Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I just started playing Rimworld a day ago

A herd of 10 cats suddenly joined my colony and started eating everything what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ughhhh posted:

whats the point of making an additional settlement or assaulting nearby settlements? I just sent my first caravan and saw there those options on the menu.

Okay this is my second day playing, but assaulting seems obvious: instead of trading for what you want, wouldn't you rather just take it?

Making an additional settlement I guess is there in case you run out of some key resource on your map, but seems like a lot of extra work.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

lol I tamed a megasloth and released it on a bunch of raiders this owns

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

BattleMaster posted:

I want to try this mod but Rimworld is too violent, gruesome, and sad for me to want to inflict it on characters that look like that

I have the opposite concern, that my games will become too gruesome if I have a bunch of animu rat abominations running around begging me to exterminate them

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah all of the monument quests I've gotten are just rooms with tile floors. One was given to me by an artificial intelligence and was literally just a 3x4 slate room

You'd think they'd want some decorative poo poo in there but nope, build me a room

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Sex Hobbit posted:

It wasn't on the list up there so I'll just toss in that I'm already a big fan of this trading mod, especially since I routinely trade a poo poo load of stuff all at once. This makes it so you don't have to scroll up and down your list to see what you've bought/sold.

I love QOL mods like these, those look like super clean and nice improvements to the UI

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

oh cool an inspector spacetime family tree

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Leal posted:

Being in a relationship gives a really big boost, doesn't it? This is like the first colony I've had where a couple, well first a couple happened in the first place, and that they actually managed to stay a couple for more then a day. And hoo boy these two, they're loving twice a night. Its like a permanent +22 mood.

Its just so rare cause there is no one more caustic then rimworld colonists, these people are just colossal pricks to one another.

Yeah I have a colony with 3 relationships, people are constantly just super happy

But one relationship got divorced and that's a huge permanent malus, which sucks

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

B... Baka! It's not like I wanted to talk to you about psychoid tea!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I think it'd be better to have like just 1 or 2 overpowered colonists instead of an entire squad of them but that's just me

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Pharnakes posted:

No absolutely “use” pyromaniacs, just don’t keep them around. Pyromania is not inherited via kidney after all.

Okay well be sure to sell those kidneys to someone else just to be sure

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I think it makes sense that "gently caress did we really just harvest organs from this mook" effects everyone

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Megasloth meat is extremely high in bad cholesterol

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tias posted:

Thanks for your replies. I want to play "Old Rimworld" as in 1.0 and before, where my mods like Religion, Androids, Prepare Carefully, Snap Out! and Pick up and Haul work, but when I run the 1.0 beta (on which these used to work!?) it crashes.

IIRC Steam supports older versions of games via the Beta tab, but mods aren't version controlled in any way - if the latest version of a mod uses some feature or function call from 1.1 that wasn't available in 1.0, then the mod won't work in 1.0.

Some modders leave up older versions of mods that you can hunt down, sometimes even in the steam workshop as a separately-listed item, but ymmv

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jelly posted:

Thank you both for your recommendations. I did not have a sleeping spot assigned so it is likely both options will work!

It's helpful to have a designated animal sleeping area to help with food distribution too, so they eat kibble instead of something else

E.g. Create a room, put sleeping spots for your animals in there, put a stockpile zone that only accepts Kibble with Critical priority by the door

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 1, 2020

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

HelloSailorSign posted:

Do they still only do direct line proximity to food such that if the fridge is on the other side of their wall there’s a chance your kibble zone is “too far” and they sprint down hallways to eat fridge food?

I don't know but kibble doesn't need refrigeration so it can be literally next to their beds, which is neat

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

trade beacons are the worst mechanic ever, what the gently caress is this poo poo?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

animals that can haul are really useful, i keep a few donkeys around and they are constantly shuttling things around so that my humans don't have to. Way worth it in terms of labor, and I can sell them off if they breed too much. Plus they're helpful for bringing large amounts of trade goods to other settlements to be sold off

and then on top of that I'm on a map with elephants right now, and my main animal tamer has trained 2 of them into attack duty. They're super-heavy tanks. I had an infestation pop up near a narrow hallway and I just had the elephants block the hallway while all of my shooters stacked up behind them, like a living wall of meat and tusks

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

If there is a trade beacon in a room it should really designate the entire room for trade. Having to build multiple beacons for a single warehouse is pretty annoying, and god forbid you ever decide to expand its size.

The mod that lets beacons cover the entire map describe it as a "cheat". That just seems silly

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Zore posted:

Trade beacons do have a minor resource cost and there are certain drop pod raids that will hone in on a powered trade beacon. It also serves as a lure in general for sappers.

If you ever watch someone try to play 'optimally' it involves having either 1 beacon you manually cart around when a trade ship comes and otherwise leave powered in your killbox or a powered one in your kill box with the rest having dead power supplies to switch to when a trader isn't around.

That all seems cool and good but you could still have all of that if trade beacons filled in any room they're placed in

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

twice burned ice posted:

Your gripe about trade beacon's being the 'worst mechanic ever' is just because you've had to install more than one in a room?

Yes, I'm sorry if my use of hyperbole caused you any distress

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Beer feels kind of like a mod feature. All of the brewery stuff is off in its own little design space completely separate from everything else

It might have made more sense to have a Fermentation bench that produces low-quality Alcohol from any edible plant material as a default recipe. Then make beer a specialty form of alcohol production that requires an edible plant + hops to make Wort. Milk gets turned into longer-lasting cheese, etc.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Coolguye posted:

has anyone been able to come up with a good argument for making beer? even as a trade good it just seems like a giant waste of effort. grow tons of corn for the bulk traders and cocaine for the combat traders. then just do art if you want a luxury good for the exotic traders.

the rigamarole with hops to wort to beer is just such a pain and requires so much infrastructure.

Beer is very easy to research, requires almost no skill to produce (as in literally hops require a little less skill to plant than psychite), and beer is relatively safe to have around, even if you have addicts in your colony (but not perfectly safe). If you put fermenting barrels right next to the brewery then it's basically no extra effort, you just have to wait a little while for fermentation. It's a great trade good for a tribal start since you have extra workers but start with inferior tech and a penalty to most kinds of research

Yayo is worth more but it's a higher-level research option than beer, and a drug lab requires a small stack of components. So there's a lot more investment to get going. It's hands down the better thing to produce as a trade good, assuming you've got the right setup to not have people binging on it.

Smokeleaf is middle of the road, it's pretty safe like beer and only requires a little more research effort than beer

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Aug 5, 2020

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Danaru posted:

Wait what research does smokeleaf need? It must be something I always gloss over since I thought you just got it at the start.

Incidentally I never play tribal so that might be it too :v:

You need to research Drug production in order to build a Drug lab but that's it, then you can roll joints to your heart's content

e: Oh I guess you can just plop down a crafting spot too, I didn't know that. That's cool

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 5, 2020

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I'm still trying to find the option that has colonists remove their clothes prior to making cocaine, so that you can make sure they're not stealing any

Also where's my option to make random research chemicals that have unpredictable effects

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

As a newer player I think I'm starting to get why people wind up with hundreds of mods, the game has seemingly limitless potential and it's easy to envision improvements that other people might also want. I'm still working through a lot of the vanilla content so I'm mostly unmodded yet I still found several mods that were clear-cut improvements to the game, like Prepare Carefully and Allow Tool. Looking forward to some future game where I have wizards and nuclear power

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Does anyone know how to use Anima trees effectively? I put some meditation spots near mine but my tribal villagers hardly ever meditate near it, usually choosing someplace else when they do meditate

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ShadowHawk posted:

Assign the meditation spots

I did that already

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

lmaooooo Tynan, on why he included the "chance of insta-kill" in combat and such, as he's talking about the tweaks for the custom settings:

"if no one ever died in Game of Thrones it would be a weaker show. People who are looking for a more game-like experience [...] lets you tweak and influence how much that's gonna happen."

e: full changelog

https://ludeon.com/blog/2020/08/1-2-update-with-new-quests-psycasts-gear-and-more/

This actually does the opposite of what it sounds like; normally colonists can be instantly killed by various circumstances, such as a lucky bullet to the brain, but this new option lets you limit those outcomes so that normally lethal hits just down the colonist. The colonist can still bleed out but isn't killed by an arbitrary lucky shot. He feels like it's better to leave this option off, but it's exposed now for people who want to limit sudden fatality chance

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Katt posted:

Wouldn't that lucky bullet have to also do enough damage to destroy the brain too? It's not a coin flip for death.

My colonist have taken many bad headshots over a 50 year game but if the brain still has health left they just end up severely disabled but still alive. No one ever instantly died from a lucky shot.

A naked colonist once died from a lucky plasma sword to the neck but they were supposed to.

That's right, and this new option isn't causing anyone to instantly die who otherwise would have survived in 1.1. According to Tynan's 1.2 video, if your colonist would have been killed instantly by a big hit, this new option will sometimes cause incoming damage to be reduced enough for the pawn to survive. So if you had the option cranked to 100%, that lucky plasma sword hit would have downed the colonist instead of killing them. It's actually called "Colonist instant-kill prevention" in the UI; it reduces the likelihood of sudden death, it doesn't increase it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Coolguye posted:

god i really wish i would've been given access to the attacker instant death chance rather than the colonist instant death chance with this patch. that actually bugs me more than instant brain destruction just because at least instant brain destruction goes to how bad armor is for enemies, too.

i know there's a mod for that, but it would've been a lot better to just have it in vanilla.

Note that instant death prevention is actually a new feature, it probably only got implemented for colonists because that was the focus: to let players prevent their pawns from dying suddenly quite as often .

I think it'd be fun to be able to play Prison Architect inside of Rimworld, personally, so maybe the same feature will get extended to attackers later

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I'm liking the UI improvements and the new ceremony for bestowing titles, since the ceremony is a quest with a long timeout it's really easy to wait for a raid or some other catastrophic thing to get the squadron of troopers to help out with your defenses, but only if you have your landing pad well-positioned for this

Since torches are a type of focus now for pyromaniacs they come with a green bubble to denote meditation range, but it's also super helpful as a ruler for determining lighting diameters

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

My first Yeoman got the new psycast that reduces prisoner resistance, that's a super nice thing to have in a new colony

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah it's cool that that kind of alchemy exists in vanilla

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I like the new visitors feature, just finished hosting my first group of friends. Made plans to expand the organ harvesting freezer to "accommodate" future groups

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Aha! Didn't know I could do that. What tab is that under?

Is convincing prisoners to join the group my only early-game way of adding pawns?

There's a stonecutting bench for cutting chunks into blocks, it's pretty labor intensive. At the start of the game I just use wood for everything and transition to stone later

Prisoner recruitment is probably the most consistent way, there are a bunch of alternatives but whether they're available comes down to RNG. Sometimes you can get a recruitment as a quest reward. Sometimes a pawn literally falls from the sky. In 1.2 the guest quests can randomly result in recruitment if they like you enough. Probably 80% of my pawns were prisoners though

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Just define a function to integrate over to get the area of the surface

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I have some simple mod ideas but I don't know if anyone would want them, if they're feasible, or if they already exist

Independence traits - Add an "Independent" trait to pawn creation. This trait will cause the pawn to sometimes ignore job priorities that you assign to it, based on passion - you may have assigned Mining as Priority 1 to Mary Ann but she would really rather go Plant things right now, because she's Very Passionate in that, so she ignores her priority to goof off in the fields; you can still force them back to work manually. In exchange, they have an additional bonus to learning passionate traits. Fiercely Independent is a more extreme form of Independent, it comes with a mood boost when the pawn allowed to do what they want and a mood loss when forced to do something else.

Fermentation - Renames the Brewery bench (maybe to Fermentation Table?) and adds just a handful of fermentation recipes. Convert a variety of nutritious plants into Alcohol, which takes the place of beer as a low-value recreation item. Beer is more valuable, but wort now requires some other nutrition + hops instead of just hops. "Create Preserves" is a recipe that seeks out the soonest-rotting food item and converts it into slightly longer-lasting preserved equivalents - milk becomes cheese, berries become jam, raw meat gets cured, etc.
(I've seen the Alcohol Expanded mod, which I think goes in the wrong direction - it adds realism at the cost of conciseness and convenience. Vanilla Brewing Expanded has a similar problem - too many new things to be built, and also too much fluff in the sheer quantity of inputs and outputs)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I'd dump any independent tbh. Having someone fill a random bill if they're not the top pawn randomly would be hell.

I think of it as encouraged specialization - if an Independent is passionate about plants, then they won't randomly switch out of a plants job, as they're already working on something that they're passionate about. But if you have them prioritized on mining when they're not passionate about mining then sometimes they'll say "gently caress this, I am a passionate artist, I want to go make a sculpture"

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Aug 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Those are some good questions and I'm thinking:

1) The easiest implementation is probably to have the independence check work in the same way as recreation, sleep, food, etc. checks. So a pawn can stop working on constructing a wall because they got hungry or bored, but I think things like surgeries, tending, talking to prisoners, etc aren't normally interrupted by those checks because they're all only 1 "unit" of work, so the pawn normally finish those kinds of tasks unless the player intervenes.

2) I don't want to change how force-assignment and drafting work, you'd still be able to force-assign tasks or use drafting to make them re-check their task list.

3) Pawns should just act normally when there's no available passion task. Everything else about task checking is the same, but sometimes when they check for new tasks they'll place passionate tasks at higher priority than non-passionate tasks, and very passionate tasks at the highest priority.