech level", they cost significantly more, but does your tech level ever go up? Or will my Tribals always have like x300% research cost for "spacer" level tech researches?

You will always be neolithic, even when you've researched the entire tech tree.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

In my experience, the best way to deal with ship parts is melee. Since you 100% control when the guys pop out, deploy your melee guys in a loose ring around it before someone trips it, then immediately engage all the resulting mechanoids in melee with at least one guy each. Focus the scythers down first(they're more dangerous in melee due to blades) and then the centipedes. Centipedes are huge pussycats in melee because they only do blunt damage and not an enormous shitload of it so even if they gently caress someone up they're unlikely to permanently injure them/bleed them out.

This is a lot safer than building rudimentary cover and hoping that no one gets their lung shot out by a charge cannon or frantically trying to spread for an inferno cannon.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Gadzuko posted:

Walls aren't rudimentary cover, they're the best cover in the game and you want to build them already spread out to prep for inferno cannons. An automatic weapon crossfire is a lot safer than mixing a bunch of guys up in melee with scythers in my experience, scythers are terrible shots and it's extremely rare that they manage to hit anyone if you have decent shooting skill. If all you have are melee pawns then your suggestion is the way to go, but I still think shooters are safer.

Anyone's a melee pawn! The purpose of the melee is to ensure that the mechanoids can never fire their incredibly dangerous ranged weapons. Hiding behind a wall will block most incoming fire, but mech ranged weapons are super dangerous(and an inferno cannon is going to splash around the wall and burn the poo poo out of the person behind it, often leading to ugly things like burn scars on eyes and such). You don't need heavy duty melee pawns to tie them up; you just throw some people into melee with the mechs to make sure they can't shoot, then use whatever else you have(more melee pawns, gunners, whatever) to focus fire them down while they're slap fighting your frontline. No fuss, no muss. My current colony beat 2 ship parts while wearing tribalwear and using clubs/recurve bows without any permanent injuries like this.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Speaking of guns, when did some of the new ones like the revolver, LMG, and Autoshotgun get added? Are Assault/Charge Rifles still the overall kings of guns?

LMGs and chain shotties have been there forever and aren't very good; LMGs are horribly inaccurate and fire slower than assault rifles(albeit with more shots per burst) and the shotguns have terrible range. Revolvers are new to B18 and are actually very good for early game, certainly a lot less lovely than normal pistols, though they are obviously not ideal primary weapons in the long term. Assault rifles are the general go-to weapon for most of your vanilla shooting needs, though sniper rifles and charge rifles are also excellent for your folks with really good shooting because of their sheer punch.

Other notable vanilla guns are heavy SMGs(actually insane DPS, though they have terrible range so you'd need a relatively tight killbox and they are useless in open field combat) and miniguns(give them to trigger happy colonists and it literally doesn't matter what their shooting skill is because you're going to kill everything around the target). Most of the rest I've never found a reason to even look at.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Dec 20, 2017

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Asproigerosis posted:

I guess there is no way to just wall off an approach in order to force baddies toward your sweet sandbag setup? Thought I was gonna be a big ol smug motherfucker until they just blowtorched through the granite wall.

The enemies will mostly take the path of least resistance(leave your trap corridor/killbox entrance completely open, no doors) wherever possible, except if they can't physically reach the path of least resistance, they have foreknowledge that the path of least resistance is a trap(same faction sending raids down a trap corridor multiple times), or they are sappers.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

There's too many things that make a pawn nearly unusable for me to not ever reroll. It's one thing to deal with a depressive slowpoke who sucks at everything and refuses to clean, it's another thing to deal with a pyromaniac who refuses to do anything.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I've always generated 100% worlds(well, since world generation was a thing), but I think I'm going to back off on it for that reason. I'm concerned that having a lot of faction bases causes stuff involving the world map to make the game run like poo poo sometimes, and it doesn't seem to increase the amount of people coming to your colony noticeably(which is the part I care about).

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I've played an absolute shitload since the world map was added but I still never actually interact with the map layer on any level. I just feel awful sending off valuable colonists on extremely dangerous and expensive-to-run(in terms of food and supplies) caravan missions, nevermind silly stuff like "attack this base with 500 bandits in it" quests.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Demon_Corsair posted:

Animals ruin my poo poo, so I'm too afraid to gently caress with any migrating herds. If I don't gently caress with capybaras, no way am I gonna piss off dinosaurs

Hunting dino migrations is extremely ludicrously dangerous. I had a kill hallway with half a dozen modded turrets and 8 or so colonists with charge rifles and 3 melee dudes for backup and decided to hunt a minmi migration. They overran my hallway defenses almost effortlessly and put half of my colonists in the hospital; I only managed to survive due to the plasteel melee weapon guys going all Highlander.

I did end up with about 8000 meat.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Using melee effectively without shield belts requires you to dictate the terms of engagement. You can do this with funnel hallways; making an approach hallway to your base that turns a corner into a spot where a crowd of your melee guys are waiting was my go-to defensive setup for a medieval colony. You can also do it with engagements where you determine how and when it starts, such as ship parts(simply loosely surround your melee troops around the ship part and then have a melee guy pick up each mechanoid when they spawn). You can also use melee guys as a second line behind your main ranged group to pick up any enemy melee who manage to close the gap to buy your ranged guys time to back off.

You will never be able to use melee in open field combat where they need to run in to approach against gun-armed opponents without shield belt technology, though. Even a power armored guy needing to run across a field into a bunch of guns runs the risk of a lucky shot causing a debilitating injury that will slow him down or down him.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Slime posted:

The main issue is that even used sparingly, there's always the risk your colonist will get addicted. Drink a beer once a year? Addiction. Smoked than one time? Addiction. And the long term negative effects even apart from addiction are way overdone. A beer a day is unlikely to do you any real harm in real life, but in Rimworld you're going to become an alcoholic with liver damage.

In a shockingly short amount of time, too.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The thing to realize about Medieval Times is that the armor pieces work on a pretty basic tier system and the only differences between the 55 options in a given tier is looks. It's nice because it means you can have everyone wearing high quality gear without every single person looking like they've been stamped out of a uniform factory.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Vasudus posted:

It amuses me to no end that virtually the entire playerbase and community has gone in one direction and the developer refuses to acknowledge that the game is played that way. Rimworld is gonna hit 1.0 and there's going to be no deviation from 'get off the planet'. At least as far as official acknowledgement goes.

I think Tynan is fully aware at this point. There's no reason to add a lot of the stuff that's been added, like caravans and additional bases, if the goal is simply to rush to the ship and scoot.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

see, this would be cool and good if they didn't hit like loving freight trains

i don't think i like this call of cthulhu monsters mod very much

You have to be very active about culling cthulhu monsters on the map because absolutely none of them are safe to have around for any length of time. You can't just let them hang around unless there's absolutely no other choice because they will eventually run out of things to eat that aren't your pets or your colonists.

A couple of Dark Young showing up means it's time to prep a kill team like a ship fragment landed, basically. Treat them like mechanoids instead of passive wildlife and it helps contextualize them a little better.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I'm dying because I've been getting the urge to binge play again but I don't want to go through the torturous process of purging my modlist and trying to find new mods that work in the beta.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I'd say a penalty for removing functional parts to replace them with cybernetics makes sense, while a penalty for replacing severely damaged or nonfunctional parts with cybernetics doesn't.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Correction: There's a huge contingent of Americans who say torture is cool and good from the comfort of their beer-sipping couches. The people who actually torture suspected terrorists, or are direct witnesses/accessories to it, are psychopaths.

Yeah, this. There's a galaxy of difference between your average idiot accepting "The authorities are having nebulous 'bad guys' tortured in some far off black site that none of us will ever see" and "The colony doctor who I see every day is carving up prisoners like Christmas ham in the shack behind our apartment complex and I'm entirely aware of this".

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Haven't checked in in a while, but I saw that B18 was released. Is this a stabilized version which means it's worth tediously reassembling my mod library to play again? I was turned off playing unstable because of it constantly breaking mods.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Coming back to Rimworld and installing 200 mods after a long break is the best. Trying desperately to get off the ground in the first year while beating off attacks from two aggressive beastman tribes that have magic out the wazoo while I man the barricades with a mixture of beat up Mad Max guns from Rimsenal and some halberds and warhammers from Medieval Times is the greatest.

I like to imagine my guys as post-apocalyptic techno-barbarians.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Oof, early game defense is a lot harder in B19 now that trap corridors aren't sustainable defensive measures. Mini-turrets feel extremely useless because they blow up under goddamn shortbow fire and chew through a ton of steel and components, but I'm having real problems keeping afloat once I've been around for a year or so and the enemy raid sizes are above 10. Ideas?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

wit posted:

Dub's Bad Hygiene: Adds yet another thing to fiddle with: plumbing, waste disposal, hygiene, water heating.

I tried this as part of my mega mod pack I made for B19 and I didn't find it very compelling. It's trivially easy to reach basic sustainability with and you never really need to interact with it again, so all it basically does is act as a small build time/resource tax for the initial setup and then it wastes some of your pawns' time periodically when they need to shower or poop, which they do automatically.

Coolguye posted:

it absolutely does not affect only one field

It seems to have a "jump" distance, so if your fields are all in a neat grid pattern in close proximity it will hit all of them but if you have fields separated by a distance it won't. I've never had blight affect two fields that are separated.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Falcorum posted:

It does definitely affect separated fields unless there are walls between them.

It depends on what you define as separated. Fields that are like 3-5 tiles separated will still get blighted together, but I frequently have fields in different sections of my base(to take advantage of rich soil, or because I decided to start up another farming op in an expanded section) and I've never had blight jump across big open spaces.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Wait until you get 100+ bug infestations.

I think it's dumb that while Tynan doesn't like cheese strategies, he turns the difficulty up so high in an effort to drive you off the world that you're forced into using them.

Yeah, it's probably one of my enduring great complaints about Rimworld. Even relatively early on(year 2-3) on rough you're basically forced to killbox and funnel because your hopelessly outnumbered colonists simply don't have the kill power to fight the insane power of enemy raids in a fair fight. As Der Khye says, you eventually plateau in power when you can't really tech up anymore, so the only way to increase your fighting power is to luck into more colonists or to construct even more elaborate cheesy death traps.

I feel like a set of autocannon turrets should be a powerful and dangerous defensive tool instead of a nuisance that will maybe pop a dozen of the 100 man tribal human wave before they overrun your walls if you're trying to fight "fair" instead of death mazing. I'd love to do big setpiece battles with lines of troops behind sandbags and in trenches opening up on an attack but it's just suicidal.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I've been experimenting with Giddy-Up as well, but I find it almost useless for combat because you can't really armor animals very well so they'll simply get shot out from under you on the approach(and they don't add a lot of speed unless you've got a good animals level, either). I guess they're good for taking a couple ablative shots on the approach if you're willing to sacrifice your animals en masse.

(It's still an amazingly sweet mod for caravanning and general base utility though)

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Der Kyhe posted:

They are seriously nerfed by the B19 change requiring you to rebuild them after each use. The cost might become negligible, but you have to dedicate 1-2 deep drills to pump out suitable rocks (also a change in the B19).

They also are somewhat underwhelming and do not reliably disable animals nor humans, and basically do nothing against the mechanoids or scrabs.

You don't want to build traps out of stone anymore. Your optimal trap choices are either ridiculously long corridors full of wood traps or a lesser number of steel traps.

When they reworked how traps work to not be resettable, they hosed with the damage values enormously. Stone traps used to be the most efficient damage, but now they're barely better than wooden ones(45 damage for wood vs 50-65 depending on hardness of stone) and they take a loving eternity to build; it takes nearly ten times as much work to build a single granite trap as a single wood trap(323 work for the granite vs 38 for the wood) in exchange for +20 damage, which adds up to an insane amount of pawn hours to reset your traps after a big raid. The real money traps are now steel traps, which are relatively fast to build(54 work) while doing a whopping 100 damage. They will reliably and horribly maim anything that happens to touch them except ridiculously armored targets like power armored raiders or centipedes. A steel trap can nearly take a leg off an elephant or a rhino in one go and will instantly obliterate whatever part of an unarmored human happens to touch it. Oddly, plasteel traps only do 110 damage despite the increased rarity of plasteel and the one-shot nature of traps.

Replacing steel traps all the time can be very spendy, but a steel trap corridor is extremely lethal. I'm not sure if it's indefinitely sustainable on a large scale, though. Maybe if you're mining out additional tiles or you're operating caravan trade routes constantly.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Sep 18, 2018

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I've found that the only "safe" way to deal with centipedes now that the armor changes have made them into invincible walls of death is to bait their gunfire and then melee rush them while their weapons are cycling, since their melee damage is still mediocre.

Of course, to do that you need to deal with the scythers and lancers first, which is a gigantic pain. Lancers are possibly my least favorite enemy in the game because letting them get even one or two shots off is gambling with your colonists' lives, since a single shot from their gun can remove limbs or spine or kill you instantly if it hits head/heart even if you're wearing devilstrand dusters + armor vests.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Yeah a centipede punching someone once or twice means you run that person out of melee with the centipede and let their friends pick up the slack, whereas a centipede shooting someone with a heavy charge blaster means that they're probably dead outright or permanently maimed.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Lockback posted:

I don't disagree that it's not realistic, but there's tons of stuff in this game that isn't realistic. Gameplay balance, the "I won't do stuff" is really important, as it means you have cross dependencies from your pawns and you need to put more effort to have redundancy.

The other side of this is that all the "bad" traits and adamant refusal under any circumstances to do basic jobs like "maybe haul a sack of corn so you can not die of malnutrition" every once in a while encourages a really picky metagame when it comes to accepting recruits, because a garbage pawn can be more harmful to a colony's welfare than not having a pawn at all. Mods that introduce stuff like "okay a pawn can do stuff he doesn't want to do but he's going to be really loving angry about it for a while" or "maybe at some point we can treat your mental problems so you don't try to burn down our storage shed every two days" encourage me to struggle through the drama of having lovely pawns early on instead of just shooting them to death or banishing them or feeding them to the wargs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

wit posted:

I wish other pawns could resent and conspire against the airy fairy artist that won't do poo poo but swan around. I always root for the working pawn in fist fights. Pyro's need fired into the loving sun though, why do so many spacefarers want to burn everything? Lookback made a good point about the incapables though, it not only adds to the story but adds to the colony management part of the game. I think its Pawns are Capable mod that replaces inability with big mood debuffs but that's as game breaky as the androids mod if you're then able to offset a pissy workforce with mansion like accommodation. Frankly it also makes it easier to pick pawns for different roles, if you'd a colony where everyone can and will do everything until they're all level 20s in everything that just replaces the fun devil's choices with grind. If anything, I think the vanilla would benefit from having more hard caps on certain types of pawns or anti grind mechanics (although storytellers do well in adding them accidentally).

The mood debuffs from Pawns Are Capable are intensely debilitating and get exponentially worse the longer the pawn is assigned to that job, far beyond what feeding them a lavish meal or giving them a statue in their bedroom can deal with. It's explicitly only useful for spur of the moment emergencies, like Jimmy loving hates medicine but everyone else is bleeding out so Jimmy can put a lovely tourniquet on instead of watching everyone die and then starving to death because Jimmy would also rather starve to death than pick an ear of corn.

Also by the time you can afford to give people palatial mansions to boost their mood you're past the point of the game where a pawn who won't haul really matters because you're established.