Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Ashsaber posted:

I was wrong. She's going at 17.6 c/s right now, and there's at least two augments left that boost speed, and due to a mod, two researches that will give a total of +50% speed left. That the armor she has is blue and spiky is just a hilarious coincidence.

What mod are you using that gives you researchable general boosts? I kind of want to try something like that, for games where I kind of hit endgame and don't have much else to really research.

e: I presume it's SS Researchable Stat Upgrades?

death cob for cutie fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Coolguye posted:

are they the right type of shell? it is a relatively recent change that you need EMP shells for EMP mortars, high-ex shells for normal mortars, etc.

I thought that got changed, now you build one mortar and choose at the mortal which shells it will load?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Coolguye posted:

i might be getting it confused? i'll be honest, i rarely use mortars so i lose track of their particulars sometimes.

https://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Mortar says that they got their current behavior in B18, so if you don't use mortars frequently it's only been like this for one version now

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Ashsaber posted:

Also, droids are kinda neat in that they're relatively cheap, just taking a bunch of steel and components, but their skills range from 4-8, they logically can't do social, intellectual or art, and their skills never improve. They can be a decent grunt force for mining or plant work early, but later you would want to only use them for hauling or cleaning, since the quality of anything they do would be sure to suffer.

Droids actually do increase in skill, they just don't have any passion for anything. Sometimes I get a droid and give it a medical training serum to have a 24/7 doctor, to handle things like giving patients flu meds and poo poo.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Better Infestations is better until six hives have spawned in a cave rear end-deep in untouched territory and you don't realize until it's hit critical mass.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

It's pretty easy - Rimworld modding is pretty robust in that it's hard to break the game or make anything weird happen. All you gotta do is subscribe to the mod in Steam, then once it downloads, run Rimworld and activate it from the Mods menu. Mods are loaded top to bottom based on the list in the Mods menu, so you just need to make sure critical mods (stuff like HugsLib and etc.) get loaded first. If you have Mod B that depends on Mod A, make sure Mod A is closer to the top of the list than Mod B.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Danaru posted:

I usually play in arctic areas but I have so many mods that raiders have no problem finding a clothing choice to keep them warm enough to survive. I'm honestly worried that there might be a clothing/material combo that can make absolute zero comfortable, which will make me a little annoyed

I've been wondering about this - I've played a few very hot biome (like, temperatures of 140) games recently where I get jack poo poo for raiders or caravans - I've noticed this is much less of a problem in cold areas, presumably because insulating clothing is cheap. Why don't I ever eventually see raids with power-armored dudes, then? Basic power armor is good for heat and I have some modded options that are even better at cooling. Am I just not playing long enough to get raids that scale up enough to spend the points on power armor?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Tiny Bug Child posted:

I just added a bunch of mods and started a new colony, and now my game crashes about every 30 minutes. Is there a better way to find the problem other than disabling each mod individually and running the game for a while?

I'm pretty sure you can activate some kind of debug logging that should at least point you in a direction, assuming it's one of the mods directly causing an issue and not something putting the core game in a freaked-out state.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Donkringel posted:

Also as a side note I love the Android mod. The Android printer require 20 nutrition (20 meals), 20 components and a lot of plasteel. Whenever I need a new Android I Huck a raider corpse or three in there and then it gets to printing. Still waiting for the Androids to collapse screaming about ghosts, past lives or voices not their own talking to them. So far so good!

The Androids are really nice but I kind of hate how the printer lets you basically customize a tailor-made super-ideal colonist. I switch between using that and the other Droids mod, with the five tiers of androids, which is kind of underpowered for what it is - you use a bunch of plasteel and even an AI core and get a colonist with no skill higher than 4 and a passion for Growing :/

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

NatasDog posted:

I decided to play another run on b18 after putting it down somewhere around b15 because 1.0 is around the corner, and gently caress me now I remember why I stopped playing. Where have the last 4 days gone?

Is Centralized Climate Control pretty much the only central heating/cool mod to speak of now? I seem to remember there being a better one.

Dubs Bad Hygiene has heating/AC now, but it's tied in with toilets and etc.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Do the new turrets have similar maintenance needs to the tier 1 turrets? How bad are they? Is it worth trying to mod out?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Carbon jumpsuits are in Rimsenal, right? Where do you make them? I don't have the option to do so at my smithing, machining or tailoring tables...

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Epsilon Plus posted:

Carbon jumpsuits are in Rimsenal, right? Where do you make them? I don't have the option to do so at my smithing, machining or tailoring tables...

It got moved to the fabrication bench, of all places. Makes sense, I guess?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

Rainbeau's Fertile Fields mod adds an item called Rotted Mush, left over when food of various sorts rots, so you can do something with it (make compost/make fertilizer) rather than just have it go poof. The thing is, animals find it super delicious:

:shrug:

it has very low nutritional value and it always causes food poisoning when eaten :shrug:

Rotted Mush does an interesting thing when it completely rots (i.e. its durability goes to 0).

It becomes another Rotted Much.

Great.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Vasudus posted:

Is there any way to make food items lootable if they're in a prisoners area?

I had the grand idea to install those egg-laying implants from Genetic Rim in my prisoners. Now they lay two chicken eggs a day! Huzzah! Except...I can't loot them normally because they're in a prisoner marked area. So far my solution has been to just untag it and shuffle the prisoners around but it's a pain in the rear end and making me regret this whole line of thought. I could always recruit them and restrict them to some sort of mutants only compound, but that defeats the purpose.

This is the first thing in the thread to really ever give me concern. Wild.

deathbagel posted:

Thank you for this. My friend was complaining that the only thing he needed to fulfill his realism need was a pooping mod. We searched the Steam Workshop for poop mods, but couldn't find one. Thanks to your thread, he now has a pooping mod (hygene is a silly name, they should rename it to pooping mod.)

Dubs' Bad Hygiene is one of my favorite mods, it makes the game feel far more real and adds a lot of good stuff beyond just "pawns poo poo now" - heating and cooling, water management and crop irrigation, even litter boxes.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Has anyone been having issues with Hospitality guests lately? Two guests with inventories full of pemmican are just milling around my kitchen/entrance. They're not eating and not sleeping until exhausted and immediately getting up after a few hours (and not using the beds I have set for them). They don't seem to be interacting with doors unless I hold them open, but even with doors held open they're not using my beds, using a table to eat, leaving, etc.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

what the gently caress did I ever do to you, randy

e: these all happened within a day

death cob for cutie fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Nov 18, 2018

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

HelloSailorSign posted:

Usually traders hang around too long if one of their party becomes downed or incapacitated, or sometimes if enough are sleeping. Otherwise, could be a new mod that’s borking something.

There’s a dismiss trader mod that adds the ability to tell them to GTFO. Dev mode has a, “friendly pawn force flee” or something.

I've been having the same problem lately. There's also an issue with Hospitality guests and occasionally I'll have two pawns who get stuck "hanging out" with each other who won't work or handle any of their needs until they fall unconscious.

Originally I did some research and thought it was Android Tiers causing it. I'm pretty sure it's Hospitality or Psychology at this point, though after removing Android Tiers the problem became less frequent?

e: Dismiss Traders doesn't work, either. The pawn I tell to dismiss them runs up to the trader and then immediately fucks off. And now that I think of it, I had one raid that had a similar problem - they were waiting to attack, then they all starved to death.

death cob for cutie fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 19, 2018

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

HelloSailorSign posted:

Do you use the expanded doors mod? That one I think caused some interesting issues with muffalo trying to return to the barn for me, as well as made guests do funny poo poo when I restricted their movement areas.

The one that adds 1x2, 1x3, and curtains? Or the one that adds blast doors? Or are those the same? I use both, so... Guests have been having difficulty with doors, maybe, but not colonists. Can you post a modlist and a debug log from your game for me? I'm trying to track this down, it's a real pain in the rear end - my current colony was going fine until people started flipping out. I've also had parties start to go on way too long. I suspect it's Psychology affecting how the game makes pawn AI work when two pawns interact socially.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Speaking of infestations, I've had two games now where hives that hit 0hp don't disappear and still spawn bugs. Had to devmode them out. Bizarro.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Stick him on research duty. 3 isn't great but Too Smart should get that ticking up.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Vengarr posted:

Its extremely funny when they go after artillery shells.

a tantruming guest once decided to vent his spleen on an antigrain shell stored in my mortar magazine

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

metasynthetic posted:

Is there any trick to finding a good mountain base location? One with more than 1/3 of the map or so as a mountain. I've never done a mountain bunker base and want to try one, and I'm trying to pick starting hexes that are mountainous and completely surrounded by other mountainous / impassable terrain tiles but i keep getting the one sided wall type maps.

There's a mod that I can't quite think of the name of that lets you customize generated terrain - I have mine tweaked so mountainous tiles are ever so slightly more mountainous, leading to more.dense concentrations of stone. You can also tweak things like what percentage of the map is ocean on coastal tiles, ore density, etc.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

I keep switching between Androids and Android Tiers and I can never decide which I prefer. I like the droids from Androids and ho both droids/androids can live forever without food, which can be useful. being able to crap out semi-disposable droids to smelt slag/smooth floors/carry SMGs to repel tribals is nice, and being able to customize a brand new colonist is nice too; it's also super easy to get an android with like 15 shooting and melee and 12 in construction or medical, good traits, etc. which can be a Bit Much

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

Top tip: produce AP ammo as soon as you can, and don't try fighting centipedes with anything less than a PTRS because nothing else will even scratch the bastards, they're literal robot tanks. You can, however, shoot their eyes out with enough volume of small arms fire so if you're desperate that's an option I guess.

my first game with CE I ended up with a centipede whose optics and other non-vital bits were either blown out with 40mm grenade shrapnel or FMJ from a squad of heavy SMG-carrying droids. it limped around my front entrance until I crafter finally got out of the hospital, made more grenades and reloaded/manned the AGS turret, blowing it to poo poo with two more bursts

also, a fully automatic grenade launcher is a good idea for base defense until enemies get too close

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

If you send the T5 android to its own little colony without humans (or lesser androids, I think it hates those too), will it still flip out from time to time?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

The mod that provides crash landings will drop ship sections anywhere and anywhere, including on top of your hospital/barracks/mortar shell magazine

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

Add in Save Our Ship 2 and you can build a giant space station which lets you bombard the planet with rimatomics railguns too.

speaking of, I'm working on getting my own ship/orbital railgun platform online. I assume the railgun and TACS need to be attached to the ship hardpoints, do the ship engines need to be on a hardpoint as well? Does a hull piece have to be on a hardpoint to connect it to a ship, or can they just be adjacent?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

fun fact if you have the Quarry mod: the placement mode for it generally is good about showing you big hollows in mountains

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

The anti-mech rifle is the one that takes those dumbshit X-5 cartridges, right? Isn't the penetration on that thing absolutely horrible, even with AP or sabot rounds?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

E: Hahah androids ++ now lets you paint androids different colours, and they'll rust if you don't :v:

humans are rusting in my game, too lmao

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

CE question: what's the best (cheapish) weapon to give my non-combat colonists for emergency events where I don't/can't get turret coverage? (drop pod raids, infestations, etc.) Infestations are the big one; most of my indoor walls are actually CE embrasures, so if bugs appear inside one of my storage areas/workshop rooms/etc. I can just draft all my colonists and have them blow the bugs away with massed firepower. I've been giving them heavy SMGs with AP ammo but megaspiders and their armor are proving to be somewhat resistant to them when spawning en masse. I know the .500 handcannon will blow limbs clean off of pawns fairly easily, but I haven't actually looked at its values. Pump shotguns with slugs, maybe? 5.56 carbines?

I'm using CE and the non-Federation Rimsenal mods, but most of the Rimsenal stuff is a bit spendy to build if I'm outfitting Everyone.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

It also depends how much bulk/mass you're willing to sacrifice, because it impacts work speed/movement speed. So a mac 10 is a great sidearm because it doesn't impact their work or move speed much and can spray bullets at poo poo long enough to get away.

An autoshotgun would probably work very well but it's also likely to be quite heavy.

The AK74U from CE guns is probably a decent bet firing intermediate rifle cartridges but being quite compact. I think Rimsenal might come with a compact 5.56 carbine or something from greydale?

This is one of the reasons I'm considering the handcannon over something big like a shotgun or rifle; I have lots of low-tier androids running around doing scutwork, so it's not like one individual colonist hauling 4 stacks of corn instead of 5 or w/e is a huge efficiency loss, but it does add up over time.

ooh, I can't check (at work), can you get explosive rounds in .500 or 12 gauge? that might be a decent option

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

gonna make a CE extension that adds Frag-12 rounds and sawn-off shotguns, for the ultimate in sidearms

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

also I thought you could land again with SOS2, isn't that the point of the external hardpoints, to mount turrets and stuff?

if not, well, there goes my idea of making a ship that's just a long side of heavy turrets and Rimatomics railguns

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

So of you try to mortar a raid, do you just aim X tiles ahead of it and hope you compensated for travel time well enough? I haven't used mortars outside of taking out poison/psychic ships since a yearish ago, when a tantruming visitor decided to break the first thing he could find

which was an antigrain warhead

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Android Tiers ++ question: you can't really effectively use Skymind until you can make the VX chips and surrogates, whichis research past T4 androids, right? This guy makes really good mods but sadly all the documentation is in a video tutorial instead of, like... something I can read, and re-read.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

You can use the skymind to transfer consciousness between droids, so if you have one that's shot to poo poo rather than replacing the parts you can build a new chassis (or capture one :v:) and then transfer the mind.

But otherwise yeah you need the chips to start using the surrogate system, or the core to start playing with duplication.

I thought you needed the chips to even connect to Skymind? I had an antenna up, was selecting my androids and getting jack poo poo in the way of options.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Had a raid going badly for me, radioed up my allies... who arrived via drop pod in the one roof gap in my mountain settlement, in the middle of my research lab/medbay. Immediately I get the messages "Raiders from (ally name) have decided to take what they can and leave", as they pack up my multi-analyzer, my high-tech bench, my radio, a hospital bed and the medicine that they didn't crush with falling rock and immediately depart.

So I had to gun them down? And now they're my enemies, which is working as expected, but what the hell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Is there mod that'll make orbital trade beacons.look into shelves, weapon racks, etc.? Storage units from... whatever that mod is... would be really nice for making a proper warehouse of clothing items/silver/body parts/drugs but.as it stands I have to have everything strewn on the floor like an rear end in a top hat.